• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony/Playstation out of touch?

Is Sony/Playstation damaging their brand long term?

• Total voters

Generic

KeoNeSQ.png
And yet for some reason they increased the price of the PS+ service and stopped giving discounts to current subscribers.

Neolombax

Gold Member
Can't say that I care although I've been gaming on Playstation for as long as I can remember. I'm sure they have a very competent team who analyzes these trends internally, and most likely their direction is following the money trail from consumers. Things may seem dire for us enthusiasts, but a bigger casual market does exist. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Expanding their portfolio doesn’t equal out of touch. Everything they’ve said about their tentpole single player games has been about as in touch as it comes.

Roxkis_ii

I think Sony tries to cater to a large audience, so that means releasing content that may not appeal to everyone in said audience.

I don't care for Lego Horzion, but I'm happy they released Stella blade. I also play games on PC, so I'm not waiting with baited breath on every move Sony makes. If they don't make games I like, I'll just look for those games elsewhere.

Imo no. I have more games than I possibly keep up with and almost every single exclusive they’ve released so far has at least been good. So I’m getting games I like and enjoying which is the reason I bought the console.

The only big mistake Playstation has made recently was putting Sony Santa Monica on a GAAS game. That was really stupid and backfired spectacularly. You could say the same thing about Guerilla games, but I think Horizon as a GAAS game could work really well. More excited for that than Horizon 3, honestly. The rest of their GAAS initiative are studios they partnered with like Arrowhead, Haven, and Firewalk.

And I'm probably in the minority, but I don't mind longer development times for Playstation's first party games. If it takes 5-6 years to put out something truly great, then so be it. Hopefully AI speeds that up in the future, but it is what it is. Their brand is so strong because they release premium experiences. They will release fewer games this generation, but as long as they are high in quality, Playstation should be fine

Last edited:

tmlDan

That doesn't mean current sony isn't damaging the brand longterm.
They're still making and prioritizing single player Triple A experiences, how are they alienating or damaging their brand and loyal fans? because they try something new with new studios?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
And yet for some reason they increased the price of the PS+ service and stopped giving discounts to current subscribers.
A massive chunk of the PS5 generation sales are on PS4. The extended cross gen period helped Sony avoid the massive console launch dip. Don't expect the next gen to be any different.

bitbydeath

No, not having visibility of their pipeline is clouding your judgement. They are still delivering banger games, and their SP studios are still making SP games.

Communication is an issue but they’re likely holding back due to wanting to have a showcase for the PS5 Pro later this year.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony claims their concerns are games but we all know it’s ps plus, vr and war with Microsoft.

I think they are losing touch by making most of their games woke. I understand half of the planet wants to see more stories about indigenous trans lesbian strong women smashing the patriarchy, and it´s okay. But can´t you still make half of your games more traditional? I think the current woke trend is not going to last forever, people are getting tired of it. And if you have all your games be about how oppressed group x is then, when that submarket crashes, specially when games take sooo long to make now, you are going to be in big trouble.

Last edited:

lachesis

Maybe I am out of touch, or maybe they are, or maybe both?

Personally I don’t quite do well with mainstream pop culture - which gaming has become over the years - so I assume it’s an entirely different market and target audience they have now.

So maybe it’s like “music” that many look back to our youth times and think it was better, and looks down on the new music.

Either way, the world moves on whether I like something or not. But it is true that almost zero games really riles me up like they used to in general - not just Sony, mind you.

Some people adopt to new things much better, and some don’t and know what they want exactly. That gap maybe the issue here of being described,“out of touch”.

Shin-Ra

Charging for online multiplayer when they don’t release any exclusive online multiplayer games for PS5 is the definition of out of touch.

There’s a subscription requirement for no multiplayer benefits whatsoever.

They never had to be in touch, their games weren’t the console sellers. Smaller Sony developers seemed to be there to add variety to the library, and people connected with those games. Now most of their output seems focus tested, and they do a good job with the games.

Sucker Punch made their best game last gen. Since then, their output became Insomniac’s marvel lineup, concord, Concord, and development hell for cinematic experiences covering everything from being a dad to being a girl in a revenge love triangle…now things looks bleak for their in house games. But Souls games, Helldivers 2 and Stellar Blade show they still know how to find and refine interesting work as a second party publisher.

Nintendo is the only one that dictates tastes. Sony has an audience that are willing to champion stuff just because we need something that isn’t Nintendo.

Last edited:

nick776

I think they are losing touch by making most of their games woke. I understand half of the planet wants to see more stories about indigenous trans lesbian strong women smashing the patriarchy, and it´s okay. But can´t you still make half of your games more traditional? I think the current woke trend is not going to last forever, people are getting tired of it. And if you have all your games be about how oppressed group x is then, when that submarket crashes, specially when games take sooo long to make now, you are going to be in big trouble.
Every time I think about the "all gender" bathrooms in Spiderman 2 I just become disgusted.

They need to have resilient business that accounts for situation that consoles will eventually go away.

Not in next generation, but at some point. So I think they are doing what’s necessary. Hopefully they will also do backwards compatibility program and put every PS 1-2-3 game they can on a service.

As for first party titles, I think Factions 2 should have never been cancelled. Dumb move, if it was coming together well.

SJRB

Gold Member
Pretty sure Sony knows damn well what brought them success but they're trying new things to expand the userbase and find new ways of income via GaaS.

You can't release a new GOW, Spiderman and TLOU every year.

ZehDon

I wouldn't say they're out of touch, I'd say that what the veteran PlayStation fans want can't always align with Sony's need to bring in new players. The simple fact is that new players and old players don't want the same things. Sony is hedging their bets - which is the smart play - but it means they're only able to dedicate a subset of their resources to pleasing each group. When it works, you get Helldivers 2 and Spider-man 2. When it doesn't, you get Destruction All Stars and another TLOU re-re-release. That's just the nature of the business in 2024.

Mr.Phoenix

Every time I think about the "all gender" bathrooms in Spiderman 2 I just become disgusted.
Why should that disgust you?
Pretty sure Sony knows damn well what brought them success but they're trying new things to expand the userbase and find new ways of income via GaaS.

You can't release a new GOW, Spiderman and TLOU every year.
Perfectly said...

Killjoy-NL

Given how the majority of Gaf was certain Xbox would make a comeback this year and Hellblade and Starfield were going to crush Sony, Sony's Gaas push would be a mistake pre-HD2, Sony was dying until it turns out this is their most profitable gen, I think it's Gaf who has been out of touch with reality for a long time.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Sony claims their concerns are games but we all know it’s ps plus, vr and war with Microsoft.
“War with Microsoft”

You have that backwards, especially considering Sony has barely released any major bangers thus far and PS5 has mollywopped Xbox into the ground.

In the real world, this is just the usual mid gen complaining. Microsoft shat the bed with Xbox (the war is only with themselves at this point), Nintendo is gearing up for the follow up to their most successful device to date, and PlayStation is currently killing it with plans to keep that momentum going (even if some on the internet don’t like it).

Out of touch? Let’s review how many takes/threads we’ve had on this site that got it COMPLETELY wrong…

-Xbox Comback?
-Starfield?
-Series X would be do much better because “two TeRaFlOpS moooooOooaaaRrr”
- GaaS would fail Sony

And on and on that drunken merry-go-round goes. As often is the case, it’s online sites and forum dwellers that are out-of-touch and the multibillion dollar business might just know a thing or two more about what’s better for their business.

Last edited:

DrFigs

The problem is not that sony is trying to expand into the pc market. sony used to make pc games, they make mobile games, whatever. the issue is doing that by devaluing the console. if every game goes to pc, what is the point in owning a ps5. it's a problem that MS is dealing with right now and nintendo is smart enough to avoid. there is a way to expand into the pc market without making the ps5 lose its value; i don't think the current strategy of bringing every game to pc is the right one.

some of the other stuff is just downright silly. playstation needed to invest in multiplayer games, which are the most popular games on earth at the moment. people who are against this are just out of touch.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Given how the majority of Gaf was certain Xbox would make a comeback this year and Hellblade and Starfield were going to crush Sony, Sony's Gaas push would be a mistake pre-HD2, Sony was dying until it turns out this is their most profitable gen, I think it's Gaf who has been out of touch with reality for a long time.
So don't talk on here then

Naked Lunch

The last Sony games that I even cared about were Shadow of the Colossus and Hot Shots Golf.
And the last Sony exclusive I truly needed to own a Playstation for was Metal Gear Solid 4.

Those are all distant memories. So for me, theyve been out of touch for years.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
The last Sony games that I even cared about were Shadow of the Colossus and Hot Shots Golf.
And the last Sony exclusive I truly needed to own a Playstation for was Metal Gear Solid 4.

Those are all distant memories. So for me, theyve been out of touch for years.
Or, you’re out of touch with what they’re putting out.

I look at that sort of thing as a substantial loss of audience and interest because you either misread the market or your decisions have not lead to sustainability. Ex. I don’t care as much for Nintendo’s stuff as I did when I was a kid. It simply means that my interests have either changed, I don’t favor their modern push, or both. However, Nintendo is HIGHLY successful, so they’re clearly doing something right. Sony is in this position as well. They know the market, regardless of a vocal minority, which is what threads like this are.

Moral of the story: there are three main companies in this industry. Two of them continue to be a major success. One of them is actually out of touch with things.

Last edited:
I don't care if sony want to make multiplayer games. What I don't like is that they are obviously cutting back on their staple big single player games because of it. Thats the big mistake here. Turning away from the core playstation fans is a big mistake. All these corporations want to do is chase the larger casual crowd.

Last edited:
Top Bottom