• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Games: The Final PS I Love You XOXO

Literally, lol.

Everyone outside of gaming? So the few people who've heard of Colin because they're:

1) Huge fans of History: Wikipedia Edition

And

2) Listen to shows where they put "SJW" "free speech" bullshit in the title of the episode.

Hmmmmm... "Everyone" out of those people? Might actually be a true statement.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The "outrage" started out as a few people telling Colin that the joke was in bad taste and they didn't find it funny. Once Colin doubled down and called people "humorless sacks of shit" if they didn't think his comedic genius of a tweet was LOL-worthy, that's what set people off. He was looking for backlash from the beginning. Not sure which KF communities you're looking to, but I've seen equal parts disappointment in Greg and a "good riddance" mentality to Colin. His antics had no place in a community that was founded on trying to be one of the most positive communities on the internet, so it's no surprise that Greg and co. wouldn't defend Colin when he's actively trolling.

His response was overly agressive, but dear God his initial tweet was so benign, he was obviously just kidding.

His response was overly agressive, but dear God his initial tweet was so benign, he was obviously just kidding.

Just so you know. It's not like people just dislike Colin for that one tweet.

Let's see what I can list:

Constantly disparaging others work history success as a response to criticism.

Challenging people to debate "duels" and calling them cowards if they don't accept.

Constantly stumping for people in the Trump administration while constantly talking shit about democrats despite him being a libertarian.

Criticizing minorities when he's a complete moron (I'm not even going to bother explaining this because he's just an idiot)

Giving zero shits about gaming and being obvious about it for a very long time now despite being an integral part of KF and PSILY.

I was wondering how long it would take this thread to get derailed into a Colin thread.

Gaf doesn't disappoint :p

I only casually listened to PS I Love You but I thought they were a good dynamic. Colin's pessimism balanced out Greg's enthusiasm. Sucks that its ending, but it just wouldn't have been the same show without Colin.

It's great he was kidding, but when people responded (respectfully at first) that it was a joke in bad taste, calling them sacks of shit is a sure-fire way to rile people up. He already had a history of making troll-y posts though, and this was really just the breaking point for a lot of people.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Just so you know. It's not like people just dislike Colin for that one tweet.

Oh I know that, but I think anybody who seriously got offended by that tweet needs to relax. Comedy in general pokes fun at everything and it doesn't have to be malicious. In this case his joke honestly was cheap as fuck but not even remotely offensive.

I also think his angered response was warranted on Twitter there. The guy compared his show to a wingnut shoes where from what I've seen his show is completely tame. I think libertarians are far less evil than Republicans.

Bolivar687

Banned
It's not pretending, Colin did something wrong and was called out about it. When He tried to defend he made himself look even worst than possible.

The fights he's been getting with other personalities really show how Colin really is and it's not a good sight at all. Defending Colin makes you look really bad to and the only one that look bad are the ones on Colin's side with his delusions.

You very clearly are pretending.

If it was so wrong, he wouldnt have been invited on Joe Rogan, back to the Rubin Report, or the dozen other shows he did in the aftermath. If it made him look "even worst than possible," he wouldnt be making over $35k a month while KFG loses 40% of its funding and counting. If it "show how Colin really is and it's not a good sight at all" he wouldnt be speaking at events or enjoy the other opportunities that have opened up for him.

The narrative of fabricated outrage you're still trying to manufacture is so obviously and demonstrably divorced from the reality. It didn't work in March - you have no reason to think anyone will start to believe you in June.

jacobeid

Banned

You're ignoring the fact that Colin has a long history of making overly antagonistic statements on social media to the point that he wrote a long post in August of 2015 vowing to change his behavior and to work to better in that regard.

Welp.

The tweet was the tip of the iceberg that had been building for a few years.

To be quite fucking frank, the only person divorced from reality here is you, but you are free to continue your manufactured narrative, to use words that you love so much.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

If it was so wrong, he wouldnt have been invited on Joe Rogan, back to the Rubin Report, or the dozen other shows he did in the aftermath. If it made him look "even worst than possible," he wouldnt be making over $35k a month while KFG loses 40% of its funding and counting. If it "show how Colin really is and it's not a good sight at all" he wouldnt be speaking at events or enjoy the other opportunities that have opened up for him.

The narrative of fabricated outrage you're still trying to manufacture is so obviously and demonstrably divorced from the reality. It didn't work in March - you have no reason to think anyone will start to believe you in June.

Hate for empathy is marketable as there are a dozen other examples out there which of course you would conveniently ignore. Rotten people have money too, to pay people to justify their own shittiness to them.

jennetics

Can we just move this to off-topic at this point? It's obviously not about Greg and Jeremy's episode, not even closely related to gaming at this point.

Good thing Donald Trump is so free from controversy and does nothing wrong.
I mean how could he? He makes lots of money, he's popular with a lot of people, and he's successful! If those aren't measures of how good a person is I don't know what is!

Colin makes money specifically because he tapped into an unfortunately large market of shitty, similarly minded people out there who are propping him up as a kind of martyr who died so they can continue to make tasteless jokes and never apologize for being assholes "because it's meant to be funny guys!!!".

Lothars

You know what's hilarious that you think Colin is relevant. He's increasingly less relevant to anyone that has taste. He has a fanbase that is so delusional that think he knows what he is talking about. I look forward to the day that you and the rest of his fanbase realize that.

Gator86

Dude is so oblivious. It's just astounding. I was reading his Twitter and you see garbage like:

Colin Moriarty said:
I have no idea how to eradicate racial Islamic terrorism.

Then why are you talking about it!? The current National Security Advisor, as well as dozens of other generals, military advisors, and academics, suggest not using the phrase "radical Islamic terrorism" for a start. It's just mind-boggling he's supposed to be some informed political theorist, yet couldn't be less informed and doesn't bother to do even the most elementary research for things he talks about.

The fact that there's people out there who look to him for information on history and political theory is terrifying. Why not just get information from your dog instead?

jacobeid

Banned
Can we just move this to off-topic at this point? It's obviously not about Greg and Jeremy's episode, not even closely related to gaming at this point.

Feel free to post something about the episode then instead of just complaining to complain. Here, I'll start for you:

Did anyone else find it interesting that companies can "petition" Sony for more trophies to be allowed in their game? Also I wonder where Rocket League would have charted on NPD had Psyonix been a subscriber. It likely would have beat out some AAA games in certain months on various platforms. Would definitely be an interesting "what if" scenario.

Curufinwe

You're genuinely hopeless if you can't see what the joke in combination with the hashtag was signalling to his army of angry alt-right followers. They hated that the videogame industry was using International Women's Day to highlight the importance of an under represented industry group in this way, and it was designed solely to make them feel better about all the discrimination they imagine they face as straight white males.

http://twinfinite.net/2017/03/video-game-international-womens-day/

Curufinwe

The fabricated outrage came from alt-right twitter trolls and MRAs.

The actual opposition came from within the videogame industry that KF was supposed to be working with, which is why Greg, who has to work with those people, was forced to apologize for the infantile and embarrassing behavior of his partner.

You know what's hilarious that you think Colin is relevant. He's increasingly less relevant to anyone that has taste. He has a fanbase that is so delusional that think he knows what he is talking about. I look forward to the day that you and the rest of his fanbase realize that.

I'd argue this thread begs to differ.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'd argue this thread begs to differ.

This is the first thread about him in about 3 months, there used to be at least one a week.

No one on GAF cares about his new show. I forgot it existed until I came into this thread.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
You're genuinely hopeless if you can't see what the joke in combination with the hashtag was signalling to his army of angry alt-right followers. They hated that the videogame industry was using International Women's Day to highlight the importance of an under represented industry group in this way, and it was designed solely to make them feel better about all the discrimination they imagine they face as straight white males.

http://twinfinite.net/2017/03/video-game-international-womens-day/

Lmao yeah I'm totally hopeless because I didn't find the joke even slightly offensive. Sorry I don't align with exactly what you believe

I understand there is context here. I don't know if he was signaling his alt right following as I said in my posts I didnt know all of the details. I'm saying in isolation that joke isn't offensive at all.

Feel free to post something about the episode then instead of just complaining to complain. Here, I'll start for you:

Did anyone else find it interesting that companies can "petition" Sony for more trophies to be allowed in their game? Also I wonder where Rocket League would have charted on NPD had Psyonix been a subscriber. It likely would have beat out some AAA games in certain months on various platforms. Would definitely be an interesting "what if" scenario.

RL definitely would have charted pretty well I imagine, wasn't it often at or near the top of the most-downloaded games on PSN that Colin would go through on PSILY? I'd be curious to know their total sales.

On another note, Dunham gave some pretty bang-on advice for community interaction that the KF guys should likely take to heart - his approach to community in that he makes sure they know Psyonix is listening by dropping notes here and there, etc. is a great way to make sure the community knows you're there and are working to improve.

kai3345

Banned
Lol, so he should say nothing? If he would have initiated the conversation, I would understand.

the harmlessness of the joke that that jack devries dude made doesn't AT ALL warrant the dickishness of colin's response, ESPECIALLY for someone who constantly dogs on the "thin skin" of the left

Lmao yeah I'm totally hopeless because I didn't find the joke even slightly offensive. Sorry I don't align with exactly what you believe

I understand there is context here. I don't know if he was signaling his alt right following as I said in my posts I didnt know all of the details. I'm saying in isolation that joke isn't offensive at all.

Yes you're right. But it wasn't a joke in isolation so you're kinda commenting on something that didn't actually happen, a hypothetical.

Gator86

My eyes keep darting between your post and your tag. The problem with things people say, or in this case, tweet, is that they aren't in isolation. The joke was in the context of a celebration of women in the context of our incredibly sexist society. Nothing has any meaningful if you strip it from context and pretend everything exists in a vacuum.

Ah, you're referring to a different, also shitty thing Colin said. Lot to keep up with on that account.

jacobeid

Banned
RL definitely would have charted pretty well I imagine, wasn't it often at or near the top of the most-downloaded games on PSN that Colin would go through on PSILY? I'd be curious to know their total sales.

On another note, Dunham gave some pretty bang-on advice for community interaction that the KF guys should likely take to heart - his approach to community in that he makes sure they know Psyonix is listening by dropping notes here and there, etc. is a great way to make sure the community knows you're there and are working to improve.

I think that Psyonix does give sales figures every once in awhile, but I would have been curious to see it in relation to others games each month.

Completely agree with you about how Jeremy approached the community. Listening to him talk, that's exactly what I would want from any company, even outside of video games. That's obviously not possible, but for a small, private company like KF the advice was spot on.

Side note: has Jeremy ever gone more in-depth about his time at Zipper? I'd love to hear some stories about the development of Unit 13 and the end of the studio (so much as he could say, obviously).

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
the harmlessness of the joke that that jack devries dude made doesn't AT ALL warrant the dickishness of colin's response, ESPECIALLY for someone who constantly dogs on the "thin skin" of the left

He likened his program to a ludicrous wingnut joke of a show.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
My eyes keep darting between your post and your tag. The problem with things people say, or in this case, tweet, is that they aren't in isolation. The joke was in the context of a celebration of women in the context of our incredibly sexist society. Nothing has any meaningful if you strip it from context and pretend everything exists in a vacuum.

I'm not saying in isolation of the holiday, I'm saying in isolation of who he is, which obviously can make it worse. Look people make jokes like this all the time in similar situations. Looking at it when I first read about the whole situation (because honestly these guys were barely a blip on my radar), and saw that was the joke that set it off, I get why he was annoyed it rustled so many feathers.

As I said above though, his response is overly aggressive (understatement), and his history likely made it worse for his followers. It's still a tame ass joke.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
He likened his program to a ludicrous wingnut joke of a show.

Why should he be offended at that. It was obviously just a joke.... herpy derp.
Maybe Colin better stop being a humorless sack of shit. The obvious reaction should to no be manufacturing outrage.

I'm not saying in isolation of the holiday, I'm saying in isolation of who he is, which obviously can make it worse. Look people make jokes like this all the time in similar situations. Looking at it when I first read about the whole situation (because honestly these guys were barely a blip on my radar), and saw that was the joke that set it off, I get why he was annoyed it rustled so many feathers.

As I said above though, his response is overly aggressive (understatement), and his history likely made it worse for his followers. It's still a tame ass joke.

You're still taking away the context of when or how it was made. Maybe you know lots of people who makes jokes like this (I myself don't outside of my Trump loving coworker), but how many people do you know made that joke on a day celebrating women?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Why should he be offended at that. It was obviously just a joke.... herpy derp.
Maybe Colin better stop being a humorless sack of shit.

There's obviously a difference between saying something in jest and saying something to be malicious. Again forgive me for not knowing context, but the person who tweeted this was a former friend or acquaintance? If there is tension between them he obviously took a shot at him and colin reacted to it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
You're still taking away the context of when or how it was made. Maybe you know lots of people who makes jokes like this (I myself don't outside of my Trump loving coworker), but how many people do you know made that joke on a day celebrating women?

Saying something like that sarcastically? I know plenty of people who make jokes like that completely in jest. I have one friend who is libertarian and literally everyone else I know is pretty far left.

edit-
Ok? Colin can get over it. It's a joke

read post above

Saying something like that sarcastically? I know plenty of people who make jokes like that completely in jest. I have one friend who is libertarian and literally everyone else I know is pretty far left.

It's like you ignored my entire post. Did I ask if you know people who make jokes like this? I assumed you did.

I asked if you know people who made those jokes on that day publicly.

how so? i answered it. Did somebody I know make that particular joke? No it was a ridiculously lame joke, only time I hear one that lame is if they're going for an intentionally poor type joke.

Omg i typed the entire question again even.

The operative word is ON THAT DAY. So are you saying no you don't know of people who made that joke on a day celebrating women?

Well Colin is that kind of special snowflake who would.

mhayes86

I hate reading too much into things, but Colin not being at Greg's wedding and not being his best man weirded me out.

I think Greg and his wife, Jen(??) talked about it in a GoG episode a few weeks ago. They did a court house wedding and were under the impression that they were limited in the number of guests who could attend, so they only had immediate family and their photographer. I don't recall if they mentioned anything about an after party.

On topic: The last episode of PSILY wasn't bad. I wasn't following Beyond until about 2013/2014, so I had no idea who Dunham was. I'm sad to see it go, and am really curious to see what Greg has up his sleeves as a replacement show he'll reveal at KFL3, but the dynamic between Greg and Colin was one of things I really enjoyed with Beyond and PSILY.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
There's obviously a difference between saying something in jest and saying something to be malicious. Again forgive me for not knowing context, but the person who tweeted this was a former friend or acquaintance? If there is tension between them he obviously took a shot at him and colin reacted to it.

Maybe you can ask the person about his intentions which are obviously the most important thing before getting so "outraged". But since it's ok as long as it was in jest I assume he's going to say it was in jest.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Omg i typed the entire question again even.

The operative word is ON THAT DAY.

and I just said no I didn't hear that particular type of joke. I can't remember specific jokes, maybe a few quips here and there? I don't really remember. For instance my friend dates a pretty strong feminist and he will occasionally make a stupid joke like this in jest. I would assume people know when somebody is just giving a hard time/messing around versus actual malicious humor.

Their tag is "incredibly naive."

It's not worth your time. Save your energy.

More like "incredibly intellectually dishonest or disingenuous".

and I just said no I didn't hear that particular type of joke. I can't remember specific jokes, maybe a few quips here and there? I don't really remember. For instance my friend dates a pretty strong feminist and he will occasionally make a stupid joke like this in jest. I would assume people know when somebody is just giving a hard time/messing around versus actual malicious humor.

Lol I give up. You win.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Maybe you can ask the person about his intentions which are obviously the most important thing before getting so "outraged". But since it's ok as long as it was in jest I assume he's going to say it was in jest.

I feel like when the vast majority of people are kidding around or making a stupid joke, they're doing it to kid. That's what "kidding around" is. There are obviously lines that can be crossed, I don't think a joke like that is crossing the line because it's so obviously in jest.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
More like "incredibly intellectually dishonest or disingenuous".

Lol I give up. You win.

Maybe I just don't get it. You asked if I heard that joke on that day, I said no, but I could've heard similar jokes in jest. I don't remember all the details of that day lol.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like when the vast majority of people are kidding around or making a stupid joke, they're doing it to kid. That's what "kidding around" is. There are obviously lines that can be crossed, I don't think a joke like that is crossing the line because it's so obviously in jest.

Yeah for me(cause as long as me and other people think it's ok it's ok herpy derp) I also don't think a joke like that crosses the line since it's sooooooo obviously in jest. Which brings me back to Colin should take his own advice and not be a humorless piece of shit getting upset over nothing.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
When in comedy, you punch up, not down.

So do you think stand up comedy is enjoyable? Do you enjoy shows like always sunny or seinfeld? Where they clearly poke fun at certain people, so obviously in jest, but they still do it. Part of comedy is to make fun of eachother including ourselves.

edit-

Yeah for me(cause as long as me and other people think it's ok it's ok herpy derp) I also don't think a joke like that crosses the line since it's sooooooo obviously in jest. Which brings me back to Colin should take his own advice and not be a humorless piece of shit getting upset over nothing.

yeah but that's not how that works. Their is a difference between attacking someone and messing around with somebody. Friends make jokes like this to eachother all the time, "ribbing" "messing around" whatever the hell you wanna call it. But people get pissed and attack others sometimes.

Top Bottom