• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Important new Pokemon announcement coming on Jan 8 [Up: Hyped By NA Twitter]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I imagine it has to do with dark types having minds full of evil. So if a psychic pokemon tried reading their minds, they would lose focus.

That and psychics already have Miracle Eye move which is like Foreseight and Odor Sleuth except for psychic -> dark. And it's because of dark types' pragmatism being full on non-predictability that makes them immune to psychic.

You guys have got it all wrong. The reason Psychic-types are weak to Bug, Dark and Ghost is because Entomophobia, Nyktophobia and Ectophobia are the three most common fears, and thus make it hard for Psychic-types to concentrate. Psychic doesn't affect Dark-type because the fear completely overtakes their minds, and it's not very effective against Steel-types because they rely on their bodies rather than their minds to fight.

Berordn

They won't do Rock.

It messes things up, because Rock is resistant to Normal...all early-game Pokemon tend to use Normal-type attacks, thus Rock would have an unfair advantage from the get-go.

There's also typically a lot of grass Pokemon on early routes, often with absorb or vine whip. It could work if they don't start the game with a rival battle, since that would be somewhat unfair.

IHaveIce

Banned
You guys have got it all wrong. The reason Psychic-types are weak to Bug, Dark and Ghost is because Entomophobia, Nyktophobia and Ectophobia are the three most common fears, and thus make it hard for Psychic-types to concentrate. Psychic doesn't affect Dark-type because the fear completely overtakes their minds, and it's not very effective against Steel-types because they rely on their bodies rather than their minds to fight.

You could argue then why it is effective agains Fighting

Berordn

Organized fighters have to have as much mental focus as they do physical strength. Combat pragmatism just takes the cheap shots, fighters maintain a stance and fight with finesse, which is easily lost when they're being bombarded mentally.

Boss Doggie

I thought the bug weakness was more of bug minds being super complex or something, but that explanation works.

Organized fighters have to have as much mental focus as they do physical strength. Combat pragmatism just takes the cheap shots, fighters maintain a stance and fight with a finesse.

I think he means fighting being weak to psychic

Fighters tend to be easy to pluck mentally.

JordanN

Banned
Edit: I think it comes down to a battle of wits. Fighting types aren't smart enough to resist a psychic so they can easily be caught off guard/manipulated.

Think of it as Fighting types having an IQ of 100 whereas a Psychic is several times that.

Wiz

Going by Japanese release dates:

Red/Green/Blue - 1996
Gold/Silver - 1999
Ruby/Sapphire - 2002
Diamond/Pearl - 2006
Black/White - 2010

So yeah. Gen VI will either be this year or the next.

Boss Doggie

With that said go blame the machamp line for propagating that. Many new fighting types tend to be "attuned" despite being non psychic (see Lucario) or are actually pretty smart despite non psychic (Conkeldurr).

It seems like its a new mainline game which is good. Whether its 6th Gen, B&W3, or R/S remakes I'm there...even if its on DS again :lol

I still haven't gotten around to B&W2 yet >_< I honesly hope its R/S remakes since I wanna catch them all and its hard on the GBA versions since no DS style sleep mode really kills it. Its also about time for a remake of R/B again. I fully expect that within the next 3 years so it'll be interesting to see how its done.

I'd rather have it be 2D but it seems like its gonna be in 3D. Hope they pull it off.

Keyouta

I'm pretty set that it will be an announcement of Gen VI with probably the names of the games plus a silhouette or two.

bon

this is me waiting for tuesday

fdY0Q.gif

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Going by Japanese release dates:

Red/Green/Blue - 1996
Gold/Silver - 1999
Ruby/Sapphire - 2002
Diamond/Pearl - 2006
Black/White - 2010

So yeah. Gen VI will either be this year or the next.

Seeing this reminded me that the west needs a break.

2006: -
2007: Diamond / Pearl
2008: -
2009: Platinum
2010: Heart Gold / Superior Silver
2011: Black / White
2012: Black 2 / White 2
2013: ?

Even with the simultaneous announcement surely they'll slide Gen VI to March '14 in the west right? I guess we'll see just how badly NoA & NoE need a 3DS seller...

I'd rather have it be 2D but it seems like its gonna be in 3D. Hope they pull it off.
I think the pkmn'll still be sprites. Not only do sprites rule but they gotta sell them console Staoloution "now battle your pkmn in 3d!" games somehow!

Even with the simultaneous announcement surely they'll slide Gen VI to March '14 in the west right? I guess we'll see just how badly NoA & NoE need a 3DS seller...
If Japan gets it fall 2013, we'll get it spring 2014 - nothing is due this year for the west.

But B2/W2 came out in 2012!

ALthough 3rd versions have usually been handled by the same team as the main games, BW2 was developed by the 'remake' or second team, leaving the main team free to have been developing Gen 6 the whole time. Given the release schedules, it may have been a conscious decision not to delay the 3DS games too long by burdening the team and not wanting RS remakes to be the first games on 3DS.

I think the pkmn'll still be sprites. Not only do sprites rule but they gotta sell them console Staoloution "now battle your pkmn in 3d!" games somehow!

Yeah.. but we have the Pokedex 3D models. They have every pokemon made and modeled already, they just need to make the new ones.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
If Japan gets it fall 2013, we'll get it spring 2014 - nothing is due this year for the west.
B2/W2 was the speediest localization & exception to finally get the DS outta the way in the west then?

Yeah.. but we have the Pokedex 3D models. They have every pokemon made and modeled already, they just need to make the new ones.
Those were all used in Battle Revolution / PokéPark / PokéPark 2. Not like they made 'em specifically for that application. And since those were all spinoffs, did Game Freak even make those models? I doubt they'd use old outsourced materials for their revolution!

Those were all used in Battle Revolution / PokéPark / PokéPark 2. Not like they made 'em specifically for that application. And since those were all spinoffs, did Game Freak even make those models? I doubt they'd use old outsourced materials for their revolution!

IIRC, the older Pokemon were remodelled for the first time ever and I think Creatures is credited with their production.

Ragus

Banned
Monster Hunter in Japan = handheld gaming
Pokemon in Japan = handheld gaming

Now, we have the same Monster Hunter on both 3DS and WiiU.

So, would it really be so bizzare if there were gen VI pokemon games, both on 3DS and WiiU?

So, would it really be so bizzare if there were gen VI pokemon games, both on 3DS and WiiU?

Yes. No streetpass, and it's tougher for trading and battling on the go. It's a staple of the series and part of why they make two versions.

If we ever get a console pokemon it will be a very differnt experiance, I welcome that and there's many narratives it can take but I don't want the same game ported to a console. I would like it to be a unique experiance.

B2/W2 was the speediest localization & exception to finally get the DS outta the way in the west then?
It was fast (about 4 months vs. 6 months). But again, we'll definitely see it in 2014 if Japan gets it in the fall (they've been getting the main pair released in September for a while now).

I mean, if Nintendo actually manages to get it out over here before Christmas... whoa.

Well, most of the old models are newly remodeled in Dex 3D Pro. Also, I suspect they'll get used again, and again, and again... for next gen in any Pokemon game, spinoff or no, 3DS or Wii U. They aren't gonna ignore all those models for sprites in the next games, I can almost guarantee it.

Capcom have no stake in pushing 3DS sales. Nintendo do need to do so in the west and Pokemon is the trump in doing so.

Y'know for those that wanted another trio to replace Grass/Fire/Water you could always want Rock/Fighting/Flying. It's not like pure-Flying's never been done before and it's not as edgy as Dark/Fighting/Psychic.

I noticed recently that there's like only one pure Flying. let's go for it.

Keyouta

I reckon it will be like the Black and White confirmation; names, mascots and very rough launch window.

I could see that happening, especially since this reveal is being hyped up worldwide, wouldn't really want it to be just names I guess.

I wonder what they'll name this next pair.

Sandfox

Game Freak built the game around it being handheld only and I don't think they're going to change it any time soon.

It was fast (about 4 months vs. 6 months). But again, we'll definitely see it in 2014 if Japan gets it in the fall (they've been getting the main pair released in September for a while now).

I mean, if Nintendo actually manages to get it out over here before Christmas... whoa.

Well, most of the old models are newly remodeled in Dex 3D Pro. Also, I suspect they'll get used again, and again, and again... for next gen in any Pokemon game, spinoff or no, 3DS or Wii U. They aren't gonna ignore all those models for sprites in the next games, I can almost guarantee it.

They need to get it out here this fall, spring '14 at the absolute latest. It would help give the 3DS the boost it needs. Also totally agree with the 3D models, vs sprites.

Ae they really going to ignore 3D models ready to go, just to make new high res sprites. Since they would need new sprite models at a higher resolution for the 3DS.

PaineReign

Neo Member
Hype killer: could it literally be nothing more than a new Pokemon Movie? I assume they still make those, and a single twitter post does not sound like PR enough for a new mainline game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom