• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadowfall Press Preview Thread

~Kinggi~

Banned
Wonder what type of production is going on at Guerrilla right now. How much money being pumped into this bitch. It looks good, damn good.

stryke

So Jim posted an article with the various Neogaf GIFs this morning. He attributed the GIFs to an article on Gamepur. Someone in the comments on that article mentioned Neogaf, to which the author responded that he didn't source them from Gaf.

So essentially we've got a chain where Revision 3 posts the footage, Gaffers turn it into GIFs, some mysterious middle man reposts them elsewhere, Gamepur reposts them again and then finally Jim reposts them on Destructoid.

They sure get around!

Gamepur gets all its news from neogaf.

LuuKyK

He is totally right about the reflections, it was ok in forza but it looks really bad/immersion breaking in killzone.

I am not questioning his thoughts about the game, to each its own, was just impressed (in a bad way) about the last part os the post. Thats all.

What? in what reality do you see name overs cars while driving?

You are saying in Killzone the x-ray effect is a real-world thing? You are seeing someone behind the wall, and at the same its reflecting the light in the oposite side of the wall?

ROFL.

Dont even need to answer. I'll not shit this thread like you guys do in XB threads. Say hello to my ignore list.

I hope you are joking, because this is idiotic behavior.

pixelbox

I'll say I'm a little disappointed with the visuals not because of animations but just lacking that next gen feel. But then again, that's my overall feelings lately but I'll reserve judgement. I have a sneaky suspicion the final build will blow me outta the sky.

Vire

VentureBeat Interview: Why Killzone: Shadow Fall will feel like Berlin during the Cold War
I'll say I'm a little disappointed with the visuals not because of animations but just lacking that next gen feel. But then again, that's my overall feelings lately but I'll reserve judgement. I have a sneaky suspicion the final build will blow me outta the sky.
Did you watch the Revision 3 video? Still not impressed? If so, that's fine.

I wouldn't expect much different from a final build though considering they said this was an almost 100% final build.

I am not questioning his thoughts about the game, to each its own, was just impressed (in a bad way) about the last part os the post. Thats all.
Yeah...forza was being mocked in a driveclub thread and only because a xbox fan posted that infamous screen space hud gif

shinnn

He is totally right about the reflections, it was ok in forza but it looks really bad/immersion breaking in killzone.

For me its ok on both.

The crazy thing is someone say its wrong in one game, and ok in the other, when its the EXACTLY same thing.

iN8VmTRKD4ZqO.png

For me its ok on both.

The crazy thing is someone say its wrong in one game, and ok in the other, when its the EXACTLY same thing.

iN8VmTRKD4ZqO.png
Yea it is so wrong. And man this pic is just wow....they should have removed the ssr. It looks just as horrendus as the rain.

Can you please post the forza 5 ssr gif please?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
For me its ok on both.

iN8VmTRKD4ZqO.png

I wouldn't have even noticed it if it wasn't for this shot. I probably won't notice it in game either.

Yea it is so wrong. And man this pic is just wow....they should have removed the ssr. It looks just as horrendus as the rain.
Horrendous? Really? The rain looks bad, this is just a high quality reflection being out of place.

For me its ok on both.

http://i5.minus.com/iN8VmTRKD4ZqO.png[/IMG[/QUOTE]

It's not the same thing at all , one is a FPS set hundreds of years into the future with advance tech .
The other is a driving simulator try to get as close to real life as possible .
I think it looks rather stupid in both but there not really comparable .

Yea we have seen him walk around a forest area (gamestop leak). Lod etc all seem perfect and the original beach attavk demo of course.

Much easier to do when all the player can do is walk down a hallway with invisible walls (i.e., a linear corridor). The scope of Ryse and the scope of this game are night and day. One involves corridors and the other is practically open world.

If I remember correctly, there is actually no lod in Ryse; they were only able to pull that off because of the narrowness and linearity of the environments.

Vire

It's not the same thing at all , one is a FPS set hundreds of years into the future with advance tech .

For comparison of the same effect in Forza:

Numbers reflecting on the hood looks really out of place to me in something that is supposed to be a real life simulation.

The good thing is you can turn off the numbers/name display and you don't have to use X-ray mode, both are optional.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I feel your feel, friend. I feels it.

In terms of budget, have they given out ballpark numbers of what their budget is for this game? $50-70 mil? $80+ mil?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Love that colors are being embraced this generation.

Much easier to do when all the player can do is walk down a hallway with invisible walls (i.e., a linear corridor). The scope of Ryse and the scope of this game are night and day. One involves corridors and the other is practically open world.

If I remember correctly, there is actually no lod in Ryse; they were only able to pull that off because of the narrowness and linearity of the environments.

You are wrong....Cry engine doesnt work like that. Ask kkrt00 he works with it s lot

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dude you cannot be serious!! You are such a techie...watching those visor reflections pop up again and again was absolutley highly disappointing

My mind just read it as the lights inside the building. I never even realized that it was the reflections from the illuminated enemies. Even now with it pointed out, it's not distracting to me since I still register the enemies as being lit up when I look at them despite knowing that doesn't make sense within the fiction.

It may also be similar to LoD pop, just plain something I don't focus in on much and don't notice. SSR is kind of new to me since I'm not a PC gamer.

Vire

I feel your feel, friend. I feels it.

In terms of budget, have they given out ballpark numbers of what their budget is for this game? $50-70 mil? $80+ mil?

I think Killzone 2 had a budget of 50 million, so you can extrapolate from there with next generation asset development costs.

I wouldn't have even noticed it if it wasn't for this shot. I probably won't notice it in game either.

Horrendous? Really? The rain looks bad, this is just a high quality reflection being out of place.

it just nit picking

both (I'm guessing Forza's thing too since I don't know) don't need the reflections
they use more power by having the reflection there in the first place

it doesn't mean the hardware is laking in fact it is quite the opposite

if it is more common then it is likely a dev forgetting to remove it as the issue rather then a "oh we have a issue with the game running such and such"

You also don't see the enemy x-rays having a reflection so it could well be a glitch

Sanke__

No chance.

Halo CE is an all time classic with a Metacritic rating of 97. It was a new franchise that set a crazy high bar for console first person shooters.

Killzone SF, while incredibly pretty - isn't in the same league. I expect high 80's, maybe low 90's if the critics are in an especially good mood.

yeah i know it cant be as revolutionary as halo combat evolved but i'm thinking that maybe it can be as much of a franchise builder (because honestly in the minds of anyone that isnt a playstation fan, i feel like killzone doesnt even exist yet)

and if we are bringing metacritic into it, i'm thinking 92-94 (unless the multiplayer is mediocre and it falls it to that weird place where it would have gotten better reviews if it wasn't included at all)

Full disclosure:
killzone 2 is my favorite online multiplayer fps ever

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think Killzone 2 had a budget of 50 million, so you can extrapolate from there with next generation asset development costs.

KZ2 was also in development for longer than this was, although the team for this was 125 compared to 100. Probably similar budget.

shinnn

They are both the same thing. A visual tool to help the player. Something that is virtually inputed in the player vision, that should not be reflected in the real-world of the game.

If you want get close to real-life on Forza, just turn-off the player names over the cars.

Then again, I'm out. Its not worth discussing if you guys just want to attack me. The guy just pissed of people in the Forza thread and I found disgusting how different he acts here.

My mind just read it as the lights inside the building. I never even realized that it was the reflections from the illuminated enemies. Even now with it pointed out, it's not distracting to me since I still register the enemies as being lit up when I look at them despite knowing that doesn't make sense within the fiction.

It may also be similar to LoD pop, just plain something I don't focus in on much and don't notice. SSR is kind of new to me since I'm not a PC gamer.

It has nothing to do with pc gaming. It is just a stupid effect that should have never been used.

Anyway i am going to play this on hard and i will treat this owl like the listening mode hack in tlou (to be avoided :p hopefully you can disable the owl)

Norml

I can't believe I'm reading this right now...

So in a universe where Mechs, Airships, Rail guns, cloak and stealth technology exist, X-Ray vision isn't possible?

GTFO

Of course it is.
(Phys.org) -- A surveillance device that uses WiFi radio waves has been devised to see through walls to detect, in military and surveillance parlance, moving personnel targets. The device serves as a radar prototype designed by two UK scientists at the University College London (UCL). The scientists devised the radar prototype as a way to track Wi-Fi signals in order to spy through walls. Their device identifies frequency changes to detect the moving objects. An important feature of their work is that since the device itself does not emit radio waves, it cannot be detected; it operates in stealth.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2012-08-see-through-wall-surveillance-wifi-shown-ucl.html#jCp

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It has nothing to do with pc gaming. It is just a stupid effect that should have never been used.

Anyway i am going to play this on hard and i will treat this owl like the listening mode hack in tlou (to be avoided :p hopefully you can disable the owl)

Probably the same for me. I've never used listen mode in TLoU.

I disagree about SSR though. I love the way it adds reflections to everything.

NBtoaster

No? It makes sense in the context of the universe. The x-ray is part of your heads up display within the fiction.

You aren't in some alternate reality in Forza, it's supposed to be a real life simulation.

As far as gameplay goes, X-Ray thankfully does not have to be used at all throughout the entirety of the campaign. I played all of The Last of Us without listen mode on surviver and I plan to do the same here.

It doesn't make sense. The X-ray is part of your HUD, it can't add reflections to the world you're viewing behind that HUD.

I haven't seen this game since the initial reveal gameplay (outside of some multiplayer .gifs), and I'm actually impressed how this is turning out. I am a bit concerned about the difficulty level with the robot tagging along and what it can do, but it might not be that big of an impact. Some of the A.I. seemed to be a bit lackluster in the Rev3Games footage as well, but it was also an easier difficulty.

And do we really have to devolve into this console war nonsense. Shame that we have to treat these drive bys as legitimate and protected opinions.

It doesn't make sense. The X-ray is part of your HUD, it can't add reflections to the world you're viewing behind that HUD.

Right, but here's two things to have in mind. First, is it something that is really going to detract from your gameplay? Second, that was in response to someone trying to (and succeeding a bit) into instigating a console war by saying how much better Forza's same issue looks.

Vire

what is happening here? this xray? this shit better not be in multiplayer. someone please explain.

There are custom games that have it and others that don't. You can filter which on you want.

For single player, it's optional. (You have to initiate it yourself)

They are both the same thing. A visual tool to help the player. Something that is virtually inputed in the player vision, that should not be reflected in the real-world of the game.

If you want get close to real-life on Forza, just turn-off the player names over the cars.

Then again, I'm out. Its not worth discussing if you guys just want to attack me. The guy just pissed of people in the Forza thread and I found disgusting how different he acts here.

You were dead wrong for even discussing Forza in this thread in the first place, especially in the combative nature you exhibited. Totally off topic and totally uncalled for. Now you are trying to play the victim; no one asked for your "Forza justice" in here.

what is happening here? this xray? this shit better not be in multiplayer. someone please explain.

you can use the owl to find targets.... since your a shadow marshal

in MP it is limited to the scout class temporarily as in for a small time
and used also in order to see tea-mates location

of course it can be disabled in MP

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I haven't seen this game since the initial reveal gameplay (outside of some multiplayer .gifs), and I'm actually impressed how this is turning out. I am a bit concerned about the difficulty level with the robot tagging along and what it can do, but it might not be that big of an impact.

And do we really have to devolve into this console war nonsense. Shame that we have to treat these drive bys as legitimate and protected opinions.

The nice thing about the OWL is that you can choose to use it however you want. I probably will use the X -Ray sparingly if at all but I'll definitely be using the zipline and flashbang abilities frequently. If this game allows you to ignore some of the more powerful features of the OWL without making the game unfairly hard then it should appeal to a lot of different types of players from casual to hardcore.

Vire

The nice thing about the OWL is that you can choose to use it however you want. I probably will use the X -Ray sparingly if at all but I'll definitely be using the zipline and flashbang abilities frequently. If this game allows you to ignore some of the more powerful features of the OWL without making the game unfairly hard then it should appeal to a lot of different types of players from casual to hardcore.

I hope there is a menu option to straight up disable it. I know you have to press the button, but it was nice to have the disable menu option like in The Last of Us.

That way, I'm not even tempted to use it.

I just caught up with the thread and all the news.

This game looks insanely good. I'm having a really hard time deciding whether to play this or Knack first on launch day lol

Top Bottom