• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Maybe 3 hours is enough for the Peace Park, A-dome, and museum?

Depends how fast you are in the museum :p We spent over 3 hours in there, maybe about an hour total for the Peace Park and A-Dome. Mileage will vary based on how fast you read and how much of it you read. We were pretty thorough.

Zatoth

Is Kamakura and Enoshima Island doable on one day without being to stressful? Want to go to Enoshima Island mainly for the Spa.

And can you use the JR Pass to go there? Japan-Guide mentions JR lines, but not the pass.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Wife is catching up with a friend for a long lunch in shinjuku tomorrow - what is there to do there or nearby to kill a couple of hours with my kids (11 & 14)?

Also this tooco wifi is bloody slow today. Wife's is still fine (we rented two so we can communicate via what's app). The only difference is mine has downloaded 2GB (don't know why - the iPhone and iPad are very data hungry when they are on wifi), but that should reset each day?

Zyzyxxz

O

Oh and where is the best okonomiyaki in Hiroshima?

Thanks!

There are literally thousands of okonomiyaki joints there. There will be buildings several stories tall and each level with have several okonomiyaki restaurants and nothing else.

My best bet is just go for the one with the longest line.

JEKKI

everybody's favorite FGC friend Markman recommended some wifi pockets from this website:

https://en.wifi-rental-store.jp/order.html

does anybody know why this site is significantly cheaper than what's recommended on the front page?

8 day Y Mobile costs ¥3600

while the front page recommended sites cost like well over ¥5000.

o_O

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
everybody's favorite FGC friend Markman recommended some wifi pockets from this website:

https://en.wifi-rental-store.jp/order.html

does anybody know why this site is significantly cheaper than what's recommended on the front page?

8 day Y Mobile costs ¥3600

while the front page recommended sites cost like well over ¥5000.

o_O

All I know is... I've been using this web store for the past 2 years and never had any issues. Easy to rent/return from HND or NRT post office. Great stuff.

They even have an English speaking help desk and you can do a store pick-up in Akihabara. Highly recommended.

For some background info. I travel to Japan for work every other month. I often use WiFi for everything from skype calls, social media, watching Twitch streams, etc. I've even streamed using the WiFi connection (depends on your area of course). I've been using the au model as it fits what I need for it to do.

Zoe

Only a couple more days!

I'm so stressed about getting my concert tickets though, that I'm not too excited yet. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing :lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
All I know is... I've been using this web store for the past 2 years and never had any issues. Easy to rent/return from HND or NRT post office. Great stuff.

They even have an English speaking help desk and you can do a store pick-up in Akihabara. Highly recommended.

For some background info. I travel to Japan for work every other month. I often use WiFi for everything from skype calls, social media, watching Twitch streams, etc. I've even streamed using the WiFi connection (depends on your area of course). I've been using the au model as it fits what I need for it to do.

No bumping into data caps? Got a reply from tocoo and they said there is effectively a 1.5GB usage cap spread over 3 days. Go over that and it'll throttle until it resets at the end of the three day period. Generally fine though (about 6,000 yen for 9-30 days fixed) but not good for streaming video due to the caps

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
No bumping into data caps? Got a reply from tocoo and they said there is effectively a 1.5GB usage cap spread over 3 days. Go over that and it'll throttle until it resets at the end of the three day period. Generally fine though (about 6,000 yen for 9-30 days fixed) but not good for streaming video due to the caps

I haven't had issue with data caps at all. I did using the other providers, but not the au option.

I'll be staying near Nakanosakaue Station.

Am I near any animes? Anyways, aside from Akihabara, is there anything nearby I can do with the short amount of time I have?

Jan 8th - Arrive NRT 4:25pm
Hotel Near Nakanosakaue Station
7pm - Dinner near Nakanosakaue Station
(So I'm buessing 2.5 hours is just enough time to go to my hotel and check in before dinner? Is there anything near there like next door nearby I can check out in that short time?)
After Dinner - ???????

Jan 9th - Morning-Afternoon: CARD GAMES
Afternoon-Night: ???

Jan 10th- ??? - ???

Fly out, NRT, 8:10pm (How much time should I give myself to go to the airport and check-in, assuming I have a shuttle (or rail?) from the hotel?)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So even with the unseasonably warm weather we lucked out and there is some snow at GALA nazawa. And it snowed overnight so hopefully better today. I think if we come again we will rent equipment at GALA for convenience - we rented in town this time and it was annoying walking around getting on shuttle buses etc in ski gear

Resilient

I'm apparently staying at an anime deadzone. :( Thanks for the map it's very helpful.

Anyone know any good apps that you talk into and it spits out Japanese, also Japanese talk into it and it spits out English? I thought I saw a video of that somewhere

if you find the app send it to me

scarlet

Might be going to Japan again for 3 straight years just for takaragawa onsen lol

Planning for fall season, so mid november to early december

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hyperdia app is good for train timetables, but I dont think it has station maps? It would be useful when changing lines to have an idea where you are going - so a timetable showing which line would be great (and a station map even better)

Hyperdia app is good for train timetables, but I dont think it has station maps? It would be useful when changing lines to have an idea where you are going - so a timetable showing which line would be great (and a station map even better)

It doesn't. It sometimes show track numbers for certain stations though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It doesn't. It sometimes show track numbers for certain stations though.

Are track numbers generally fixed? If so I can either look them up in advance, or make a note the first time through.

Neko cafe in akihabara this afternoon. I can think of more interesting uses of my time in akihabara but the kids want cats..

I have used google maps only for subway/trains. It tells you platform number and line name/symbol which makes it pretty easy. No train number though.

It has told me the wrong platform before though, so i usually check the stop line map before i get on lately. It also tells you the stops along the way, and sometimes those have been off as well. That could be a weekend thing though or it has problems with local/express lines.

One thing i wish it did was tell you what exit to take at a station. It is confusing sometimes. And if it had station maps.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The capybara exhibit was closed at Ueno, and the red panda was sleeping :(

Which one?

Neko Lala or something. Just picked at random I think. My wife actually asked if I wanted to go to a maid cafe but i declined - cute overdose probably gets annoying.

Zoe

Neko Lala or something. Just picked at random I think. My wife actually asked if I wanted to go to a maid cafe but i declined - cute overdose probably gets annoying.

Please share your impressions! I think we're planning to go to one in Akasuka, but there's another one in Akihabara (nyanny) that keeps popping up on the map.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Please share your impressions! I think we're planning to go to one in Akasuka, but there's another one in Akihabara (nyanny) that keeps popping up on the map.

Impressions 1 - it's not a cafe, more a room with drinks served - which is fine as it's mainly for the cats

Impressions 2 - pick a time when the cats are more active. 11-2 and 6-8 are apparently good, mid afternoon they are sleepy or less active. We didn't have much choice in time as we needed to fill space between other things

Bullza2o

Thanks again everyone for your input!

I have been vacillating over where to go for my day 1 and 3, and day 2 will just be a Hiroshima + Miyajima day trip. On day 1 we will arrive at KIX around 10AM, and I was planning on going straight to Kyoto station, eat lunch and store our luggages there, and see the bamboo groves and fushimi inari (both accessible by JR trains) before checking in at an AirBnB in Shin-Osaka. Afterwards we could maybe go to Dotonbori or Kyoto again for the evening.

An alternative would be to go to Himeji for half the day and eat at Wakkoqu in Kobe before checking in at the AirBnB in Shin-Osaka, then proceed to Dotonbori or Kyoto for the evening if time permits. However, I do not know how crowded the castle would be and/or if keep tickets would be available. I have read that the keep is boring though, so maybe just walking around the perimeter of the keep would suffice?

So this is the overview for the Kansai leg of the trip:
Day 1 (Mon): Arrive KIX, Himeji or Kyoto (bamboo groves + Fushimi inari), stay in Shin-Osaka
Day 2 (Tue): Miyajima + Hiroshima, stay in Shin-Osaka (discussed earlier)
Day 3 (Wed): Himeji half day + Kyoto half day or Kyoto full day (Higashiyama area), stay in Kyoto
Day 4 (Thu): Kyoto half day (Kinkakuji, just roaming around the city) then Tokyo

Thanks again!

I have been vacillating over where to go for my day 1 and 3, and day 2 will just be a Hiroshima + Miyajima day trip. On day 1 we will arrive at KIX around 10AM, and I was planning on going straight to Kyoto station, eat lunch and store our luggages there, and see the bamboo groves and fushimi inari (both accessible by JR trains) before checking in at an AirBnB in Shin-Osaka. Afterwards we could maybe go to Dotonbori or Kyoto again for the evening.

Are you getting your JR Passes at KIX? Remember that it could be crowded and it could take 1-2 hours at the JR station to get the passes and get train tickets if it is.

I'd recommend going with Himeji on day 1 if you're actually doing this. In the worst case you'll be at Himeji at 15:00 or so and will have 2 hours to explore.

In the worst case if you're going to the bamboo groves you'll be there at 15:00 or so and then spend an 1 hour or so and then you'll need to go to Fushimi Inari and you'll be there at 16-17 and if you plan to go to the top of the mountain, then that won't work.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there a way to register for the SoftBank wifi '14 days free for tourists' without calling *8081 or whatever the number is? I just get a failed call in my iPhone even though I don't have international calls blocked (I even paid extra so I can bring my domestic minutes with me).

Is there a way to register for the SoftBank wifi '14 days free for tourists' without calling *8081 or whatever the number is? I just get a failed call in my iPhone even though I don't have international calls blocked (I even paid extra so I can bring my domestic minutes with me).

Are you connected to the SoftBank network? That's the only way you can get it to work.

Here's a guide for setting SoftBank as the carrier on iPhone:
www.softbank.jp/en/mobile/special/freewifi/en/setting/iphone/

Bullza2o

Are you getting your JR Passes at KIX? Remember that it could be crowded and it could take 1-2 hours at the JR station to get the passes and get train tickets if it is.

I'd recommend going with Himeji on day 1 if you're actually doing this. In the worst case you'll be at Himeji at 15:00 or so and will have 2 hours to explore.

In the worst case if you're going to the bamboo groves you'll be there at 15:00 or so and then spend an 1 hour or so and then you'll need to go to Fushimi Inari and you'll be there at 16-17 and if you plan to go to the top of the mountain, then that won't work.

Yeah at KIX. Ah I did not consider that it could take some time to get the pass and train tickets. We'll probably leave the airport around 12-13:00 then.

Yeah I was thinking probably just doing Himeji and dinner in Kobe and call it a day (maybe also see Dotonbori as it is a 15min Y240 subway ride). Hopefully the castle won't be crowded at that time considering the season.

So if I miss the keep I probably won't miss much?

If I do this, I can check out on Day 3 really early and spend the whole day in Kyoto, which should make time management more manageable.

Fushimi Inari is a trek if you want to see all of it (though, to be honest there's not much of a payoff a the top).

it's like 1-1.5 hour tops. don't be lazy. do it at night and get lost going up for bonus fun.

I was not planning on going through the whole circle at Fushimi Inari, maybe just walk for a little then come back down. My family probably would not want to do this especially at night, but if I were by myself I would be up for this haha. Jet lagged guy getting lost in a foreign mountain lol.

So overall if I go to just the bamboo groves and Fushimi Inari it would take like 2-2.5 hours total.

So overall if I go to just the bamboo groves and Fushimi Inari it would take like 2-2.5 hours total.

Is that including the train travel in Kyoto? Could take anywhere from 50 min to 1.5 hours to go from Kyoto Station to Arashiyama to Inari and back to Kyoto Station again. +20-30 mins or so back and forth from stations to the attractions.

Bullza2o

Is that including the train travel in Kyoto? Could take anywhere from 50 min to 1.5 hours to go from Kyoto Station to Arashiyama to Inari and back to Kyoto Station again. +20-30 mins or so back and forth from stations to the attractions.

No, just the attractions. 1 hour at the bamboo groves might be overkill, but 1-1.5 hours should be enough to enjoy Fushimi Inari.

According to hyperdia, Kyoto Station to Saga-Arashiyama via JR Sagano takes 16min, and there seems to be a train stopping by around every 15 minutes at both stations going both directions. Kyoto-Inari JR trains going both directions take 5 minutes and a train is available every 15 minutes. I think that's pretty frequent compared to the Kyoto-Shin-Osaka Hikari lines, where the interval seems to be 30 minutes.

But yeah if I go to Himeji it would simplify my itinerary as we would only have one destination. Well Kobe (to try the beef) would then be included, but we wouldn't go downtown to see the harbor. Himeji would take 2 hours by itself, and dinner can take its time.

I do not know how jet lagged we will be, so I have to take that into account as well when making my decision for my day 1 itinerary. I do plan on trying to sleep early like 9 or 10 to adjust to the new time zone more quickly.

Top Bottom