• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Itsuno teases Dragon's Dogma sequel on PS4 [also talks DMC5 and Rival Schools 3]

I never even played the first Dragon's Dogma. Was it good?

sogood.k2sic.gif

Mesoian

I never even played the first Dragon's Dogma. Was it good?

Yeah it was good. Fun to play, though it gets predictable. There's a LOT they could improve on with a sequel though.

Basically everything skyrim did right Dragon's Dogma did wrong, and vice versa.

klee123

Why would it be PS4-exclusive? Didn't it sell roughly the same across both platforms? The only thing I can think of is the Panta Rhei engine being exclusive for PS4 games.

The PS3 version by far outsold the 360 version thanks to Japan. The western sales were pretty much insignificant in comparison.

Dahbomb

Itsuno-san who art in heaven,
Hallowed be your name.
Your mercy come, your games be done, at Capcpom, as they are godlike.
Give us this day our daily combat mechanics,
and forgive us our fanboyism,
as we forgive those who do not believe.
And lead us not into mobile games,
but deliver us DMC5.

Amen

sörine

Banned
The PS3 version by far outsold the 360 version thanks to Japan. The western sales were pretty much insignificant in comparison.
1.3 million shipped worldwide and Japan was about 450k sold of that. I wouldn't call that an insignificant western sales ratio.

Skilletor

Not really. It's Monster Hunter with DMC's combat, with a nice layer of brown slathered on top of it. Story gets pretty weird halfway through, though

It doesn't play like DMC or Monster Hunter. I would say it's a 3D Dungeon and Dragons. If you can give the equivalent of mage, mystic night, strider, or mystic Archer in DMC or monster hunter, I'll go out and buy a monster hunter game right now.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I haven't even bought the first one, but both it's demos are enough to make me go hhhhnnnnnggggg for a Next-Gen sequel. Wouldn't mind a spot of multiplayer, either.

klee123

sörine;86934694 said:
1.3 million shipped worldwide and Japan was about 450k sold of that. I wouldn't call that an insignificant western sales ratio.

If you include Dark Arisen it's over 650K just on PS3.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=76318019&postcount=6

670,813 Dragon's Dogma (Capcom) {2012-05-24} (Dragon's Dogma / Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen )

Considering that Dark Arisen practically bombed in the west. I'd suspect that Japanese PS3 sales would have accounted to around 1/2 of the overall sales (both Original and Dark Arisen).

Add in the western PS3 sales of the original DD and it'll easily favor the PS3 in terms of platform breakdown.

Midou

Loved Dragon's Dogma, would definitely buy a new one.

I haven't even bought the first one, but both it's demos are enough to make me go hhhhnnnnnggggg for a Next-Gen sequel. Wouldn't mind a spot of multiplayer, either.

Yeah, something like Dark Souls. The way you summon pawns, it should just let you summon people too, but make it playable either way.

sörine

Banned
If you include Dark Arisen it's over 650K just on PS3.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=76318019&postcount=6

670,813 Dragon's Dogma (Capcom) {2012-05-24} (Dragon's Dogma / Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen )

Considering that Dark Arisen practically bombed in the west. I'd suspect that Japanese PS3 sales would have accounted to around 1/2 of the overall sales (both Original and Dark Arisen).

Add in the western PS3 sales and it'll easily favor the PS3 in terms of platform breakdown.
I doubt it but without Dark Arisen shipments we don't know for sure. I still wouldn't characterize western sales as insignificant for Dragon's Dogma.

abadguy

Banned
sörine;86934694 said:

Yeah i don't see DD2 or a possible DMC5 being exclusive to the PS4( unless Sony are funding them) Capcom isn't that stu....oh wait.

vg260

The source site's translation of the original Japanese interview on PS blog is pretty terrible. I'll take a stab at a better one that might clarify what he's saying.

"[Regarding a direct DD sequel] I already have the story and setting worked out in my head, but I haven't been given a chance to work on it yet! If a lot of fans express their desire to see this come out on PS4, that might make it more likely to happen.

I also want to make a simulation game, and I'd like to make more franchise titles, like a third Rival Schools or a fifth DMC. Something else I'd like to do is make a game based on real martial arts, and establish a new fighting genre like SFII did in its time. I have so many ideas and concepts in my head, all I need is a chance to act on them!"

Note that he doesn't say he wants to make a gardening game; the term 'garden in a box' is the Japanese idiom used to refer to games like SimCity where the player creates and cultivates a small world or something like a world.

Thanks for the clearer translation. So pretty much he wants to do all of these just like Ono wants to do Darkstalkers. :/

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like he's just running down a list of games he'd make given unlimited time and money.

I'm just satisfied knowing hes still creatively interested in the series.

And that DMC hasn't gone the way of megaman or onimusha. Where the fan demand is there, but the current staff have no ideas or creative interest for new entries in those IP's.

Some Nobody

The source site's translation of the original Japanese interview on PS blog is pretty terrible. I'll take a stab at a better one that might clarify what he's saying.

"[Regarding a direct DD sequel] I already have the story and setting worked out in my head, but I haven't been given a chance to work on it yet! If a lot of fans express their desire to see this come out on PS4, that might make it more likely to happen.

I also want to make a simulation game, and I'd like to make more franchise titles, like a third Rival Schools or a fifth DMC. Something else I'd like to do is make a game based on real martial arts, and establish a new fighting genre like SFII did in its time. I have so many ideas and concepts in my head, all I need is a chance to act on them!"

Note that he doesn't say he wants to make a gardening game; the term 'garden in a box' is the Japanese idiom used to refer to games like SimCity where the player creates and cultivates a small world or something like a world.

OP should be edited to add a much more accurate translation, methinks.

The worst parts of DD1 are when they try to tell a story Ie the very beginning and the very end. All I want to do is adventure. Just let me have a FUCKING ADVENTURE! You sound like the kind of person that ruined RESIDENT EVIL for everyone, "I want to know Leon Kennedy's story."

Nope. Ask for skippable cutscenes so you can just ignore all the BS, but I'm tired of gamers asking for games (ESPECIALLY RPGs) in which you don't actually play a role but just wander around. I need a reason to go on all these quests, not just "because its a video game".

Not really. It's Monster Hunter with DMC's combat, with a nice layer of brown slathered on top of it. Story gets pretty weird halfway through, though

The DMC combat part sounds kinda brilliant. But the bolded is why I skipped out on Dragon's Dogma. It came out a little while after Amalur. I looked at the screens for Amalur with its lush forests and beautiful deserts, then looked at Dogma's color desaturated world and promptly chose the game I'll never get a sequel to, but I've got zero regrets.

As far as Itsuno, this just sounds like a wishlist. Although why Dragon's Dogma isn't on the books for a sequel is shocking to me. DMC5 too, since I bet it could get the two million DmC didn't get.

Now Rival Schools? That along with them managing not to ruin DMC5, would help make Capcom relevant again.

Dahbomb

I am sick of all the DmC bashing around here.
It's not a bash, it's the truth. DmC is not DMC5, it's not marketed as such and is not labeled as such. And by what Itsuno just said that further confirms that DmC is not in fact DMC5.

The person who said that DMC5 was already released was the one who was trolling and he obviously knew he was trolling.

klee123

sörine;86939734 said:
I doubt it but without Dark Arisen shipments we don't know for sure. I still wouldn't characterize western sales as insignificant for Dragon's Dogma.

Considering that I had trouble finding copies of Dark Arisen on release, along with the fact that Dark Arisen did than less than 58K on its first month in the US and with barely any presence on the European sales charts, it's definite that Dark Arisen sold the most in Japan.

I'm not getting my hopes up. On any of this news, really. Not that I wouldn't take a proper return to the DMC universe and a Dragon's Dogma with (hopefully) better performance.

Capcom done hurt me before.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Omfg I read that as Dragon's Crown and my weiner almost fell off in excitement. But I'll take a Dragon's Dogma sequel too. A sequel without those horrid black bars that they used due to technical limitations.

ShinAmano

Next to Street Fighter Dragons Dogma was my favorite Capcom game this generation...can't wait to see a sequel.
Was sad Deep Down was not Dragons Dogma 2 :(

Top Bottom