• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jewish people give Muslims key to their synagogue after town's mosque burns down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolx

Jewish people in a small Texas city handed Muslim worshippers the keys to their synagogue after the town's only mosque was destroyed in a fire.

The Victoria Islamic Centre burned down on Saturday and had previously been burgled—the cause is being investigated by federal officials.

But the town's Muslim population will not be without a place to worship while their building is reconstructed, thanks to their Jewish neighbours.

Robert Loeb, the president of Temple Bnai Israel, told Forward: "Everyone knows everybody, I know several members of the mosque, and we felt for them. When a calamity like this happens, we have to stand together.

"We have probably 25 to 30 Jewish people in Victoria, and they probably have 100 Muslims. We got a lot of building for a small amount of Jews."

One of the mosque's founders, Shahid Hashmi, said: "Jewish community members walked into my home and gave me a key to the synagogue."

The centre was built in 2000.

Donations and an online fundraising campaign have raised more than $900,000 (£717,000) for reconstruction.

The blaze was discovered at at about 2am on Saturday by a clerk at a convenience store, who called the fire department. It took around four hours to bring it under control and no injuries were reported.

The fire took place just hours after President Donald Trump announced he would ban citizens from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the US, and halted the country’s refugee program for 120 days.

Omar Rachid, who created the GoFundMe campaign, said: "Our hearts are filled with gratitude for the tremendous support we’ve received. The outpouring of love, kind words, hugs, helping hands and the financial contributions are examples of the true American spirit."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/victoria-islamic-centre-mosque-fire-texas-jews-give-key-synagogue-muslims-worship-gofundme-a7556331.html

Why can't the world always be this good?

Enco

We gotta stick together now more than ever.

Proud to be a jew when i read this.
Imagine how awesome life would be if everyone was like this.

Showing love and respect for your fellow man. Believing together in different ways.

Matty77

The more differences we can get over and the more we find common ground and unite the better. Those at the top may have power but they're are a lot more of us at the bottom.

Heartwarming and it's nice to read a story on GAF about love, kindness, and understanding vs whatever the head fascist in charge did today.

Fred-87

heartwarming :)

This.

I've been deeply depressed since Trump took office. Stories like this help make me feel better.

At least good still exists in this world.

Dont worry. Were living in dark times but good people will never cease to exist.

We're looking at two bodies of faith, not just surviving, but thriving off of goodwill and acceptance of one another. These same two bodies have also bore a hell of a lot of hatred within the past century. It's a good & important message to spread. I just seriously hope it doesn't paint an even bigger target on them.

Jag

This is good, but I hope they increase security for that synagogue.

Temples generally have strong security. Although that one sounds really small.

My kids go under the protection of armed guards (typically off duty police or private security), just like I did 30 years ago. Nothing has changed much.

Palmer_v1

Just curious here, but is the Mosque strictly required in any way for normal worship? Like anything that physically MUST be done at a Mosque?

Or are they more of a symbolic gathering site?

Matty77

We're looking at two bodies of faith, not just surviving, but thriving off of goodwill and acceptance of one another. These same two bodies have also bore a hell of a lot of hatred within the past century. It's a good & important message to spread. I just seriously hope it doesn't paint an even bigger target on them.
Yup. As I said to my mother if they can come together in the face of this there is still hope for the rest of us.

Such a small story, but still quite important.

Vengal

Temples generally have strong security. Although that one sounds really small.

My kids go under the protection of armed guards (typically off duty police or private security), just like I did 30 years ago. Nothing has changed much.

I never knew about this, though I guess I should have. I live near DC and we have a number of very large jewish community centers and sites around here. The one I pass almost everyday to work at least has one police car outside of it at all times.

Is there still many cases of violence against Jewish people at community centers or maybe vandalism/theft?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Pretty much this.

dhMeAzK.gif

Weeks are far easier to get through knowing this stuff is still happening

Jag

I never knew about this, though I guess I should have. I live near DC and we have a number of very large jewish community centers and sites around here. The one I pass almost everyday to work at least has one police car outside of it at all times.

Is there still many cases of violence against Jewish people at community centers or maybe vandalism/theft?

Yes. All the time.

Bomb threats haunt JCC preschools across U.S.

Over the past month, a series of coordinated bomb threats at Jewish Community Centers (JCCs) across the United States have threatened children, many of them preschoolers, and their parents, causing repeated evacuations and creating a sense of anxiety some are finding hard to shake.

caliph95

Don't you see this the (((jews))) plan the whole time they are clearly indoctrinate them to their (((conspiracy))) and gathering allies for the white genocide.

Seriously though these kinda news always makes me happy seeing people of different religions or groups giving someone a helping hand.

Jabronium

Yeah, going to take many more stories like this to get through the next few years. Luckily we've seen that good people are still around to make them happen.

This is what will make America great again. Unity not only in these dark times, but throughout all time. If only the rest of the world agreed.

Phased

Also here's a pic from the #MuslimBan protests

MTEwO8G.jpg

I saw this pic yesterday and loved it.

As Americans we should be celebrating our diversity, it's what makes us strong. Also regardless of how you feel about any particular religion, fucking with their place of worship is beyond horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom