• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming February 2014: It's Groundhog Day and we have Season Passes for Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkgoo

Once threes drops off quick relaunching, why does it go straight back to tutorial? It's annoying after boot up to go through the entire tutorial again.

GWX

Once threes drops off quick relaunching, why does it go straight back to tutorial? It's annoying after boot up to go through the entire tutorial again.

That happens to my sister as well, who has an iPhone 5c, and she always complain about it. It doesn't happen on my iPhone 5s or my 4th gen iPad, though.

iOS GAF, add me for some Threes leaderboards action. Just did my first 384, so happy! My ID is GuilhermeGWX, as in the GAF membership list.

Update for Threes coming

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/02/...-frustrated-by-the-next-card-system-in-threes
While trying to complete this deceptively simple task, the handy Next Card slot near the top of the app show users which card they’ll receive after their next move. A “1” is a blue card and a “2” is a red card. A white card usually means a “3,” but it could also be a “6” or “12.”

And just when you’re sure that “3” will help you get a high score, the game often pops out a higher number.

But thankfully, in a future update, any card higher than “3” will be indicated with a “+” sign. While that may seem like a small change, it’s really a big improvement for players.

Shearie

I got 6 free app codes for Machinarium at Starbucks today and I want to give them out here. How do you do that thing where someone has to quote my post in order to see them?

colinp

Banned
I got 6 free app codes for Machinarium at Starbucks today and I want to give them out here. How do you do that thing where someone has to quote my post in order to see them?

I can't remember, sorry! But can I get one? ;)

I think you put it in an (/email) bracket or something, no?

Yeah, it is with the email= code... Use brackets! Can always test it and then update the post with the codes to make sure it works.

Shearie

I can't remember, sorry! But can I get one? ;)

I think you put it in an (/email) bracket or something, no?

Yeah, it is with the email= code... Use brackets! Can always test it and then update the post with the codes to make sure it works.

Ok, got it to work. Quote this post to see the codes and reply saying which one you took.

Sickbean

Any other ThreesGAF people want to exchange Game Center IDs to fill out their high score rosters? Don't worry, I'm terrible at it so have only got up to 3300 ish so far :(

FerranMG

Ok, I'm late to Threes!, but it's really a very nice game.
Downloaded it yesterday and it's a joy to play.
Current high score: 3204.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Well someone redeemed the remaining quotes without letting know :(
Why the European Starbucks doesn't do the promotions like this :(

Yeah someone redeemed the other codes already.

European Starbucks do similar app promotions in my experience, I've always seen app cads on the counters when I go there (not that often).

Minsc

Gold Member
Dungelot 2 is up [Free]. I see that they've changed the art style and added A LOT of stuff on top of the core game. It's much more ambitious than the first but it's too early to tell if the additions make it a better game. I'm definitely weary of all the unlocks and in-game currencies.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id790138512?mt=8

From reading impressions at TA, it sounds like it took a turn for the worse. I downloaded it, but haven't tried it, but the impressions are very damning. Gold seemingly is earned at a snails pace with or without the IAP timer removal. A lot of the charm from the first (animations, class distinctions, etc) is gone. Strategy elements are non-existant. Leaderboards are a joke since you can buy revival items to continue runs and score higher. Persistent upgrades are nerfed/missing, the best way to play is just buy a bunch of one-time enhancements and run with them, then repeat. There's some sort of forging system that requires premium items to use. Skills need to be equipped after unlocked, and you can only equip 1? It's very easy to use premium items accidentally that cost real money without any confirmation. Some of the dialog/menus are not translated, and there are plenty of bugs in the game still.

All in all, sounds like a huge mess unfortunately. Maybe a few patches in things will look better. The biggest problem sounds to be balancing the game so it feels like there's some strategy to it again. Right now impressions sound like you basically just run through floors til you run out of health, get 100-200 gold, then spend 100-200 on repairs, then repeat until you have 2500 gold to unlock something boring.

Definitely a sad thing to read, given the premise/shell of the game could easily be extremely fun and expanded quite a bit from the original.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's sad, indeed.

Before the final patch, Dungelot felt like it was one good sequel away from being a classic mobile game. Just retain that familiar but fresh formula, polish it as much as possible and expand on both the core and meta games without compromising the simplicity of it. The developer's claims of the F2P elements being completely removable with an IAP were promising, but I'm not surprised to hear it's not that simple. I still need to give the game a fair shake, but I had a bad feeling as soon as I booted up and say that typical, cluttered F2P UI littered with currencies, stamina systems, unlocks and store links.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Makes it more of a game and less about chance. I am all for it!
Yeah, that's the thing that bothers me the most in late game so that's definitely good news. It's a small change and doesn't make the game easier, just less about chance. Here's hoping the update also removes the need to sign your name after every score.

igor

Could someone pick up a code for Machinarium for me? :( Would be greatly appreciated! The closest Starbucks is in Dublin I think and I don't even know if they do these vouchers here...

I bought this game long time ago on a computer but never got to finish it...

I'll try to get more Machinarium codes today. :)

Just saw this, thank you, that would be great! :)

Erebus

Threes is highly addictive but it's also sucking my phone's battery life way too fast for some reason and it's not to say that it's graphically demanding.

Fuu

Threes is highly addictive but it's also sucking my phone's battery life way too fast for some reason and it's not to say that it's graphically demanding.
That reminds me, I still have no idea what the "Conserve Battery" option is supposed to do.

Fuu

Cuts it down to 30fps. It's a noticeable difference in both animation quality and battery life.
Weird, it's pretty clear now that you mentioned it but I didn't notice it at all when I checked the option on the first day. I guess maybe because I'm always moving the pieces super slowly or because I didn't play it much with the option turned off. Guess I'll just leave it on to save battery.

Alchemy

You don't flop the pig silly, you floop it :)

My bad, clearly a Card Wars noob. Watching videos of this on Youtube and it seems pretty awesome. The only problem is I'm seeing a lot of standard free to play trappings, like energy and premium currency. This wouldn't bother me that much, but the game is $3. Otherwise it looks pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom