• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes February 10th

Bloodborne in Japan is a huge question mark though. The userbase there is just now creeping past 1M total.

Well ps4 is about to get a boost in Japan before Bloodborne with Dragon Quest Heroes. Plus both Bloodborne and The Order will be just fine. People always seem to forget that making a game for a single platform keeps production cost lower and thus it doesn't need to sell as much. Plus both games are getting great amount of attention right now in an otherwise slow time of year.

On Demand

Banned
Welp. Guess that's that. What a buzzkill

You guys take any possible negative thing and run far across the universe with it. The Order is out next week. BB next month. It's obvious closer to release pre orders will pick up. Pre orders don't tell all anyway. BB will not flop.

Chobel

Any link to the post? Trying to find it, but it's quite difficult.

Here you go
Fun facts.

The Order 1886 has almost 100k more preorders than Bloodborne in the US. It also had more preorders when Bloodborne was scheduled to release before it.

Premium editions are pretty much all accounted for as we are not allowed to take any more preorders for it at most gamestops.

It is just under 200k preorders in the US alone so thinking it will only get 250k sales is pretty silly.

He said this last month, so things could have changed a bit.

Bloodborne will do just fine. There is no pressure for this game to sell like a blockbuster, but it is essentiel for ps4 to offer diversity. and it will rise the appeal for it in japan, what is important. The Order, bashed and laughed at for quite a while seems to turn out surprisingly good as a game. this, plus the graphics plus the marketing could result in not only very nice sales numbers, but also drive hardware a lot.
these are some really interesting games to follow.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Here you go

He said this last month, so things could have changed a bit.

Thanks for the correction, then.

Well, while I didn't find this post, I found another possibly interesting one, after all. From one month ago as well, though.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=147077015&postcount=60

The numbers aren't that good to be honest neither version (XB1 or PS4) is in the top 15 but they are both in the top 20. Its kind of funny the XB1 version is 18th and the PS4 version is 19th with less than 2k preorders separating them.

The high being 46k the low being 44.6k Added together they barely beat Bloodbornes numbers and are completely stomped by Arkham Knight on just the PS4, not sure what happened or if I missed something about AK but its numbers jumped significantly last week.

Evolve is very fun and if they can add more monsters, maps and hunters over time I can see it having a strong cult following and doing very well for the studio. Not so sure about how its initial sales will look though.

Edited to add:
Pre Order numbers are pretty deceptive, as a general rule if we got 46k pre orders we will generally sell 3/4ths or less of that actual number unless its a very established franchise.

Especially the EDIT about preorders and actual numbers.

Mpl90

To be honest, what makes me worried about BB is what Osiris said here

Not sure what's up with Bloodborne pre order numbers but they are pretty dreadful especially when directly compared to other souls releases.

That's what triggered my reaction, at least. Still, it's true that we need to see what's going to happen nearer to the release. Heck, I have to admit that TO:1886 will probably make me eat a crow. I though it would have been a failure (not like DriveClub in US, though...still not a great result), but in this last month its charting trend on Amazon.com improved drastically (maybe due to more promotion by Sony?). It's true that Amazon.com tends to be "biased" towards core/some Sony releases, but the game's recent trend makes me think the "bias" has a minor part in the probably pretty good debut for the game.

However, it seems I won't eat it for Evolve. The game is dropping fast.

Mpl90

What Amazon Bias?

I know it's probably an inadequate term, but, basically, it's the tendency of Amazon of showing games aimed at more core gamers (including Sony games in this) higher or (maybe more correctly) "stronger" than what the actual numbers represent then. If you want a big example of that, and a non-linked-to-Sony one on top of that, well...Bayonetta 2. But there are other games that, while surely doing well, didn't have such gigantic debuts despite their Amazon showing (Bravely Default).

TomShoe

Banned
Sony should know that something like Bloodborne won't sell as much as a mainstream title like The Order.

That much is obvious. I expect it to be like Sony's Sunset Overdrive: not so much similar in style, but in that it's a title meant to appeal to enthusiasts, and in PS4s case, Japan. Adding diversity to an exclusive lineup is never a bad thing.

That much is obvious. I expect it to be like Sony's Sunset Overdrive: not so much similar in style, but in that it's a title meant to appeal to enthusiasts, and in PS4s case, Japan. Adding diversity to an exclusive lineup is never a bad thing.
Right, just like Scalebound for MS.

If the Dark Souls 2 number of 1.2 million for 3 weeks is right, I don't know what hope Bloodborne has of hitting 1 million in 4 weeks on a far smaller install base.

inFAMOUS is not a huge seller and did 1 million in 9 days. Much better then the previous game did on a much higher install base. It don't think it is that simple.

If the Dark Souls 2 number of 1.2 million for 3 weeks is right, I don't know what hope Bloodborne has of hitting 1 million in 4 weeks on a far smaller install base.

Bloodborne has a bit more hype surrounding it though and not much competition really. PS4 owners, though a smaller install base has nothing to do with how active that base is in buying games. Part of the problem with Dark Souls 2 was that it released post PS4 and X1 and didn't release on those consoles. A lot of active buyers from PS360 era have moved on to the new consoles and are not looking back. Honestly it would likely had sold more on PS4 and X1 even though they have a fraction of the "install base" as the PS360. Same thing haunted GT6 and Borderlands the Prequel.

gtj1092

I think you're caught in the GAF bubble.

Yes, it did. Was there for 11 days.

If you actually went to Amazon the price you would see was always less than 399 because 3rd party retailers were displayed. So the average person going to Amazon would never see that the Xbox price went to $399 unless they dug. Even if you go there now the price is below 349.

Bloodborne has a bit more hype surrounding it though and not much competition really. PS4 owners, though a smaller install base has nothing to do with how active that base is in buying games. Part of the problem with Dark Souls 2 was that it released post PS4 and X1 and didn't release on those consoles. A lot of active buyers from PS360 era have moved on to the new consoles and are not looking back. Honestly it would likely had sold more on PS4 and X1 even though they have a fraction of the "install base" as the PS360. Same thing haunted GT6 and Borderlands the Prequel.

Very good point. Hope it does well, the game looks great

Are they wrong? The game has no buzz, cannot see it breaking anymore than 300k first month at absolute best. Sony exclusives do shit in America and so far not much has changed with the PS4.

GAF flips shit when I comment on these things so not going there

Interesting read though

RexNovis

Banned
Are they wrong? The game has no buzz, cannot see it breaking anymore than 300k first month at absolute best. Sony exclusives do shit in America and so far not much has changed with the PS4.

Uhh have you looked at the gaming discussion thread page the past week or so? There is always at least 2 order threads present. Here's a few just to prove the point:

There's also a fairly popular spoiler thread that I wont link here.

Despite what some might think the game is getting a lot of positive attention lately which has led to a lot of horrendous trolling. I'm really curious to see how well the game sells.

GAF flips shit when I comment on these things so not going there

Interesting read though

Ah come on bruh, come on give us your input. You know you want to, who cares if people get pissy over it? This is a forum where people discuss video games and shitty comic book movies, can't do that in real life. :D

Uhh have you looked at the gaming discussion thread page the past week or so? There is always at least 2 order threads present. Here's a few just to prove the point:

There's also a fairly popular spoiler thread that I wont link here.

Despite what some might think the game is getting a lot of positive attention lately which has led to a lot of horrendous trolling. I'm really curious to see how well the game sells.

NeoGaf popularity =/= real world

If it did, bloodborne would already have 5 million copies pre-ordered but don't look like that has happened. This is an enthusiast website, nothing more and nothing less so for better or worse it does not represent the general gaming population. The Order having some nice threads means nothing in the real world.

Ah come on bruh, come on give us your input. You know you want to, who cares if people get pissy over it? This is a forum where people discuss video games and shitty comic book movies, can't do that in real life. :D

If it did, bloodborne would already have 5 million copies pre-ordered but don't look like that has happened. This is an enthusiast website, nothing more and nothing less so for better or worse it does not represent the general gaming population. The Order having some nice threads means nothing in the real world.

The Order 1886 is currently the #16 item in the Amazon top 100 videogames hourly ranking and the only full priced game in the top 20. It will most likely climb much higher the closer it gets to launch. That is is real world stat for you.

RexNovis

Banned

But its also #16 on Amazon best sellers and has been in the top 20 pretty much all week. Not to mention its seen a significant advertising push that seems to have been very effective.

Edit: Beaten

The Order 1886 is currently the #16 item in the Amazon top 100 videogames hourly ranking and the only full priced game in the top 20. That is is real world stat for you.

Look at the games in front of The Order on that list. GTA V which has been out a few months is handily beating it is as are two 3DS games, for a game just a week away that's pretty awful.

Also Amazon, come on lads and lasses.

Look at the games in front of The Order on that list. GTA V which has been out a few months is handily beating it is as are two 3DS games, for a game just a week away that's pretty awful.

All of those games are cheaper. Popular games always get a sales spike there when they get major price drops. Those two popular 3DS games release on Friday so it is expected they would be higher right now. News flash: the 3DS is allowed to have high-selling games. Amazon is a huge retailer. Not sure what what you are trying to argue, but you are losing.

RexNovis

Banned

GTAV beats everything. Have you not seen the sales numbers on that game? The 3DS games are releasing within a few days and as you said the Order isn't released until the 20th so this is solely preorder numbers. There are sure to be a lot more sales as we approach release and then again on day one. You're way too quick to dismiss what everyone is saying.

Eh? Sony had plenty of games that did well in America even during last gen. Or are you putting barrier to somewhere like 3 million?

RexNovis

Banned
Eh? Sony had plenty of games that did well in America even during last gen. Or are you putting barrier to somewhere like 3 million?

Even at 3 million there were bound to be some titles that broke that barrier. TLOU or UC2 perhaps. Aqua do you happen to have record of lifetime sales of Sony Published best sellers in NPD?

Even at 3 million there were bound to be some titles that broke that barrier. TLOU or UC2 perhaps. Aqua do you happen to have record of lifetime sales of Sony Published best sellers in NPD?

Dunno about 3 million but over 2 million I would guess that at least UC2, UC3, TLoU, GOWIII and GT5 went over that. Then for one million (which is still solid number for one region) even more titles. It's complete nonsense that Sony games don't sell in America. They just don't pull Halo or Mario Kart numbers.

Edit. Actually GOWIII was at 2.81 million in Americas over two years ago. Could be over 3 million.

RBK

Banned
inFAMOUS is not a huge seller and did 1 million in 9 days. Much better then the previous game did on a much higher install base. It don't think it is that simple.

Would I be wrong in saying it only sold that much given it's relatively early release in the PS4's life?

Granted The Order/Bloodborne are in pretty similar situations, but the market is much more saturated with quality games than it was 4 months into launch.

GT5 isn't as high as you think it is in USA NPD.

Don't get me wrong...it still sold fantastic....but it's more of an absolute beast in Europe.

I'm on my Note 4 on a Metro North train leaving Grand Central. Maybe later.

RexNovis

Banned
Gran Turismo 5?

Oh good one. Can't believe I didn't think of that.

Dunno about 3 million but over 2 million I would guess that at least UC2, UC3, TLoU, GOWIII and GT5 went over that. Then for one million (which is still solid number for one region) even more titles. It's complete nonsense that Sony games don't sell in America. They just don't pull Halo or Mario Kart numbers.

Edit. Actually GOWIII was at 2.81 million in Americas over two years ago. Could be over 3 million.

Halo sales have proven incredibly front loaded with little to no legs on the pas two major releases (Halo 4 and MCC) it wouldn't surprise me if some of the above titles ended up outselling them LTD in the US given the cliff sales fell off. Mario Kart and Smash are in a league all their own though as far sales and attach rates go. Regardless the dialogue that Sony published titles don't sell in the US is factually false. We know for a fact that they do sell and some go on to sell quite well. Just because every release is not a massive blockbuster success story doesnt mean their software fails to resonate with the market.

I'm on my Note 4 on a Metro North train leaving Grand Central. Maybe later.

By all means. No rush.

Top Bottom