• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

I think you can get it at every station. Definitely at Narita airport. Most likely at every airport. So that should be no problem.

I always used the Pasmo.

Speaking of which, I'm thinking that it might be worth it to grab a taxi from Narita to the hotel when we first arrive. After such a long flight I don't really feel up to dragging bags around the subway system. The hotel is in Kameido, Koto-ku. Will a taxi ride kill my budget?

Zatoth

Speaking of which, I'm thinking that it might be worth it to grab a taxi from Narita to the hotel when we first arrive. After such a long flight I don't really feel up to dragging bags around the subway system. The hotel is in Kameido, Koto-ku. Will a taxi ride kill my budget?

Not sure about it. But I'd assume it is pretty expensive.

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Tokyo-Narita-Airport-NRT/Kameido-eki

Don't know how accurate the data from that site is.

I think there is a service at the airport that will take your luggage to your hotel. No idea how expensive that is. But that may be an option.

elhaym

For what it's worth, the NEX to Shibuya for me was really easy on the way in, and even on the way out we had to make our way through via Tokyo Station w/ luggage during rush hour and it wasn't the impossible headache I was imagining. For that trip out we didn't pay for the NEX again but ended up on the Narita line because we stayed over night in Narita proper. THAT line was crowded, but manageable.

Not sure about it. But I'd assume it is pretty expensive.

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Tokyo-Narita-Airport-NRT/Kameido-eki

Don't know how accurate the data from that site is.

I think there is a service at the airport that will take your luggage to your hotel. No idea how expensive that is. But that may be an option.

Actually, we're flying to Haneda so it's a little cheaper. But I guess it would be stupid to pay 10x the price for a taxi. That said, there will be two of us and we'll see how lazy we feel when we get there.

That's a great site btw, gotta make sure to save a link on my phone.

cj_iwakura

Passport application's away. Hopefully I get it back in time to arrange at timely(and affordable) flight, when does cherry blossom season end?

Also, do I need a visa? I doubt it, but a friend said it's possible.

Passport application's away. Hopefully I get it back in time to arrange at timely(and affordable) flight, when does cherry blossom season end?

Also, do I need a visa? I doubt it, but a friend said it's possible.

Depends on where in Japan you're going. Better go in early April at the latest if you wanna catch the season in Tokyo though.

If you got an US passport and don't plan to stay for more than 90 days or work there, then you don't need a visa.

cj_iwakura

Depends on where in Japan you're going. Better go in early April at the latest if you wanna catch the season in Tokyo though.

If you got an US passport and don't plan to stay for more than 90 days or work there, then you don't need a visa.

Tokyo, I'm headed straight for Akihabara. :p

Hopefully it isn't too hard to get an eamuse pass. All about the Copula train.

elhaym

Tokyo, I'm headed straight for Akihabara. :p

Hopefully it isn't too hard to get an eamuse pass. All about the Copula train.

If you're looking for a generic grey e-amuse pass, there are machines in about every single arcade. I think that one of the ones in Akihabara had Disney TsumTsum ones available, and I know I picked up 3 Quiz Magic Academy ones in... Taito Station Shinjuku, I think?

Salamando

Is this site legit for Studio Ghibli Museum tickets? My trip is in September. Just want to plan ahead since I hear it's really hard to get.
https://www.govoyagin.com/activities/japan-tokyo-get-tickets-to-ghibli-museum-in-tokyo/186

Edit: With 500+ good reviews, I'm it'll be fine.

Legit, but way overpriced. You can get the tickets from http://online.jtbusa.com/Services/GhibliMuseum.aspx when they go up, and if you plan enough in advance you'll have no problem. It's only $14 per adult ticket + shipping, but if you also get a rail pass they'll ship both at the same time and ship free.

Stuart444

Is this site legit for Studio Ghibli Museum tickets? My trip is in September. Just want to plan ahead since I hear it's really hard to get.
https://www.govoyagin.com/activities/japan-tokyo-get-tickets-to-ghibli-museum-in-tokyo/186

Edit: With 500+ good reviews, I'm it'll be fine.

I hoping to get the FF Eorzea Cafe from that site, probably overpriced but at least I'll get them without worrying about the day I want being sold out (probably) since the only other way I see is ordering them a day or two before going to Japan and then getting them from Lawsons almost as soon as I get off the plane >.>

But yeah, I haven't seen any bad stuff on google so I assume the website as a whole is legit.

cj_iwakura

I feel like I'm going to need to map out which arcades I want to hit up, I'll probably be neck deep in them before long. I'd mostly be after niche stuff and rhythm games.

Stuart444

Arcades are going to be fun. Not played proper Arcade games since about 14 years or something ago. And that was at a bowling alley with like one or two games. (one of them being house of the dead or something I think. A gun game of some sort anyway)

srst

Legit, but way overpriced. You can get the tickets from http://online.jtbusa.com/Services/GhibliMuseum.aspx when they go up, and if you plan enough in advance you'll have no problem. It's only $14 per adult ticket + shipping, but if you also get a rail pass they'll ship both at the same time and ship free.

I didn't know the admission was that little. lol Thanks for the link! I'll be sure to keep my eye on it. Now I hope my wallet can survive through the gift shop. :p

Bullza2o

There's one at Kodaiji Temple as well. That's the one I visited. They're probably smaller than the one in Arashiyama though.

I read that the park by Togetsukyo bridge is really nice though, so maybe I should check Arashiyama out a bit.

Would this all fit in one day? Coming from Osaka Airbnb to Kyoto Hotel.
- 7 or 8am = coin locker or delivery service for luggage then Fushimi Inari (walk just enough to avoid crowds and take nice pictures)
- 10:30am = Kinkakuji (should be a quick stroll)
- 12:30pm = Bamboo Groves, Togetsukyo, lunch
- 3ish pm = Check in コープイン京都
- 4pm = dinner somewhere near Nishiki Market area
- 5:30pm = head out to or arrive at Kiyomizudera for night illumination (prepare for massive crowds and wait times)
- 8pm to whenever = Walk to Yasaka Shrine, Maruyama Park, Gion, then back to hotel.

Day 2
- 8 or 9am = Kyomizudera
- 10am to 4pm = Southern Higashiyama walk, Ginkakuji (+ walk a little of the Philosopher's Path then take the bus to hotel), Pokemon Center Kyoto, Nishiki Market
- 5:30ish pm = Train to Tokyo

Fitting places in Kyoto is pretty challenging...

End of March is obviously quite appealing :p

Also related, these came yesterday:

(ignore my old desk, instead of replacing it, I decided to go to Japan. I think I made the right choice :p )

Wow your vouchers look better than mine! Mine came recently (JTB) and all that came inside a FedEx package was a basic envelope with some bland black and white info paper stapled on top of the voucher. There is a small booklet with a map and exchange locations though, but it's still not as nice as yours!

Well, you're gonna have 15-30 minutes in each place and you'll spend more time riding trains/buses than actually doing stuff, but it might be doable. Who are you travelling with? Will they be able to mostly walk and stand for 16 hours+ without needing any breaks?

Bullza2o

Well, you're gonna have 15-30 minutes in each place and you'll spend more time riding trains/buses than actually doing stuff, but it might be doable. Who are you travelling with? Will they be able to mostly walk and stand for 16 hours+ without needing any breaks?

My sister who's in 8th grade and my parents who are in their early 50s. Hmm I guess I need to give more leeway to my timeframe spent at each place. Maybe if I cut Arashiyama and just go to Fushimi Inari, Kinkakuji, and lunch wherever we find food before we check in at 2-3pm; then we can rest up, dinner near Nishiki Market, and head down to Kiyomizudera then Yasaka/Maruyama/Gion for the night. This should be more manageable, no? I'd like to spend at least 1 hour in each place.

Should I skip Philospher's Path and Ginkakuji on day 2 and focus on a rerun of S. Higashiyama during the day, or is Philosopher's Path really a must see during the Sakura season? By this time we would have seen Sakura at Himeji, Kiyomizudera, and Maruyama.

Darksol

Should I skip Philospher's Path and Ginkakuji on day 2 and focus on a rerun of S. Higashiyama during the day, or is Philosopher's Path really a must see during the Sakura season? By this time we would have seen Sakura at Himeji, Kiyomizudera, and Maruyama.

I did both of those last fall and loved it. There's not a whole lot to do on the Philosopher's Path other than some vendors towards the end, but it really is a lovely, scenic walk and it's rarely packed with tourists.

leroidys

I read that the park by Togetsukyo bridge is really nice though, so maybe I should check Arashiyama out a bit.

- 7 or 8am = coin locker or delivery service for luggage then Fushimi Inari (walk just enough to avoid crowds and take nice pictures)
- 10:30am = Kinkakuji (should be a quick stroll)
- 12:30pm = Bamboo Groves, Togetsukyo, lunch
- 3ish pm = Check in コープイン京都
- 4pm = dinner somewhere near Nishiki Market area
- 5:30pm = head out to or arrive at Kiyomizudera for night illumination (prepare for massive crowds and wait times)
- 8pm to whenever = Walk to Yasaka Shrine, Maruyama Park, Gion, then back to hotel.

Day 2
- 8 or 9am = Kyomizudera
- 10am to 4pm = Southern Higashiyama walk, Ginkakuji (+ walk a little of the Philosopher's Path then take the bus to hotel), Pokemon Center Kyoto, Nishiki Market
- 5:30ish pm = Train to Tokyo

Fitting places in Kyoto is pretty challenging...

Wow your vouchers look better than mine! Mine came recently (JTB) and all that came inside a FedEx package was a basic envelope with some bland black and white info paper stapled on top of the voucher. There is a small booklet with a map and exchange locations though, but it's still not as nice as yours!

The cool part about Fushimi Inari is all the mountain trails around it. Just walking through the gates isn't that interesting IMHO, and the place is always packed with tourists. Probably not in the early morning though. Getting to and from Kinkakuji is a bit of a pain as you pretty much have to take a bus. Expect to spend an hour traveling between Fushimi Inari and Kinkakuji, and then at least another hour from Kinkakuji to Arashiyama.

I wouldn't necessarily say to skip the golden pavilion, but honestly it wasn't one of the highlights of my trip to Kyoto. You can't go inside any of the buildings on the grounds, and it's usually absolutely slammed with tourists. Also, the namesake temple is a reconstruction from the 50s after it was burned down.

Other places you might want to take a look at are Heian Shrine and the art museums on the grounds or Nanzen-ji (you'll be near by all of these on Higashiyama) or Nijo Castle (kind of on the way to Kinkakuji).

Be sure to eat a lot. I found the food in Kyoto especially fantastic :)

My sister who's in 8th grade and my parents who are in their early 50s. Hmm I guess I need to give more leeway to my timeframe spent at each place. Maybe if I cut Arashiyama and just go to Fushimi Inari, Kinkakuji, and lunch wherever we find food before we check in at 2-3pm; then we can rest up, dinner near Nishiki Market, and head down to Kiyomizudera then Yasaka/Maruyama/Gion for the night. This should be more manageable, no? I'd like to spend at least 1 hour in each place.

If I were you I'd rather plan in all the places I want to see in eastern Kyoto on the first day, so Fushimi Inari->Kyomizudera (Do you really need to visit both in the day and at night?)->Pokemon Center->Nishiki Market/Hotel->Ginkakuji->Philosopher's Path->Kiyomizudera->Gion

And then do whatever you didn't have time for on the first day->Kinkakuji->Arashiyama (if enought time) on the second day.

Bullza2o

Thanks a lot everyone for your input!

I did both of those last fall and loved it. There's not a whole lot to do on the Philosopher's Path other than some vendors towards the end, but it really is a lovely, scenic walk and it's rarely packed with tourists.
Around how long is the walk roughly? The walking guide I read says 50 minutes. If I do this I will just enter Ginkakuji and maybe Nanzenji and/or Heian Shrine.

The cool part about Fushimi Inari is all the mountain trails around it. Expect to spend an hour traveling between Fushimi Inari and Kinkakuji, and then at least another hour from Kinkakuji to Arashiyama.

I wouldn't necessarily say to skip the golden pavilion, but honestly it wasn't one of the highlights of my trip to Kyoto.

Be sure to eat a lot. I found the food in Kyoto especially fantastic :)

Ouch, an hour is a lot of time. I guess Kinkakuji and Arashiyama should be on a separate day. How long should I spend at Fushimi Inari? I have read it takes around 45 minutes to hike up to some intersection and be able to see the city below. I think that's a good turning point, right?

As for Kinkakuji I was considering dropping it but my parents want to see it because it's made of gold...Heian Shrine looks great during sakura season.

Himeji is my plan for day (more like afternoon + evening) 1, so I think I can skip Nijojo.

FOOD! Oh man I haven't planned out where to eat yet! But I do hear Ippudo is good for ramen and there's a popular tempura place near Teramachi. Oh and Otsuka in Arashiyama. I'm open for more recommendations! :)

If I were you I'd rather plan in all the places I want to see in eastern Kyoto on the first day, so Fushimi Inari->Kyomizudera (Do you really need to visit both in the day and at night?)->Pokemon Center->Nishiki Market/Hotel->Ginkakuji->Philosopher's Path->Kiyomizudera->Gion

And then do whatever you didn't have time for on the first day->Kinkakuji->Arashiyama (if enought time) on the second day.
This looks like a good plan! I think i should skip Yasaka Shrine and Maruyama Park area during the day and just visit them at night. I'll definitely see Ninenzaka and Sannenzaka though.

I know I at least want to see Kiyomizudera during the day, but I have read it is spectacular and unique at night. Plus it's one of those special night illuminations.
The bus pass should come handy to lessen the walk and expedite the trip to the different temples.

Darksol

Around how long is the walk roughly? The walking guide I read says 50 minutes. If I do this I will just enter Ginkakuji and maybe Nanzenji and/or Heian Shrine.

50 minutes sounds about right. I took a couple of hours, but I was walking at a very leisurely pace and stopped for tea.

I didn't visit Heian Shrine but Nanzen-ji was lovely.

I know I at least want to see Kiyomizudera during the day, but I have read it is spectacular and unique at night. Plus it's one of those special night illuminations.
The bus pass should come handy to lessen the walk and expedite the trip to the different temples.

If you're already visiting Ginkakuji, Philosopher's Path, Gion, Yasaka Shrine and Maruyama Park after checking in at the hotel I don't think you'll have enough time to visit Kiyomizudera twice :p

Remember that there's lots of traffic, so you'll (most likely) stand in a bus with stop-and-go traffic which can get just as tiresome as walking.

Looks like some of the Tokyo Metro discount tickets will be changed on March 26th:
http://www.tokyometro.jp/news/2016/808.html
http://www.tokyometro.jp/news/2016/809.html

The Tokyo Metro 1-Day Open Ticket and Tokyo Subway (Tokyo Metro+Toei Subway) Tickets will be changed from 1 day tickets to 24/48/72 hour period tickets at the same price.

Means that it'll be a slightly better deal. If you start using a 24 hour one at noon then it'll be valid till noon the next day. Previously it would stop working at midnight the same day.

Bullza2o

I was reading through Japan-Guide's Cherry Blossoms blog for 2015 and full bloom in Kyoto was on Apr 1, and petals were falling by Apr 6. I guess my Kyoto itinerary will depend on where the full bloom sakuras are on Apr 6 and 7... and I might not even finalize it until a couple days before! :(

What is Kyoto's best food, by the way?

50 minutes sounds about right. I took a couple of hours, but I was walking at a very leisurely pace and stopped for tea.

I didn't visit Heian Shrine but Nanzen-ji was lovely.

Heian Shrine looks like a good place to view late blooming sakura trees, but it kinda looks like Itsukushima in Miyajima. I'll check out what's in Nanzenji and maybe I'll tour it!

If you're already visiting Ginkakuji, Philosopher's Path, Gion, Yasaka Shrine and Maruyama Park after checking in at the hotel I don't think you'll have enough time to visit Kiyomizudera twice :p

Remember that there's lots of traffic, so you'll (most likely) stand in a bus with stop-and-go traffic which can get just as tiresome as walking.

I just found out Ninenzaka and Sannenzaka are still lighted up at night --and I expect a lot of people still walking around that area. I thought they literally close the streets at night haha.
With this in mind, I can just do the S. Higashiyama walk at night.

Jumped on a 575$ round trip ticket to Tokyo from Miami. Can't fucking believe it. I've always wanted to go since I was a kid...

Now I don't know what I'm gonna do for 2 weeks

AHH recommendations please. Just the most otaku shit

Zoe

Jumped on a 575$ round trip ticket to Tokyo from Miami. Can't fucking believe it. I've always wanted to go since I was a kid...

Which airline and when?

The fu? I see those prices from O'Hare, but they're almost always Chinese carriers with like 14 hour layovers.

edit - OH GOD SOMETHING IS WRONG. NONSTOP FLIGHTS FROM OHARE TO TOKYO FOR $450. UNITED AIRLINES IN MAY. DECISIONS NEED TO BE MADE

edit 2 - I just impulse bought a ticket to Japan. May 10th, non-stop from O'Hare to Narita on ANA. When you factor in my credit card points, I spent $75.

Bullza2o

The fu? I see those prices from O'Hare, but they're almost always Chinese carriers with like 14 hour layovers.

edit - OH GOD SOMETHING IS WRONG. NONSTOP FLIGHTS FROM OHARE TO TOKYO FOR $450. UNITED AIRLINES IN MAY. DECISIONS NEED TO BE MADE

edit 2 - I just impulse bought a ticket to Japan. May 10th, non-stop from O'Hare to Narita on ANA. When you factor in my credit card points, I spent $75.

WHOA I'M SO JEALOUS!!! And right now I'm feeling so sad I should have waited for something like this...I paid $1K each (x4) for our tickets, and it's not even nonstop (Asiana). Right now ORD-KIX tickets are $1.3K for Asiana. It is a bit risky waiting though...
I'm looking to see if I can somehow get a refund and jump in this current deal, but I can't find any answers online.
*cries to sleep*

crispyben

Hi, my wife and I will spend two weeks in Japan in late March-early April, and the only accommodation we haven't booked is the hotel at Narita airport for the last night before we fly back home. Any recommendations or warning regarding the hotels there (shuttles, etc.)? Thanks.

The prices are still low today. But from what I saw you're only going to get that price between March and May (I bought for May 10th which looked like last day before prices jumped back up to the $1400+ range).

Delta I'd guess:
http://www.theflightdeal.com/2016/0...ia-tokyo-japan-roundtrip-including-all-taxes/

United also slashed some of their prices to match Delta.

Haneda announced their opening new daytime arrival slots to US carriers. Since Delta uses Narita as their Asian hub they made a statement on how this would make Delta less competitive. Guess this triggered a bit of a price war. And since ANA codeshares with United, you can get ANA flights for dirt cheap as well.

Bullza2o

I talked to my travel agent and found out this deal is only through today. I was able to get tickets for $782 each nonstop Apr 02-10 after refund fees, still better than $1,010. Now I get 7 days of sightseeing instead of 5.5!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone have any kyoto cherry blossom itineraries? Is there an actual festival or just the whole town goes crazy? I can go whenever, if May is supposedly better.

Bullza2o

Travel agents are still a thing?

Yes. I showed them the promo prices and they were able to give me a slight discount on top :)
Anyone have any kyoto cherry blossom itineraries? Is there an actual festival or just the whole town goes crazy? I can go whenever, if May is supposedly better.

See my posts above questioning people here how to make a 2-day itinerary in Kyoto during sakura season. I hope your itinerary is longer! Haha

Yeah, I've been skimming around The Fare Deal forever and jumped at the chance.

We're in Japan for 12 days. We fly into Tokyo but we're not sure exactly what we want to do.

Shibuya, Akihabara obviously. Recommendations for shops for manga, videogames, and odd gadgets (I have a fetish for Sony electronics).

But we were also thinking of maybe taking a trip to Kyoto or maybe Osaka. Sine Tokyo is so busy we thought that maybe going somewhere more rurual might be nice...

Good or bad idea?

Stuart444

We're in Japan for 12 days. We fly into Tokyo but we're not sure exactly what we want to do.

Shibuya, Akihabara obviously. Recommendations for shops for manga, videogames, and odd gadgets (I have a fetish for Sony electronics).

Go to Nakano Broadway. It's similar to Akihabara with shops for manga and games so you'll enjoy it I'm sure :)

3069_01.jpg

But we were also thinking of maybe taking a trip to Kyoto or maybe Osaka. Sine Tokyo is so busy we thought that maybe going somewhere more rurual might be nice...

Good or bad idea?

Mike can probably tell you where it is, but we went to a Sony showroom that just had all sorts of Sony electronics you could check out.

Bullza2o

Last time I went to Japan I checked out a Sony store in Ginza, and it had a lot of floors with each one dedicated to a specific type of electronics. It was pretty cool but I didn't have any money to buy high price items haha. They did have a michael jackson special at the store.

And Kyoto isn't really rural. Kamakura or Nikko would better fit the description I think.

EDIT: Has anyone read the news recently about Airbnb in Japan? Looks like Ota, Tokyo and the whole Osaka city will be enforcing the new 7 day stay rule soon (Osaka in April).

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-18/fastest-growing-airbnb-market-under-threat-as-japan-cracks-down
Because my Airbnb is scheduled on April for 2 nights (what perfect timing), I had to reserve a hotel in Kobe as backup. This kinda sucks but Osaka/Kyoto hotels/hostels are now too expensive!

I have Airbnb for 3 nights in Tokyo (near the station), and I really hope it doesn't get affected.

Good or bad idea?

What kind of rural are you looking for? Places without much tourists or places without much people at all? Kyoto and Osaka is neither of those :p

Mike can probably tell you where it is, but we went to a Sony showroom that just had all sorts of Sony electronics you could check out.

It's the one in Ginza:
http://www.sonybuilding.jp/sp/e/

Hi, my wife and I will spend two weeks in Japan in late March-early April, and the only accommodation we haven't booked is the hotel at Narita airport for the last night before we fly back home. Any recommendations or warning regarding the hotels there (shuttles, etc.)? Thanks.

Don't drink shochu all night before your flight at karaoke because the shuttle bus is not a fun place to be while extremely hung over.

If anyone wants to take a trip to southern Japan or to see Sakurajima, its starting to go off again regularly. Getting some nice pictures erupting after living here 5 months.

sJsHf8N.png

Nice to see relatively safe. (Still a freaking volcano so not 100% safe haha)

fake edit: just realized this is a picture the local news station took but I saved it because I'm in it haha (lower right, green tracksuit)

Top Bottom