• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insider Gives an Update on What Naughty Dog has Been up to According to His Sources

I've been hoping for an open world survival style game in the TLOU world. Was hoping it would be single player though, but sounds like the MP elements might not be too intrusive.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So there shutting down everybody golf's multiplayer service at the same time naughty dog, famed for their love of golf in games new project is ramping up, coincidence? I don't think so.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

If any of this is true, thats cool. “Described as a mix of Tarkov and Division with additional modes inspired by the original Factions MP. Single-player-like experience in online game”

This sounds like exactly what I wanted from the TLOU universe if they did MP, but I never thought they would do it. Plus factions. Much better for me than pure PVP or BattleRoyal, I always prefer PVE and Coop stuff like RDR/GTA online or Destiny.

Looking forward to seeing Naughty Dogs animations, voice acting, attention to detail and action that they can add to the online genre. Especially when they say “Single player like experience online.”

Last edited:
"Next major single-player title. Neil Druckmann is not involved"

child celebrating GIF

ComplexAfraidLadybug-max-1mb.gif

zeorhymer

All this stuff had been “rumored” before. Hell even STATED. This isnt no leak. Just assumptions.

"...there are people in your community who make noise based on misunderstandings." --Katsuhiro Harada

Hezekiah

Banned
I've never heard or read anyone say this. I've only ever got the impression that we all love their quality with single-player experiences.
Probably mainly Xboys to be fair.

But I think this was originally supposed to be part of the last game, so I view it more as add-on rather than a replacement to their usual work.

Shmunter

I have a really bad feeling they've missed the train on the live service game. Think it will get lost amongst too much competition.

New IP will be good, I can't see TLOU III coming soon. I know they said they have a plot/outline but I think Neil's been clear they need to rest the IP just because of studio fatigue that sets in.
If that’s the case then they are in serious trouble with the next 10.

But I don’t agree, a free game with a big ip will get them in the door. It’s quality will decide if people stay and become advocates for others to join. The first part is easy, it’s the second part that is the trick.

Shmunter

I'm annoyed they never properly upgraded TLoU2 for ps5 like they said they would all the way back in 2020. Just a resolution increase alone would improve the already great visuals massively. Proper dual sense support would go a long way too.

Things havnt seemed quite right with Naughty Dog since the release of Lou2. Took them forever to patch LoU2 for 60 fps, Uncharted 4 remaster was disappointing, strange rumor of LoU1 remake and nobody knowing what's up with this live service game (it's also taking FOREVER)
Meanwhile God Of War pc is getting new patches and support out the wazoo while loyal ps5 owners are sporting the ps4 version from the last decade 😂

Bragr

Banned
Whyy? Chasing fads AGAIN. Just put those resources into another great game instead of trying to monetize the FUCK out of your base and bleeding them dry.
The Tarkov template perfectly fits The Last of Us and is not overdone like Battle Royale.

Hezekiah

Banned
F2P with Premium perks. I bet we'll see more multiplayer games from PlayStation doing the same.

Not a bad thing at all - I'm one of the few in here who imbraces F2P and thinks it's the future, as long it's not P2W.
I mean a game with Naughty Dog's technical quality, and attention to detail, that's also F2P could be something special.

MScarpa

Lol fuck off. Tarkov is exceptional and the scope for a AAA experience in the tlou world sounds amazing.
Did I hurt your feelings? 😂 Don't be so sensitive. I have a feeling it'll have a shit ton of MTX but we'll see. We haven't seen anything from this game, unless I'm wrong and there is gameplay.

MScarpa

They have multiple projects in the works. It's literally what ND should be doing.
Apparently i made some of you mad. 😂 Geeeez, relax, it's my opinion, and I'm not a fan of microtransactions. If you like that, good for you. Just games. ☺

MScarpa

I'm looking forward to them trying something new. People complain about there not being enough multiplayer first-party games aswell.

Also, surely GT7 was the first of the ten live service games?
I absolutely LOVE ND, and I hope they create a new amazing IP. With that said, i pray Sony doesn't do the same MTX as they did to GT7 with TLOU. I'll be so sad.

Sony wants to up the price by 10$ and then on top of that make it a live service just to get more money. It's a slippery and bad slope. IMO 😔

If any of this is true, thats cool. “Described as a mix of Tarkov and Division with additional modes inspired by the original Factions MP. Single-player-like experience in online game”

This sounds like exactly what I wanted from the TLOU universe if they did MP, but I never thought they would do it. Plus factions. Much better for me than pure PVP or BattleRoyal, I always prefer PVE and Coop stuff like RDR/GTA online Or destiny.

Looking forward to seeing naugty dogs animations, voice acting, attention to detail and action they can add to the online genre. Especially when they say single player like experience online.
That does sound good

kyliethicc

If Neil isn't leading this new IP I bet Anthony Newman and Kurt Margenau are leading

They're a way bigger studio now so 3 games in development sounds plausible
Its Escayg and Margenau. They did Lost Legacy.

Escayg is their only creative director other than Druckmann. He returned to ND in 2021.

And Newman says he's working on the TLOU multiplayer.

Meanwhile God Of War pc is getting new patches and support out the wazoo while loyal ps5 owners are sporting the ps4 version from the last decade 😂
This is what I'm talking about! Why are you the only Gaffer I've seen comment on this bs? If Sony releases a PC version of a Sony exclusive and doesn't simultaneously update the game, PROPERLYfor ps5 (as in more than just a simple 60 fps patch), that's a raw deal for us ps5 owners! That's treating the people who bought their latest system like crap.

If even on a hardcore gaming forumn people don't mind Sony catering to the PC OVER their own platform, then no wonder they treat us like plebs. Sony's already done this with Days Gone. They're about to do it with UC4 remaster. Mark my words the PC version of UC4 will have the proper care put into it. PC will have the global illumination that was downgraded on ps5 remaster working perfectly fine as well as all the other odd quirks of it that were not improved for ps5 and nobody will bat an eye.

This is the type of stuff "next gen" ps5 owners have had to look forward to all gen thus far.

Shifty

Aight, so here's what you do - you grab a bunch of plausible-sounding modern trends, chuck them in a big pot, stir it about a bit, then slap a well-known franchise name on it to finish.

Presto, instant rumor. Your first-class ticket to adulation from the frothing twitter masses who can't go five minutes without jonesing for a hit of news.

kyliethicc

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
TLOU2 has won more fan voted GOTYs than any other game in history. Publicly voted on by players, not critics.
"they were voted by players. Fair and square. No double user voting etc"

So, what's your opinion on the metacritic score before Sony, as the first company ever, got bad user scores removed. Was that also publicly legit or is it only when it favors your dear Druckmann?

ChiefDada

This is what I'm talking about! Why are you the only Gaffer I've seen comment on this bs? If Sony releases a PC version of a Sony exclusive and doesn't simultaneously update the game, PROPERLYfor ps5 (as in more than just a simple 60 fps patch), that's a raw deal for us ps5 owners! That's treating the people who bought their latest system like crap

This isn't pragmatic imo; Ragnarok is right around the corner for PS players and Sony is trying to court PC players into their ecosystem. I think Sony would argue they're practicing good business by utilizing resources efficiently.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Its Escayg and Margenau. They did Lost Legacy.

Escayg is their only creative director other than Druckmann. He returned to ND in 2021.

And Newman says he's working on the TLOU multiplayer.
I didn't know Escayg was back at Naughty Dog, I think he went to Square for a little while to work on Avengers? Good to know!

kyliethicc

"they were voted by players. Fair and square. No double user voting etc"

So, what's your opinion on the metacritic score before Sony, as the first company ever, got bad user scores removed. Was that also publicly legit or is it only when it favors your dear Druckmann?
I think its all pretty interesting. Its most awarded game of all time, even just from fans.

Just depends on the group. Of course some people didn't like it. That was by design.

Funny enough:
It wasn't even close: PS4 exclusive The Last of Us Part II was the favorite 2020 game of Metacritic users by a landslide.

And its funny that when, say Ghost of Tsushima won a fan voted award, you weren't concerned about the voting integrity.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Why? iirc that leak came from Jason Schrier. The basis for why ND was supposedly doing the remake makes sense.
1. It doesn’t make sense to make one, TLOU Remaster still holds up.
2. TLOU was added to the PS+ Collection.
3. Bend denied involvement.
4. ND tweeted three projects in Feb, TLOU2 MP being one, no doubt TLOU3 is another and that leaves room for either a VR title or a new IP.

Last edited:
This is fake. No mention of the last of us remake

4. ND tweeted three projects in Feb, TLOU2 MP being one, no doubt TLOU3 is another and that leaves room for either a VR title or a new IP.
Tlou part 3 is still not in production though. They just wrote some plot points for it

Last edited:

ChiefDada

TLOU Remaster will NOT hold up against a native PS5 remake. Based on JS/Bloomberg article, the idea is for ND team to become familiar with developing for PS5. It's relatively low hanging fruit.

Jason might not have had all details correct, but he's a legitimate journalist. The idea that TLOU Remake doesn't exist is farfetched to me.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
TLOU Remaster will NOT hold up against a native PS5 remake. Based on JS/Bloomberg article, the idea is for ND team to become familiar with developing for PS5. It's relatively low hanging fruit.

Jason might not have had all details correct, but he's a legitimate journalist. The idea that TLOU Remake doesn't exist is farfetched to me.
Isn’t the rumour a remaster and not a remake?
We’ll find out this year but I’m going with fake.

Shmunter

This is what I'm talking about! Why are you the only Gaffer I've seen comment on this bs? If Sony releases a PC version of a Sony exclusive and doesn't simultaneously update the game, PROPERLYfor ps5 (as in more than just a simple 60 fps patch), that's a raw deal for us ps5 owners! That's treating the people who bought their latest system like crap.

If even on a hardcore gaming forumn people don't mind Sony catering to the PC OVER their own platform, then no wonder they treat us like plebs. Sony's already done this with Days Gone. They're about to do it with UC4 remaster. Mark my words the PC version of UC4 will have the proper care put into it. PC will have the global illumination that was downgraded on ps5 remaster working perfectly fine as well as all the other odd quirks of it that were not improved for ps5 and nobody will bat an eye.

This is the type of stuff "next gen" ps5 owners have had to look forward to all gen thus far.
I call it like it is. You can’t make things better if you don’t critique when they are insufficient.

I fully expected Sony to spit shine all their big hitters for ps5 owners not only to encourage others to join, but to show first class service to the existing ones. Has not been the case, and the small sparkles here and there have arrived via a rough road of frustration this gen.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
If that’s the case then they are in serious trouble with the next 10.

But I don’t agree, a free game with a big ip will get them in the door. It’s quality will decide if people stay and become advocates for others to join. The first part is easy, it’s the second part that is the trick.

It's more the IP imo. GT7 will obviously do well, and if they brought back SOCOM I'd imagine that would do well. Then there are others like Warhawk, hell even MAG might be a shout with BF in its current state.

But I don't think Factions will be one that will explode beyond it's loyal but relatively small multiplayer advocates. Personally I've liked Uncharted's multiplayer, played Killzone's too and I really liked Ascensions multiplayer and I'd have the same reservations about those games, whether they can pull existing players from the third parties or significantly increase their player counts by transitioning the single player fans who don't really engage with the modes.

But this is just my opinion. They might kill it, and I hope they do. I like to see the industry healthy but if I had to put my mortgage on it, I'd probably bet it has a large explosion that lasts a few months then the audience shrinks to the small, loyal playerbase it always had. And they will probably love it.

I actually think Uncharted is the better fit for the treatment. Highly under rated multiplayer imo

Majormaxxx

This new writer is worse than Neil. Pretty petty and ignorant in her Twitter rants.

Retweeted a tweet calling Chris Rock a c*** (derogatory word used to insult black people).

Talk about black on black racism!

She's racist against whites as well though, so all good.

Yuck. Great choice, naughty dog.

Last edited:
There's nothing hard to get really
I liked ND's output a lot better before Druckmann was put in charge of all their big releases and if he isn't involved in their next game there's a chance it will align more with my personal taste.

A general distaste for Neil's design and writing influence on the Uncharted series and TLOU, I understand totally. That's not the hate I'm talking about though.

In which case, you're not really in the category of people I'm talking about.

Top Bottom