• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

Toa TAK

Banned
Feathers were considered early on. I'm bummed they didn't use them for at least some of the designs.

That interview is worth reading for other cool bits beyond the feathers mention also.

On another note, I can't recall if this was ever posted.. I wish I knew who did it!

e7YhZfr.jpg

Salt in the wound.

Fuchsdh

Feathers were considered early on. I'm bummed they didn't use them for at least some of the designs.

That interview is worth reading for other cool bits beyond the feathers mention also.

On another note, I can't recall if this was ever posted.. I wish I knew who did it!

e7YhZfr.jpg

Still look goofy to me, and I think that's part of the point—Jurassic Park pretty much solidified a certain look for dinosaurs for a lot of people, and I don't think they could change that. (As Wu says, they're really just the gussied up versions of dins people *want* to see, rather than the actual truth.)

If you're going to do feathers, especially from a practical effects standpoint, I imagine they would have been much closer cropped so you don't have to worry about the feather physics or them clipping/self-collisions, etc.

I think those raptors look cool as fuck.

But I also think if Jurassic does feathers, they shouldn't touch the Rex/Raptors. Those designs are iconic in cinema, and synonymous with the Jurassic brand. Introduce new feathered species alongside the classics.

If they do feathers, I hope they go exploratory with the implementation - create some crazy fantastical designs, embrace the weird almost otherworldly beauty of dinosaurs.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Still look goofy to me, and I think that's part of the point—Jurassic Park pretty much solidified a certain look for dinosaurs for a lot of people, and I don't think they could change that. (As Wu says, they're really just the gussied up versions of dins people *want* to see, rather than the actual truth.)

Agreed. I just want my fantasy dinos, regardless of how true the science is behind it. It's all sci-fi and I just prefer my giant lizards.

judhudson

Thank you for the bump. Finally finished off the Jeep - all but two things: a lightbar and a winch, which will come eventually.

Apologies for the large pictures

12308400_10208224492669606_612421137741827304_n.jpg

12308552_10208224493229620_7398949700744481280_n.jpg

12314052_10208224493629630_666699828888813231_n.jpg

12316351_10208224494069641_5247001350940943266_n.jpg

10404385_10208224494709657_6690783636492026815_n.jpg

So, let's talk potential Jurassic World sequel directors.

Universal/Trevorrow/Spielberg were looking into smaller Horror film directors, orginally circling J.A. Bayona - now that fell through due to his commitment to World War Z 2. I'm not sure if there's any credibility to this, but I more recently heard buzz about 'It Follows' director David Robert Mitchell being considered.. That would be an interesting pick.

Who here has seen Krampus? I fucking loved it, and wouldn't be surprised or upset if its director, Michael Dougherty, is in consideration.

Finally got the JW Blu ray. What's with the intrusive ads in the upper right corner of the menu? Any way to turn that crap off?

Jawmuncher

I still bet we're gonna see both Jeff Goldblum and Sam Neill at some point. Part of the huge reaction to Star Wars Episode VII is the older cast still being there. Universal would be dumb to not follow that idea up. I know JW want's to be it's own thing. But you can incorporate older characters and still have the spotlight on the newer cast. I just hope we can see both Sam and Jeff in the same movie. Sucks they haven't seen each other since the first movie from what we know.

I just can't see Grant being any use, or having any reason to be involved post JP3. But if they can work it out in way that isn't cringe-worthy, I'm game.

You know, as a Costa Rican, I take offense on the fact that everything in Jurassic World (the park,
and I'm not being fully seious :p
) is catared towards USA citizens or mostly English speaking people. You don't see any ticos (Costa Ricans) in there. Even the warnings and anouncements to the public were said in English, and the ride employees (as well as all the ones in the control rooms too) were Americans too. The only guy that might resemble a latino doesn't say a word and is eaten instantly. Fuck that shit!

I have a hard time deciding which is worse in that regard, JP1 or JW. JW does have what I mentioned earlier (workforce and visitors, as well as public announcements), but JP has a scene set in San Jose. That shit was legit offensive. San Jose does not a fucking beach. Such bs.

What is clear is one thing. There are no wealthy people in CR or Latin America apparently in the universe of JP. Not even worthy of consideration to say the warnings in Spanish since there's no way any Latin Americans are in the park.

Fuchsdh

The only guy that might resemble a latino doesn't say a word and is eaten instantly. Fuck that shit!

You talking about the guy right at the beginning with Muldoon? He's black: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0113909/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t18

You're forgetting about Rostagno, the mine guy though! "He's a digger...."

Ignoring the Costa Ricans probably can be explained by knowing the park is going to be a draw for international people. And also maybe the prop guys didn't want to deal with translating a bunch of stuff for everything.

bengraven

I have a hard time deciding which is worse in that regard, JP1 or JW. JW does have what I mentioned earlier (workforce and visitors, as well as public announcements), but JP has a scene set in San Jose. That shit was legit offensive. San Jose does not a fucking beach. Such bs.

What is clear is one thing. There are no wealthy people in CR or Latin America apparently in the universe of JP. Not even worthy of consideration to say the warnings in Spanish since there's no way any Latin Americans are in the park.

The first 50-60 pages of the first novel and a few chapters of the sequel take place on the mainland Costa Rica. Plus, all of the work force is Costa Rican. Um, the blue collar stuff at least. :p

You talking about the guy right at the beginning with Muldoon? He's black: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0113909/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t18

You're forgetting about Rostagno, the mine guy though! "He's a digger...."

Ignoring the Costa Ricans probably can be explained by knowing the park is going to be a draw for international people. And also maybe the prop guys didn't want to deal with translating a bunch of stuff for everything.

A lot of us know English, though.

The Workforce in the control rooms and labs, I get, but like ride employees, not so much. Many of us do know English, you know. And seriously fuck the bs of only saying public warnings in English. We also have wealthy people here, plus there's tons in Latin America. Or do they ask you if you're from the USA at the entrance?

Fuchsdh

A lot of us know English, though.

The Workforce in the control rooms and labs, I get, but like ride employees, not so much. Many of us do know English, you know. And seriously fuck the bs of only saying public warnings in English. We also have wealthy people here, plus there's tons in Latin America. Or do they ask you if you're from the USA at the entrance?

Well, we saw basically no "common" park employees besides I guess the helicopter pilot and drivers right at the beginning.

Had the park been running it would beg the question more.

Well, we saw basically no "common" park employees besides I guess the helicopter pilot and drivers right at the beginning.

Had the park been running it would beg the question more.

We had that guy that worked at the gyrosphere ride. Also the guy that was applying for the job opening at the raptor cage.

Fuchsdh

We had that guy that worked at the gyrosphere ride. Also the guy that was applying for the job opening at the raptor cage.

Oh sorry, I was referring to JP. Yeah, in Jurassic World it makes little sense (if anything I'm sure there's some wages reason to hire cheaper workers from the mainland that any corporation would be all over.)

Oh sorry, I was referring to JP. Yeah, in Jurassic World it makes little sense (if anything I'm sure there's some wages reason to hire cheaper workers from the mainland that any corporation would be all over.)

Thought it was obvious I was talking about JW since I mentioned the public warning during the bird attack. All those that don't speak English are fucked, but like I said before, maybe they don't allow non USA people inside :p

strafer

Yes there was.

“Due to a containment anomaly, all guests must take shelter immediately!”

Anyone that doesn't know English = fucked :p

由於遏制異常,所有客人都必須立即採取避難

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Finally watched it.

LOVED it.

Those last fifteen minutes with the Raptors and T-Rex are bloody brilliantly. Loved the end.

T-Rex is king.

Kalentan

Just saw Jurassic World for the first time tonight.

I really liked it! I had some problems with some of the characters and a bit too many cuts at the start of the movie...

BUT! I liked it over all and thought the scene where they go back to the old park was really cool. Also that final action scene was amazing!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Jurassic World is still my favorite movie this year.

Likewise. I mean, I liked Star Wars, but I was never a huge Star Wars fan, past them being good movies. Seeing JW for me was like seeing The Force Awakens for many.

Already excited with Shin Godzilla and the Monster Island movie... Ahhh it's good to be a giant reptile fan!! (New Gamera looks great too!)

Toa TAK

Banned
I just want to say how much of a major crime it is that the bonus feature that covers both the making of sound effects and the music are relegated to the damn Target bonus DVD. That's something that should've been on the Blu-Ray itself to begin with. :( Same with the rest of the features on it.

Jawmuncher

Likewise. I mean, I liked Star Wars, but I was never a huge Star Wars fan, past them being good movies. Seeing JW for me was like seeing The Force Awakens for many.

Already excited with Shin Godzilla and the Monster Island movie... Ahhh it's good to be a giant reptile fan!! (New Gamera looks great too!)

Pretty much, this year Jurassic World was my Star Wars.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
The merchandise keeps flowing! Safeway has their Valentines stock in already, and I saw JW Valentines cards (with stickers!) I might even grab a box and give my friends cards or something.

Jawmuncher

The merchandise keeps flowing! Safeway has their Valentines stock in already, and I saw JW Valentines cards (with stickers!) I might even grab a box and give my friends cards or something.

Nice hope it keep up decently until the big dump for JW2

bengraven

Third time watching it. I still fucking love this movie, despite the overwhelming hate from my peers.

What a great year for films.

eH1LEJY.jpg

7UZrBwZ.jpg

First look at the Hybrids range. So it's just a retool/repaint, but the paintwork is above anything in the Jurassic World lineup prior.

I really like what they did to the 3D bluray.

3D

Regular Bluray

It kills me that this transfer is not available outside of the 3D master.

Top Bottom