• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2016 | Freedom to necrodance the night away

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Holy crap! I'm also from SC -- and the Greenville area to be more precise. Actually close to Five Forks to be even more precise.
I live between Pelzer and Simpsonville. Small world bro!
I know exactly where Five Forks is! Would be funny if we know each other IRL lol.

I know it might be too early to call but July seems kinda barren. No known big releases this month.

Thankfully, even if nothing huge releases, I've got my plate full right now with Necrodancer, Hyperburner, and HRM.

I know exactly where Five Forks is! Would be funny if we know each other IRL lol.

I'm in Greer. I know there's a number of GAFers from the Upstate :)

On topic; Necrodancer is so good, Was worried about touch controls but I haven't run into any issues.

awp69

I'm in Greer. I know there's a number of GAFers from the Upstate :)

Cool! I'm actually originally from outside of Philly but have been back and forth between Atlanta and the Upstate for the past 23 years (last 10 in my current location). Love this area (and hated Atlanta for the two hour commutes which is why I came back here.)

RM8

FYI: It's available now in Japan if I'm not mistaken.
It is now and it's awesome! Even though I haven't settled for a control method. D-pads look ugly, swiping is a bit tiresome, and touching the edges of the screen still confuses me a bit (but I'm thinking it's the best one, I just need to get used to it). I wasn't expecting this game to be over 1GB BTW, but I guess it makes sense being so audio-heavy.

killercow

VA-11 HALL-A is quite amazing and scratching that Bar Oasis itch. It's more focused on storytelling and you can't really mess everything up but I'm quite enjoying it.

It's a game that's meant to be on an iPad though and a port is already in development. Sadly it seems like it won't be here until the end of the year.

Another amazing trailer for Out There Chronicles, coming out this Thursday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuYpdHKzOkQ

PittaGAF

Beaten by Killercow.

Out There Chronicles trailer is amazing.

Loving the new soundtrack with vocals by the same singer of Omega.

The edge controls in necrodancer on iPAd seem to work best for me now. The swipe one is too annoying imo.

gonna try it on the phone to see what works.

Pachimari

I'm also using the d-pad controls where I have to press at the edge. To be fair, I haven't tried the swiping control scheme yet.

I find swipe to be the best. Why do you prefer the edge controls?

I find swiping only works well for me if I get to play in portrait one handed on the phone. kind of like threes. Edge one with position 2 or 3 works best given how i hold my iPad.

Funny, I prefer the d-pad controls. Think I just like tapping to the beat over swiping.

So different strokes for different folks I guess.

Yup. Glad there are so many options. I just need to figure out an ideal way of using items. That seems to still be a problem for me control wise.

Ambitious

@Crypt of the Necrodancer
Pretty neat concept. I just wish there was a trial.

@Human Resource Machine
I was planning on buying the Steam version at some point, but I might as well buy the iOS version. Looks pretty touch-friendly, and I already have TomorrowCorp's other games on iOS anyway, so why not.

edit: Might as well get Perchang too. Looks cool.

@Crypt of the Necrodancer
Pretty neat concept. I just wish there was a trial.

@Human Resource Machine
I was planning on buying the Steam version at some point, but I might as well buy the iOS version. Looks pretty touch-friendly, and I already have TomorrowCorp's other games on iOS anyway, so why not.

edit: Might as well get Perchang too. Looks cool.

Yea human resource machine plays great on iPad at least. Haven't tried on my 6 yet. I can't even imagine playing world of goo without touch.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Anyone hear anything about Dungeon x Balls? It looks interesting and appears to be playable offline according to the dev on TA. Curious if it's any good...The videos I'm seeing make it look like an RPG Pachinko style game?

E: Decided to buy Dungeon x Balls, and I'm glad I did. There are no IAP that impact your game. There's a few cosmetic ones that you can buy, but they have NO impact on the actual game. In fact, as far as I can tell, it's just decorations you can buy for your house that you're rebuilding (the premise of the game).

As I suspected, it's a pachinko-esque game. You build a party of characters that you collect as you progress. These characters have attributes and skills that you can use to complete missions. You gain stat boosts by getting more stars, so you're encouraged to complete all objectives on a mission (like break all objects, win in 30 seconds, defeat all monsters, etc). It's a fun concept that I'm excited to experience more of. There are two issues I have with the game, though.

• You can "tap" your marble after you've launched it. The best I can tell, this is required on some stages to clear all the objectives. However, the touch mechanic is a bit fidgety. As a result, there are a few stages I can't complete yet. Hopefully the dev will chime in on TA to maybe acknowledge and adjust that feature.
  • There's a cute manga that you can read as you unlock more chapters. However, it's some pretty terrible Engrish. They need someone who is fluent to do the translation...As it currently stands, it's borderline unreadable.
There's a good video showing off the gameplay on YouTube. Definitely check it out if you want something very different on your iDevice. Don't expect a sale anytime soon, either. The dev stated that he didn't want to devalue a bunch of new purchases by dropping the price this early.

Xater

Anyone hear anything about Dungeon x Balls? It looks interesting and appears to be playable offline according to the dev on TA. Curious if it's any good...The videos I'm seeing make it look like an RPG Pachinko style game?

E: Decided to buy Dungeon x Balls.

How is it? Looking at the pictures it looks like Monster Strike without the F2P bullshit.

Matt Frost

Mario, is PikPok ever going to update either Monsters Ate My Condo? The music is missing + is the best match-3 puzzlers ever. Dont want it to dissappear into oblivion

Pachimari

Have you guys organized your games? I have like 9 pages of games and I feel like I'm losing sense of what I'm playing, thus never completing any games on iPad. So far I have in mind of dedicating the first page to games I'm currently playing, and having a Queue folder for games I'm interested in, and an Endless folder for those kind of games. Maybe a Blockbusters folder for titles originally on other platforms.

Have you guys organized your games? I have like 9 pages of games and I feel like I'm losing sense of what I'm playing, thus never completing any games on iPad. So far I have in mind of dedicating the first page to games I'm currently playing, and having a Queue folder for games I'm interested in, and an Endless folder for those kind of games. Maybe a Blockbusters folder for titles originally on other platforms.
I keep everything in one big Games folder, with my 3 or 4 current favorites out for quick access

Ambitious

I keep everything in one big Games folder, with my 3 or 4 current favorites out for quick access

Same here. I have one Games folder with two pages, and I move the games I currently play to the first page of my homescreen. When I'm sure I won't play something ever again, or at least not in the near future, I delete it.

I just keep my games on the second page and I never have more than 5 games at a time. Fewer games I have installed the more likely I am to complete them.

HotHamBoy

Have you guys played Runestone Keeper?

Quite similar to Dungelot, but I really like this. The pixel art is beautiful but it's sparse on any animation. I actually find that to be a plus. Everything feels zippy and clean.

I've been addicted all week.

Nintendo betting big on mobile, potentially building hardware controllers for iPhone & iPad

http://9to5mac.com/2016/07/05/nintendo-hardware-controllers-for-iphone-and-ipad/

Man, i would love a Nintendo MFi controller. That + iOS Virtual console would be a dream.

Not sure how I feel about Nintendo making peripherals. It could also mean having exclusive hardware just for a specific game(s) and that's just a waste of money. Mobile games are supposed to be low priced and adding X amount for a controller is dumb.

I doubt Nintendo would do such a thing for mobile but who knows. I really hope not. Leave those gimmicks on your own consoles.

Not sure how I feel about Nintendo making peripherals. It could also mean having exclusive hardware just for a specific game(s) and that's just a waste of money. Mobile games are supposed to be low priced and adding X amount for a controller is dumb.

I doubt Nintendo would do such a thing for mobile but who knows. I really hope not. Leave those gimmicks on your own consoles.

Im up for whatever they want to do. Im not a fan of the "mobile games should be cheap" thing

The sorry state of iCloud support and multiple devices makes this issue 100 X worse.

awp69

Never Gone is on sale for $.99 again. I haven't finished it but do think the dev has balanced the game better than it was a first. Pretty fun side scrolling hack n' slash with a Castlevania vibe (in atmosphere).

awp69

Is Never Gone any good?

See my post a few up?

Originally seemed a bit skewed towards pushing IAPs but after an update and more gameplay, it seems challenging but balanced.

I'm only through the first chapter so can't say for sure that will continue. But the combat is fun, graphics nice and the voice acting isn't too horrible, considering it's a low budget title.

I'd definitely recommend giving it a shot for a buck.

Does is bother anyone else when a game makes their device heat up? I know the heat can't actually hurt my device but it still puts me off sometimes.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Does is bother anyone else when a game makes their device heat up? I know the heat can't actually hurt my device but it still puts me off sometimes.

I have been playing Unkilled for a while, and it makes my device hot and drinks battery. It sucks.

On the topic of Never Gone, I think it's solid. However, it IS a bit grindy. Apparently they added MFi support recently. So that's a plus if you've got a controller.

Anyone play Monster Hunter Freedom Unite? Considering picking it up with an MFi controller.

awp69

Yeah, it bothers me. Thankfully doesn't happen much on my iPhone 6 or mini 2.

But it happens constantly on my Shield Tablet. For all the power that thing has and the exclusives it gets, it's build quality, including the heat issue, leaves much to be desired.

Top Bottom