• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb on Bloodborne Remake/Remastered: 'Not happening at the moment'

Draugoth

Gold Member
19svm6llebs61.jpg

“It's just not happening at the moment. At least not involving From. From's time is worth too much, and Sony probably doesn't want to pay the premium to lock it down. It's hard to imagine From working on a one-console exclusive ever again.”

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Apparently Bloodborne's game engine is tied to the game being 30fps. Probably a mess of a code to try and remaster
For Dark Souls at least, the engine that from used (probably still does) had some aspects of the game logic tied to the frame rate. Unlocking the frame rate on PC could lead to funky stuff such as weapons degrading faster or issues with the physics engine (messed up jump, clipping through the floor after descending a ladder).

This was fixed with Dark Souls II though and I assume From used the updated engine for Bloodborne.

DavidGzz

So Sony can't even have some dev or even Nixxes give it even a slight boost? Just asking for 60 frames and call it good. Still holding out hope there is a Remaster coming like with Demon's Souls. Huffing hopium for at least another 10 years

Apparently Bloodborne's game engine is tied to the game being 30fps. Probably a mess of a code to try and remaster
Literally fixed with just a few lines of code. I played 60fps Bloodborne on my jailbroken PS4 Pro this week.

This whole, "Fromsoft code is so messy" narrative needs to stop when modders, some of whom work completely solo, have fixed all of these issues without access to source code. If Lance McDonald can figure out how to backport the 60fps Dark Souls 3 patch to Bloodborne, Sony could easily do the same and then some. They just don't want to.

Last edited:
No one should be surprised From Software doesn't want to do a single-platform game ever again after Elden Ring and then Armored Core 6

What I don't get is why Sony doesn't want to just give it to Bluepoint to remaster/remake like Shadow of the Colossus or Demon's Souls

I don't remember if Bloodborne sold really badly or what

Last edited:
No one should be surprised From Software doesn't want to do a single-platform game ever again after Elden Ring and then Armored Core 6

What I don't get is why Sony doesn't want to just give it to Bluepoint to remaster/remake like Shadow of the Colossus or Demon's Souls

The recent leaks indicated it sold about 7 million copies. So pretty good for a pre-Elden Ring Fromsoft.

nial

Gold Member

Because Bluepoint is just a support studio, and those remakes were mainly done by Japan Studio IDD; which got replaced by Team Asobi, that focuses on a more family-oriented output.
Bloodborne sold VERY well, pretty sure that it's already a top 10 best-selling SIE series with only one game, and if SIE isn't doing anything with it, it's because they're waiting for the best moment (PS6 launch, close release to the rumored movie).

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Remaster with graphics improvement, resolution improvement, fixed frame pacing from the previous fuckup, 60 FPS locked. That's it. If they want to add any cut content, that would be stellar, just let it be done by AT LEAST the B team at Fromsoft, if the A cannot take on the project.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
you are more likely to get horizon re-remake than a bloodborne remaster.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
How many PC bros have bought a PS4 or PS5 just to play Bloodborne? Maybe Sony just sees more money in a game as iconic as Bloodborne to stay on its system

How many people are still buying a PS4 just to play Bloodborne these days? If you seriously think that Sony is making more money from that tiny crowd compared to what they would bring in if they released a PC port tomorrow, then I have a lovely beachside property in Montana to sell ya.

Killjoy-NL

How many people are still buying a PS4 just to play Bloodborne these days? If you seriously think that Sony is making more money from that tiny crowd compared to what they would bring in if they released a PC port tomorrow, then I have a lovely beachside property in Montana to sell ya.
What if both amounts are roughly the same?

Perrott

"From's time is worth too much [...] Sony probably doesn't want to pay the premium."

Grubb, just shut up and don't comment on what you clearly don't know shit about.

PlayStation Studios has pretty much given carte blanche to Kojima Productions - a game studio just as celebrated as FromSoftware - for the Death Stranding sequel, not to mention the absurd amounts of money they've poured into The Last Of Us Part II, God of War: Ragnarök, Horizon: Forbidden West or Spider-Man 2 over the past years, and I cannot even begin to imagine how much Naughty Dog and Santa Monica next games or even Physint are going to cost.

So money is not an issue and I don't think it's coincidence that Hermen Hulst name-dropped FromSoftware alongside Kojima Productions in 2021 when asked about Japanese PlayStation first-party development. Between that, and the fact that SIE went on to invest and own a stake in FromSoftware, I 100% expect them to have a PS Studios game in development, as rumors have been suggesting for years now.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
As much as I would like it to happen, Demons Souls remake wasn't a big hit, right? Despite all the noise we all made.
I suppose sony doesn't seem bloodborne remake as probable success after that.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
This isn't any kind of insider insight.
"at least not involving From", no shit. Their primary director literally just said as much. Sony put out a very good Demon's Souls remake without FromSoftware's involvement. Sony owns the IP and a studio that has proven adept at adapting FromSoftware's games.

As much as I would like it to happen, Demons Souls remake wasn't a big hit, right? Despite all the noise we all made.
I suppose sony doesn't seem bloodborne remake as probable success after that.
The remake was a PS5 launch title, I'm not sure it stood much of a chance. I think Sony needs to port that to PC.

nial

Gold Member
"From's time is worth too much [...] Sony probably doesn't want to pay the premium."

Grubb, just shut up and don't comment on what you clearly don't know shit about.

PlayStation Studios has pretty much given carte blanche to Kojima Productions - a game studio just as celebrated as FromSoftware - for the Death Stranding sequel, not to mention the absurd amounts of money they've poured into The Last Of Us Part II, God of War: Ragnarök, Horizon: Forbidden West or Spider-Man 2 over the past years, and I cannot even begin to imagine how much Naughty Dog and Santa Monica next games or even Physint are going to cost.

So money is not an issue and I don't think it's coincidence that Hermen Hulst name-dropped FromSoftware alongside Kojima Productions in 2021 when asked about Japanese PlayStation first-party development. Between that, and the fact that SIE went on to invest and own a stake in FromSoftware, I 100% expect them to have a PS Studios game in development, as rumors have been suggesting for years now.
Yeah, the money issue was really weird of his part.
They obviously hold From Software in high regard, why else would they remake their 2009 game, that wasn't originally published by them outside of Japan, as a launch title for their new console?

DaciaJC

Gold Member
What if both amounts are roughly the same?

I'm quite confident that Bloodborne on PC would be a multi-million seller, going by the performance of other Souls games on the platform. You expect me to believe that over a million PC gamers bought a PS4 this year to play Bloodborne?

Killjoy-NL

I'm quite confident that Bloodborne on PC would be a multi-million seller, going by the performance of other Souls games on the platform. You expect me to believe that over a million PC gamers bought a PS4 this year to play Bloodborne?
PC gamers might not, but multiplatform gamers might.
Which is all that would matter to Sony.

Cant trust anything that comes from anyone involved in this industries mouth. Whether it's IGN helping to prop up Phil, an "industry insider", a game director or whomever! This industry is full of shit!!

Top Bottom