• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Juan Antonio Bayona is officially attached to direct the sequel to Jurassic World.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly couldn't tell if that was CG or animatronic, in fact I thought it was animatronic-- and at that point I don't really care. It looked really good and expressive.

You're probably the only person in the world who thought those raptors looked good/practical there :lol

You're probably the only person in the world who thought those raptors looked good/practical there :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WybsG0TgPQ

I just don't see how. That looks super detailed and great. When he plays with the neck it looks like rubber. Not seeing how that's bad CG in any capacity.

Forgive the weird frame rate of the video. But the textures, movement and interaction from Barry is fantastic. Like if this CG is bad then all CG is bad.

The Orphanage is really good and has a handful of creepy scenes. I'm not expecting Jurassic World 2 to feel like a Spanish horror film, but it would be nice if the producers would let him get a lot more intense with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WybsG0TgPQ

I just don't see how. That looks super detailed and great. When he plays with the neck it looks like rubber. Not seeing how that's bad CG in any capacity.

Forgive the weird frame rate of the video. But the textures, movement and interaction from Barry is fantastic. Like if this CG is bad then all CG is bad.

Detailed? Yes. Great? Nah. That just doesn't look good or real, very unnatural. I don't hate CG when done right at all, but this definitely isn't an example of done right.

Ridley327

Bayona's direction on The Impossible was very strong for that material, both in terms of how he handled the actors (that film was Tom Holland's big debut and he more than held his own opposite Naomi Watts) and depicting the disaster as it was happening and during its aftermath. It's probably too much to hope for a JW2 with that kind of intensity, but I don't think Universal would go after Bayonoa if they weren't at least interested in what he could bring to the franchise.

Bayona's direction on The Impossible was very strong for that material, both in terms of how he handled the actors (that film was Tom Holland's big debut and he more than held his own opposite Naomi Watts) and depicting the disaster as it was happening and during its aftermath. It's probably too much to hope for a JW2 with that kind of intensity, but I don't think Universal would go after Bayonoa if they weren't at least interested in what he could bring to the franchise.

It could just be natural for him whether the studio likes it or not, and I can't imagine why Universal would be against someone making an intense Jurassic Park film.

No fucking way.

It isn't a better movie, but it's the first time I've been excited for the series since the first. I simply despise The Lost World on every level. JP3 is... well, JP3 lol. I like it as a swift, quick action movie and nothing more. Jurassic World's story actually gave me something to talk about.

This scene in The Impossible really, really reminds me of the T-Rex breakout in the original from a tension-building standpoint, even down to the shots-- like when you see the wave in the window reflection with the trees swaying and stuff. I'm looking at this and am like yeah it's no wonder why they considered him.

Do we have a title for this yet? Do we know when it can be expected?

I think the Jurassic World title was known around two years before the film came out, so maybe this summer? Plot details leaked like crazy for that one too.

I wonder if Fernando Velasquez will reteam with Bayona as he scored both The Orphanage and The Impossible. I'd love Giacchino back, but Velasquez is terrific and I'd be down for that shit.

jelly

Scenes in The Impossible were amazing. The panic in the water, the aftermath, really pulled my strings. Hope he isn't lumped with a crap script

Wow.

I might actually enjoy this!

Jurassic World was an abomination and I'm terrified that Trevorrow is laying his hands on Star Wars... still holding my breath for a director changeup

I love how people are dead-convinced that Trevorrow will be fired from Star Wars just because they personally disliked Jurassic World.

I love how people are dead-convinced that Trevorrow will be fired from Star Wars just because they personally disliked Jurassic World.

It isn't a hated film. It has haters like anything. The Force Awakens has haters. You'd think that the movie sucks based on recent threads.

Ridley327

Some of his themes and ideas were in the film that weren't in the others. I think in spirit definitely.

They've spread around so much from even the first book between the films that I can't even imagine that Crichton would have been all that upset with JW if he was still around. He definitely knew that the paycheck was a hell of a lot more important than the movies adapted from his works being slavish to the text.

They've spread around so much from even the first book between the films that I can't even imagine that Crichton would have been all that upset with JW if he was still around. He definitely knew that the paycheck was a hell of a lot more important than the movies adapted from his works being slavish to the text.

The movies are completely different, so yeah. JW did have one scene that was lifted almost directly from the first book, when Wu is talking about reality vs. theme park attractions.

SoldnerKei

really looking forward to this, mostly because of how this guy handles the "horror" on The Orphanage, some dinos are hella scary, I would like to see more scary/horror/tension moments in this film

jb1234

I wonder if Fernando Velasquez will reteam with Bayona as he scored both The Orphanage and The Impossible. I'd love Giacchino back, but Velasquez is terrific and I'd be down for that shit.

Velasquez's more recent scores have been Zimmerized and are pretty disappointing. If he's allowed to write with his own voice, it could be a great score. But Giacchino is a reliable choice as well.

Velasquez's more recent scores have been Zimmerized and are pretty disappointing. If he's allowed to write with his own voice, it could be a great score. But Giacchino is a reliable choice as well.

Hm, which? His scores for The Impossible and Crimson Peak were really good and not "Zimmerized." I'm a huge fan of Giacchino's Jurassic World score, but with a different kind of director like Bayona they may as well get a different kind of composer for a series like this, like Velasquez.

Also his Orphanage score is just downright gorgeous.

jb1234

Hm, which? His scores for The Impossible and Crimson Peak were really good and not "Zimmerized." I'm a huge fan of Giacchino's Jurassic World score, but with a different kind of director like Bayona they may as well get a different kind of composer for a series like this, like Velasquez.

Also his Orphanage score is just downright gorgeous.

Listen to Hercules (2014).

jb1234

Oh eh, haven't heard it. All I know everything I have heard from him is terrific, personally.

Yeah, it's probably not an issue. The franchise has a history of full-bodied orchestral scores and Giacchino certainly wasn't asked to sound like someone else.

0DyErUD.jpg

Just look at this badass. I for one welcome our new Jurassic overlord.

Henkka

Banned
Would be nice to see them use practical effects for basic crap like this:

Instead of using obviously fake looking CGI for non-moving dinosaur heads.

But after the Flintstones movie reject Apatosaurus puppet maybe it's for the best.

"They should use practical effects!"

"This practical effect they used looked like crap!"

Yeah, why do you think it looked bad? I guess the dying dino moved so slowly, a puppet made sense. But the raptors are constantly flinching, snorting, growling and so on, eyes darting around. I suppose they could be a mix of practical and CG, but I doubt that a full puppet would make sense for a scene like that.

I hope Masrani comes back as Mecha-Masrani or something, Irrfan Khan was glorious in the first one. I would almost not even mind a retcon of his death lol.

"They should use practical effects!"

"This practical effect they used looked like crap!"

Yeah, why do you think it looked bad? I guess the dying dino moved so slowly, a puppet made sense. But the raptors are constantly flinching, snorting, growling and so on, eyes darting around. I suppose they could be a mix of practical and CG, but I doubt that a full puppet would make sense for a scene like that.
The Jurassic franchise used practical effects in similar situations in the past to great effect. Nothing of what they were going for was outside of the scope of what animatronic dinosaurs had been used for in the past. Maybe use a mix of both if you really need to, but the only thing CGI only accomplished in those scenes was to make it look like the human actors weren't touching anything at all. The CGI dinosaurs were over-animated in the movie in general and mostly off model to how the animals moved and acted in the previous films, so less of that constant rubbery fidgeting would be only a good thing.

And the apatosaurus looked like crap because one, it's a poorly designed creature with big dead puppet eyes, and two, it was shot in a poor fashion that emphasized how fake it looked. A big hunk of rubber lying in a field. Speilberg had the right idea for the Triceratops in JP--if you want something to look real, throw some dirt on it.

The difference is night and day.

B33

Banned
It isn't a better movie, but it's the first time I've been excited for the series since the first. I simply despise The Lost World on every level. JP3 is... well, JP3 lol. I like it as a swift, quick action movie and nothing more. Jurassic World's story actually gave me something to talk about.

Jurassic Park is the best movie of the series by far.

The Lost World is better than Jurassic World because of Spielberg, although both of the scripts are bad. Trevorrow can't hold a candle to Spielberg.

People hated it two years before it came out. Some as soon as the director was announced. I wouldn't call that surprising :p

I like Safety Not Guaranteed and wanted Jurassic World to be good. It's a bad movie.

Agreed, unfortunately Trev had to beg to even get that. If they're gonna make half assed ones I'd rather just have full on CG. The CG raptor heads looked way better than that animatronic.

...IMO.

The Lost World is better than Jurassic World because of Spielberg, although both of the scripts are bad. Trevorrow can't hold a candle to Spielberg.

I don't agree at all. Spielberg is better, yes. Trevorrow's film had much better content to me, and nothing that I found downright bad. TLW is full of things I find downright bad. That's how I'm looking at this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom