• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGF 2016 Finalists announced (Undertale, Beginner's Guide, SuperHOT, etc.)

Links to information about each game at the site
http://igf.com/2016/01/2016_independent_games_festiva_1.html

Winners are revealed/presented on March 16th
Excellence in Visual Art
  • Mini Metro (Dinosaur Polo Club)
  • Panoramical (Fernando Ramallo & David Kanaga)
  • Gnog (KO_OP)
  • Armello (League of Geeks)
  • Oxenfree (Night School Studio)
  • Darkest Dungeon (Red Hook Studios Inc.)
Honorable Mentions: Forkride Grilltime Sloth (Black Pants Game Studio [Sebastian Stamm]); Epistory - Typing Chronicles (Fishing Cactus); Kingdom (noio & Licorice); Alto's Adventure (Snowman); Future Unfolding (Spaces of Play); Astroneer (System Era Softworks)
---
Excellence in Narrative
  • The Beginner's Guide (Everything Unlimited Ltd.)
  • Black Closet (Hanako Games)
  • That Dragon, Cancer (Numinous Games)
  • Her Story (Sam Barlow)
  • Undertale (Toby Fox)
  • The Magic Circle (Question)
Honorable Mentions: Oxenfree (Night School Studio); Orion Trail (Schell Games); Cibele (Star Maid Games); Contradiction (Tim Follin / Baggy Cat Ltd); The Writer Will Do Something (Tom Bissell and Matthew S. Burns)
---
Excellence in Design
  • Kingdom (noio & Licorice)
  • Her Story (Sam Barlow)
  • Keep Talking & Nobody Explodes (Steel Crate Games)
  • Superhot (SUPERHOT)
  • Infinifactory (Zachtronics)
Honorable Mentions: Gang Beasts (Boneloaf); Imbroglio (Michael Brough); Duskers (Misfits Attic); Chaos Reborn (Snapshot Games); TIS-100 (Zachtronics); Soft Body (Zeke Virant)
---
Excellence in Audio
  • That Dragon, Cancer (Numinous Games)
  • Lumini (Speelbaars)
  • Undertale (Toby Fox)
Honorable Mentions: Heart Forth, Alicia (Alonso Martin); The Beginner's Guide (Everything Unlimited Ltd.); Gnog (KO_OP); Oxenfree (Night School Studio); Kingdom (noio & Licorice); Inside My Radio (Seaven Studio)
---
Nuovo Award
  • The Beginner's Guide (Everything Unlimited Ltd.)
  • Fantastic Contraption (Northway Games & Radial Games)
  • Orchids To Dusk (Pol Clarissou)
  • Her Story (Sam Barlow)
  • Cibele (Star Maid Games)
  • Progress (Tim Garbos, Martin Kvale and Joel Nyström)
Honorable Mentions: Enough (cabbibo); Sentree (Glitchnap); Affordable Space Adventures (KnapNok Games and Nifflas' Games); Vignettes (Pol Clarissou, Armel Gibson); Future Unfolding (Spaces of Play); Sage Solitaire (Zach Gage); TIS-100 (Zachtronics)
---
Best Student Game
  • Pitfall Planet (Bonfire Games)
  • Ape Out (Gabe Cuzzillo)
  • Beglitched (Jenny Jiao Hsia & Alec Thomson)
  • Circa Infinity (Kenny Sun)
  • Orchids To Dusk (Pol Clarissou)
  • Chambara (team ok)
Honorable Mentions: Anarcute (Anarteam); Gathering Sky (A Stranger Gravity); Not Everything is Flammable (DAM: David Shiyang Liu, Alex Hu and Mac Lotze); FAR (Mr. Whale's Game Service); Sumer (Studio Wumpus); Bad Blood (Winnie Song)
---
Seumas McNally Grand Prize
  • Her Story (Sam Barlow)
  • Superhot (SUPERHOT)
  • Undertale (Toby Fox)
Honorable Mentions: The Beginner's Guide (Everything Unlimited Ltd.); Panoramical (Fernando Ramallo & David Kanaga); Affordable Space Adventures (KnapNok Games and Nifflas' Games); Twelve Minutes (Luis Antonio); Oxenfree (Night School Studio); That Dragon, Cancer (Numinous Games); Cibele (Star Maid Games); Soft Body (Zeke Virant)

eot

Banned
It's weird to mostly see released games on that list, but when they changed the rules so that you can't re-submit if you've been nominated for an award that was inevitable.

Zia

Nice to see SUPERHOT get some nods. Can't remember the last time a game has blown me away like it has.

Edit: Oh, also nice to see Soft Body receive some honorable mentions. I think it's really special... replaced Everyday Shooter as my definitive art-twin-stick.

Been waiting for Super Hot to drop on Xbox like forever, it seems.

Now I'm away to Google the games I've never heard of.

Thanks for posting OP :)

Zia

Really rooting for Darkest Dungeon and Super Hot!

I really need to revisit Darkest Dungeon. I played like 20 hours in three days shortly after its Early Access launch and deleted it with the intention of revisiting 1.0. It has a bit of that Rogue Legacy grind feel that I dislike, but otherwise I remember being super enthralled.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Superhot is such a cool idea. Goddamn those first few times you try it your mind just explodes with the possibilities. Glad to see it up for nomination here.

I really need to revisit Darkest Dungeon. I played like 20 hours in three days shortly after its Early Access launch and deleted it with the intention of revisiting 1.0. It has a bit of that Rogue Legacy grind feel that I dislike, but otherwise I remember being super enthralled.

Luckily for you Darkest Dungeon is hitting 1.0 very soon! A great time to dive in and check it out.

New version? Brb going to google.
Oh, man, you're in for a treat. The devs are taking everything that was awesome about the game jam version and cranking that up to eleven

Here's some beta footage from July
You slice bullets in half with a katana, throw stuff to stun enemies, grab falling guns out of the air, etc.
AthleticImportantHadrosaurus.gif
RealisticLivelyBlackandtancoonhound.gif

GloriousUnrulyBudgie.gif
QuestionableUnevenBangeltiger.gif

MrS

Banned
Mini Metro is awesome, hope it bags some awards. Undertale really deserves that sound award for sure.

The winners were announced today

Excellence in Narrative
Her Story (Sam Barlow)

Excellence in Audio
Mini Metro (Dinosaur Polo Club)

Excellence in Design
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes (Steel Crate Games)

Excellence in Visual Art
Oxenfree (Night School Studio)

ID@Xbox Rising Star Award
(Girls Make Games - The Hole Story)

Nuovo Award
Cibele (Star Maid Games)

Best Student Game
Beglitched (Jennifer Jiao Hsia and Alec Thomson)

Audience Award
Undertale (Toby Fox)

Her Story (Sam Barlow)

Fat4all

Banned
The winners were announced today

Excellence in Narrative
Her Story (Sam Barlow)

Excellence in Audio
Mini Metro (Dinosaur Polo Club)

Excellence in Design
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes (Steel Crate Games)

Audience Award
Undertale (Toby Fox)

Her Story (Sam Barlow)

Her Story and Mini Metro love! No surprise to see Undertale get Audience Award, I would of voted for it as well. KTANE is a blast to play with friends, highly recommended.

chadskin

Bloodborne robbed AGAIN.

No seriously, very happy about the awards for Her Story, Mini Metro and Oxenfree, all three excellent games I thoroughly enjoyed.

Top Bottom