• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kine dev: “Valve wants developers that are releasing on other storefronts to have a Steam page”

sol_bad

The horror of launching games via other shortcut and launching some app for 5 seconds.
"DESTROYING PC GAMING FOREVER"

Imho Steam destroyed PC gaming. They were the ones who ensued that no game will be playable without launcher.
Previously it was perfectly normal to buy game and play it without any kind of launcher. And now thanks to Steam every game requires it.

So go off with your bullshit.

I can't vouch for other countries but in Australia PC gaming was definitely dying.
Large shelves for PS2, large shelves for Xbox, medium shelving for Gamecube and an extremely small space for PC games. This was the same at pretty much all retail stores back then.

Im not offended by your gross pathetic insults .. its behaviour thats usually bannable but thats up to the mods if they want to give you a free pass or not.

I am enjoying this thread immensely and your admission of defeat on every single point i made is almost as hilarious as your childish name calling.

I have Steam but i dont have Epic game store but none of that matters .. to you the endless defense of gabe .. which in your terms would be described as a childish homosexual reference .. is more important than anything anyway. A criticism of Stream does not mean an endorsement of Epic Game store except in your punitive fanboy cheerleading worldview.

Edit: removed reference to demigod as id accidentally posted his quote in.

Also, amazing that you consider what I said a "homosexual reference" though, that is some serious reaching right there, immediately playing the victim becsuse you had your feelings hurt and didn't like me calling out your bullshit.

As far as I am aware saying Gabe has "fat sweaty tits" and that EGS shills all "suck the same cheese infested tip of Tim Sweeney" isn't a homosexual slur, I don't even know if you're a man or a woman do I you fucking moron LOL.

I mean, you could say I was fat tit shaming and cheesy bellend shaming, that's probably more accurate.

Dontero

Banned
THIS launcher participates in buying exclusives, limiting consumer choice, price increases and lacks features that even the most basic of launchers have, so no, it's not "just another launcher" it's a company who is actively trying to change the PC market by limiting consumer choice and making it a closed platform.

Care to explain me how does "exclusive" works on PC when i can play it on PC whatever it will be Steam "exclusive" or Epic "exclusive" ? They are not consoles you buy for 500$ but launchers which you run in 5 seconds to 10 seconds at best. Steam simply loses games because they don't offer anything to game developers while there are other stores that do.

Secondly complaining about "exclusives" coming from Steam standpoint is fucking rich. Steam has been enjoying "exclusives" for almost whole its existence. Almost every game that releases on Steam is "exclusive" to steam. Starting with Velve games themselves which you can't buy anywhere else on PC to 100s of others third party games that never considered releasing on anything else because steam is effectively monopoly in PC space.

So no i don't share your anger over few titles that went for Epic. You can always buy them from Epic store and play on your PC.

Third. "Features". Only feature most of people want is to turn on/off game as proven by shitload of other games that never went on steam and are played by millions starting with Blizzard, to other stores like GOG finishing on Epic.
Either way it was never about "features", if Epic will have all steam features the rage will still be exactly the same. It is about games leaving Steam garden and people inability to consider anything else than Steam.

For all of Steams flaws, they still allow consumers to purchase games on multiple services, they still allow purchase of CD keys, they still provide lots of services that no other launchers can match (besides GOG which is the one people should be truly supporting tbh.)

So does Epic store. I bought BL3 key from cdkeys.com and it was epic store key.

Secondly i find it fascinating that someone can attack Epic for lack of features and in same post support GOG which has none of Steam features and multiplayer games barely even work.

Do you know why ? Because thanks to Steam API most of games, multiplayer is tied to Steam API which then make it impossible for GOG to have any multiplayer and even if it works it has no one playing.

Thanks to Epic now developers who choose epic will have to run either cross platform API to get both Epic and Steam players to not divide community. Which in return means that other stores like GOG will benefit as game will not be tied to Steamworks.

This means for example that MetroExodus, BL3 and many other Epic exclusives could be released on GOG completely DRM free with working multiplayer.

I hope there will be 5 other big Epic like stores to completely fuck up Steamworks.

It's not bullshit at all, what's bullshit is the idea that EGS is just another launcher and that they are "good for competition" when the truth is, they are the most anti-competitive company out there on PC currently.

There are few things here.

First of you can't be anti-competetive when you compete. The act of Epic signing deal to fight with Steam is act of competition. That is completely normal in any other kind of business other than games. In fact even games market is ruled like that. Remember recent outrage about key resellers ? Well it turns out that stores have to sign deals with publishers/developers to be legitimate source no ? Last time i checked everyone was up arms about banning or something those key resellers for daring to sell keys outside of official channel. Guess what. It is completely like Epic deal stuff. Publishers/developers signed exclusive deals for Steam nad few other cutting out rest of stores from competition.

The word you are looking is anti-consumer. But again how does it is when you can perfectly buy stuff on PC either way and play without issue ? It shouldn't make any difference to consumer in which shop he buys stuff. All he should care about is availability and final price.

So in the end the word is anti-steam. Yeah it is anti-steam.

I can't vouch for other countries but in Australia PC gaming was definitely dying.
Large shelves for PS2, large shelves for Xbox, medium shelving for Gamecube and an extremely small space for PC games. This was the same at pretty much all retail stores back then.

It was as dying as console games dying myth previously. PC market never shrink a bit. What happened was that retail market started to die out as people moved toward online games and digital goods. When "pc marked was dying" it was same timeframe WOW had record numbers, LoL came into existence which has now more active players a day than Steam has total users active any day. You will never read about it because main gaming press was always concerned by particular part of gaming which was closed 60$ games and those definitely started to die off.

It is the same exact type of myth as console games dying in 80s. It was strictly US phenomenon and even in US it lasted only a little while. And it was not like games were not produced or sold.

Last edited:

Sentenza

The horror of launching games via other shortcut and launching some app for 5 seconds.

Imho Steam destroyed PC gaming. They were the ones who ensued that no game will be playable without launcher.
Previously it was perfectly normal to buy game and play it without any kind of launcher. And now thanks to Steam every game requires it.

Jesus Christ, you are completely clueless.
These have to be water wendi levels of history rewriting, if not complete delusion.

Last edited:

demigod

"You should be banned because you offended me and words hurt my feelings."

Yeah, you're definitely an era poster and I am not buying for one second that you don't use EGS because you're spewing fanboy drivel in your posts, if you don't like being called out for having a stupid fucking opinion then don't post a stupid fucking opinion, pretty simple, people like you are contributing to helping Epic with their shitty tactics that have so far done nothing but harm to PC gaming so don't expect to be met with open arms when your idiocy is allowing a company to take away from the freedom of the platform.

Also, if you don't use the store, why are you shilling so hard for it and shitting on Steam? Let me guess, you don't even game on PC do you?

He's an xbox fanboy that loves to call other people fanboys. He's just butthurt that his xbox games are coming to Steam.

Lort

Banned
Also, amazing that you consider what I said a "homosexual reference" though, that is some serious reaching right there, immediately playing the victim becsuse you had your feelings hurt and didn't like me calling out your bullshit.

As far as I am aware saying Gabe has "fat sweaty tits" and that EGS shills all "suck the same cheese infested tip of Tim Sweeney" isn't a homosexual slur, I don't even know if you're a man or a woman do I you fucking moron LOL.

I mean, you could say I was fat tit shaming and cheesy bellend shaming, that's probably more accurate.
Your got a warning from the mods .. keep it up and youll be banned ...you talk like a 11 year old child repeating insults you dont even understand because nobody likes you at school... and yet you still didn't offend me.

Also you still didnt counter one of my arguments which your hoping people just forgot.

Your debate skills are a Steam-ing pile of Epic fail.

So back on topic.... these pages are to encourage port begging and to try keep Steam relevant in this new competitive landscape.

Lort

Banned
He's an xbox fanboy that loves to call other people fanboys. He's just butthurt that his xbox games are coming to Steam.

I think its great now that MS games are on Steam and PC as now you have pc players agreeing how good they are. You really should get on with your life .. or at least this threads topic rather than trying to attack me.

demigod

I think its great now that MS games are on Steam and PC as now you have pc players agreeing how good they are. You really should get on with your life .. or at least this threads topic rather than trying to attack me.

Cry much? I'm not attacking you.

MMaRsu

Banned

This again? Dude.. you are a clueless shill with about half a brain cell. How are you THIS DENSE?

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
One interesting trend I already noticed several time across many places is how often the people cheering for the rise of the EGS are actually the same ones you'll find in other threads openly stating their love for some console and their complete disregard for anything related to PC gaming, Steam or what else.

And they'll always try to feed you their patronizing clueless bullshit "Like, dude, I don't get it, it's just an icon, what's the big deal?".
Well, mate, MAYBE you could "get it" if you had any familiarity with what people are actually talking about and you didn't spend your days masturbating on pictures of Kaz Hizarai or fantasizing about Reggie readying himself into your body.

surprise surprise

MMaRsu

Banned
Im not offended by your gross pathetic insults .. its behaviour thats usually bannable but thats up to the mods if they want to give you a free pass or not.

I am enjoying this thread immensely and your admission of defeat on every single point i made is almost as hilarious as your childish name calling.

I have Steam but i dont have Epic game store but none of that matters .. to you the endless defense of gabe .. which in your terms would be described as a childish homosexual reference .. is more important than anything anyway. A criticism of Stream does not mean an endorsement of Epic Game store except in your punitive fanboy cheerleading worldview.

Edit: removed reference to demigod as id accidentally posted his quote in.

go fool someone else or show your steam library bruh

Shifty

Oh hey a new storefront topic.

giphy.gif

> Already a 3-page long trash fire thanks to the usual bullshit.

Oh, hey, a new storefront topic...

giphy.gif

Kenpachii

Pretty much, also as somebody that played a ton of mmo's back in the day, it wasn't ununual for every single game to have there own launcher with it.

Those steam shills honestly live in a delusional bubble and have no clue what pc gaming really is / was.

FranXico

Pretty much, also as somebody that played a ton of mmo's back in the day, it wasn't ununual for every single game to have there own launcher with it.

Those steam shills honestly live in a delusional bubble and have no clue what pc gaming really is / was.
That os very true. But how exactly is the Epic making things better? From where I'm sitting, they are just trying be the next Steam in terms of market control.

Kenpachii

That os very true. But how exactly is the Epic making things better? From where I'm sitting, they are just trying be the next Steam in terms of market control.

1) Competition = better prices in the long run for us but also more content.
1) They invest into PC gaming side, which result more money into devs pockets = more support because more financial interest.
2) They give free games away that steam barely or isn't doing at all.

Honestly people have a warped reality around them when it comes to steam. everybody hated there shit client when it came out and didn't want anything to do with it. Yet they where forced to do so to play there counterstrike games etc.

Screenshots of my game account. ( batman = 6 games )

8c318787eb7411f1f190938b688c3e67.png

The problem also exists why people think steam is the n1 thing that ever happened towards PC gaming is because most gamers on these forums are heavily console focused and only discuss consolish games as result. It also doesn't help that most company's are heavily financial supported by early access gated content and will only discuss or mostly discuss console content as a result or put them in prime spots with high lights etc.

Same goes for those "game award shows". They are completely ridicilous biashed as they are heavily financial dependend on the people that try to sell those games. Which makes them corrupt as hell and just nonsense.

But in the reality of things, steam was always yet another shop on pc. There are PC gamers that play 4 hours pc gamers a day every day for already 20 years that don't even have a steam account to boot through zero interest. I know people that only play EA titles or only play blizzard titles and never even heard of steam to start with or hate them because of drm locking there counterstrikes behind it. ( hell it killed of single handedly half life modding community when it was still a thing ).

While we had PS3 /xbox 360 area, everybody was hyperfocused on the next god of war game / uncharted / mario's etc. While in reality world of warcraft was decimating the markets for years on end endlessly. A single patch was more massive then any of those titles in reality.

U can still see this now. Everybody is gloating now over, spiderman, red dead redemption, breath of the wild. While in reality all those games are small games in comparisons towards PC games actually push because that's not promoted and patches are not included in Metacrits or other websites that rate games which makes it completely useless for pc games and again console focused.

A patch in a game like league of legends is leagues more played then any new game any of those sony/nintendo clubs make ( besides pokemon go )

What are the biggest juggernaut games of this generation.

-) League of legends, ( 100m players ).
-) PUGB ( 229m players )
-) Fortnite ( 200m players )
-) minecraft ( 112m players )
-) roblox ( 100m players )
-) Fornite ( 250 million players )
-) Heart stone ( 379 million players )
-) pokemon go ( 147 million players )
-) world of warcraft ( 10 million players )
-) overwatch ( 49 million players )

-) steam ( 90m )

I didn't even talk about GTA 5 online, Fifa, tanks game, that other big online game i forgot its name from ( counterstrike clone ) etc etc.

Yet every forum is talking about 12m sales on spiderman with great voice acting and cinematic missions. while 20-40 hours later they are no longer playing it because they "completed it' and have to wait again for a year to get another title.

Tell a mmo player they get a 20 hours of content update. His first reaction will be ah "nice update, always enjoy a few free new side quests for the weekend".

There are entire freaking stadions rented off where people fight pc games for championships with prices in the millions. Yet console games don't even get close towards this. There are entire ( blizcon ) e3's just for single PC games. Yet u won't hear much about it in the media.

This is also why i mentioned in that other thread that console gaming is on its way out. Microsoft is probably pulling the plug next generation ( after next generation ), and sony will probably also start to move more into the PC sector and mobile sector.

To get back on topic and quit my rant.

Gaming on PC has been far bigger then just "steam" and it has been since forever gaming started on PC. People that are obsessed with steam and can't see another client or install one because for some reason it breaks there mental state. Are just beyond ridicilious hypocritic.

Because if they are afraid china harvest there information, well US already does this with microsoft windows, google already does this with all there software, facebook already does this. But for some reason giving your name towards epic is over the line.

What a joke.

Last edited:

Helios

Ah, yes. The usualy Kenpachii Kenpachii tactic of creating a wall of text arguing with yourself.
Origin - EA Makes 100% Profit
uPlay - Ubisoft Makes 100% Profit
Social Club - Take 2 Makes 100% Profit
Battle.net - Activision Makes 100% Profit
Bethesda - Bethesda Makes 100% Profit
Epic - 3rd Party Publishers / Devs make 88% Profit
Steam - 3rd Party Publishers / Devs make 70% Profit
Gog - 3rd Party Publishers / Devs make 70% Profit

Where would you go?
I would go on as many platforms as possible and let the consumer decide which one they want. But we all know that's not what Epic wants.

Last edited:
Ah, yes. The usualy Kenpachii Kenpachii tactic of creating a wall of text arguing with yourself.

I would go on as many platforms as possible and let the consumer decide which one they want. But we all know that's not what Epic wants.
Sure, that makes sense to you. But you don’t keep developers employed. The people that care about profit do. When you think about people are always sad when a dev studio shuts its doors and want to support devs left and right. But the biggest ways to support them is by giving them the biggest cut of the pie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom