• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGamerChick: NX more powerful than PS4/XB1, easy to develop for [rumor]

Sandfox

This has nothing to with the "leak" at hand, but i always felt like releasing your console first when trailing, isn't the best option. People will wait to see what the market leader is doing next, and by the time they release their console, you'll be looking like a fool with half a dozen sales and already branded a failure. Or maybe it's more like, as long as the industry leader doesn't fuck up, it doesn't matter when consoles release, it will remain in the leading position.

Still, I'm a bit worried for Nintendo to release the NX three years after XBOne and PS4 but not being much more powerful. Are the PS4.5 and XBOne2 completely new systems? If not, how long are they supposed to stay on the market?

The more i think about it, Nintendo really needs to go the route of complete crossplay between handheld and console to entice both gamers and developers. A worthwile addition, gamecentric, not a gimmick. It might be their best shot, and it might just be the best thing they ever did. And they're gonna need it.
If they were we wouldn't be refering to them by these names.

I should hope so, the ps4/xb1 are several years old now.

Agreed. Then when the PS5 and XBox Two comes out, it will be significantly weaker again. I think Nintendo should try to make the NX significantly more powerful than the XBox One and PS4 to remain relevant throughout this generation and possibly even the next specification-wise. Honestly though, the issue is probably more with third party support than power I think, especially if Nintendo fans neglect third party offering again.

this fucking better be true

there is ZERO reason for this not to be true besides "lol nintendo"

I absolutely think that the lack of power hurt Nintendo in this generation (among other things), and while "power" isn't especially important to me, it seems foolish not to come out the gate with a strong console, especially considering that XBO.5/PS4.5 are apparently a thing.

That said (and I'm not giving this particular rumor credibility, just speaking in general) if the NX is really easy to develop for, that might make it as appealing as the new current gen upgrades.

tl;dr I agree with you. But who fucking knows what's going to happen. It's goddamned Nintendo.

The speculation is getting fun, though. :)

This has nothing to with the "leak" at hand, but i always felt like releasing your console first when trailing, isn't the best option. People will wait to see what the market leader is doing next, and by the time they release their console, you'll be looking like a fool with half a dozen sales and already branded a failure. Or maybe it's more like, as long as the industry leader doesn't fuck up, it doesn't matter when consoles release, it will remain in the leading position.

Still, I'm a bit worried for Nintendo to release the NX three years after XBOne and PS4 but not being much more powerful. Are the PS4.5 and XBOne2 completely new systems? If not, how long are they supposed to stay on the market?

The more i think about it, Nintendo really needs to go the route of complete crossplay between handheld and console to entice both gamers and developers. A worthwile addition, gamecentric, not a gimmick. It might be their best shot, and it might just be the best thing they ever did. And they're gonna need it.

I absolutely think that the lack of power hurt Nintendo in this generation (among other things), and while "power" isn't especially important to me, it seems foolish not to come out the gate with a strong console, especially considering that XBO.5/PS4.5 are apparently a thing.

That said (and I'm not giving this particular rumor credibility, just speaking in general) if the NX is really easy to develop for, that might make it as appealing as the new current gen upgrades.

tl;dr I agree with you. But who fucking knows what's going to happen. It's goddamned Nintendo.

The speculation is getting fun, though. :)

Wait. There is an XBox One2? First PS4.5 and now another XBox? I thought the upgradeable XBox system was rumored to be their next generation system?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Basically.

And with news about a PS4.5 and XBO.5....

But easy to develop would be a good thing.

Sony and Microsoft are going VERY upmarket, especially PlayStation, with VR and 4K. Those are not mass market propositions.

I think the regular PS4 will still be the main unit.

It's a great opportunity for Nintendo now.

jmizzal

But what about the XBox 1.5 or the PS4K? Lol

prob on par with those, I hope people dont think those are about to be a generational type leap in power lol

And more in one way to play NX is pretty much the same as Wii and Wiiu so not a shocker

Wait. There is an XBox One2? I thought the upgradeable XBox system was rumored to be their next generation system? Is Microsoft thinking about an upgraded XBox One?

Yes but not in a modular way (it'd basically be a w10 PC...), a brand new system with more recent tech like iPhone 6 ---> iPhone6s.

Guys power is not very high up on the problem spectrum of Wii u. It's probably not even top 10. It is insignificant compared to the other issues that Nintendo had with the console, some of which are even addressed in these rumours.

People who actually give a damn about power aren't using consoles as their primary gaming platform.

I'm not sure why it would be surprising that it could be more powerful than PS4/XBO... they aren't very powerful for starters, and even then, they were released three years ago, a lot has changed since then and we are well aware of what is on the horizon with these consoles (PS4k/XB1.5, new AMD stuff). It would be pretty shitty to fail once, then come three years after the fact and just match or go below what is established.

I really don't think that is the general sentiment at all.

I think this thread is indicative of what I'm talking about. There is a notion here that the NX will immediately fall begin because the ps4k and xb1.5 are allegedly on the way, and place it a wiiu position again in terms of horsepower. I dont think the gap will blow us away, logistically that's just a bad move for Sony in particular given that PSVR is already an uphill battle. Have to wait and see.

Type_Raver

Tell us something new...

Its basically regurgitated information which is very easy to repeat and make a statement of, EG: bogus controller reports recently. If that had come out BEFORE the trollers came forward then it might be something.

On the other hand, some of you raise a good point. Now that the PS4.5K rumors are getting a head of steam, will NX be a match or more for that? I think it would quickly take the wind out of Nintendo's sails if it were more powerful than PS4, only then for the PS4.5K be announced and devs stat its more powerful than NX.

The NX needs to have something thats a clear step up. I think something like it having 16GB RAM as opposed to 8GB like the current gen systems would be a good indicator.

Delio

we are on Neogaf OF COURSE people think that. They are already talking how significantly more powerful those consoles will be than NX "assuming" it is just on par with a PS4.

I'm confused why people are spreading that devs will focus on the PS4K and Xbox 1.5. I figured these wernt huge jumps and the main PS4/XBONE would be your main systems.

jmizzal

we are on Neogaf OF COURSE people think that. They are already talking how significantly more powerful those consoles will be than NX "assuming" it is just on par with a PS4.

Lol one guy even said they wont develop for NX becouse its weaker then PS4K and Xbox 1.5, LOL so do they really think devs are gonna abandon Xbox one and PS4 too

MilkBeard

Hopefully as powerful as PS4k.

Even that would be a little bit behind, but at least Nintendo's system will launch while this gen's consoles are still relevant, and they will get a few years in without the fear of being completely underpowered and out of place.

Imagine a Nintendo console that rivaled in power to the 4k and One.5, and allowed the games to cross-pollinate to a handheld of Wii U proportions so you can game any time, anywhere.

It would be so magical.

MK_768

Agreed. Then when the PS5 and XBox Two comes out, it will be significantly weaker again. I think Nintendo should try to make the NX significantly more powerful than the XBox One and PS4 to remain relevant throughout this generation and possibly even the next specification-wise. Honestly though, the issue is probably more with third party support than power I think, especially if Nintendo fans neglect third party offering again.

Okay first the Xbox One and PS4 are a couple years old. Second, NX is competing with Xbox One and PS4. It's incredibly risky to try and create a console that is next gen like more powerful than those two.

Also, it's possible that this gen could last 4 or 5 more years. That wouldn't hurt Nintendo.

As for Nintendo fans neglecting 3rd party offerings...I mean it's such a poor argument considering 3rd party offerings for Wii U were largely crap ports. I mean didn't a couple ports not have features that were in the PS360 versions?

TLZ

Banned
NX more powerful than PS4/Xbone maybe then means PS4K/Xbox1.5 released to match the NX?

We still don't know what new fancy tech the NX will give us too.

I sincerely doubt the NX is going to be on par with the Xbone/PS4, let alone the upgraded versions of those systems. Although I guess the PS4K and Xbone.5 will be sort of a pre-emptive measure just in case Nintendo actually did lose their minds and attempted to capture the "core" market again for the first time since the Wii.

Head.spawn

I think this thread is indicative of what I'm talking about. There is a notion here that the NX will immediately fall begin because the ps4k and xb1.5 are allegedly on the way, and place it a wiiu position again in terms of horsepower. I dont think the gap will blow us away, logistically that's just a bad move for Sony in particular given that PSVR is already an uphill battle. Have to wait and see.

Maybe you read me wrong, but I'd expect the NX to fall in line with whatever MS/Sony are cooking up next as far as power goes, if not better. I was referring to the current PS4/XBO as "the established".

If they released something similar to what MS and Sony released three years ago, I'm not going to lie, I'd be a bit disappointed because we know they could easily do better.

An upgraded PS4 puts PSVR in a potentially better spot, since better specs will absolutely lead to a better experience.

NX more powerful than PS4/Xbone maybe then means PS4K/Xbox1.5 released to match the NX?

We still don't know what new fancy tech the NX will give us too.

VpgoFks.gif

Roo

Guys power is not very high up on the problem spectrum of Wii u. It's probably not even top 10. It is insignificant compared to the other issues that Nintendo had with the console, some of which are even addressed in these rumours.

People who actually give a damn about power aren't using consoles as their primary gaming platform.
Pls let this be a joke post lol

Regarding the rumor.. I never expected Nintendo to go beyond PS4 levels so *if* this is true then color me surprised. For Nintendo games (basically the only reason why I get their consoles) should be way more than enough to produce some pretty games.
Third party support etc is good but not a priority for me.

Maybe you read me wrong, but I'd expect the NX to fall in line with whatever MS/Sony are cooking up next as far as power goes, if not better. If they released something similar to what MS and Sony released three years ago, I'm not going to lie, I'd be a bit disappointed because we know they could easily do better.

You're gonna have a bad time.

Fredrik

Like I said in another thread, if it's on par with PS4/Xbone, then clearly the third parties will target PS4.5/Xbox1.5 and point out the NX is still way too weak.
You think they'll ignore a userbase of 40 million PS4 and 20 million XB1 owners and claim that those consoles are too weak too? No way. At this point it doesn't matter how powerful XB1.5 and PS4K is, PS4 will still be the dev target platform on consoles until this generation is over, if NX hits that power bullet point then third parties will have to make up new excuses, my guess is that they'll use the ancient excuse that Nintendo's customers are all kids or only buy Nintendo games.

Banned
I sincerely doubt the NX is going to be on par with the Xbone/PS4, let alone the upgraded versions of those systems. Although I guess the PS4K and Xbone.5 will be sort of a pre-emptive measure just in case Nintendo actually did lose their minds and attempted to capture the "core" market again for the first time since the Wii.
You're gonna be surprised.

Matching the PS4 or exceeding it doesn't mean Nintendo went crazy, it's necessary to have power to succeed in the console market now.

Has this turned into the random NX speculation thread yet.

I don't know her track record. However, this seems like pretty routine stuff that could be passed around freely if you know people.

As always though vague claims like this don't mean much until we see how it works in practice.

True or not doesn't really affect how I view the NX.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Wouldn't it be kinda sad if it wasn't?
Initial rumors were putting it around the Xbox One, comparatively. All the rumors around Microsoft and Sony looking at more frequently iterated hardware started making the prospect of a singular NX with an X1's power all the more tragic.

Matching the PS4 or exceeding it doesn't mean Nintendo went crazy, it's necessary to have power to succeed in the console market now.

And this is why the hardcore segment on neogaf isn't representative of the entire market nor is it understood. The ps4 (which isn't even powerful) is a great product with full support, better pricing and mindshare and great marketing and messaging, and it doing decently is (in general) not because it is the more powerful device of the 3.

DiscoJer

She was one of the few people to review a lot of PS Mobile games (which I also used to do). I don't think how she would get this information, but she's been around a while and done a lot of grunt work no one else wanted to.

2 and a 1/2 years does not several make.

The tech in them is older than the consoles themselves. The GPU's are first gen GCN cores which launched commercially in 2011, and the CPU uses AMD Jaguar cores which first came to be around 2013. So the parts range from 3 years to 5 years old--several is the correct term.

Initial rumors were putting it around the Xbox One, comparatively. All the rumors around Microsoft and Sony looking at more frequently iterated hardware started making the prospect of a singular NX with an X1's power all the more tragic.

As a big Nintendo fan I've started to believe every "worst case scenario" rumor about NX, after being burned so often. So the X1 power rumor is probably true.

Banned
If so true, may I just say GOOD BYE to the NX.
PS 4.5 is going to happen. !!
You don't know what either of them are yet.

And this is why the hardcore segment on neogaf isn't representative of the entire market nor is it understood. The ps4 (which isn't even powerful) is a great product with full support, better pricing and mindshare and great marketing and messaging, and it doing decently is (in general) not because it is the more powerful device of the 3.
But it's the most powerful console, and they've used it in their marketing.

The point is people need to stop being surprised or automatically wrote off anything that suggests Nintendo will release a console on par with the other two companies. It's ivcous that gimped hardware with a gimmick isn't working anymore, as Wii U and 3DS are proving.

I bet if the rumor was the NX was a bit weaker than the XB1, then people would take the rumor more openly and not doubt it as much.

I doubt it, and the way she uses language is obviously biased. "Best tools ever" lol. I think it's just a fanboy's wet dream.
You mean fangirl, you misogynist! ;)

The tech in them is older than the consoles themselves. The GPU's are first gen GCN cores which launched commercially in 2011, and the CPU uses AMD Jaguar cores which first came to be around 2013. So the parts range from 3 years to 5 years old--several is the correct term.

And yet that same rule applies to the tech in the NX.

If you make that addition to years to the PS4 tech, then the same will apply to the NX. Now what is the difference in years?

3 years.

Do people not get this?

I always find this amazing... so easy to point out the flaw in others logic yet ironically cannot find it in their own lol. Let alone this qualifier wasn't in the original statement but I digress. Oh reading comprehension what happened to thee?

I'm pretty confident I won't be. You're daydreaming if you think Nintendo is going that high spec. And for what reason would they do that? You honestly think they're gonna waltz in during the middle of the generation and expect core gamers to jump ship to the NX? These people aren't interested in Nintendo and Nintendo isn't interested in them. They wanna fish in that big blue ocean again like they did with the Wii and the DS. You just need acceptable performance for that, anything more is a waste of time and money.

Top Bottom