• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just as Xbox finally starts getting support from ATLUS and Square Enix, Capcom turns its back — but why? (Windows Central, Cope & Corden)

cireza

Capcom have been supporting properly Xbox for a very long time. If their conclusion for all these efforts is that it is not worth the investment, I think this is fair as they did make a lot of efforts to begin with. Are they making this conclusion right now ? That might be the case. It is up to Xbox and Microsoft to do something in that case, unless they want to see a major publisher like Capcom ignoring their platform in the future.

However, concerning Square-Enix for example, that have alienated their own Xbox fanbase several times by not releasing games, what can you hope to accomplish when you give the middle finger 1 game out of 3 to your supporters on a platform ? Show some consistency for at least an entire gen, and then draw your conclusions. But don't act like people are not supporting the company when you are skipping several major games just because you want some quick money.

Last edited:
And coincidently don't hold the brand accountable, and blame another till this day. Huh. Would ya look at that.

Ironic.

Frustrating, too. I'm a big fan of old-school SEGA but I can't stand SEGA fans who act like their fall from consoles was everyone else's fault but SEGA's. Even a cursory glancing-over of history would show that SEGA were the driving force behind their own demise (as a platform holder).

It just gets embarrassing to see a lot of SEGA fanboys ended up becoming Xbox fanboys and fell into all the same usual traps.

I'm pretty sure Capcom has the precise sales data.

Oh of course; that's why it's funny seeing the people who pretend companies like Capcom, Square-Enix, etc. don't know what's best for their own games when it comes to supported platforms. These companies have 2+ decades of sales data to rely on.

However, concerning Square-Enix for example, that have alienated their own Xbox fanbase several times by not releasing games, what can you hope to accomplish when you give the middle finger 1 game out of 3 to your supporters on a platform ? Show some consistency for at least an entire gen, and then draw your conclusions. But don't act like people are not supporting the company when you are skipping several major games just because you want some quick money.

Uh, Square-Enix did exactly that for the vast majority of last gen. When they realized how little the Xbox platform contributed to their revenues and profits, they were more than happy to work with SIE on that FF7 Remake exclusivity deal.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Capcom have been supporting properly Xbox for a very long time. If their conclusion for all these efforts is that it is not worth the investment, I think this is fair as they did make a lot of efforts to begin with. Are they making this conclusion right now ? That might be the case. It is up to Xbox and Microsoft to do something in that case, unless they want to see a major publisher like Capcom ignoring their platform in the future.

You've been told this many, many times....this isn't a fucking club, this is not some picnic or any weird shit like this, THIS IS BUSINESS!

They need to move enough units on a platform to continue such support.

So this whole idea of Square "derrr give the middle finger" they have no ode to support any platform just because.

When they get consistent sales on a platform, you'll see that support right back, but the company imho, is putting out as much titles as makes actual sense based on the platforms actual sales of their titles.

So this whole "show some consistency for at least an entire gen" lol nahhhh, show some actual solid sales for an entire gen, no publisher needs to go out wasting a fuck ton of money to convince gamers to buy games. They have several platforms where those users fully support those concepts and have never skipped a beat for generations on that type of support.

So they are right to skip a platform if its not making them money.

That is the fucking point of this man.

Its a business. Not a club.

onQ123

Did you wonder why CoD didn't launch on the Game Cube?

Unless you are really young, you would have remembered that there was a time when it is not given that a console would get third party game support. It only gets done if it makes money.

When a console struggles, they lose third party support. This is normal. it just had not been relevant for a few gens so the young kids didn't know that.

People really don't understand that MS had to make that big move to keep Xbox alive because even Activision would be threatening to abandon Xbox at this point because the ROI just isn't there right now. Even for Xbox ROI on Xbox isn't good enough & that's why we are seeing a push to get games on Mobile, Switch & PS5.

Last edited:

cireza

You've been told this many, many times....this isn't a fucking club, this is not some picnic or any weird shit like this, THIS IS BUSINESS!

They need to move enough units on a platform to continue such support.

So this whole idea of Square "derrr give the middle finger" they have no ode to support any platform just because.

When they get consistent sales on a platform, you'll see that support right back, but the company imho, is putting out as much titles as makes actual sense based on the platforms actual sales of their titles.

So this whole "show some consistency for at least an entire gen" lol nahhhh, show some actual solid sales for an entire gen, no publisher needs to go out wasting a fuck ton of money to convince gamers to buy games. They have several platforms where those users fully support those concepts and have never skipped a beat for generations on that type of support.

So they are right to skip a platform if its not making them money.

That is the fucking point of this man.

Its a business. Not a club.
You can keep your ridiculous 3 years old opening statement for yourself.

This is because it is a business that you have to try for real for a decent period of time, especially when you are releasing series of games.

Of course they will be right to skip Xbox if they don't make enough money, this is my exact conclusion for Capcom. However Capcom have been much more consistent with their releases. Square Enix certainly not.

EDMIX

This is because it is a business that you have to try for real for a decent period of time, especially when you are releasing series of games.

Nah, no the fuck they don't.

They have no ode to continue to put out games for this amount of time to teach a whole ass platform what those games are.

They either want to buy them, or not. They provided that time, didn't get the sales they wanted and moved on.

Just like Ubisoft stopped putting M Rated type games on Nintendo systems. They tried, it didn't work, thats it.

You'll see the exact same thing happen here if those numbers do not stay solid. Support is not a fucking default given, support is based on continued sales.

edit. You are not even giving any real logical reason why they should waste the fucking money.

How many generations does it take for a platform to know what JRPG is? Or fighting game? They had generations to see if they wanted that shit or not man, it sound to me like the install bases for those genres is pretty set and each platform has made their vote man. I don't blame any publisher for moving on regardless of platform if its just not working out.

#GetInWhereYouFitIn

Last edited:

cireza

Nah, no the fuck they don't.

They have no ode to continue to put out games for this amount of time to teach a whole ass platform what those games are.

They either want to buy them, or not. They provided that time, didn't get the sales they wanted and moved on.

Just like Ubisoft stopped putting M Rated type games on Nintendo systems. They tried, it didn't work, thats it.

You'll see the exact same thing happen here if those numbers to not stay solid. Support is not a fucking default given, support is based on continued sales.
You are basically saying exactly the same thing as me. Support is based on continued sales indeed. Continued sales implies continued releases.

Let's say you built some interest in your series, Final Fantasy. People like the games and want to play them. They bought FF XIII trilogy on 360, XV on One. You got your continued sales. And then you skip Xbox with FF VIII and FF XVI. What are players going to do ? Well, they are going to do exactly what Sony want : buy a PS5.

Then you eventually decide to release FF XVII on Xbox, but oh no, sales are bad. How can this be ? Well you shifted your own public to another console with the two previous games. Of course sales are going to be bad, and you end up selling less and wonder if supporting the platform is worth it ar all.

Last edited:

EDMIX

They bought FF XIII trilogy on 360, XV on One
You got your continued sales

Yea, you got continued um..low sales

That is why they started to skip the system.

They tried, it didn't work out....smh.

I'm not sure why that is some mystery to you lol

boy bye

Sounds to me like that ^ is what got them to stop doing them day 1 releases man. They didn't not fucking shift shit, the public already decided by a tune of 80% that they wanted to buy those games else where and clearly the install base on XB did not play that IP or genre to the same degree, thus sold lessor by comparison.

Thats it...

Last edited:

cireza

Yea, you got continued um..low sales

That is why they started to skip the system.

They tried, it didn't work out....smh.

I'm not sure why that is some mystery to you lol

boy bye

Sounds to me like that ^ is what got them to stop doing them day 1 releases man. They didn't not fucking shift shit, the public already decided by a tune of 80% that they wanted to buy those games else where and clearly the install base on XB did not play that IP or genre to the same degree, thus sold lessor by comparison.

Thats it...
Well, seems fair to skip Xbox in that case, you are probably right.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
You are basically saying exactly the same thing as me. Support is based on continued sales indeed. Continued sales implies continued releases.

Let's say you built some interest in your series, Final Fantasy. People like the games and want to play them. They bought FF XIII trilogy on 360, XV on One. You got your continued sales. And then you skip Xbox with FF VIII and FF XVI. What are players going to do ? Well, they are going to do exactly what Sony want : buy a PS5.

Then you eventually decide to release FF XVII on Xbox, but oh no, sales are bad. How can this be ? Well you shifted your own public to another console with the two previous games. Of course sales are going to be bad, and you end up selling less and wonder if supporting the platform is worth it ar all.
Chicken or the Egg?

You need a playerbase to justify a port but that playerbase isn't there so you skip the system but by skipping the system you fail to cultivate that playerbase that is required to justify the port.

Xbox's solution to breaking this cycle was to quite literally pay Japanese Developers to port their games to the system however thanks to the Activision Blizzard purchases Microsoft is no longer interested in wasting money that way.

To compound this issue if you were already a Japanese Developer/Publisher who was already hesitant in releasing on the Xbox platform some of them might scrutinize the closure of Xbox's only Japanese studio as an abandoment of the region so you got even less people willing to tangle with a dead console that never took off in Japan.

cireza

To compound this issue if you were already a Japanese Developer/Publisher who was already hesitant in releasing on the Xbox platform some of them might scrutinize the closure of Xbox's only Japanese studio as an abandoment of the region
This was obviously the worst signal they could send to Japanese publishers.

Last edited:
I don't really see the issue. The majority of games come to Xbox. Capcom included. MH Wilds, RE 8, RE 4 Remake, RE 2 Remake, Dragon's Dogma 2, etc. It seems like it's just a few people whining about small niche games like Ace Attorney. Not a huge market for those on Xbox, but never say never. But trying to say Capcom is snubbing Xbox somehow, it is just factually not accurate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom