• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

moomoomilk

Neo Member
Everyone has such an awesome collection! I myself am an avid player of import games as well.

Is youkai watch really worth getting into?

Impotaku

I know with other people it might not be the same case, but for me youkai watch 1 & 2 are probably the best RPG games on the 3DS. The games are amazing they are extremely fun to play and the amount of detail put into the enviroments & the city totally shames up Nintendosown games. They are truly beautiful games, every tree & plant is animated. In 3D it looks wonderful, there is a good reason it's been at the very top of the Japanese charts every single week since it's release :)

Weils

Neo Member
I know with other people it might not be the same case, but for me youkai watch 1 & 2 are probably the best RPG games on the 3DS. The games are amazing they are extremely fun to play and the amount of detail put into the enviroments & the city totally shames up Nintendosown games. They are truly beautiful games, every tree & plant is animated. In 3D it looks wonderful, there is a good reason it's been at the very top of the Japanese charts every single week since it's release :)

That's great. The more I hear about Youkai Watch, I get more excited. But right now, need to wait for my 3ds to arrive and play some games first before deciding on other games yet to get. Looks like I will be kept busy next month. :)

GpP1psS.jpg

Here's my very small collection of imports :) only started 3DS back in July-ish, Smash and Phoenix Wright 123 just arrived today.

You guys are definitely tempting me with Youkai watch, but I think I'll hold out for the Western release :) I can read next to 0 Japanese so wouldn't want to ruin the experience of an apparently spectacular game ^^

I got the two games today from CDJapan, they're pretty good. They don't mark down the package unfortunately, so I'll probably have to pay some custom fees, but whatever. Fedex messed up and it took a bit extra to get my parcel to me (it was still in Tennessee yesterday afternoon according to their tracker, and I'm in the UK...)

I'll probably end up ordering Final fantasy explorers from CDJ with the 300 yen worth of reward points (lol), and the fact that they dispatch before release.

Impotaku

Another great start to a collection there, nice to see some DS games coming into the mix too. Love seeing peoples pics, keep them coming :)

As much as im loving the 3DS my true love is with it's predecessor, i hope that the 3DS will eventualy live upto it and have just as many weird & wonderful Japanese games as the DS has. My DS collection is filled with many weird games & obscure unheard of Japanese games, i love it.

I know this is the 3DS thread but some people might get a kick out of seeing a huge pile of Japanese games, i did post it in the DS thread but not many post in there it seems, in the pile there are a handful of American DS games hiding away hehe :) Some games just didn't make it to Japan or they are too tough for me in Japanese as im not exactly fluent to say the least. That's about 80% of what i have for DS there are still things i have yet to add to a main pic though. Even now though i still keep finding wonderful games i missed out on.
S6302644.jpg

Beckx

Bought Minna de Mamotte Knight today on the eshop. I was not prepared for the implementation of the mic in the opening, haha.

So good hearing 8-bit style Yuzo Koshiro tunes coming from my 3DS.

Saw your Ds collection over at the thread Impotaku, incredible! I'm really jealous of your Okamiden collector's(?) edition. Do you have all your games logged on a Google docs spreadsheet or something? Would love to see if so ^^

Also, whats to the right of the GS box in the bottom right?

Impotaku

Yes that's the okamiden LE, probably one of the nicest LE on the DS it's full of so many nice items. Don't have them all on a list yet, i have the game collectorz database program that im slowly adding them into but so far i have only done a quater of it as there are over 200 games to edit in before i even start taking pics & adding those.

Not sure which game you are referring to, you mean the black box on the very bottom right?

Another great start to a collection there, nice to see some DS games coming into the mix too. Love seeing peoples pics, keep them coming :)

As much as im loving the 3DS my true love is with it's predecessor, i hope that the 3DS will eventualy live upto it and have just as many weird & wonderful Japanese games as the DS has. My DS collection is filled with many weird games & obscure unheard of Japanese games, i love it.

I know this is the 3DS thread but some people might get a kick out of seeing a huge pile of Japanese games, i did post it in the DS thread but not many post in there it seems, in the pile there are a handful of American DS games hiding away hehe :) Some games just didn't make it to Japan or they are too tough for me in Japanese as im not exactly fluent to say the least. That's about 80% of what i have for DS there are still things i have yet to add to a main pic though. Even now though i still keep finding wonderful games i missed out on.
S6302644.jpg

After seeing this collection... I don't want to post my measly one in comparison! And hey, a fellow owner of the Okamiden CE!

Impotaku

Please post your collection, don't let the mountain put you off. It's nice to see anything, it doesn't have to be a large amount. Everyones collection is unique as it's tailored to their tastes which is why i like seeing what things people like.

Nobody starts out with a lot of games, hell when i first got my DS all those years ago i only had 8 games in my collection it took years & years buying them one at a time as they were released. Because i never sell my games once bought, they slowly started to build up, nowdays though i tend to buy them in small batches rather than one at a time.

Zornica

Banned
Any reason why you got ni no kuni twice? oO

Saw your Ds collection over at the thread Impotaku, incredible! I'm really jealous of your Okamiden collector's(?) edition. Do you have all your games logged on a Google docs spreadsheet or something? Would love to see if so ^^

Also, whats to the right of the GS box in the bottom right?

I'm note sure which box are you refering too... maybe the red solato robo one?

Boogiepop

My collection of both 3DS and DS Japanese games are still relatively modest.

DS:
Ouendan
Ouendan 2
Jump Ultimate Stars
Fire Emblem 12
Ni no Kuni (actually didn't initially intend to grab this one, but the box called out to me in Japan. Such an awesome package!)
Luminous Arc 3: Eyes
Tales of the Tempest
Tales of Hearts
Gyakuten Kenji 2
Super Robot Taisen: OG Saga: Endless Frontier: Exceed (Actually playing through this one now)

3DS:
Taiko no Tatsujin: Don to Katsu no Jukuu Daiboken
Band Bros. P
Dragon Quest Monsters
Dragon Quest Monsters 2
Slime Morimori 3
Gaist Crusher

Definitely looking to expand though, especially on the 3DS front. Though I still mostly plan to just grab the English versions of stuff where applicable.

BTW, what was that one robot game (I think they may have transformed?) where the controls were on the bottom screen or whatever? I think it was a Nintendo game? And was it any good? Just randomly remember seeing that a while back when I was looking into imports at first.

Impotaku

Any reason why you got ni no kuni twice? oO

I picked up a second copy on ninokuni as there are elements in the game that i can't do on my own like the egg trading, there is no way on earth i'd meet anyone here in Leeds that even owns a copy to allow me to egg trade, it was going really cheap at one point so i picked up another copy. I rarely buy multiples of the same game but that is an exception, literally played that game inside & out. Nearly 100 hours of gaming joy that game brought.

Impotaku

Ah Boogiepop i think the game you are thinking of is chou soujuu mecha mg, yeah it's pretty fun, controls are a tiny bit clunky but the thrill of pulling all the levers & activating the switches makes up for it :) It's crazy that Nintendo never released it outside of Japan but in the DS era they didn't release a lot of things.

That's a nice collection btw, hehe you were brave enough to get gyakuten kenji 2 as well that's bonus points. Those games are a little beyond my reading level in Japanese which is why i didn't pick that one up. Weirdly i got the limited editions but i also got the American versions of GS4 & Miles edgeworth so i could actually play them.

kubus

Holy moly, everyone has such an amazing collection of games O_O

*goes to hide own "collection" in shame ;_;*

In my defense, I'll be in Japan in a few months and I'm planning to do most of my import shopping then... That Ni no Kuni set is definitely one of my targets!

S6302644.jpg

Absolutely amazing! I love your collection. I have always wanted the Ninokuni collector's edition for that big book included.

Kysen

I feel jealous looking at peoples stacks of games, sadly i'm not patient enough to wait for the carts to arrive and buy everything digitally :( All I have is one SD card with 15 games.

lolitsgriff

Neo Member
I'm kind of sad about the lack of matte finish on the new 3DS's but I've preordered one anyway. I've been meaning to make the switch to a Japanese 3DS for a long time, even went my whole time in Japan without buying one, so I think this is a pretty good start.

Does anyone know if they still don't come with AC adapters? Not sure if I should actually buy one or not/if the standing charger dock actually needs a separate adapter or if it has one built in? I can't really tell by the item description on Nippon Yasan.

Does anyone know if the Pokemon OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire figures are going to be coming to America? I'm considering getting the Japanese releases just to get these figures, and the double pack is tempting.

Weils

Neo Member
Does anyone know if they still don't come with AC adapters? Not sure if I should actually buy one or not/if the standing charger dock actually needs a separate adapter or if it has one built in? I can't really tell by the item description on Nippon Yasan.

No adapter inside. You can either get a separate adapter for your own region or charger dock (which still requires the adapter btw) or get a USB to 3DS port cable.

FSLink

Banned
So out of the new September games for the purchasing an LL promotion, which is worth getting?

Luigi's Mansion 2
Tomodachi Life
Mario Kart 7
Attack on Titan
Dragon Quest X

Problem is that I have LM2, TL, and MK7 in English already, and getting another copy of MK7 seems stupid when I have Mario Kart 8 on Wii U AND that multiplayer on 3DS Mario Kart 7 is region locked anyway.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
So out of the new September games for the purchasing an LL promotion, which is worth getting?

Luigi's Mansion 2
Tomodachi Life
Mario Kart 7
Attack on Titan
Dragon Quest X

Problem is that I have LM2, TL, and MK7 in English already, and getting another copy of MK7 seems stupid when I have Mario Kart 8 on Wii U AND that multiplayer on 3DS Mario Kart 7 is region locked anyway.

Would it not be wise to wait for the New 3DS XL in about 3 weeks?

Attack on Titan looks kinda fun if you like the anime. Dragon Quest X though... hmmm... MMO on 3DS in Japanese only? Ouch.

FSLink

Banned
Would it not be wise to wait for the New 3DS XL in about 3 weeks?

Attack on Titan looks kinda fun if you like the anime. Dragon Quest X though... hmmm... MMO on 3DS in Japanese only? Ouch.

MMO and it's streamed, not native. Attack on Titan is apparently coming to the US....I really don't have a good choice here, lol. And it's the last month for the LL promotion.

I'm asking because I recently got a capture card capable 3DS (mostly for Smash Bros), and it happened to include the LL promotion. Otherwise I'd get the New 3DS (not LL since I prefer faceplates).

Mozz-eyes

Banned
MMO and it's streamed, not native. Attack on Titan is apparently coming to the US....I really don't have a good choice here, lol. And it's the last month for the LL promotion.

I'm asking because I recently got a capture card capable 3DS (mostly for Smash Bros), and it happened to include the LL promotion. Otherwise I'd get the New 3DS (not LL since I prefer faceplates).

I know it's streamed, but I'd think that a portable isn't an ideal place for an MMO. I debated getting it myself, or the Wii U version but decided to give it a miss.

FSLink

Banned
I know it's streamed, but I'd think that a portable isn't an ideal place for an MMO. I debated getting it myself, or the Wii U version but decided to give it a miss.

Yeah I don't think I'll grab DQX since if I were to get it, I'd get it on PC or Wii U instead.

BTW, what was that one robot game (I think they may have transformed?) where the controls were on the bottom screen or whatever? I think it was a Nintendo game? And was it any good? Just randomly remember seeing that a while back when I was looking into imports at first.

Chou Soujuu Mecha MG from Sandlot for DS perhaps?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/934355-chou-soujuu-mecha-mg

Fantastic game that is definitely worth tracking down.

Impotaku

Another shipment of games arrived this morning, ah importing for DS/3DS is always a joy, looks like my day is going to be full.
SAM_1156%20res.jpg

SAM_1157%20res.jpg

Even got a free preorder bonus for gardening mama, a tiny 4 leaf clover set in a phone strap.

mcmmaster

My One Piece 3DS LL arrived this morning, gawd this design is even more hot in person. Also grabbed a copy of Smash Bros (OP Unlimited World R came with the 3DS LL)

iCix9BmRwkLFt.JPG

ipU0ptiZc9ZkY.JPG

Ordered from Nin-Nin-Game, they usually ship my orders out within a few days but this time it took around 2 weeks to ship out, it arrived 2 days after it shipped so i'm not that fussed anymore.

Was a breeze setting this thing up so thanks kubus for all the info in this thread, been a huge help.

kubus

Oh man, that 3DS is a beauty! I was eyeing that one and the Chopper 3DS too, until they sudddenly announced the new models.

Can't wait till I get my New 3DS, just a little over 2,5 weeks left!

Impotaku

Yeah got that email this morning, last few platinum gifts have been pretty bad for Japan so i can't say i'm that sorry to see it go. The days of getting really cool & exclusive stuff ended long ago, last few years its been a rubbish calendar & a download game.

Zornica

Banned
I guess I should've read the mail before deleting it...
did it say anything else? the platinum/gold membership is going to end, does it have any effect on the points you already have? they wont abolish the whole rewards-system, right?

Impotaku

The gold/platinum rewards rank will no longer be in place, this year is the last time you can get rewards if you qualified.

No points will be available in new hardware, just games just will have points in them. Even the stuff on the goods page is not that good anymore, it's all cd's & stationary mostly. I'm hoping for at least some new 3ds faceplates it's the only reason i still put my points in.

I have been a member since the Japanese one first started i remember when the gifts were amazing like been able to send your gbasp in & having them replace the shell with an exclusive limited colour, or the exclusive gamecube controllers or having your own mii etched onto a wii remote battery cover.

Nowdays it's a mere shadow of it's former self.

Bulbasaur

Banned
The gold/platinum rewards rank will no longer be in place, this year is the last time you can get rewards if you qualified.

No points will be available in new hardware, just games just will have points in them. Even the stuff on the goods page is not that good anymore, it's all cd's & stationary mostly. I'm hoping for at least some new 3ds faceplates it's the only reason i still put my points in.

I have been a member since the Japanese one first started i remember when the gifts were amazing like been able to send your gbasp in & having them replace the shell with an exclusive limited colour, or the exclusive gamecube controllers or having your own mii etched onto a wii remote battery cover.

Nowdays it's a mere shadow of it's former self.

Is it difficult to join or register games and recieve prizes if you have no japanese literacy and live outside japan?

Josephl64

Is it difficult to join or register games and recieve prizes if you have no japanese literacy and live outside japan?

there is a guide here so registering isn't really a problem. Receiving rewards might be if you want physical ones unless you are willing to use services to get them for you in which case there should be no problem

mcmmaster

Anyone know how I go about redeeming this free game promotion on my new 3DS LL?

I've already made the Club Nintendo account, registered the code and linked the account to the 3DS.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Hmmm this seems like the right place to ask...

So a friend of mine is a big Monster Hunter fan and I'm interested in importing this for him as a gift:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00LSTP2P0/

But before I do I just came here to ask:
Is it compatible with the current 3DS Models in the US? (the non "New" 3DS)

Forgive my ignorance on this seemingly simple matter.

kubus

^
I am in no way an expert on SD cards but I don't see why not. It looks like it was made for exactly that purpose!

Just some general points though:

- Assuming you don't live in japan, have you checked whether amazon.jp actually ships that worldwide, or are you planning to use a forwarding service? As far as I know they only ship books and blurays outside Japan.

- It looks like a lovely gift for a MH fan but upgrading from 4GB to 8GB is not really that much of an improvement (especially considering that you pay roughly the same for a 32GB card nowadays). Have you considered this?

That SD card looks really sweet though. As a MH fan I would love to receive that as a gift, and if your friend doesn't download a lot of stuff on his 3DS, he would be more than fine with 8GB :)

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I'm considering either a forward service,some other website or eBay but I haven't decided yet. As for the size it shouldn't be an issue since my friend is not a heavy downloader and never filled up the SD that came with the 3DS XL. Thanks for the input!

mrback

I'm considering either a forward service,some other website or eBay but I haven't decided yet. As for the size it shouldn't be an issue since my friend is not a heavy downloader and never filled up the SD that came with the 3DS XL. Thanks for the input!

I've just set up a tenso account & amazon account up. fairly easy to do. I've ordered an item from amazon japan & it arrived safely at tenso, its now on the way to the uk from tenso.

Impotaku

More supplements to my 3DS youkai watch games turned up today, medals galore :)

2 boxes of booster packs for each of the new series plus a new binder to accomodate them all.
SAM_1159%20res.jpg

Filled in the missing gaps with more purchases, some of the rarer medals. Got the newest 8 orange daikichi medals from the arcade game and the latest rare legend yellow medal from the lotter at the medaland website. Also some binder inserts for the newest series and a small binder for my non main series sets.
SAM_1160%20res.jpg

Getting addicted to those games sure is expensive but also a lot of fun hehe

BloodR0se

Does anyone know if the information in the OP regarding foreign credit cards on the JP eShop is still correct?

Last year my girlfriend bought quite a few games by importing cartridges from Play-Asia/YesAsia but the delivery took around 1 month. It would be easier if we could just download them from the eShop really and the JP eShop prices look quite reasonable.

Top Bottom