• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode IX, Chris Terrio co-writing, now due Dec 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc

Basically it'll be a question of how much that was him, how much of it was Snyder, and how much of it was DC needing to build their cinematic universe. There's potential for good stuff there, but also potential for everything to go horribly wrong.

True, it's hard to lay blame at Terrio when it's unknown how much input WB or Snyder had on the writing process.

Oh come on...I mean it's better than Trevorrov for sure but TFA was so...bleh..in many aspects.

I disliked a solid chunk of the film when they met Han Solo up until his death (where it picked up again)

But man that first half hour is arguably the best slice of blockbuster Abrams has ever directed. And the best of star wars I've seen since empire too (although as a whole id put it at 4th place or maybe even 5th under phantom). Just very fast paced, fun character introductions and action. It was so good

Like I'm no big fan of Abrams but he was killing it there. Hopefully he has a similar sense of adventure and momentum here

Edit: dislike is a strong word for this. Should rather say underwhelmed

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm happy with this. Almost every time LucasFilm has hired a newbie, things went bad.

JJ will not get bullied, and he will push film to the completion in a timely manner.

Toothless

JJ is a solid pick. Sure, I wanted DuVernay, Bird, or Coogler more, but they're all sadly busy at the moment whereas JJ can get to work tomorrow if he wants.

Chris Terrio writing makes me eh tho.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Episode 7 was the most entertaining Star Wars movie I've seen. Rogue One was the most exciting. Here's hoping Han Solo is the most fun (recent directorial changes has me worried). Episode 8 is what I'm hoping for is lightning in a bottle. Episode 9 should really play it safe, something that JJ knows by heart. End it on a high note.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Surprised by this, honestly. Seemed like he was done with it after the last one, and his wife was really against him doing something like that again.
There's so much money in this. So much damn money.
Apparently he loved VIII and regretted turning down directing it when he saw the script, so that's probably helped turn him around as well.

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
Episode 7 is my favorite Star Wars film -- and I think it is the best Star Wars film. But I have concerns about the writing credits here.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You're trying really hard for this film, I'll give you that.
How am I trying really hard? None of those things were in the old films. It was very well shot, with a great score, wonderful acting and actually had something to say about the series itself and the new generation it's tackling. To say it did nothing surprising is straight up BS. You could try refuting the points instead of being a lazy cynic. Because chocking up a SW film's quality based on originality is straight up lazy. And straight up misses the point.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
By the way, considering how the supposed talks were only happening today according to the initial report (which was probably inaccurate), I have this funny image in my head of JJ ominously sitting by the phone for several hours this morning, waiting for it to ring just so he can say 'yes.'

I enjoyed episode VII and Rogue One well enough, but there are so many red flags with the upcoming movies. Ron Howard? Chris Terrio?

daveo42

Banned
I wonder just how safe JJ and Disney will play the final film now. I mean, TFA was a pretty damn safe film in terms of new versus copying the old. I expect just as much, if not more this time around to keep the door open for even more sequel films.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Force awakens was a boring ass opener to a new trilogy only fitting we get a boring ass closer.

This is the safe / smart move for Lucasfilm & Disney. Say what you will about Force Awakens (I loved it) but it was a massive success and brought Star Wars back into the forefront of film / pop culture. Bringing the man who was responsible for that success to ensure this trilogy ends in a satisfactory way for everyone involved is a no brainer.

Azoor

Not sure why are people complaining when Jurrasic Wolrd was far worse than The Force Awakenes.Colin Trevorrow is an inferior director to Abrams.

chefbags

A....An...Anakin.

WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME!?

IT'S HIS FATHER'S NAME!

giphy.gif

firelogic

Does it really matter who sits in the director's chair? The end product is probably going to be the same regardless of who's behind the camera. It's not like the director can do whatever they want. They have to stick to the assembly line process of making these movies.

Lach

I'm ok with it. It will be interesting to see what he is able to do when he doesn't have to play it safe. At least not as safe as with EP7

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I disliked a solid chunk of the film when they met Han Solo up until his death (where it picked up again)

But man that first half hour is arguably the best slice of blockbuster Abrams has ever directed. And the best of star wars I've seen since empire too (although as a whole id put it at 4th place or maybe even 5th under phantom). Just very fast paced, fun character introductions and action. It was so good

Like I'm no big fan of Abrams but he was killing it there
Yeah, precisely. The opening and closing thirds are great blockbuster fun, middle is aimless spinning its wheels.

I think he can make another good movie. I just hope it's less of a remix than TFA was. That made sense for the first chapter in a trilogy following the despised prequels, but by the conclusion I hope we'll be in a different place. Super 8 and TFA were both in that remix territory, so I'm not optimistic.

Does it really matter who sits in the director's chair? The end product is probably going to be the same regardless of who's behind the camera. It's not like the director can do whatever they want. They have to stick to the assembly line process of making these movies.

Yes it 100% matters

Anyways yeah TFA dies when Han shows up and marblemouths his way to death

Alienous

Didn't seem to be the case with Han Solo's movie.

Solo

Good, solid, reliable choice.

LMAO at those upset it isn't Rian when you haven't even seen his movie yet.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Anyone upset with this needs their head examined. Just ONE WEEK AGO Trevorrorrrorwor was directing this thing. HUGE improvement. Yes, would have liked Rian to come back, but JJ going to conclude this trilogy like a man on a 20 day deathstick binge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom