• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jefferies Equity Analyst: Mario Kart 8D a "mega-hit on a different scale altogether"

The Hermit

This is honestly not that impressive, Nintendo shares will always be sold to their core investors of about three million. Since Nintendo was close to dying due to droughts there's no reason for the stock not to go up. Goyal is also a Nintendo fanboy, I saw him presenting his daughter with a DS last summer.

this is a very good version of the meme

Wow guys really beating your chest this early in the game?

So what if it's fastest selling mario kart?

Doesn't seem like anything to me.

Its waaaay to early to tell guys. It's gonna be a bigger failure than Wii-u, Believe it!

NeoGaf votes! Was this post satire? You decide!

There's an embarrassment of embarrassing, yet wholly sincere posts in here.

Keep up the "Switch has no games" narrative, and you just might get it to stick. You got to want it people.

This is dumb, of course it sold ridiculously well, you got a couple million people out there who mainly bought the Switch for one game and after two months this Mario Kart game is probably the second really meaningful release on it and a lot of those people probably didn't play the WiiU version considering how small its install base was it might as well be considered an full on exclusive.

Sky Walker

It's gonna be a bigger failure than Wii-u, Believe it!
Shaq-points-laughs-and-leaves-press-conference.gif

Mario Kart Wii (which is now Nintendo's third best selling game of all time) came out during the peak of the Wii.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a port of a 2014 game, on a new console with an almost non-existent installed base.

The fact MK8D sold more at launch is incredible.

Kangi

"Well if we don't count indie games as clearly they aren't actual games"

I mean, it has no games if you squint your eyes hard enough.

• Doesn't count because it's a port: Binding of Isaac, Shovel Knight, Splatoon
  • Doesn't count because it's a glorified port: Fast RMX, Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
  • Doesn't count because it's on other platforms: Zelda, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Wonder Boy, Snake Pass, Tumbleseed
  • Doesn't count because I said so: Bomberman, Blaster Master Zero, Graceful Explosion Machine, Snipperclips
  • Doesn't count because it's Vroom in the Night Sky: Vroom in the Night Sky

Mario Kart Wii (which is now Nintendo's third best selling game of all time) came out during the peak of the Wii.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a port of a 2014 game, on a new console with an almost non-existent installed base.

The fact MK8D sold more at launch is incredible.

This. There's a disconnect in the discussion. Obviously it's not surprising that a Mario Kart game is selling well, but this is not the news. On the other hand, it probably should be a surprise that MK8D has the biggest opening in franchise history. In all seriousness, if people truly projected that with any degree of certainty, they should take Atul Goyal's job.

Neiteio

Same, plus im -starving- for other games so I bought Mario Kart even though I dont like it. I also bought Zelda, Graceful Explosion Machine, I am Setsuna, Bomberman, and Fast RMX just cuz theres nothing else to do. If 10 high profile games dont come out every week I just start buying anything that comes out
Hahaha, amazing

ggx2ac

The "starving Switch owners" narrative still makes no sense in the context of a console that's only been out for two months from the beginning of March. (You'll understand later in this post.)

If Mario Kart 8 Deluxe did shit sales, no one would say Switch owners are starving. If the Wonderful​ 101 released instead of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, no one would say it would have done well in sales because Switch owners are starving since we know it released on the Wii U after a very long software drought but still did shit in sales.

Then there's the fact that AAA releases are few and far between now. Western 3rd parties release the majority of their AAA titles at the end of the calendar year to take advantage of sales during holidays especially with how front loaded their titles are since they always release a sequel annually, CoD anyone?

If Switch had launched during the holidays, there was always the possibility they would have had a western 3rd party AAA title at launch, whether there's actually going to be any announced for this year at E3? I don't know. The point is there would've been more games during a holiday launch due to western third parties as opposed to launching in March.

Following from how there are much less AAA games now because of the risks involved and it how destroyed studios for failures in the PS3/360 gen. Most of you should remember the effect of how Nintendo 3DS ended up with Five Double-Million Sellers for the Japanese Market in 6 months, the market is different now. There is less competition for AAA games because they will easily outdo all the B-tier games due to having more exposure from advertising.
The smaller publishers don't have $20 to $200 million to spend on advertising to get the most exposure for their games to the masses.
With less competition means that the bigger titles get even more sales as pointed out in the example above.

That same point can be said about Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, what else released physically during that week? Puyo Puyo Tetris. Tetris has brand power but I don't think Sega planned to spend multi-million​s on advertising to get the game sold. Of course some will say that is not a AAA title, but what other AAA titles would have released during that period? As I said, western 3rd parties release the majority of their AAA games at the end of the year to sell during the holidays and don't expect a port of a AAA game from last year to light up the charts for releasing in the same week as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

It's funny to me how much the Switch gets knocked for having no games.

In its first two months I have played arguably 2 of the best games in their respective series in Zelda and MK.

Thats pretty telling when in the first afew months of owning my ps4 and xb1, the best games I was playing were a third party BF4 and a indie ps4 exclusive in Resogun and xb1 exclusive on Dead Rising. I didn't even bother to play Ryse or Knack because well they just weren't very good.

There's an embarrassment of embarrassing, yet wholly sincere posts in here.

Keep up the "Switch has no games" narrative, and you just might get it to stick. You got to want it people.

Seriously, Nintendo threads have become unbearable and at this point I'm not sure why I open them. I do not understand why there's such a discomfort at any good new regarding Nintendo, any fucking thing will be at least met with a "well, but the Vita did it better before!" nonsense bullshit. I get that Nintendo makes decisions that a lot of people dislike, but this insane cynicism towards anything regarding their consoles or games is completely ridiculous.

I think people are utilizing their rose tinted glasses when thinking about PS4. First year was not great.

Yup.

Infamous was cute for its time, everything else was butt or unremarkable. Knack notwithstanding of course, GOAT.

Seriously though, what games from the first two months of the X1/PS4 launch can compare?

MisterHero

This. There's a disconnect in the discussion. Obviously it's not surprising that a Mario Kart game is selling well, but this is not the news. On the other hand, it probably should be a surprise that MK8D has the biggest opening in franchise history. In all seriousness, if people truly projected that with any degree of certainty, they should take Atul Goyal's job.

Hear me out, you also have to consider that once there was console and portable, and now there is only Switch.

So it's like MK8Deluxe has to perform in the place of MKWii AND MKDS and sell over 70 million units collectively

Well not that much but there isn't room for 2 games now. Maybe lots of DLC though... :p

samar11

I think people are utilizing their rose tinted glasses when thinking about PS4. First year was not great.

Yeh but everyone knew every single third publisher was going to jump on board, even with the the ps3 and 599 they did. Thats not going to be the case with the switch.

Buggy Loop

Holy shit this thread turned the notch of insanity to 11.

Positive Nintendo news truely is some kind of DEET for some warriors.

KingV

It's funny to me how much the Switch gets knocked for having no games.

In its first two months I have played arguably 2 of the best games in their respective series in Zelda and MK.

Thats pretty telling when in the first afew months of owning my ps4 and xb1, the best games I was playing were a third party BF4 and a indie ps4 exclusive in Resogun and xb1 exclusive on Dead Rising. I didn't even bother to play Ryse or Knack because well they just weren't very good.

Truth. PS4 and X1 basically had no releases from launch through March the following year. BF4, resogun and maybe Ryse/DR3. Then basically nothing until Second Son and Titanfall.

In comparison, Switch is killing it with solid exclusives.

This is dumb, of course it sold ridiculously well, you got a couple million people out there who mainly bought the Switch for one game and after two months this Mario Kart game is probably the second really meaningful release on it and a lot of those people probably didn't play the WiiU version considering how small its install base was it might as well be considered an full on exclusive.

You just don't get it. It's not about being meaningful or starving or whatever narrative you're trying to create here.

It's Mario Kart. People buy consoles for this game. People bought a Switch for this game. People bought Switches for all the games Nintendo showed off in January. We're talking a console with Zelda, Mario Kart, Splatoon, Mario, and Xenoblade. No one buys a console for only one game, if they wanted Zelda that much, they would've bought a Wii U, and the same applies to MK8D. Please stop trivializing a game's sales. That's just lame.

Of course, regardless of that, a success is a success and selling as well as this game did deserves praise, not being called "dumb." Save your drive by posts for something else.

I recall that many on GAF predicted it would bomb. Funny how two months can change the narrative. 'Mario Kart selling well is not a surprise.' LOL.

Nintendo's success really bring out the crazy in people.

jnWake

• Doesn't count because it's on other platforms: Zelda, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Wonder Boy, Snake Pass, Tumbleseed
  • Doesn't count because I said so: Bomberman, Blaster Master Zero, Graceful Explosion Machine, Snipperclips

Blaster Master is on 3DS!

LOL @ people for real in this thread saying that fuckin' Mario Kart is selling so well because people who just bought a Switch 2 months ago are desperate for new games.

Even if we weren't talking about one of the most consistent system sellers of the last 30 years, the Switch doesn't exist in a bubble. If there's no games to buy for it, people will just, you know, play with something else.

Dre3001

The early PS4 days were pretty barren indeed.
I assume you mean skip every game as in miss the ship on 3rd party tentpoles? It's the trouble of doing their own generational jumps. The tech is just far enough behind where it makes it not worth the trouble to port, short of moving the resolution a step down.

Im glad a few posters in this thread are mentioning this.

I dont even own a Switch yet but the double standards are amusing.

When PS4 first launched where were the good games?

I bought a PS4 on launch only to be extremely disappointed in Killzone: Tech Demo and Knack. Had it not been for Battlefield 4 (which had its share of online issues) and Assassins Creed Black Flag the launch would have been a complete disaster in terms of having anything to play.

It wasnt until Infamous and Bloodborne did things start to pick up.

The Switch launches and after only two months already has two very high profile games that received extremely good reviews. But yet people keep saying there is "absolutely nothing" to play.

People arent buying MK8D because they are "starved", its because it happens to be the definitive version of one of the best games in a huge franchise.

i think the point here is that mario kart 8D is a re-release and launched on a small userbase yet managed to sell more day one than a game that is amongst the best selling games ever (mario kart wii)

oti

Banned
I recall that many on GAF predicted it would bomb. Funny how two months can change the narrative. 'Mario Kart selling well is not a surprise.' LOL.

Nintendo's success really bring out the crazy in people.

I remember all the "BUT IT'S JUST A PORT WHO WANTS A PORT" and the "MARIO MAKER 3DS IS INFERIOR WHY DOES IT EXIST WHY" and "3DS IS DEAD NOW THAT SWITCH IS OUT" posts.

Fun times.

Sure feels like a handheld to me.

Haha, I'd rather not. holy shit!

The amount of mental gymnastics that certain people go through to downplay anything and everything Switch related is both hilarious and pathetic.

And what they don't seem to grasp is that no matter how much they whine and bitch, they won't change anyone's opinion with this kind of drivel.

..uhh, I was being sarcastic.

Since I've had the Switch I've, maybe, played it docked twice. It's very much a handheld to me.

Everybody doesn't feel like you do about the Switch.
"Hilarious", "pathetic", "whine and bitch"... "drivel"
Like, you would've sworn they were trying to hurt YOU or something. Don't worry about a couple of hecklers or people that dare challenge a claim from the internet.

It's Mario Kart it'll probably sell another 8 million just like the wiiu version.

What's really sad is anytime, anyone says anything in the slightest non positive way related to anything Nintendo, this community loses its fucking mind.
I skim these threads a lot (I like reading them more than actually posting) and almost always it's a Switch fan(?) with some passive-aggressive post, spurring negativity even further.

cacildo

That's right. I really hope that Nintendo comes up with a family plan for digital purchases. Mario Kart's local multiplayer is amazing across multiple Switches, but right now everybody has to own a copy even if they are in the same family. I would love to play Super Mario 3D World across multiple Switches as you wouldn't get stuck on the edge of the screen waiting for the other players. Even Pikmin 3 would be amazing.

it would be great
But unfortunally nintendo has this sad habit of "wow nintendo should really make this obvious thing" and they simply never do

Vice

Even on Wii U MK8 was able to move 8.3 million units. It's a very popular series no matter what, whether there are tons of games like on the Wii or DS where it sold nearly 40 million, each, or on a new console. It's a series people love and will buy a console for.

Seriously, Nintendo threads have become unbearable and at this point I'm not sure why I open them. I do not understand why there's such a discomfort at any good new regarding Nintendo, any fucking thing will be at least met with a "well, but the Vita did it better before!" nonsense bullshit. I get that Nintendo makes decisions that a lot of people dislike, but this insane cynicism towards anything regarding their consoles or games is completely ridiculous.
Both sides (Nintendo Fans and Haters) have become a bit unbearable to be honest. On the one side the haters that downplay Nintendo's success and claim that there are no games at all. On the other side the fans that celebrate Wii U ports as the second coming of christ and try to tell people that portable gaming is the only way to play games now.

@topic: no surprise here. Mario Kart always was a system seller and it fits really well on the switch with it's split-screen-modes and accessibility. Easiy to pick up and share with (non-gamer) friends.

The salt in this thread!

Have we ever had a thread regarding the psychology behind Nintendo Haters? It's remarkable!

Yep, that should be interesting. The fact of hating a goddamn brand is incredible. Are there people that have this kind of relation with ketchup makers, or fast food chains?

edit : and I agree with the post above. I play nintendo games and love them since my childhood (this is kind of my madeleine de proust) but some posters are really too much involved and embarrassing to read sometimes. Hey I remember some times ago a thread claiming that the WiiU was the best console of all time, I mean, huuuugh

This is honestly not that impressive, Nintendo shares will always be sold to their core investors of about three million. Since Nintendo was close to dying due to droughts there's no reason for the stock not to go up. Goyal is also a Nintendo fanboy, I saw him presenting his daughter with a DS last summer.
Hahahahaha.

Nerokis

What's really sad is anytime, anyone says anything in the slightest non positive way related to anything Nintendo, this community loses its fucking mind

I know there's a bit of a generalization arms race going on in this thread, but a simple "Switch fans are sensitive to criticism" would have sufficed here.

After reading this thread.

I think people forget just how popular Mario Kart is to a casual audience.

Anyways, yeah perfect time for Mario Kart to be out, it's gonna have legs, then it's gonna be a bundle for sure. Mario Kart always becomes a bundle game.

openrob

Oy.

I don't know why some people need to downplay the success.

I guess that was the excuse for Mario Kart Wii's sales too? No third party competition?

Why would i downplay it??
It's about having a discussion about the factors that are contributing to it's success.

CJY

Banned

Lol

Top Bottom