• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGamerChick: NX more powerful than PS4/XB1, easy to develop for [rumor]

I'm pretty confident Nintendo wants and needs third party support since they learned they can't support their consoles on their own. To do that, they need to at least match the current consoles in specs and support current engines. They've already got Unity and Unreal 4, and are part of the Vulkan initiative. There's still plenty of gamers who haven't upgraded yet, or want a Nintendo console, or are fine owning multiple consoles.

You need to think of the long game here. Nintendo isn't going to win this gen with the NX launching three years later but it will build a foundation. It'll me the first to have online on par with the others, cloud based accounts and gaming, an achievement system, free online, and a message to consumers that can get the latest games on our platforms now. The message might take awhile to kick in, and Nintendo might not reap the benefits until NX2, but you gotta start somewhere.

The NX is going to be at minimum, XB1 levels of power, which should be cheap to make since its 2011 tech and if costs about $350 to make a profit from, while not being tied to TV features and Kinect.

You don't need a powerful console for 3rd party support, you just need a console that sells well.

Going the route you described would be a very sudden shift in course for them, of which they have made absolutely no indication of being interested in this past decade. Not to mention that at that level of performance and that price tag, it would mean the NX is dead on arrival. You can't reel in the core with that and you'd alienate the casuals again as well. It would be the Wii U all over again.

So you'd either have to put EVERYTHING on the line and outperform the PS4/Xbone on a technical level to even get a modicum of interest from the core, or you'd just have to make a cheap box with a unique angle and try to reel in the masses alongside their usual fans. I'm gonna place my bets on the latter.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I mean...would it really be LESS powerful? These systems are already weak af, having it equal is pretty sad but expected I suppose. Would be like if the Wii U was significantly worse than the 360/ps3.

Less powerful? Of course it could have been. Have you never heard of the Wii?

I just realize how little I really care for ports on Wii U. I know, I'm part of the problem, but honestly I don't think the answer to third parties doing poorly on Nintendo isn't going to be solved by more multi-plats or something like Ark Survival Evolved or Rocket League, but the most important thing here is more partnerships with Nintendo, a la Namco on Smash Bros. and Platinum on Star Fox Zero, or Hyrule Warriors. These kinds of things are what keep players coming back to the Nintendo platforms.

I'm all for Undertale, Ghost Song, etc. NX, though. There's lots of indies that are most comfortable on Nintendo hardware.

Banned
You don't need a powerful console for 3rd party support, you just need a console that sells well.

Going the route you described would be a very sudden shift in course for them, of which they have made absolutely no indication of being interested in this past decade. Not to mention that at that level of performance and that price tag, it would mean the NX is dead on arrival. You can't reel in the core with that and you'd alienate the casuals again as well. It would be the Wii U all over again.

So you'd either have to put EVERYTHING on the line and outperform the PS4/Xbone on a technical level to even get a modicum of interest from the core, or you'd just have to make a cheap box with a unique angle and try to reel in the masses alongside their usual fans. I'm gonna place my bets on the latter.
Really? The Wii couldn't run all the AAA third party games because it lacked power and yet it had a huge install base. Why didn't they make downgraded versions of their games to reach that install base? Because the power gap was too large. Hence, my point that the NX needs to be in the ballpark of the Xbox one if it wants ports of the latest third party games. Power isn't everything, but it is necessary to a certain degree.

Really? The Wii couldn't run all the AAA third party games because it lacked power and yet it had a huge install base. Why didn't they make downgraded versions of their games to reach that install base? Because the power gap was too large. Hence, my point that the NX needs to be in the ballpark of the Xbox one if it wants ports of the latest third party games. Power isn't everything, but it is necessary to a certain degree.
Because they made exclusive entries in the same series. Dead Space, Need for Speed, Sports games, SSX, etc.

People on this very board bitched that it wasn't real support for some reason.

This article is just click bait, if you were to write something along the lines of "Nintendo rumoured to have a unified account system, backwards compatible with Wii and Wii U and more powerful than high-end gaming PC's" on your own blog/website do you reckon by the end of the day you would've gotten a shitload of traffic? Of-fucking-course!

"Hey guys I got my hands on the latest NX but I can't give you any information whatsoever, but believe me when I say it's awesome and the best thing ever and ever! Oh I forgot to mention Miyamoto has gives it his thumbs up as well. Keep coming to my site daily so I can give you no new information whatsoever but continue your thirst by telling you what you want to hear! YAYYY Nintendo!"

Would've been a bit more believable if she was MainstreamGamerGurlz but IndieGamer? I don't buy it! NO!!

This is consistent with what we've heard, but I have no idea who this person is, or why their opinion is something I should deem trustworthy.

That being said, horsepower is a good step, but Nintendo really needs to do more than that to win back some of its player base.

Quasar

This is consistent with what we've heard, but I have no idea who this person is, or why their opinion is something I should deem trustworthy.

That being said, horsepower is a good step, but Nintendo really needs to do more than that to win back some of its player base.

Well getting third parties on board and supporting them would help.

I just realize how little I really care for ports on Wii U. I know, I'm part of the problem, but honestly I don't think the answer to third parties doing poorly on Nintendo isn't going to be solved by more multi-plats or something like Ark Survival Evolved or Rocket League, but the most important thing here is more partnerships with Nintendo, a la Namco on Smash Bros. and Platinum on Star Fox Zero, or Hyrule Warriors. These kinds of things are what keep players coming back to the Nintendo platforms.

What people? As far as I can tell most of the people that bought Wii's have vanished, and if you exclude that Data Point from their sales record they have consistently been selling less than their competitors (when it comes to consoles). While you may be fine with not having multi-platforms, I can't justify buying a Nintendo console until it has feature parity with the PS4/X1. What you call parternships is literally Nintendo paying good developers to make games so their console isn't a barren wasteland. If the system were worth it Nintendo could stop dedicating resources (money and manpower) to getting other developers making their games and they would do it voluntarily, meaning we get more releases from Nintendo themselves.

It didn't get real support. Instead of getting Dead Space they got a really weak on-rails shooter set in the Dead Space universe. The Wii had a massive install base, but a lot of those people weren't gamers per say, they were people who have now moved onto tablets and mobile--remember, the Wii launched in 2005 and the original iPhone didn't even launch until 2007. It wasn't until around 2009-2010 that Smartphones were a common thing, and they have continued to sell well ever since. You'll remember that 2009-2010 was also when the Wii really started losing steam and even software sales started to suffer. The Wii had a massive hardware install base, but it also had more shovelware than any platform I've seen in my lifetime.

To be honest, as far as Nintendo is concerned I couldn't care less about power levels or what have you. I buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. That's all anyone should expect after four generations of middling to abysmal third party support.

The fact that occasionally a No More Heroes or a Bayonetta 2 will show up is just icing on the cake.

Koh

Assuming the console NX releases within a year, I'll be genuinely shocked if it's more powerful than the current gen.

Power and price are undoubtedly related, and in this case the NX is releasing against established current gen competitors. Unless the additional power is required to enable the hook of the system, I can't see it being prioritized over a compelling price target.

Can't wait to see how it shakes out.

If it's a combination portable and home console, i'll love it. 3ds and Wii/WiiU compatibility in one box/handheld.....
That would be awesome.

They just neeed to get GTA5/Fallout/COD/AC/EA sports/etc.

If it's a combination portable and home console, i'll love it. 3ds and Wii/WiiU compatibility in one box/handheld.....
That would be awesome.

They just neeed to get GTA5/Fallout/COD/AC/EA sports/etc.

Agreed. I've been really thinking about getting a nice messenger bag. Damned those who will mock me! Having a phone charger, book, notebook, and place to keep a portable gaming device seems just too convenient to deal with dumb insults.

Not like I go many places long enough to need that kind of bag. But like trips and taking it in my car to work and whatnot.

If you removed "NX" from those tweets, everything she says was also said about the WiiU before it's reveal. Literally we had rumors and tweets saying it was very powerful, easy to develop for, good for indies, etc.

I'm getting that same feeling. I would love to be wrong though.

gamerMan

To be honest that is not really saying much. I think Nintendo has to be able to run all the 3rd party software on PS4 or Xbox One if Nintendo wants to compete. Nintendo can't come in the middle of the generation with a system with less power. Nintendo needs third party. It's unacceptable to have a system that has at most 5 games per year.

The PS4 and Xbox One aren't a significant leap over the Wii U. They are just a generation away. Do people expect the NX to have the power of the PS3/Xbox360/Wii U? Or do people just expect a portable Wii U?

The PS4 and Xbox One are so dated now so I wouldn't be surprised if the Nintendo NX is on par with them. The systems are not exactly cutting edge. Most games can barely push 1080P at 60FPS.

Banned
Because they made exclusive entries in the same series. Dead Space, Need for Speed, Sports games, SSX, etc.

People on this very board bitched that it wasn't real support for some reason.
Of course. They weren't the exact same games on the PS3 and 360. The Wii didn't get Mass Effect, or Bioshock, or Assassins Creed. I'm sure publishers would have out those games on the Wii easily with that install base but the power discrepancy was too big.

But they did make downgraded versions of their games. Call of Duty, Just Dance, Skylanders, EA sports games, Dead Rising. That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure the list is pretty extensive and that's not even including all the unique 3rd party games like Zack and Wiki, Madworld and so on.

well what about the gamecube? they CAN make a console that hits it out of the park "TECH" wise. I want a console that performs rather that just has the "ability" to perform. 1080p 60FPS out the box with very easy development.... that should be there goal for the games third parties want to make. yes I know there is a little bit of subjectivity in there.

Well sure they COULD, but then you get to my previous posts where I outlined why that would be crazy to do. Not to mention it isn't 2002 any more where they can make a competitive box for a launch price of 200 bucks like with the GC. The kind of performance you're asking for is gonna be extremely pricey (outside the fact that 1080p/60 FPS is more of a developer decision than a power thing but that's another discussion).

Xenoblade

I'm an industry insider too. I can't tell you what the NX will be called because we haven't been told yet, but what I can tell you is that it is certainly more powerful than the NES and feature upto 4GB RAM. It will come in various SKU's (no internal storage in any of them I'm afraid) and can connect directly to the XB1 and PS4 via an ethernet cable. It can also connect to both devices via 802.11ac. In fact, you can also connect a PC and iphone/android device to it.

I'm fortunate enough to have seen a prototype and can confirm that it has 3 antennas protruding from the rear of it unit. I've also been told that it will have advanced security functionality to prevent hackers from accessing it. From one of the design documents I was shown I spotted a special new feature mentioned called 'CoDel'. The employee that leaked this info to me simply said that it will revolutionize the way the console operates. They also said that it would consume no more than 20W under full load and operate without a fan(!).

Unfortunately that's all the the info I was given. No info on the controller, only that Nintendo was partnering with the company 'Atheros' to make it. If I get any more info I'll be sure to route it in GAF's direction. Until then, peace.

Bioshocker

No matter what NX is, it won't be easy to launch in the middle of a PlayStation and Xbox generation.

I think most of us have assumed the NX would match at least the Xbox One specs wise. The big question is third party support.

AzaK

Let's just assume she's right. "technically" accurate does NOT sound good. I read that to mean on paper but it's not necessarily going to look/play much better which, 3 years after the competition is sad......unless they do the patent thing with SCDs then I'll be happy.

pottuvoi

Banned
If you removed "NX" from those tweets, everything she says was also said about the WiiU before it's reveal. Literally we had rumors and tweets saying it was very powerful, easy to develop for, good for indies, etc.
Agreed.

From Nintendo I do expect it to be in line ~+-50% in performance when compared to XO/Ps4. (CPU and GPU performance may even be in opposite ends.)

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Saying it's more powerful than PS4/Xbone when one is already ~40% more powerful than the other is very weird wording. Which one is it?

Good point.

Yea after reading this....time to move on to another NX leak thread.

goomba

Banned
I really hope Nintendo isn't building a powerful machine because of the third parties, they can't get them back no matter what.

Agreed. N64 and GameCube were more powerful than their Playstation rivals. The cart excuse was used for n64 and the kiddy excuse for the GameCube.

There's always an excuse.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I have heard nintendo nx is so advanced that we are already playing its life simulator VR game and we dont even know it

c0de

After all the talk of new hardware coming this year I wouldn't be surprised to see all three using all the same new tech from amd, with only minor differences.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I really hope Nintendo isn't building a powerful machine because of the third parties, they can't get them back no matter what.

You saying they cannot doesn't make it so. N64 and the early days of the GameCube, despite their abysmal sales, got surprisingly decent support, even stuff like Jedi Outcast (which didn't and likely couldn't come to PS2 without some compromises.)

Ubisoft and Activision are very hardware agnostic. If it's easy for them to come over and it's a popular platform like the Wii they will come. Same to a lesser extent with EA and the like. Wii did well with minimal Rockstar support and Nintendo a huge gap like that again. Leaving the West, Tecmo Koei, Bandai Namco, Capcom, and Square Enix all have really good business relationships with Nintendo and I think they'd come too, as all four have made Nintendo exclusive games this gen.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Agreed. N64 and GameCube were more powerful than their Playstation rivals. The cart excuse was used for n64 and the kiddy excuse for the GameCube.

There's always an excuse.

....but carts and mini discs were real excuses.....

Especially when the entire industry was moving to CD, DVD. Normal size ones at that.

My uncle works at Nintendo and he told me the main thing about the NX is that it's going to offer headset free VR. No TV needed at all. It has an inbuilt 360 degree projector. The reason why is taking so long to get revealed is because they're trying to figure how to make it work in a room that isn't all white with no windows

sfried

....but carts and mini discs were real excuses.....

Especially when the entire industry was moving to CD, DVD. Normal size ones at that.
Not when DivX encoding basically crunched up all that space that was primarily used for FMV.

Joyful

sounds underpowered

the point of a new gen machine is to be more powerful than the last
not just as powerful as old gen years later

Lupercal

Banned
Starts off pretty good with her saying I don't know anything.

All these 'rumour' threads though, we're turning into the new Kodak now that their broke.

burst

The Wii U was supposed to be easy to develop for as well. You just need people to want to develop for it, you know, by selling consoles.

Syriel

My uncle works at Nintendo and he told me the main thing about the NX is that it's going to offer headset free VR. No TV needed at all. It has an inbuilt 360 degree projector. The reason why is taking so long to get revealed is because they're trying to figure how to make it work in a room that isn't all white with no windows

I know this is sarcasm, but you should look up CAVE Quake.

You're not the first person to have that idea...and it's been done. ;)

Eh, I'll believe it when I see it. I just don't see the point of Nintendo investing in powerful hardware when they're not going to get AAA third party support regardless. That ship sailed a long time ago, these days it's nothing more than a pipe dream.

Top Bottom