• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

cj_iwakura

I'm hoping to visit around Spring for the cherry blossoms, but Comiket is in the summer... maybe I should wait for that?

Travelocity said it was around $1200 for a week's hotel and the flight, which seems like something I should jump on soon.

I'm hoping to visit around Spring for the cherry blossoms, but Comiket is in the summer... maybe I should wait for that?

Travelocity said it was around $1200 for a week's hotel and the flight, which seems like something I should jump on soon.

Have fun with the heat and humidity. :p

Gritesh

Me and my wife are going to Japan March 16-31st

We are spending the first 4 nights in Tokyo, the Next 4 nights in Kyoto, then 2 nights in Miyajima and then back to Tokyo for the last 4 nights.

Does anyone have any recommendations for some really cool places to go visit, we have a few things we are planning on doing, we are both in our 30's and are looking for any recommendations from folks.

Found out last night that our connecting flight from Istanbul to Narita was cancelled, and no one told us about it. We have a rescheduled flight a day later, so I might have to waste a day of my holiday in an airport? Not happy, to say the least. Anyone had a similar situation?

On the phone to the travel agent now, been on hold for 20 minutes without speaking to anyone...

We fly on Friday :/

Edit: Managed to get a later flight from Heathrow to Istanbul, which saves us wasting a day in the airport. We just waste a day at home instead. RIP WonFes.

Damaged

Found out last night that our connecting flight from Istanbul to Narita was cancelled, and no one told us about it. We have a rescheduled flight a day later, so I might have to waste a day of my holiday in an airport? Not happy, to say the least. Anyone had a similar situation?

On the phone to the travel agent now, been on hold for 20 minutes without speaking to anyone...

We fly on Friday :/

Edit: Managed to get a later flight from Heathrow to Istanbul, which saves us wasting a day in the airport. We just waste a day at home instead. RIP WonFes.

Had similar on the way home once, missed out on a night I'd booked in a fancy hotel for the last night of my honeymoon. Air France didn't give a toss sadly.

Had similar on the way home once, missed out on a night I'd booked in a fancy hotel for the last night of my honeymoon. Air France didn't give a toss sadly.

Bummer :( That's been my experience too. Blame is being passed between Turkish Airlines and GoToGate and neither are interested in actually trying to fix the problem. We're there for plenty of time so it's not going to ruin the trip, but it's certainly ruined the build up :(

Zatoth

Me and my wife are going to Japan March 16-31st

We are spending the first 4 nights in Tokyo, the Next 4 nights in Kyoto, then 2 nights in Miyajima and then back to Tokyo for the last 4 nights.

Does anyone have any recommendations for some really cool places to go visit, we have a few things we are planning on doing, we are both in our 30's and are looking for any recommendations from folks.

If you are interested in hot springs you could go to Takaragawa. They have mixed baths, unlike most hot springs (I think).

If you want to go to themed restaurants I can recommend the Vampire Cafe (Tokyo), the Ninja Restaurant (Tokyo and there is also one in Kyoto) and the Lockup (Tokyo and Koyto).

openrob

Hi guys, hope you can help. Long story short, going to be in Tokyo in March. Staying with a friend but he works in the day so I would really like something to do during that time. Is there anything that people could recommend?

I have been before so have done quite a bit of touristy stuff. I speak enough to get around, but far, far from fluent. Thanks guys!

Akim

Banned
I just sold all of my expensive clothes to fund a trip. I think I'm going to do Japan.

How long in advance do you guys buy your plane tickets and book your accommodations?

Do you ever use AirBnB? I know it's semi-illegal in Japan, but it looks like there are a lot of good places to stay for cheap.

Also, does this budget look reasonable for moderate spending in 14 days for Tokyo/Kyoto?

Item Total Cost
Food @ $50/day 700
Hotel @ $50/day 700
Rail Pass (14 Days) 400
Airfare 900
Entertainment @ 50/day 700
Total 3400

Do you ever use AirBnB? I know it's semi-illegal in Japan, but it looks like there are a lot of good places to stay for cheap.

My wife and I used AirBNB for our last trip in 2014 and rented apartments in Osaka (Namba/DenDen area) and Tokyo (Sangenjaya). Really enjoyed the experience over hotels like we had done the previous two trips.

Your lodging might be more than $50 a day, but you can definitely do food for less than $50 a day.

How long in advance do you guys buy your plane tickets and book your accommodations?

Also, does this budget look reasonable for moderate spending in 14 days for Tokyo/Kyoto?

5-6 months for me, and yeah, I've used AirBnB.

Budget looks decent if you stay at AirBnB and hostels. Not sure why you want a 2 week Rail Pass though? If you're just gonna visit Tokyo and Kyoto?

Akim

Banned
My wife and I used AirBNB for our last trip in 2014 and rented apartments in Osaka (Namba/DenDen area) and Tokyo (Sangenjaya). Really enjoyed the experience over hotels like we had done the previous two trips.

Your lodging might be more than $50 a day, but you can definitely do food for less than $50 a day.

That's per person, so it's really 100 a day lodging. Good news about the food.

5-6 months for me, and yeah, I've used AirBnB.

Budget looks decent if you stay at AirBnB and hostels. Not sure why you want a 2 week Rail Pass though? If you're just gonna visit Tokyo and Kyoto?

Good point, thanks

Hey guys! I'm osaka now and tomorrow im going to universal studios then back to tokyo. Do you guys know if I could find a cheap iphone 6s compared to the app,e store in akihabara? Obviously sim free. My z3 compact has me tired of getting the shots like I am in a steamy bath-house.

maxcriden

Cross-posting from J-GAF thread:

Hey there J-GAF, hoping y'all can help me with a question about visiting your country. My wife and I are hoping to take a trip in about a year for three weeks or so. I've been studying Japanese pretty hard so I'm hoping to have some decent grasp of the language by then. In the meantime, I do have one concern. It's kind of a big one. My wife and I both get chronic migraines, and there are certain food triggers we have to avoid because they give us just absolutely awful migraines. Unfortunately, soy, including soy sauce and tofu and any form of soy, MSG, fish sauce, fermented foods like miso, dashi...those are some of the most significant migraine triggers.

Is it reasonable at all to be able to avoid these on vacation in Japan or is that going to be essentially impossible? (Ideally we would like to spend time in Tokyo, Fukuoka and Nara at the least.) Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer.

BTW, I have no intention of going to a restaurant and asking for anything to be modified. My Japanese isn't good enough for that yet and honestly more importantly that's something I would almost never do here in the US, let alone in Japan where my understanding is in would be seen as especially rude.

(Alternately, how doable is a situation where we'd get our own kitchen and just...cook...most meals...like an AirBnB type deal? Hmm...I really want to make this work but I don't want us to contend with (worse) migraines (or any at all).)

Bullza2o

Is Ginkakuji and the Philosopher's Path really a must see during the sakura season? I have around 2 days in Kyoto (from 8am on day 1 till around 4:30pm on day 2 then head to Tokyo). I was thinking of

Day 1
Fushimi Inari
Nishiki Market and Southern Higashiyama
Stay at コープイン京都
Day 2
Kinkakuji and Arashiyama
Or
Kinkakuji and Northern Higashiyama

With the JR pass it should be cheaper to Arashiyama but I will miss Ginkakuji and the path. I do hear there are cool sakura trees in Arashiyama.

Which one should I choose? Or maybe make a different plan for day 2?

Thanks in advance you guys are great trip advisors, especially Mike!

Hmmm, I'm gonna be back there from Mar 26th-Apr 5th. This trip is gonna be entirely Tokyo though. Hopefully they bloom a tiny bit early. =p
Sorry but I'm arriving on Apr 4th :p

Stuart444

So I've finally ordered my 7 day JRPass, the website I was using had some issues and created two (since I tried to order them twice when the first one failed) failed pending transactions until today where they finally cleared back into my bank and I was able to order them from the website today.

That and the Tokyo DisneySea tickets have been purchased :D.

Not long left, just a month and a half to go :D

With the JR pass it should be cheaper to Arashiyama but I will miss Ginkakuji and the path. I do hear there are cool sakura trees in Arashiyama.

It's not that much cheaper. If you take the bus to Ginkakuji it will be 500 JPY for a bus pass which you can use the whole day. To get to the JR line that goes to Arashiyama will at least cost 420 JPY if you take the subway which is not covered by the JR Pass.

If you're just going to Arashiyama for the bamboo groves, then you could check out the bamboo grove at Shorenin Temple instead.

Bullza2o

It's not that much cheaper. If you take the bus to Ginkakuji it will be 500 JPY for a bus pass which you can use the whole day. To get to the JR line that goes to Arashiyama will at least cost 420 JPY if you take the subway which is not covered by the JR Pass.

If you're just going to Arashiyama for the bamboo groves, then you could check out the bamboo grove at Shorenin Temple instead.

Wow I wasn't aware there are other bamboo groves! Thanks! This makes it a little easier now I don't have to go to Arashiyama. I just have to fit in Kinkakuji sometime.

I guess I will do Kinkakuji, ginkakuji, the path, nishiki market and pokemon center on day 2 until 4pm.

I just realized Kiyomizudera to Shorenin is a 37min walk, and Shorenin to my hotel is another 37min. If I repeat this route at night during the illuminations --that's a lot of walking!! :O

ZaCH3000

Hokkaido hotel reservations for the 19th - 21st close to Grand Hirafu, budget of $500 for two adults, don't mind a minor commute via train no farther than Otaru.

Anyone tru AirBnB?

Help please!

Hokkaido hotel reservations for the 19th - 21st close to Grand Hirafu, budget of $500 for two adults, don't mind a minor commute via train no farther than Otaru.

Anyone tru AirBnB?

Help please!

Airbnb is great. My friends and I are using three different spots during our trip.

Just filter for entire house and select one with good reviews.

sfedai0

Banned
I just got back and am planning to go back at end of year again. I need to finish Kyoto and explore more of southern Japan. But mostly, I will miss the food. I need that ramen ughhhh.

elhaym

Anyone tru AirBnB?

Help please!

I used AirBnB for my trip both in Tokyo and Kyoto and it worked out great. Echoing the "check reviews". Decide to take with grains of salt as needed (One place we stayed in Shibuya was what -I- considered an "easy" walk of about 10 minutes, but another reviewer felt it was not easy at all).

openrob

So decided on late March (hopefully can catch the Cherry Blossoms). Can people recommend good day trips from Tokyo aside from Hakone. I really just like to explore somewhere cool or unique?

And also any recommendations for stuff to do in Tokyo solo.

Anyone tru AirBnB?

Help please!

I used AirBnB last time I was in Japan, but I actually found it a bit cheaper for a hotel in Tokyo, but AirBnBd it in Kyoto/Osaka - so check it out in the area you are staying in. Although I will say that having a good host can really improve a trip. But by the time we reached Tokyo we just kind of wanted our own space.

Dandte

Anyone tru AirBnB?

Help please!

Did 6 Weeks of airbnb while i was in Japan. Tokyo(twice) Osaka, fukuoka, Nagoya, Nikko, Sapporo. All of them had a Great a Great variety of Apartments and all of them were Central. Totally Recommend it.

Our last option to get tickets for Studio Ghibli didn't work.
Has anyone contact with people in Japan who could buy it right at Lawsons?

Which month are you trying to get tickets for? Tickets for April will be up on March 10th.

There's only 4 time slots left in March for the dates you're there.

Stuart444

End of March is obviously quite appealing :p

Also related, these came yesterday:

CbA9XUpWwAAY613.jpg:orig

(ignore my old desk, instead of replacing it, I decided to go to Japan. I think I made the right choice :p )

Connecting trains, flight tickets and hotel booked for the entire trip now. Ghibli Museum tickets booked as well.

Anything else I need to get before arriving on the 6th of April? I'm assuming the subway chargeable card (Suica?) can be bought on location and a wifi dongle rented.

I've got a checklist of stuff to look for, but generally I'll try to spend on food and experiences rather than plastic :)

Top Bottom