• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Juan Antonio Bayona is officially attached to direct the sequel to Jurassic World.

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Colin Trevorrow on Twitter

My opinions + news roundup:
---
About Bayona

kmeYR8F.png

Bayona previously directed 'The Orphanage', which is an acclaimed Spanish Horror film produced by Guillermo del Toro, as well as 'The Impossible', a disaster drama set during the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami starring Naomi Watts & Ewan McGregor

You can watch the trailer for his upcoming movie 'A Monster Calls' (Sigourney Weaver, Liam Neeson, Felicity Jones) based on the YA novel by the same name, here: https://youtu.be/jAheNjylHjM

IMO Bayona has proven his chops by expertly blending raw horror, vivid drama, poignant visuals, and impactful character moments together with phenomenal direction, driving compelling stories; all elements which are integral to creating a great Jurassic Movie. Further, he has worked with child actors in all of his films, bringing out surprisingly great performances which are particularly noticeable in 'The Impossible'. This is important as every prior Jurassic Park movie has had at least one child in a leading role, and it is unlikely JW2 will break that mold.
About JW2

While little else has been announced about the much anticipated 5th Jurassic Park movie, Colin Trevorrow has previously revealed some details, alluding to the concept of cloning dinosaurs becoming 'open source', and the plot being inspired by Alan Grants iconic "Dinosaurs and man, two species separated by 65 million years of evolution have just been suddenly thrown back into the mix together. How can we possibly have the slightest idea what to expect?" quote. He has also suggested that the series is due for a change of scenery, and can not just be people running from dinosaurs on an island.

Trevorrow, director of Jurassic World, is returning as a producer alongside Frank Marshall and Steven Spielberg, and is writing the screenplay with Derek Connolly. Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard return to star, and while not officially announced, BD Wong is expected to make a reappearance as Dr. Wu. Jurassic World 2 released June 22nd, 2018.

BumRush

EXCELLENT choice. I love the horror-esque atmosphere (when it's there) in the Jurassic films. He'll take it to the next level.

Akahige

The Impossible had great acting, the characters were real human beings. Aleast one improvement over the first movie already.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Good move. The Orphanage and The Impossible were terrific movies, and the trailer for his next movie looks great too.

LQX

Wow, the more interesting news from that is that "A Monster Calls" calls was made into a movie. Awesome. The book was great and the trailer looks fairly accurate.

Oh yeah, its good to have more dinosaurs. Hopefully they have feathers this time around.

SeanC

Dude is great, but so was Trevorrow going into it.

The script is where the problem comes in, not the director. JW had 9 writers working on it and they couldn't bring it together as it was developed and produced into junk. Hopefully the sequel will get us a good script this time.

Get good writers, some creature designers that actually give a shit, and involve people who actually like dinosaurs and I might be interested.

Wow.

I might actually enjoy this!

Jurassic World was an abomination and I'm terrified that Trevorrow is laying his hands on Star Wars... still holding my breath for a director changeup

Hopefully women will get better treatment in JW2 than they did in JW1.

Oh and more likable child characters. Especially the older kid who kept trying to be unfaithful to his loving gf back home in JW I found irritating as shit and felt deserved more the cruel death the female assistant needlessly got instead.

Hell, the "bad" guy in JW got a more honorable death (off screen and a vague blood splatter) than the poor assistant who's only sin was doing her job and, judging from this movie, being a woman.

Also: lolhighheelslol.

Oh and more likable child characters. Especially the older kid who kept trying to be unfaithful to his loving gf back home in JW I found irritating as shit and felt deserved more the cruel death the female assistant needlessly got instead.

Hell, the "bad" guy in JW got a more honorable death (off screen and a vague blood splatter) than the poor assistant who's only sin was doing her job and, judging from this movie, being a woman.

all of this

I was cheering for that asshole kid to die for most of the film

LQX

What? The first movie had like two female leads no?

Akahige

Wait. Colin listed out the two other people he would have rather had directed. I can't be the only one to find that funny.

inm8num2

Happy for Bayona - got a chance to meet him at a pre-release screening of The Orphanage. He did a very good job with The Impossible as well. Hopefully the script brings in some interesting ideas and doesn't lose itself in the Jurassic War direction to which the franchise is seemingly going.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I wish Juan were still attached to World War Z 2, still, he is a fantastic director and looking forward to his rendition of Jurassic World 2.

What? The first movie had like two female leads no?

Two? You mean Dallas' sister who's only there to tell her how sad her life must be because she chose to not get married and have kids? She was no female lead. She was the kids' mom who was there to provide a reason for the older kid to be a complete asshole and shake Dallas' character around for daring to be childless.

Dallas' character had potential but they threw it down the drain with the mentioned element, having her in increasing states of undress as the movie went on and ohmygod those heels she never took off even when running from a fucking T-Rex.

And do I need to go into detail over the poor female assistant in charge of babysitting the little dipshits (one who was constantly looking to score even though he had a loving gf back home)?

This movie was mean towards every female character with a speaking role, I'm not trying to be funny here.

Two? You mean Dallas' sister who's only there to tell her how sad her life must be because she chose to not get married and have kids?

This is a pretty common thing.

Also don't see how the kids are dipshits/assholes. I tolerated them far more than Tim and Lex. The parents were getting divorced which mostly explains some of the attitude. Zach was bored out of his mind because he didn't care to be there and Claire brushed them off, and Gray was upset because he found mail from divorce lawyers. When he tells Zach this, who didn't know about it as per his reaction when they're talking about it on the tram, it helps them bond more and pretty much from that point he doesn't have that attitude.

Nothing about this is out of place, bad, or nonsensical to me.

Very exciting. The disaster scenes in The Impossible were incredibly intense and had a lot of practical effects too. I wonder if the JW sequel will have more practical elements than the first

SentimentalHopefulCoypu.gif

Very exciting. The disaster scenes in The Impossible were incredibly intense and had a lot of practical effects too. I wonder if the JW sequel will have more practical elements than the the first

I guess it largely depends on the context, I would like to see more practical but it's hard to do practical with some of the things they have the animals doing. Trevorrow tried to have more practical but it's the choice of the producers.

I honestly couldn't tell if that was CG or animatronic, in fact I thought it was animatronic-- and at that point I don't really care. It looked really good and expressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom