• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese newspaper rumor: redesigned Vita unveiling just before TGS

Derrick01

Banned
This is nice and everything but it doesn't solve the massive game problem the system has. I still haven't bought a single 2013 Vita game yet and we're 8.5 months into the year. Hell the only "major" release I can think of at all has been Soul Sacrifice. That's really sad.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't making a (presumably) more exotic, more expensive handheld, like, the opposite of what Vita needs?

A cheaper screen and a die shrink could make a bigger Vita cheaper than the original.

As long as the screen is increasing due to smaller bezels, and they're not actually making the device bigger.

Hope for this for Gamescom though, my birthday is the 6th of Sep and my GF is planning on rebuying me a Vita (had one at launch, then sold it).

Use the Go form factor, maybe? Would be a bit thicker and taller, but less wide.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
As long as the screen is increasing due to smaller bezels, and they're not actually making the device bigger.

Hope for this for Gamescom though, my birthday is the 6th of Sep and my GF is planning on rebuying me a Vita (had one at launch, then sold it).
It's a handheld, not a tablet. The bezels are the controls.

Russell

I can't believe there are people here who are hoping Sony replaces the OLED display with a screen technology that has worse picture quality, worse contrast ratio and worse black level.

Disgusting.

Hell the only "major" release I can think of at all has been Soul Sacrifice. That's really sad.

And even that dissappeared from the charts quickly.

A redesign makes sense if it is to reduce the cost. Making a larger screen wouldn't adhere to this, unless they switch to S-LCD or something.

Ty4on

Edit: ^^^^^^^: I doubt AMOLED is much more expensive than LCD. Samsung and Nokia are both making phones that are competitive on price with AMOLED screens.

Doubt the device would grow that much. The Vita is much bigger than phones with five inch screens and has a lot of space around the screen.
ps_vita_beauty.png

The increased RAM sounds great by me. I hate how I can't run a game and facebook/video/different game at the same time and how the web browser struggles for RAM all the time. Hoping for a bigger battery, smaller production node (lower power consumption) and some internal memory and possibly make this device take over the old Vita's price point and push the price down for the old Vita.

This is kind of a cool idea. The Vita is already too big for a regular pocket and the screen is a bit small, but without Android I don't know if there's a market for it.

Jawmuncher

I can't believe there are people here who are hoping Sony replaces the OLED display with a screen technology that has worse picture quality, worse contrast ratio and worse black level.

Disgusting.

Agreed.
OLEDs the sexiest thing about the vita.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Disgusting.

I'm not sure anybody is hoping for something worse, rather than thinking Sony could be implementing a worse screen in order to reduce costs, allowing them to sell it for less, and hopefully pick up some sales.

Honestly, not using a worse screen doesn't really fit with this rumor. Making the Vita more expensive really is the last thing Sony needs to do.

Ty4on

Disgusting.

LCD isn't automatically worse. It is less reflective, uses less power, colors are less saturated and the pixels are square so white usually looks better. The Vita's AMOLED is really good, but there are people who prefer LCD over AMOLED (go to minute 29 here) and in sunlight even the blacks are better on LCD.

It is.

Sony may not understand "the market", but at least they understand which screen technologies are suited to gaming.

So I guess you have a CRT monitor for your PC or you spent $6000 on one of Sony's pro-grade OLED monitors...

LCD is "good enough".

SirNinja

The Vita doesn't need a redesign, IMO; it's quite a nice-looking handheld.

The price of those memory cards need to be at least halved, though.

SmokyDave

Disgusting.
Don't worry about it man. Buy one of the early models. Anything that potentially expands the userbase is a good thing.

turnbuckle

Hoping the larger screen makes the overall device large enough to put in a substantially better battery and clickable analogs and triggers. Would be the ultimate portable and companion to the PS4. Extra bonus points if it has HDMI out.

I am not too proud to admit I would double dip if they had a second model anything like what I just described. If it's just a larger screen, well, that's cool but not something I'm interested in.

Cha

This rumour sounds fishy to me. I'd honestly be very surprised if this is true, as a bigger screen and more ram just seems unnecessary to me. It would be more believable if the rumor was about a 4G model with some built-in storage. Personally, all I want is Video-out somewhere down the line (hardware revision or accessory).

entremet

This is nice and everything but it doesn't solve the massive game problem the system has. I still haven't bought a single 2013 Vita game yet and we're 8.5 months into the year. Hell the only "major" release I can think of at all has been Soul Sacrifice. That's really sad.

Killzone is coming.

No love for the indies?

Hm, should I trade in my Vita now before it get's a price cut? Otherwise, a new Vita without one of its greatest raison d'etre (the OLED) is personally for me a no go.

But a Vita with Android (can't see it happening) would be great. Especially if it supports SD and has a HDMI-out.

sub_o

I think what Vita really needs right now is the drop of price for the 32GB memory, and maybe a Demon's Soul sequel

Derrick01

Banned
Killzone is coming.

No love for the indies?

I don't play indie games usually. But even if I did there's an extremely strong chance they're on Steam and PS3 first.

As for Killzone I'll play it eventually but Sony made that game redundant. Why should I look forward to it when it has a better looking, controlling, and better running big brother coming in another couple of months? I should also add that it will have a better online component and it has bigger single player maps with open objectives too. There's virtually no reason for me to buy the Vita game other than to marvel at handheld graphics.

So a tablet? If its a android hybrid tablet i will buy another . I need an android tablet for some time already , imagine the emulator!

holy i just realized that the possibility of playing DS games using the vita drools....

Do not really think Sony will do this but please make a vita / android hybrid tablet!

Massa

I don't play indie games usually. But even if I did there's an extremely strong chance they're on Steam and PS3 first.

As for Killzone I'll play it eventually but Sony made that game redundant. Why should I look forward to it when it has a better looking, controlling, and better running big brother coming in another couple of months? I should also add that it will have a better online component and it has bigger single player maps with open objectives too. There's virtually no reason for me to buy the Vita game other than to marvel at handheld graphics.

This makes no sense. Killzone is a unique game on Vita, with different missions and such. If a similar game existing on consoles stops you from playing it, then surely you never played Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, LBP or the many other console games that got an exclusive entry on Vita?

DaBoss

So will this come with a price cut? Also how is the DPI? Wouldn't lose jut a bit of crispness due to only increasing the screen size? It seems really big and may hamper portability.

Tearaway

Looks like it will be really good.

Curufinwe

Muramasa will be my first this year and second overall.

All the other Vita games I've played (AC3 Liberation, Uncharted GA, Wipeout 2048, Gravity Rush and VLR) came free with the system or via PS+.

Derrick01

Banned
This makes no sense. Killzone is a unique game on Vita, with different missions and such. If a similar game existing on consoles stops you from playing it, then surely you never played Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, LBP or the many other console games that got an exclusive entry on Vita?

But Killzone is just a shooter, no one cares about the unique story or levels it will have. I may as well play the best shooter I can get and it'll be the one that has clickable sticks and better shoulder buttons (as well as triggers). The semi-open levels will be a nice change of pace too.

I see your point though and some of those games are worse than most of their console counterparts for various tech related reasons. That's the disadvantage of making console type games on a handheld that aren't new IPs, they get compared.

Tearaway

Looks like it will be really good.

That remains to be seen. It looks like a small game that focuses on every annoying gimmick the Vita has. Games that utilize Vita gimmicks have a shaky record so far. I had to fight the urge to throw my Vita during some of the ones in Uncharted and Assassin's Creed.

That big at the same resolution......ew...

They really are going to turn this thing into a ps4 streaming device. Well it better work perfectly, not that many people will spend 200 bucks on a streaming device even if it did.

Kamion

Well, I myself bought at least 8 Vita games this year. More if you include some from last year I did get later. So let's say 10.
And they're all pretty good games. Sure, a few are either on other systems too, or enhanced ports, but I don't mind, they look better and play better.

On topic though: I don't really see any sense in making this. I'd love a redesign that's slimmer, lighter and has video-out, but I don't really need a bigger screen. 5" is plenty. The Vita is humongous as it is.

entremet

That big at the same resolution......ew...

They really are going to turn this thing into a ps4 streaming device. Well it better work perfectly, not that many people will spend 200 bucks on a streaming device even if it did.

You're severly overstating PPI here. It will still look great.

Remember some people want to play on their HDTVs. I would imagine that would look way worse.

Oppo

Hoping the larger screen makes the overall device large enough to put in a substantially better battery and clickable analogs and triggers.

Why do people keep saying "clickable analog sticks"? Don't you realize how problematic that would be for a portable?

For me, all I want is that HDMI out.

You're severly overstating PPI here. It will still look great.

Remember some people want to play on their HDTVs. I would imagine that would look way worse.

Well sure, i can still deal with the horrendous 3ds res so its not like that would be the dealbreaker

If anything i wan a smaller vita not a bigger one

There is no way to get vita smaller. I still think they might as well go the full way and do 7 inches mini tablet style as a streaming and indie household player because that's all it will be outside japan next year anyway.

Tobor

If they are really doing this they should add two more shoulder buttons and clickable analog sticks. Give us 1 to 1 PS4 controls for remote play.

And to anyone who says that will fracture the market, I say: What market?

This rumor just sounds... too out there. I don't know, it totally could be true I guess (look at the 3DS XL!) but enlarging the screen (significantly) and doubling the memory? Sounds like a fan's pipe dream, and not in any way the changes vita needs to be successful.

If they're making it that much more expensive and less portable, they are pretty much playing towards their weaknesses.

I don't know. I hope it's true, but I just don't see it.

KLonso

But it still doesn't have any games that I want.
You must be very picky...

I know it's not the same for everybody, but for me personally, the vita has more games that interest me than any other handheld I've owned before, (except maybe GBA)

shouldn't they make a Vita micro? Imagine the godly sharpness of a smaller Vita Oled screen, something like the PSPgo. The PSPgo also looked godly compared to the normal PSP. Shame about the crampy controls...

Joni

shouldn't they make a Vita micro? Imagine the godly sharpness of a smaller Vita Oled screen, something like the PSPgo. The PSPgo also looked godly compared to the normal PSP. Shame about the crampy controls...
Bigger screens are "in" right now. Just look at the Galaxy 4, the HTC One and the XPeria Z. It is kinda crazy to think my Vita and Z have the same size screen.

Top Bottom