• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode IX, Chris Terrio co-writing, now due Dec 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc

Oh, and here come the people who think The Force Awakens is just a remake of A New Hope. Because I totally remember A New Hope ending with Luke winning a lightsaber duel with Vader.

Anyways, the only part that gives me pause is that JJ is writing it as well. Episode 7 was written by Lawrence Kasdan

Remember, according to GAF TFA is trash and it only deserves to sit alongside the DCU in the trash bin. (WW excluded)

Chris Terrio....Chris Terrio....why does that name sound familiar?

zbxAmnZr.jpg

Oh God.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Episode VII was good. I'm cool with this.

This also sounds like Disney are really happy with VIII if they asked Johnson back.

kingocfs

Surprised by this, honestly. Seemed like he was done with it after the last one, and his wife was really against him doing something like that again.

Great. Baffled by the reactions in here, but then it's gaf and folk are insane. He's only had 1 misstep in his directing career, TFA was great and, most importantly, he's not a hack like Trevorrow.

Granted the speculation about Duvernay, Watiti and Peel was interesting but JJ is a solid, safe choice that will definitely deliver.

Boke1879

Chris Terrio of Argo is cowriting it with him. Not a fan of this decision with the schedule he's going to need to hit. Won't be shocked when the film gets moved to December.

It'll be for the best if it gets moved to December. That should be the permanent date for all SW movies imo.

i-Lo

So, who are the people who are actually in charge of writing the story line (because EP7 left a lot to be desired)?

Sephzilla

So we've upgraded directors but potentially downgraded in writers

So, who are the people who are actually in charge of writing the story line (because EP7 left a lot to be desired)?

Episode 7 was written by the guy who made Empire Strikes Back

Episode 9 is going to be written by the guy who made Batman V Superman

wait, has the internet turned on Force Awakens? lol

Of course, for a brief moment in its life the internet was happy about something and it couldn't be having any of that.

People seriously thought there was even a chance of Lynch directing this?

lmao

I like Lynch and even twin peaks 2017 tested me. I would love to see the collision of a Lynch Star Wars movie and the everyday person, oh the fallout would be delicious garmonbozia.

Mindwipe

7 was great. A little safe (but that's a corporate decision as much as anything), but enormously fun, and frankly I'm sure he'll have learned stacks from having done it too.

I'm totally okay with this.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, Chris Terrio writing? Hmm that's kind of a bummer. Hopefully Abrams is vocal enough to force change (pun intended) some dreadful things we saw in BvS.

Instead of "Martha!!!!" it'll be "Mon Mohtma!!!!"

liquidtmd

Banned
Happy with the news. The principals have experience with him, he delivered a solid enjoyable entry, he can obviously deal with the Lucasfilm management and he's...not Trevorrow

Everyone was hot on Terrio, then BvS happened. I don't think that was his fault though.

Basically it'll be a question of how much that was him, how much of it was Snyder, and how much of it was DC needing to build their cinematic universe. There's potential for good stuff there, but also potential for everything to go horribly wrong.

I never understood why they didn't get the same director for the entire trilogy. But as much as I'd like for JJ to come back I'd also prefer it if he was doing something original at this point.

The original plan was for JJ to do both episodes 7 and 8. He turned them down saying he only wanted to do 1 film and be a fan for the other 2.

I'm guessing he received a gigantic offer for this movie

Vectorman

Banned
They did but reading GAF sometimes you'd think that the prequels were excellent and misunderstood films and that TFA was a dumpster fire.

A critique on the idea of replacing Vader, a woman who's competent and also very down to earth and relatable as well as straight up inspirational for younger audiences, killing Han Solo, seeing very little of Luke, a completely different fight or flight representation of the force, these things weren't surprising?

You're trying really hard for this film, I'll give you that.

Good news. JJ did a great job with TFA and introduced some really likeable new characters. A definite upgrade on Treverrow. I'm excited to see how he'll close out the trilogy.

Mr. Hyde

That's fine. He's a passable director and seven was entertaining despite not being original. I'd rather Rian get back to original material because he's a very creative director and writer who keeps growing. He should be able to get backing for whatever he wants now.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, Chris Terrio writing? Hmm that's kind of a bummer. Hopefully Abrams is vocal enough to force change (pun intended) some thing that are as bad as the things in BvS.

Instead of "Martha!!!!" it'll be "Mon Mohtma!!!!"
Co-writing. As the guy beloved of the producers and who is also directing, Abrams will have a more final say over writing choices than Terrio.

Ross61

It's cool to joke, but Terrio actually has an oscar for a great screenplay. Which is more than what a lot of people who've worked on Star Wars can say they have.

Alienous

Terrio, huh?

"No Luke, leave Ben alone"

"Why did you say that name? Why did you say that name!?"

"Luke please"

"That was my mentor's ... uh ... nickname"

Just kidding - Luke isn't going to make it through Episode 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom