• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGF 2012 finalists announced

Tiktaalik

http://igf.com/2012/01/2012_independent_games_festiva_3.html

=====================
Excellence In Visual Art

Botanicula (Amanita Design)
Dear Esther (thechineseroom)
Lume (State Of Play Games)
Mirage (Mario von Rickenbach)
Wonderputt (Damp Gnat)

Honorable mentions: Beat Sneak Bandit (Simogo); Dustforce (Hitbox Team); Fader (Chris Makris); Proun (Joost van Dongen); Toren (Swordtales)

Technical Excellence

Antichamber (Demruth)
Fez (Polytron)
Prom Week (Expressive Intelligence Studio, UC Santa Cruz)
Realm of the Mad God (Wild Shadow Studios & Spry Fox)
Spelunky (Mossmouth)

Honorable mentions: Frozen Synapse (Mode 7 Games); Nitronic Rush (DigiPen Institute of Technology); Reflow (Xymatic); Super T.I.M.E Force (Capy); Tiny and Big - Grandpa's Leftovers (Black Pants)

Excellence In Design

Atom Zombie Smasher (Blendo Games)
English Country Tune (Stephen Lavelle)
Frozen Synapse (Mode 7 Games)
Gunpoint (Tom Francis, John Roberts and Fabian van Dommelen)
Spelunky (Mossmouth)

Honorable mentions: Faraway (Steph Thirion); FTL (Justin Ma & Matthew Davis); Johann Sebastian Joust (Die Gute Fabrik); SpaceChem (Zachtronics Industries); Where Is My Heart (Die Gute Fabrik)

Excellence In Audio

Botanicula (Amanita Design)
Pugs Luv Beats (Lucky Frame)
To The Moon (Freebird Games)
Waking Mars (Tiger Style)

Honorable mentions: Beatbuddy (THREAKS); Beat Sneak Bandit (Simogo); Fez (Polytron); Proteus (Ed Key and David Kanaga); Where Is My Heart (Die Gute Fabrik)

Best Mobile Game

ASYNC Corp (Powerhead Games)
Beat Sneak Bandit (Simogo)
Faraway (Steph Thirion)
Ridiculous Fishing (Vlambeer)
Waking Mars (Tiger Style)

Honorable mentions: Fingle (Game Oven Studios); Hundreds (SemiSecret and aeiowu); iBlast Moki 2 (Godzilab); Temple Run (Imangi Studios); Tentacles (Press Play ApS)

Nuovo Award
[Designed 'to honor abstract, shortform, and unconventional game development'.]

At a Distance (Terry Cavanagh)
Fingle (Game Oven Studios)
GIRP (Bennett Foddy)
Proteus (Ed Key and David Kanaga)
Johann Sebastian Joust (Die Gute Fabrik)
Storyteller (Daniel Benmergui)
Way (CoCo & Co.)

Honorable mentions: Deep Sea (WRAUGHK); Four Letter Word (Terry Cavanagh); GlitchHiker (Aardbever); Hundreds (SemiSecret and aeiowu); POP (Rob Lach)

Seumas McNally Grand Prize

Fez (Polytron)
Frozen Synapse (Mode 7 Games)
Johann Sebastian Joust (Die Gute Fabrik)
Spelunky (Mossmouth)

Honorable mentions: Antichamber (Demruth); FTL (Justin Ma & Matthew Davis); Proteus (Ed Key and David Kanaga); SpaceChem (Zachtronics Industries); Where Is My Heart (Die Gute Fabrik)

=====================

Links to more info on each game at the IGF site.

bluemax

Banned
Is there any obvious reason I'm missing why Bastion seems to not have been considered? That game is great.

It was backed by a major publisher. Its also possible they didn't submit it to the IGF.

Lulz at Fez being up for the Seamus McNally Grand Prize. That game is vaporware.

Wait its up for technical excellence as well? How do you give a game that only exists in a several years old trailer technical excellence?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Rooting for Frozen Synapse. It has basically reinvented how people look at turn based tactical combat.

Does the IGF not limit its awards to which year they were released or something? Some of these games are really old, and others aren't even out yet.

kasavin

Is there any obvious reason I'm missing why Bastion seems to not have been considered? That game is great.

We entered a work-in-progress build of game in the 2011 competition and got nominated for Excellence in Visual Art and Excellence in Audio. We didn't want to resubmit the game again this year as we felt we already had our shot.

Once again there are lots of great games on the list of finalists this time around. Excited to see how it goes!

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
From what I read in an interview, fez is all but sent for xbla certification and such. They probably submitted a nearly feature complete copy for this

Mimir

I'm hoping Frozen Synapse wins, though it's up against some quality games. Sad to see that SpaceChem and Pineapple Smash Crew didn't get any nominations, though at least SpaceChem got a couple of Honorable Mentions.

Gunpoint looks absolutely fantastic! Some of those solutions in the trailer are so crazy over the top that I want to play this game just to figure out the most ridiculous solutions.

Came in to talk about the Gunpoint trailer but have been beaten to it.
Fantastic looking puzzler and a great idea too.
Juat love IGF time, seeing some fantastic stuff this year, some I'm familiar with and some I'm not. Good luck to all entrants.

Riposte

I'm hoping Frozen Synapse wins, though it's up against some quality games. Sad to see that SpaceChem and Pineapple Smash Crew didn't get any nominations, though at least SpaceChem got a couple of Honorable Mentions.

Sorry, this isn't the place to celebrate good games.

Dear Esther win something please. I loved its narrative.

Winners list:
http://igf.com/2012/03/fourteenth_annual_independent_.html

Seumas McNally Grand Prize ($30,000)
Fez, by Polytron

Nuovo Award ($5,000)
Storyteller, by Daniel Benmergui

Excellence in Visual Art ($3,000)
Dear Esther, by thechineseroom

Technical Excellence ($3,000)
Antichamber, by Demruth

Excellence in Design ($3,000)
Spelunky, by Mossmouth