• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Important new Pokemon announcement coming on Jan 8 [Up: Hyped By NA Twitter]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenki

They should aim at a Winter release in the West. Christmas + Pokémon = 3DS++++

But the game probably will arrive during Spring, as always.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hype killer: could it literally be nothing more than a new Pokemon Movie? I assume they still make those, and a single twitter post does not sound like PR enough for a new mainline game.

Next Pokémon movie has already been announced and shown off a bit. Considering how much this is getting hyped up by The Pokémon Company and Masuda-san, I think it's safe to assume it's something big.

Santiako

If it's a new mainline Pokemon game, they really need to release it before the holidays in the west, 3DS may need the extra push.

Hype killer: could it literally be nothing more than a new Pokemon Movie? I assume they still make those, and a single twitter post does not sound like PR enough for a new mainline game.
No chance - if Masuda is on board the international hype train, it's game-related.

Sandfox

They already revealed the movie for 2013 and they revealed a trailer last month. I'm not expecting them to go all out and announce a new game but I think we may get a new Pokemon.

They need to get it out here this fall, spring '14 at the absolute latest. It would help give the 3DS the boost it needs.
Of that... I don't think we'll see it before spring 2014, if it comes to Japan in September. Unless they've increased their staffing and such that allows them to work on all the versions at the same time (I think I've read that they've switched to doing the euro languages off the Japanese script, rather than the English one), I don't think they can reduce that 6 month turnaround time to less than 2 months that easily. It would be awesome, but maybe not until they become bigger than they are now.

Drago

A September release in Japan, December release worldwide would be fine by me. This game coming out during the holidays (+ a limited edition 3DS bundle as well) would sell shitloads.

That's around a 3 month turnaround, which was how long it took to get BW2 out right?

Sandfox

Now that I think about it the new games aren't going to come out before the movie since its a Best Wishes movie and the new anime is going to start the same time as the games release. This means that we won't be seeing the new games until around September and Gamefreak isn't going to announce the games 8 months early and will instead wait until April like they usually do.

I'm 100% convinced that we are getting something 6th gen related but not the actual games.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Ae they really going to ignore 3D models ready to go, just to make new high res sprites. Since they would need new sprite models at a higher resolution for the 3DS.
I have a feeling they'd get called out & painted as extremely lazy if they went with the Pokédex 3D models and called it a day. It may work for spinoffs but new generations are to be treated as major new games! They gotta go with something new & not seen before as opposed to what we've already seen for the past couple years.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The Dutch site, /nl/, doesn't.

No new Pokémon game in Holland :'(.

They games have never been actually translated into Dutch, have they?

I have a feeling they'd get called out & painted as extremely lazy if they went with the Pokédex 3D models and called it a day. It may work for spinoffs but new generations are to be treated as major new games! They gotta go with something new & not seen before as opposed to what we've already seen for the past couple years.

Nothing I've seen on the 3DS indicates that the system would be able to handle those 3D models at that quality if more than one or two were shown on the screen at any given time. The Pokédex 3D models are of a very high quality.

What, a handheld true pokemon game with new mons and 3D models is certainly some I've never seen before.

Tagg9

What are you talking about? The 3D Pokemon models look great, and have yet to be featured in a main handheld title.

Neiteio

The models in Pokedex 3D Pro are great. Plus, they currently only have one animation each (two animations for Reshiram and Zekrom). Using the models in Gen VI would allow them to add different animations for their different moves. No small feat, and it'd provide plenty of freshness. And then of course there'll be all the new models for the new Pokemon.

Now that I think about it the new games aren't going to come out before the movie since its a Best Wishes movie and the new anime is going to start the same time as the games release. This means that we won't be seeing the new games until around September and Gamefreak isn't going to announce the games 8 months early and will instead wait until April like they usually do.
Black and White were announced (vaguely) in January.

udivision

This is game freak we're talking about. Graphically, they haven't caught up to Pokemon Stadium for the N64 yet.

This is game freak we're talking about. Graphically, they haven't caught up to Pokemon Stadium for the N64 yet.

stadium09.jpg
charizard.jpg

You be the judge.

JordanN

Banned
What are you talking about? The 3D Pokemon models look great, and have yet to be featured in a main handheld title.
Yeah, I don't get it either. The models aren't from any last gen console, they were built around 3DS specs (as evident with pokemon such as Eelektross that clearly sports EMBM bumpmapping). Textures are also very high res too.

Nothing I've seen on the 3DS indicates that the system would be able to handle those 3D models at that quality if more than one or two were shown on the screen at any given time. The Pokédex 3D models are of a very high quality.
I think the textures are fine, but they might have to drop the polycount and self shadows completely for an actual game situation.

Anth0ny

Yeah, like it or not, sprites are done. There's no way they made all those 600+ detailed models exclusively for Pokedex 3D.

TreIII

Yeah, like it or not, sprites are done. There's no way they made all those 600+ detailed models exclusively for Pokedex 3D.

Yeah, I've come to grips with the fact that whenever PKMN jumped to the 3DS, sprites probably wouldn't make the jump.

Still, I'll miss them all the same. 2D worked just as well with the PKMN series as it did with the Mother series.

But anyway, I wouldn't mind so much if the rumors came to pass.

Forkball

I'll miss Pokemon sprites.

I won't miss the bizarre perfect geometrical layout. What mountain has perfectly square corners?

zroid

Banned
I'll miss Pokemon sprites.

I won't miss the bizarre perfect geometrical layout. What mountain has perfectly square corners?

I wouldn't assume that the look of the towns and fields will change all that much. After all, the grid-based "steps" are kind of a big deal in these games.

Dex 3D showed off up to 6 Pokemon on screen at the same time (through AR). So they could easily manage triple battles at least.

zroid

Banned
The battles are already too slow for my liking. I hope they don't pad them further with pointless animations and camera work.

Well that would be pretty boring if we got fully polygonal monsters and no cinematic flair whatsoever. If possible I'd rather like to turn that stuff on for key battles like those against your rival or gym leaders.

And keep everything else moving at a steadier clip. Customization is good.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
They games have never been actually translated into Dutch, have they?

The vast majority of games aren't translated here and I'm not too sad about that. This gen had some major releases like Uncharted and the AC games translated but I didn't play those versions.

You could probably turn off animations like you can in the current engine.
You shouldn't have to. BW at least had the animation and the text scrolling simultaneously.

Waiting for the text to scroll then waiting for the animation to start was a big part of the reason prior gens had slower battles though. That and the "It's raining" and "Pidgey is hurt by poison" repeating messages.

What if, after beating the League, you find out that the games took place in Poke-New Jersey, and after you beat the E4, you take your first steps into Unova

gosox333

What if it's a reboot?

I know that this gen has been all about ignoring patterns, but it seems like it's every other generation that serves as the "reboot". R/S were to an extent, and B/W most definitely were, while G/S and D/P were all about expanding on older Pokemon.

We'll see, though. Anything can happen.

Drago

Gen VI reveal. Just the game names and logos, plus the main legendaries and/or starters. Fall 2013 for Japan, Holiday 2013 worldwide.

I may be a bit too hopeful though, especially with the dates.

Kyzer

Banned
It will be an announcement of an announcement, with 3.4 seconds of footage and a teaser for some random pokemon silhouette from the new movie that it will take them a month to get around to revealing

I know that this gen has been all about ignoring patterns, but it seems like it's every other generation that serves as the "reboot". R/S were to an extent, and B/W most definitely were, while G/S and D/P were all about expanding on older Pokemon.

Nah it's the other way around.

Black and White was a pseudo reboot, starting in a region with no new Pokemon and having a slight "Back to basics" feel.

Ruby and Sapphire was a true reboot. The entire way Pokemon existed in the data changed. A whole lot of stuff was changed and uprooted. Also not all Pokemon were even available when Generation III was first released. Plus there's the whole fact that the three versions of Generation three are Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. Gemstones that are.... Red, Blue, and Green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom