• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
i reaaaaally really hope nippon yasan ships fast this time.

i only bought a game there. anyone every bought a console? how is the packaging for consoles?

Zornica

Banned
Went to my local videogames store and was surprised to see a demo unit for the New3DS, I recorded some video of it.

http://youtu.be/iH9s1lhkzmY

woot? they had a "normal sized" n3ds? I only came across LLs... But I'd rather try a non-LL too...
also, that demo unit had different games to pick from? the ones from yodobashi camera seemingly only came with smash :7 or maybe I missed the "change game" button somehow

As you may know, the New Nintendo 3DS officially supports SD(HC) cards only up to 32GB of size. When asked, if SDXC cards (64GB and up) work, they straight up say "No.", which can be found in their Q&A here:

bildschirmfoto2014-1063u22.png

A while back I promised to let you guys know how a 64GB microSDXC will work out with the New Nintendo 3DS. Well, while the system itself obviously isn't out yet, the card has been delivered today. For those interested in the card, it's this one right here.

Like every other SDXC card, the file system is exFAT by default, which won't be read by the Nintendo 3DS. After formatting it to FAT32 (using simply the disk utilty on my Mac) I checked out if it will show up with it's full size on my Nintendo 3DS. Here is the result:

img_92732vsmc.jpg

So, 483395 blocks equal to a rough 62GB of size. Basically, 1 block equals 128 kb.. you get the idea.

While SD cards are not supported as data storages on Wii U (as in downloading your games from the eShop right on to them), they are supported as data storages on Wii U while being in Wii mode. So I popped the card in, booted up my Wii U and checked the system data storage settings in Wii mode. Here is the result:

img_9274l5svd.jpg

Same result, same size - it works fine.

So here is my wild guess. I believe Nintendo just don't want to pay for Microsoft's proprietary and patented exFAT file system license costs. Of course, there is still this slight chance that even a SDXC card reformatted with FAT32 wouldn't work, but I highly doubt it. But then again, it's Nintendo, so you never know.

As for now, all is good. Let's see how things turn out next Saturday morning, after I picked up my N3DS.

Zornica

Banned
would you even be able to fill a card like that? from what I remember, the 3ds OS can only handle about 200 applications and 1000 mp3s

besides curiosity, is there any point in going for a 64+gb card compared to say a standards sdhc 32gb one?

would you even be able to fill a card like that? from what I remember, the 3ds OS can only handle about 200 applications and 1000 mp3s

besides curiosity, is there any point in going for a 64+gb card compared to say a standards sdhc 32gb one?
My 32GB card is almost full and will be full as soon as Monster Hunter 4G is downloaded. I don't have any demos installed, so it's either deleting games or going bigger. I like my stuff in one place, so I went for the 64GB card, which will be enough I guess. Also, those 200 apps are not a problem, it's actually the size of some games.

Impotaku

My copies of kobito turned up, those covers (shudder) along with fantasy life link & the guidebook, damn that thing is chunky at 500+ pages.
SAM_1166%20res.jpg

So PlayAsia has my order status for my New 3DS LL as "Preparing Order" as of last night. Anyone else's order in a similar state of preparation? What would be the guesstimation as to when our orders will actually ship?

StayDead

So PlayAsia has my order status for my New 3DS LL as "Preparing Order" as of last night. Anyone else's order in a similar state of preparation? What would be the guesstimation as to when our orders will actually ship?

They sent me an email saying mine would be shipping on the 10th.

A99qRil.png

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting pretty hype to get my New 3DS! I just impulse ordered E.X. Troopers and Gaist Crusher. Under $40 shipped for both!

CANLI

Hello, just updated my jap 3ds (firmware 9.0.0.20). After the update, I click on the high left button but I can't see the theme menu I want to change the theme but can't do it (though the design has changed).

Hello, just updated my jap 3ds (firmware 9.0.0.20). After the update, I click on the high left button but I can't see the theme menu I want to change the theme but can't do it (though the design has changed).

Japan didn't get theme update in 9.0.0, wait a few more days.

kubus

Just a few more days until the New 3DS releases in Japan! The hype is real!

Fingers crossed Nippon-Yasan ships them out to everyone fast, but for the price I paid, I can't really complain if it takes 3 working days again.

Impotaku

Could you show us some pages of Fantasy Life guide in its thread, please ? *_*

Sure :)

The guide is extremely detailed it lists every single bit of info you'd need, the maps are really useful as is the crafting charts and monster info about what items they drop. Sadly the kanji doesn't have furigana above it so i struggle a bit when reading but i'm still able to use it to some extent. Nowdays i only ever buy guides for certain special games, this was one of them. Dotted in between the sections is some lovely artwork too, Japan makes the best guidebooks for their games.

SAM_1167%20res.jpg

SAM_1168%20res.jpg

SAM_1170%20res.jpg

SAM_1171%20res.jpg

SAM_1172%20res.jpg

SAM_1173%20res.jpg

SAM_1174%20res.jpg

SAM_1175%20res.jpg

Zornica

Banned
Sure :)

The guide is extremely detailed it lists every single bit of info you'd need, the maps are really useful as is the crafting charts and monster info about what items they drop. Sadly the kanji doesn't have furigana above it so i struggle a bit when reading but i'm still able to use it to some extent. Nowdays i only ever buy guides for certain special games, this was one of them. Dotted in between the sections is some lovely artwork too, Japan makes the best guidebooks for their games.

I guess I need to order one of these. together with a Japanese (or European?) copy of the game. they are not compatible, right?

Impotaku

The guide was only written for the first game i have looked through & can find no mention of the link stuff as that came out after the gude was released there are only 2 game guides in Japan for this and this is the most complete book. Will have to figure out the link content on my own.

The book is useful but depending on the persons Japanese reading level you'll either get loads out of it or just end up with a book where you just look at the pics and maps.

Shurayuki

The guide was only written for the first game i have looked through & can find no mention of the link stuff as that came out after the gude was released there are only 2 game guides in Japan for this and this is the most complete book. Will have to figure out the link content on my own.

The book is useful but depending on the persons Japanese reading level you'll either get loads out of it or just end up with a book where you just look at the pics and maps.

It's just amazing how much work goes into these, all the data and details. The people who compile all that information probably know more about the game at the end than the developers.

Reminds me of the GCCX story where Arino visited the guys who wrote the guide for Beat Takeshis Chousenjou and it allegedly took so much out of the writer that he died shortly after completing the guide :eek:

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
My copies of kobito turned up, those covers (shudder) along with fantasy life link & the guidebook, damn that thing is chunky at 500+ pages.
SAM_1166%20res.jpg

just realized i never downloaded the fantasy life "link" update...played the game last year during my life in japan, never played again.

is the link update free?

edit: damn and i need that book. need to order one.

Impotaku

Only 2 days to go & excitement is building here although i wish Nintendo would stop announcing faceplates i can barely keep up lol. Love the new smash bros design, just put a preorder in for when it comes out in nov. Just waiting for the Kyary ones to get announced.

71gF6lSLccL._AA1275_.jpg

Impotaku

just realized i never downloaded the fantasy life "link" update...played the game last year during my life in japan, never played again.

is the link update free?

edit: damn and i need that book. need to order one.

The link update to add the additional content to the base game costs money, it costs 2057yen for the link kit. Once you have that all the other updates are free.

mrback

So where are the unboxing vids from unscrupulous people who work at the suppliers & have sneaked em out? Not long now ;)

BriBri

Anyone pre-order from Nin-Nin? They haven't updated my order at all. Was hoping it would've been posted a day early:-0

So GAF's getting their systems soon right? Can't wait to see the official thread with impressions from you guys on the system.

...Will/Do we have an official thread?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone pre-order from Nin-Nin? They haven't updated my order at all. Was hoping it would've been posted a day early:-0
They usually take 3-4 business days to ship and since the 11th is a Saturday anyways it probably won't go out until the middle of next week.

kubus

So GAF's getting their systems soon right? Can't wait to see the official thread with impressions from you guys on the system.

...Will/Do we have an official thread?
Well this is a Japanese 3DS import thread so I guess this thread will do?

I can ask a mod to change the title so people are aware that the New 3DS is out / impressions can be found here.

Top Bottom