• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Well, my journey is almost at an end. Ufortunately. Anyways, I need to return my wifi device and have the envelope I'm supposed to put it in. Question, can I ask the hotel staff to mail it for me ir is that not possible? If not, where to I leave it? I'm in the shinjuku area as of this moment. Any site I can go and check where mailboxes are? How do japanese mailboxes look like? Never really seen one lol

You can ask the staff and they might say yes or they might say no.

Normal mailboxes looks like this and they're everywhere:
xaoFwT9.jpg

You put in in the right slot.

KillGore

You can also go to Lawson, Ministop or Seicomart and deliver it there if it's a Japan Post package you're shipping.

How do I know if it's a Japan Post Package? I'm assuming the logo will be in the front of the package? I'll check when I get back to the room

Btw Robot Restaurant was great. There was one cringey moment in the second act (kung fu panda vs power rangers like villains. Sharks and giant snakes fighting robots. Etc) but the rest was great.

Zatoth

Well, my journey is almost at an end. Ufortunately. Anyways, I need to return my wifi device and have the envelope I'm supposed to put it in. Question, can I ask the hotel staff to mail it for me ir is that not possible? If not, where to I leave it? I'm in the shinjuku area as of this moment. Any site I can go and check where mailboxes are? How do japanese mailboxes look like? Never really seen one lol

There is also a mailbox at the Narita airport, before you enter the security check.

Zoe

Does anybody know how long it takes to get from the mainland to the island on the Miyajima ferry?

Hastati

Does anybody know how long it takes to get from the mainland to the island on the Miyajima ferry?

Looks like it only takes about 10 minutes. I've been on it before, it wasn't very long. I remember waiting longer for the ferry itself than the actual trip.

Thanks. I have a mastercard, but if I would pull money I would use my Maestro (in 7-Eleven). I allready cleared it with the bank, so my card isn't blocked anymore for Asia (which is standard)

I'll bring cash and change it in the airport. My bank has pretty shitty exchange rates.

You might be better off going to a bank in Japan? I've gotten better rates at the past at multiple different JP banks, just something to consider.

You can ask the staff and they might say yes or they might say no.

Normal mailboxes looks like this and they're everywhere:

You put in in the right slot.
I was asking the person at the front desk of the hotel I was staying where one of these were cuz I had the same issue, I was on the Yaesu side of Tokyo Station and the guy told me to go all across to the Marunouchi side to find a post office.

I walk outside the hotel and just around the corner there was a mailbox outside. lol

Lost in translation, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gacha-pin

What are our options if we want to watch broadcast TV without having a TV? I know there are 1seg tuners we could buy in Japan, but they're way too expensive for something we'd only be using for a week at most. There's something like this, but bf thinks we need might something more than just the tuner.

(I really just want to watch the Kouhaku and maybe some other year-end shows live)

go to mom & pop type izakaya, manga kissa, internet cafe.

As for the tuners, some of them are pretty cheap.
ワンセグチューナーusb

mrklaw

MrArseFace
question about LTE bands/frequencies. We're going to be in Japan over christmas, and last time we rented a mobile wifi router from the airport for about 1300 yen per day. Now I happen to have a 4G mobile router from EE in the UK - osprey 2 mini which is a rebadged Alcatel (UMTS 900/1800/2100 Mhz / FDD LTE Bands 3/7/20). It is unlocked so I'm wondering if it'll work in Japan, and if so, is it possible to rent a data SIM for the duration?

Likewise is it worth getting phone SIMs to replace our current ones? Can you get PAYG sims in Japan? We've previously borrowed my father-in-law's old flip phone, but it would be handy if we could just reuse our existing phones. We may still need a mobile router for the ipads to use, depending whether we can use the phones via tethering. I have an unlocked iphone 6s plus and my wife has an xperia M2.Both UK models but I think at least 3G should work in Japan?

Dandte

I was finally able to break down my 15k+ shots to around 1500

If someone is interested in 6 weeks of Japan, mostly nature and culture, not so much anime related things, though i enjoyed them, but didn't took a lot of photos, feel free to have a look. Again thanks for the advices and help from you guys!

https://goo.gl/photos/NMnakzDScLBGyMMi9

KillGore

I was asking the person at the front desk of the hotel I was staying where one of these were cuz I had the same issue, I was on the Yaesu side of Tokyo Station and the guy told me to go all across to the Marunouchi side to find a post office.

I walk outside the hotel and just around the corner there was a mailbox outside. lol

Lost in translation, I guess. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I asked at the front desk of the hotel and they told me they would take care of it. Hopefully they follow through lol

Great photos, thanks for sharing :) Is this photo from Tokyo Leisure Land in Odaiba? Always meant to pop in there but never really found the time.

Looks like Daiba-Itchome Shotengai in the Decks shopping mall.

question about LTE bands/frequencies. We're going to be in Japan over christmas, and last time we rented a mobile wifi router from the airport for about 1300 yen per day. Now I happen to have a 4G mobile router from EE in the UK - osprey 2 mini which is a rebadged Alcatel (UMTS 900/1800/2100 Mhz / FDD LTE Bands 3/7/20). It is unlocked so I'm wondering if it'll work in Japan, and if so, is it possible to rent a data SIM for the duration?

Likewise is it worth getting phone SIMs to replace our current ones? Can you get PAYG sims in Japan? We've previously borrowed my father-in-law's old flip phone, but it would be handy if we could just reuse our existing phones. We may still need a mobile router for the ipads to use, depending whether we can use the phones via tethering. I have an unlocked iphone 6s plus and my wife has an xperia M2.Both UK models but I think at least 3G should work in Japan?

It's much cheaper to rent a WiFi device than getting a data sim if you plan to use a lot of data. Tocoo is the cheapest I've seen so far. Used them twice without any problems myself: http://wifi.tocoo.jp/en/

Where are you planning to call with the phone SIMs? To the UK or within Japan?

Dandte

Great photos, thanks for sharing :) Is this photo from Tokyo Leisure Land in Odaiba? Always meant to pop in there but never really found the time.

Happy to hear that you like them :) Tokyo Leisure Land was fun, never seen so many different arcades in one hall, srly hummer, batting and sniper(o_O) arcades + fishing ponds etc. but it is from

this :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace

It's much cheaper to rent a WiFi device than getting a data sim if you plan to use a lot of data. Tocoo is the cheapest I've seen so far. Used them twice without any problems myself: http://wifi.tocoo.jp/en/

Where are you planning to call with the phone SIMs? To the UK or within Japan?

Not planning to call a lot, but it would be within japan - eg if we split up somewhere I can call her mobile (she'll probably borrow her fathers spare one). I can pay vodafone £5 per day (only paid when I actually use it though), or its about £1.50 per minute to make a call (and about the same just to receive one!)

is there a data limit on that wifi rental? there will be four of us using it for mostly web browsing and messaging, but it would be handy for occasional streaming. Although at that price I might get two so my wife and I can communicate via hangouts or whatsapp rather than calling - 4500 yen for two weeks is great value, that is less than four days rental from telecom square

is there a data limit on that wifi rental? there will be four of us using it for mostly web browsing and messaging, but it would be handy for occasional streaming. Although at that price I might get two so my wife and I can communicate via hangouts or whatsapp rather than calling - 4500 yen for two weeks is great value, that is less than four days rental from telecom square

No limit on data, except if you start streaming video or torrent stuff :p

http://wifi.tocoo.jp/en/faq.php

Basically there is no limit, however, some limited might be applied for software like file sharing.

Please note, if watching video online for 30 minutes per day, bandwidth might be restricted.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Not long - 10 mins or so. When we went, we stayed in a hotel right at the dock area. So we did Hiroshima then took the train to miyajima, then stayed the night. That way we were up early and got an early ferry while it was still quiet. Also we had to be back in Tokyo that evening so getting an early start was helpful

Zoe

Did 7/11 resolve their issues with MC at the ATM? I don't see the notice anymore.

Looks like it only takes about 10 minutes. I've been on it before, it wasn't very long. I remember waiting longer for the ferry itself than the actual trip.

Not long - 10 mins or so. When we went, we stayed in a hotel right at the dock area. So we did Hiroshima then took the train to miyajima, then stayed the night. That way we were up early and got an early ferry while it was still quiet. Also we had to be back in Tokyo that evening so getting an early start was helpful

Thanks! bf was misreading the 10 minute thing on the website, but we figured it out. I think we're trying to make a quick stop by there from Oita to Yokohama, so that day will be pretty tight.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's Hokkaido looking like for skiing in December? My wife was trying to book a package with Shinkansen and ski pass etc but they've been slow to put anything up because of the warm weather. Wondering if there was a better outlook that those in Japan might know about?

Would just be a quick trip - Shinkansen from Tokyo, one or possibly two night stay max.

What's Hokkaido looking like for skiing in December? My wife was trying to book a package with Shinkansen and ski pass etc but they've been slow to put anything up because of the warm weather. Wondering if there was a better outlook that those in Japan might know about?

Would just be a quick trip - Shinkansen from Tokyo, one or possibly two night stay max.

You know it takes about 10 hours one way by train from Tokyo to Sapporo, right?

Would probably be better to plan a trip to Yuzawa or something:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7690.html

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Booked for Christmas Day and Boxing Day at Gala, with an overnight stay in a hotel in the nearby town. Dinner & breakfast included, plus 500yen gift from the hotel gift shop (Japan does seem to like their added value packages..)

I've never been skiing, but it'll be really nice to be on a snowy mountainside on Christmas Day :)

Zatoth

Only ~2 weeks left till I go to Japan. Anything special around Christmas and New Year that I should not miss in and around Tokyo?

edit. Oh and any recommendations for a Fukubukuro?

Only ~2 weeks left till I go to Japan. Anything special around Christmas and New Year that I should not miss in and around Tokyo?

edit. Oh and any recommendations for a Fukubukuro?

Christmas is more of a Valentines type thing in Japan. For New Years, pretty much any temple or shrine you go to will probably be flooded with people, it's interesting to see. Be prepared to wait in line to go in if you try to go somewhere like Sensoji Temple.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Will trains run ok on New Year's Day? Our flight home is on 1st Jan and we have to get from Inage to Haneda. Usually we fly from barista which is closer for us, but this time we are going indirect to save money.

Bullza2o

Hello everyone! I'm excited to say that I will be traveling to Japan for (almost) a week, from April 04 to 10. I will need some advice during my itinerary planning. I hope you guys can help!

I've been to Tokyo for 4 days back in summer 2012, and this time I will be in Kyoto and Tokyo during the Hanami season. Looking for hotels is a huge pain because it's so expensive (for a family of 4), but I booked an affordable Airbnb listing in Shin-Osaka and will probably do the same in Tokyo.

So now here is my preliminary itinerary:
Day 1 (Mon): Arrive KIX, Kyoto half day + night (Kiyomizudera says it's open at night)
Day 2 (Tue): Kyoto
Day 3 (Wed): Himeji/Kyoto - Tokyo evening
Day 4 (Thu): Tokyo
Day 5 (Fri): Nikko
Day 6 (Sat): Tokyo
Day 7 (Sun): Depart NRT at noon, so will probably have nothing done on this day

I've also been thinking of these alternatives
Extend Kansai stay by a day for Hiroshima Trip, lose Nikko day
Day 2 (Tue): Hiroshima/Miyajima (Peace Park/Museum, A-Dome, Itsukushima Torii only) day trip
Day 3 (Wed): Kyoto
Day 4 (Thu): Travel to Tokyo in AM, Tokyo day
Day 5 and 6: Tokyo
(Or maybe still go to Nikko on Friday)

I was already planning on buying a JR Pass for this trip, because despite the one-way Kyoto-Tokyo shinkansen I would also be going to Nikko, which should put the price close to the $235 or so price tag of the pass.

Please let me know if I am being unrealistic with my plans. This is, after all, the hanami season and it looks like Kyoto will be crowded.

Any other suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance!

Which would be the best option for living in for a year and visiting the other for 1~2 weeks in terms of how much there is to do over time and things to do in the surrounding area on day trips? Tokyo or Kansai region?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hello everyone! I'm excited to say that I will be traveling to Japan for (almost) a week, from April 04 to 10. I will need some advice during my itinerary planning. I hope you guys can help!

I've been to Tokyo for 4 days back in summer 2012, and this time I will be in Kyoto and Tokyo during the Hanami season. Looking for hotels is a huge pain because it's so expensive (for a family of 4), but I booked an affordable Airbnb listing in Shin-Osaka and will probably do the same in Tokyo.

So now here is my preliminary itinerary:
Day 1 (Mon): Arrive KIX, Kyoto half day + night (Kiyomizudera says it's open at night)
Day 2 (Tue): Kyoto
Day 3 (Wed): Himeji/Kyoto - Tokyo evening
Day 4 (Thu): Tokyo
Day 5 (Fri): Nikko
Day 6 (Sat): Tokyo
Day 7 (Sun): Depart NRT at noon, so will probably have nothing done on this days

I've also been thinking of these alternatives
Extend Kansai stay by a day for Hiroshima Trip, lose Nikko day
Day 2 (Tue): Hiroshima/Miyajima (Peace Park/Museum, A-Dome, Itsukushima Torii only) day trip
Day 3 (Wed): Kyoto
Day 4 (Thu): Travel to Tokyo in AM, Tokyo day
Day 5 and 6: Tokyo
(Or maybe still go to Nikko on Friday)

I was already planning on buying a JR Pass for this trip, because despite the one-way Kyoto-Tokyo shinkansen I would also be going to Nikko, which should put the price close to the $235 or so price tag of the pass.

Please let me know if I am being unrealistic with my plans. This is, after all, the hanami season and it looks like Kyoto will be crowded.

Any other suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance!

How old are your kids? I really enjoyed Hiroshima and miyajima, but we didn't go into the Hiroshima museum as I was unsure about my kids reactions. In hindsight I'd have liked to have gone in and perhaps left them in the park. Miyajima with the deer was lovely, but we go there early in the morning and it was quiet. Not sure how it'd be during hanami. I'd definitely try and squeeze in a day trip if you can. Not going up the mountain is fine - there were some nice views but it wasn't a must-see, the shrine, the trip across on the ferry and the streets around the shrine are the main attraction IMO. Also the train from Hiroshima to miyajima was a little street going through the town which was an extra bonus.

Hiroshima okonomiyaki is a lot of fun - hot plate at your table :)

Bullza2o

How old are your kids? I really enjoyed Hiroshima and miyajima, but we didn't go into the Hiroshima museum as I was unsure about my kids reactions. In hindsight I'd have liked to have gone in and perhaps left them in the park. Miyajima with the deer was lovely, but we go there early in the morning and it was quiet. Not sure how it'd be during hanami. I'd definitely try and squeeze in a day trip if you can. Not going up the mountain is fine - there were some nice views but it wasn't a must-see, the shrine, the trip across on the ferry and the streets around the shrine are the main attraction IMO. Also the train from Hiroshima to miyajima was a little street going through the town which was an extra bonus.

Hiroshima okonomiyaki is a lot of fun - hot plate at your table :)
Thanks for your response! Sorry for not clarifying --my family means me (early 20s), my parents, and my sister who's in 8th grade. I think she can handle it. I expect the place to be emotionally heavy, but I don't know if it is suitable for her age. I do want to try the okonomiyaki!

Is it possible to do Himeji right at opening in the morning for 2 hours then do Peace Park, A-dome, museum, and Miyajima all in one day? I'd expect to see Miyajima at around 4pm at this point.

So would Hiroshima would be a better pick than Nikko if I only have to choose one? I really want to see Nikko but Yomeimon is wrapped up, which is like the main thing to see there. Maybe I should go to both.

Which would be the best option for living in for a year and visiting the other for 1~2 weeks in terms of how much there is to do over time and things to do in the surrounding area on day trips? Tokyo or Kansai region?

I'd say Tokyo, but it's probably better to ask in this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=884540

Is it possible to do Himeji right at opening in the morning for 2 hours then do Peace Park, A-dome, museum, and Miyajima all in one day? I'd expect to see Miyajima at around 4pm at this point.

It might be possible, but it'll be really hectic, and if it's crowded at Himeji and you want to go to the top of the castle, then forget it. But then again your schedule seems very busy anyway ;P

I'd think it'd be closer to 5-6 at Miyajima if you decide to do it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thanks for your response! Sorry for not clarifying --my family means me (early 20s), my parents, and my sister who's in 8th grade. I think she can handle it. I expect the place to be emotionally heavy, but I don't know if it is suitable for her age. I do want to try the okonomiyaki!

So would Hiroshima would be a better pick than Nikko if I only have to choose one? I really want to see Nikko but Yomeimon is wrapped up, which is like the main thing to see there. Maybe I should go to both.

How about taking your alternative day 4 where you travel to Tokyo, and breaking it up with Himeji? Kind of on the way back and will give you a break from the train with something to see. You'd probably still have Tokyo in the evening that day, plus the other two days in Tokyo?

Never looked at Nikko before - looks beautiful, will have to consider it for next time.

Sorry for not clarifying --my family means me (early 20s), my parents, and my sister who's in 8th grade. I think she can handle it. I expect the place to be emotionally heavy, but I don't know if it is suitable for her age.

Not sure how old you'd be in 8th grade, but just a warning that while a lot of the museum relies on you reading and understanding what happened, there are also... let's say diagrams and sculptures of some things that are pretty hard to forget.

Your call, but just a warning :) For the record, I definitely recommend people visit the museum if they're in Hiroshima.

Bullza2o

Thanks for the responses everyone! So I guess everyone agrees Hiroshima's a better day trip in my case?

It might be possible, but it'll be really hectic, and if it's crowded at Himeji and you want to go to the top of the castle, then forget it. But then again your schedule seems very busy anyway ;P

I'd think it'd be closer to 5-6 at Miyajima if you decide to do it.

Looking at Himeji Castle's website they anticipate code yellow, meaning a lot of people will probably come which would make numbered tickets to the keep necessary.

I already booked through airbnb but only until Day 3 wednesday. The owner has a moderate policy so I can still get a full refund before 5 days (minus airbnb fees). I should stay one more day in Kansai right?

Also, is it true hotels in Japan only opens up rooms 3 months in advance? All hotels I've seen are ridiculously expensive, and we want a regular hotel room if not airbnb.

How about taking your alternative day 4 where you travel to Tokyo, and breaking it up with Himeji? Kind of on the way back and will give you a break from the train with something to see. You'd probably still have Tokyo in the evening that day, plus the other two days in Tokyo?

Never looked at Nikko before - looks beautiful, will have to consider it for next time.

That's a good idea. I was planning to do half of that day to see more of Kyoto or Nara, but with time I think Himeji fits best here.

Last time I traveled to Tokyo I had 2 full days and was able to visit pretty much most major areas but only for like an hour each lol. I'll have to think which places to revisit more in-depth or go on a Nikko day trip for a day.

Not sure how old you'd be in 8th grade, but just a warning that while a lot of the museum relies on you reading and understanding what happened, there are also... let's say diagrams and sculptures of some things that are pretty hard to forget.

Your call, but just a warning :) For the record, I definitely recommend people visit the museum if they're in Hiroshima.

My sister has been learning about WW1 recently, and if she learns about WW2 early next year this trip would be a (somewhat) relevant and unforgettable experience. Maybe 3 hours is enough for the Peace Park, A-dome, and museum?

sfedai0

Banned
So just want to clarify before my trip in Jan. Pasmo works on all lines in Tokyo. How about Osaka and Kyoto? Will it also work on buses in Kyoto?

Also, is it true hotels in Japan only opens up rooms 3 months in advance? All hotels I've seen are ridiculously expensive, and we want a regular hotel room if not airbnb.

Last time I traveled to Tokyo I had 2 full days and was able to visit pretty much most major areas but only for like an hour each lol. I'll have to think which places to revisit more in-depth or go on a Nikko day trip for a day.

Nah. You're going during the sakura season so that's why everything is getting booked out already :p

Best time to book is about 5-6 months or so in advance IMO.

Well, your plan seems pretty hectic this time too as I said before :p

So just want to clarify before my trip in Jan. Pasmo works on all lines in Tokyo. How about Osaka and Kyoto? Will it also work on buses in Kyoto?

It will work on subways and trains in Osaka and buses and most trains in Kyoto as well. You'd most likely want to get bus passes to get around Kyoto though. A bus pass costs 500 JPY for a day while a single bus ride costs 230 JPY.

Bullza2o

I have no idea about this myself. I just know I booked via expedia for a trip End of Mar/Start of April and I did that a few months ago so that's quite some time in advance.

Nah. You're going during the sakura season so that's why everything is getting booked out already :p

Best time to book is about 5-6 months or so in advance IMO.

Well, your plan seems pretty hectic this time too as I said before :p.

Oh. The English jalan website says I can only see hotel reservations up to a maximum of three months from today. When I look at the Japanese jalan I only see a couple of available hotels.

Anyways I just finished my accomodations. I am staying at airbnb in Shin-osaka and Tokyo, and one night in the middle of Kyoto at a hotel. So I updated my itinerary:

Day 1: Kyoto half day + night, Shin-osaka
Day 2: Hiroshima + Miyajima
Day 3: store baggage at shin-oskaa station and go to Himeji for a couple of hours and stay in Kyoto the rest of the day/night.
Day 4: kyoto then Tokyo for the evening
Day 5-6: Tokyo (I'll have to think of where to go some other time but eating at Tsukiji is one of my priorities haha, also seeing Tokyo Tower up close and Ueno Park for more hanami)

This sounds doable and not as crazy stressful right? I feel like the crowd will impede our exploring pace in Kyoto. Maybe it would be a good idea to get a 2 day pass in Kyoto for bus and train during day 3 and 4?

Oh and where is the best okonomiyaki in Hiroshima?

Thanks!

Oh. The English jalan website says I can only see hotel reservations up to a maximum of three months from today. When I look at the Japanese jalan I only see a couple of available hotels.

Anyways I just finished my accomodations. I am staying at airbnb in Shin-osaka and Tokyo, and one night in the middle of Kyoto at a hotel. So I updated my itinerary:

This sounds doable and not as crazy stressful right? I feel like the crowd will impede our exploring pace in Kyoto. Maybe it would be a good idea to get a 2 day pass in Kyoto for bus and train during day 3 and 4?

That's just a limit on Jalan. Other booking sites got plenty of hotels up for 5-6 months in advance.

Well, you're still visiting 4 cities in 6 days, so that sounds plenty stressful to me, but it's your trip of course.

If you should get a train pass in Kyoto depends on what you're planning to see there.

Zoe

Does anybody know if Nagoya station has any counter luggage storage services?

I'm going to assume the lockers will be full.

Top Bottom