• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming February 2014: It's Groundhog Day and we have Season Passes for Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hattori

Banned
My bad, clearly a Card Wars noob. Watching videos of this on Youtube and it seems pretty awesome. The only problem is I'm seeing a lot of standard free to play trappings, like energy and premium currency. This wouldn't bother me that much, but the game is $3. Otherwise it looks pretty good.

The price seems a bit steep, but people seem to like it. I'm really tempted to get it...

Minsc

Gold Member
So how's Dungelot 2?

Here's the devs thoughts:

Pixeye said:
Hello everyone!

We admit that all these f2p stuff is a fail both for players and us, developers.
It was bad but still experience for us what we DON'T need to do And we are open for conversation.

Here are our few thoughts of what we can really do in the next week.

1. Runes. We give more of them while exploring dungeon. For example: each X dungeon you may find a rune.

2. Coin doubler in shop.

3. Increase value of copper coins you find.

4. Add descriptions for totems ( describing what they do )

5. Add mana bottles in game as there may be lack of mana inside of the dungeon.

6. Remove artifact durability. They can't be broken anymore.

7. Stats (hp/at) that are bought in tavern will long forever. Prices for those upgrades will be increased because of that. This will give more linear and smooth progress.

8. Rethink ( a little bit ) menu with artifacts: make it more clear.

9. Resurrection screen : add button for rune use instead of taping in any place of the screen.

10. Meat. Weell. Fixing nasty bug with counter.

Many b-a-a-a-d decisions came from idea of f2p. Or let's say not bad but quite unpolished ideas and we overestimated our powers. Still we believe that mostly second part is way better in core design then the first part and all we have to do is implement fixes.

It's my personal apologize for unjustified hopes

It's definitely in dire need of this patch, but I got around to playing a game, and there's potential if things get improved. Probably worth looking in to again in 2-3 months.

PFD

Here's the devs thoughts:

It's definitely in dire need of this patch, but I got around to playing a game, and there's potential if things get improved. Probably worth looking in to again in 2-3 months.

I just hope they don't pull a 'Dungelot 1' and be all like "we're done with the game and have started working on the sequel. Look for Dungelot 3 early next year!"

I'm staying away until they patch this

The price seems a bit steep, but people seem to like it. I'm really tempted to get it...

This sounds like EXACTLY the kind of iPad game I want, but ugh, four bucks and a f2p mechanic that stops you from playing more matches unless you pay more? No thanks. I'll wait for Hearthstone to hit iPad.

Yep just spent a fair bit of time playing it and I agree.

It is a complete mess, but it could be cleaned up. Given the dev was pretty responsive before (too much really) I'd have faith it'll turn into something playable.

Dingotech

Any good games recently that aren't filled with free to play/wait bullcrap?

It's been a good 6 months since I even bought anything on my iphone because I'm over the horrible appstore mechanics that appeared over the last few years. Makes me feel sick everytime I read gems/coins/juice...

It's been a good 6 months since I even bought anything on my iphone because I'm over the horrible appstore mechanics that appeared over the last few years. Makes me feel sick everytime I read gems/coins/juice...

Threes, Rayman Fiesta, FF6, Princess and Dragon expansion for Carcassone, PvZ2, GTA SA.

There are still plenty of gems there.

Dingotech

Threes, Rayman Fiesta, FF6, Princess and Dragon expansion for Carcassone, PvZ2, GTA SA.

There are still plenty of gems there.

Plants Vs Zombies I got, that thing is filled with F2P crap, no thanks.
I did't realise GTA SA came out, but I don't think I've played much of 3/VC, the controls just aren't up to scratch, especially the shooting parts.
What is Rayman Fiesta? That sounds F2P all day...

Man I would buy the old GTA games all day on my Vita or 3DS, I just can't handle them on my phone.

Plants Vs Zombies I got, that thing is filled with F2P crap, no thanks.
I did't realise GTA SA came out, but I don't think I've played much of 3/VC, the controls just aren't up to scratch, especially the shooting parts.
What is Rayman Fiesta? That sounds F2P all day...

Man I would buy the old GTA games all day on my Vita or 3DS, I just can't handle them on my phone.

PVZ2 was a joke, but the rest are legit.

Check out Rayman https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/rayman-fiesta-run/id657811530?mt=8 and Jungle Run https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/rayman-jungle-run/id537931449?mt=8 two of the best games on the platform.

Just looked they are they endless runner games? I don't think I can handle another running game on my iphone... >_<

No, they are auto-run platformers which is a bit different. If you have ever played a console Rayman, you will know they are at there best when you are just holding right and speeding through levels, these games just cut out having to hold right.

Trust me on this one.

Dingotech

No, they are auto-run platformers which is a bit different. If you have ever played a console Rayman, you will know they are at there best when you are just holding right and speeding through levels, these games just cut out having to hold right.

Trust me on this one.

I'd jump at them if I didn't own Rayman Origins on my Vita and haven't even booted it up yet. XD

Cheers for your advice though!

Shearie

Alright, here's a whole bunch of Machinarium codes fo dat azz. Quote this post to view them and make sure to let others know what code you took.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

You should start by looking at the OP for the past 6 iOS Gaming OTs since Tunesmith does a magnificent job at highliting each month's best picks.
--

Btw guys, A DARK ROOM is FREE, go grab it!
Got plenty of awards in 2013 and made it into the GOTY lists of many of Giant Bomb's staff if you care about those guys. iOS7 exclusive tho.
If you want, I'm posting all these deals on the @GAF_iOS_scores Twitter account.

https://itunes.apple.com/it/app/a-dark-room/id736683061?l=en&mt=8

Alright, here's a whole bunch of Machinarium codes fo dat azz. Quote this post to view them and make sure to let others know what code you took.

Got EXFXJ73APYXH. Having tried all of the other ones, I think this is the last one (to save people time/frustration).

Thanks a ton though!

Got plenty of awards in 2013 and made it into the GOTY lists of many of Giant Bomb's staff if you care about those guys. iOS7 exclusive tho.
If you want, I'm posting all these deals on the @GAF_iOS_scores Twitter account.

Thanks for the heads up. I forgot all about this coming out.

bonesquad

Sigh. I grabbed this yesterday when it was "on sale" for a dollar...

I played this for two hours during my flight. It's intriguing, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it as a whole. It's a bit repetitive...

igor

Is sonic racing transformed worth .99?

God, What an awful piece of turd. Stay away. I've been trying to like this game for some time now, and you know what? F*** that, Sega will never get my money ever again. Good Sonic game = game that doesn't suck that much. And this would be a quite enjoyable game if not primarily IAP galore that just makes me playing this hate on iOS gaming in general. You are asked to pay currency for literally everything. The game modes are just not enough for a racing game and the grand prix and world tour are trite and unremarkable. God, there's a special button during the race which you can buy a boost for a second currency. Difficulty modes - paywall. Want to restart? Paywall.

Steering is plain awful and grating on touch screen and just not pleasurable to play. It's a racing game conceived for an analog stick. Touch screen just makes it painful to play. And when it comes to change the car into a ship/plane I thought I am going to throw the phone against the wall. The controls are goddamn terrible. I gave up on the drift challenge because I can't take this anymore.

Other than that - so so level design, crap weapons, boring gameplay.

Waiting for MAchinarium to download and I am going back to european store so I can one star it. My anger is infinite. (Kidding, but yeah, really annoyed with the game)

Bloodrage

Banned
Ok, got it to work. Quote this post to see the codes and reply saying which one you took.

Just wanted to say thanks, man. Never played it on PC, so I tried to redeem the second to last code last night (4KJ...) and got lucky. This seems to be a flawless port so far. It's smooth on my 4S. Really smooth.

For some reason I thought the game (given its PC origin) would be far more demanding than this for mobile, so I never purchased it. It's been great on my iPhone but it's making me want to buy an iPad all of a sudden. The touch screen controls work fine on iPhone, no real problems so far, but I do sometimes feel that my fingers are just too big for the required precision in some areas. Loving it nonetheless.

Shearie

Just wanted to say thanks, man. Never played it on PC, so I tried to redeem the second to last code last night (4KJ...) and got lucky. This seems to be a flawless port so far. It's smooth on my 4S. Really smooth.

For some reason I thought the game (given its PC origin) would be far more demanding than this for mobile, so I never purchased it. It's been great on my iPhone but it's making me want to buy an iPad all of a sudden. The touch screen controls work fine on iPhone, no real problems so far, but I do sometimes feel that my fingers are just too big for the required precision in some areas. Loving it nonetheless.

Yeah, the reason I felt compelled to post all these codes up because I wanted more people to experience this great game. Hell, I might even get more codes tomorrow (I'm a Starbucks junkie) if more people here want them.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but Little Bit Evil is only 99c/69p at the moment.
http://appshopper.com/games/little-bit-evil

It's a cool tower defense game that while is nothing original (it by the numbers Kingdom Rush) but it's really enjoyable if you need some more TD fix. It's a little grindy at times, quite challenging, there's a nice skill tree to upgrade your towers/abilities and no forcing IAP down your throat either.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm pretty impressed with Machinarium's visuals on my iPad. The PC version was built in flash and definitely felt disappointing on a big screen (scaling etc.)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Bought Slayin' for the iPad, kind of regretting it because the controls aren't really suited for an iPad, wish you could customize them somehow.

God Enel

If you're able to get a 384 block, your score jumps up to 9000-11000...

If you get a 768 block, then boom.

Realized the most important thing is to always keep in mind what the next block is. Score jumped to 68xx. Had a 384 block. Gave me around 6k points. Then I made a stupid mistake and lost.

igor

Realized the most important thing is to always keep in mind what the next block is. Score jumped to 68xx. Had a 384 block. Gave me around 6k points. Then I made a stupid mistake and lost.

Thats why i can't wait for the update. Too many times I had lost because suddenly I would get a 24 block shuffled instead of 3. Really fun game though I haven't gone past the 192 block

Don't know if it's been mentioned but Little Bit Evil is only 99c/69p at the moment.
http://appshopper.com/games/little-bit-evil

It's a cool tower defense game that while is nothing original (it by the numbers Kingdom Rush) but it's really enjoyable if you need some more TD fix. It's a little grindy at times, quite challenging, there's a nice skill tree to upgrade your towers/abilities and no forcing IAP down your throat either.

One of the better TD titles on iOS. I know because I've basically tried them all.

KoolKing

Will be really interesting when Apple decides TV isn't just a hobby anymore.

Machinarium codes:

[

It is one of my all time favorite games, so if anyone hasn't played it I'm happy to accommodate. :)

Took THF9AHNFJ96T. Thank you so much! This should be the perfect thing to occupy my time while I'm stuck in bed sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom