• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami seeking new main staff members for development of new Metal Gear series

FStop7

Banned
After the way Kojima was unceremoniously bounced and had his name removed from TPP, why would game designers of any good repute want to deal with Konami?

pants

After the way Kojima was unceremoniously bounced and had his name removed from TPP, why would game designers of any good repute want to deal with Konami?

I dont think Konami gives a fuck really, they're not going to be looking to push further into the gaming industry, they seem content to ride what they have currently till it's dead then get the fuck out.

Alienous

Well the 'fall from grace' is only really so profound because they treated him like a king prior to this.

They haven't taken anything away from him that the average project lead gets.

R0ckman

Money are money, dude.

What do you mean by the ''west''?

I mean in the western legal system, copyright and all that works a little differently over here and in Japan it's a little more lax. Leaving the company doesn't really change who worked on the project and who'd ideas and input went into it. I could understand taking him off of internal things and off of konami publications, but I don't see how he could be taken off of the credits of something he was a part of.

Konami and Capcom have been like lepers over the years.

Like leprosy, we have seen them lose valuable parts and slowly wither away into nothingness.

i would argue Capcom and SE are at least somewhat correcting their ways..Konami has been irrelevant imo for the longest if it wasnt for Kojima. For the record I liked the first Lords of shadows.

NeonZ

I mean in the western legal system, copyright and all that works a little differently over here and in Japan it's a little more lax. Leaving the company doesn't really change who worked on the project and who'd ideas and input went into it. I could understand taking him off of internal things and off of konami publications, but I don't see how he could be taken off of the credits of something he was a part of.

He probably still is listed in the credits, they're just removing his name from the marketing and covers.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
People who work on a game (for any amount of time) but leave before the completion are cut from the credits all the time in western development.

I'm officially done with MGS after TPP. I hope Kojima is re-energized after TPP, starts a new studio, and takes a lot of his KojiPro talent with him.

lol

I'm a huge fan of analogies and that's one of weakest ones I've ever read.

If your analogy was a sauce it would be water.

What issue do you take with it? Konami is not withering away into nothingness, it is shifting focus.

Trying to compete in the AAA console space as a major focus would be withering away into nothingness.

Ichinii

What issue do you take with it? Konami is not withering away into nothingness, it is shifting focus.

Trying to compete in the AAA console space as a major focus would be withering away into nothingness.

Given the evidence that we have, what other conclusion would you come up with? Don't answer that.

Look at the state of the Japanese console market. Look at what has happened with Square and Final Fantasy for years now. Look at what has become of Silent Hill; Capcom and DMC, Resident Evil, Megaman. You would have to be very naive to trust Konami to do right by MG.
I'm just really saddened by the way things are turning out.

That is a standing policy at Konami. The same thing happened with Suikoden's director/creator. Also, I even saw it done for QA employees when I was a tester.

Konami Latinamerica tweet.

"Some see a crisis, others see/find an oportunity. We know which one is Big Boss."

KGTCXNn.png

AlexIIDX

Ugh, please don't star Big Boss or Solid Snake....People that aren't Kojima are gonna fuck around with the MGS story? I won't buy it. I really won't.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I've never been one to boycott or have intense feelings about a publisher/dev changing or evolving as time marches on but this is like ash in the mouth.

Honestly can't see myself playing a metal gear game without Kojima involved. Won't bite on this spite filled cash in And I feel bad for whatever young gun they throw money at. So much stigma and bad press to work through to be a success.

Shameful.

iMax

Been meaning to ask around here for a while. Is there a really simple primer for those new to the series? Never had a PlayStation so never played MGS before—and I have no idea what the difference is between all these damn Snakes.

Been meaning to ask around here for a while. Is there a really simple primer for those new to the series? Never had a PlayStation so never played MGS before—and I have no idea what the difference is between all these damn Snakes.

Do you have a PS3? Get A Hideo Kojima Game: Metal Gear Solid - The Legacy Collection.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CTKHXFO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It has all the main canon games, including the two very first 8-bit games. MGS1 for PS1 is only included in the form of a download code though. If you only have a 360 you can still get A Hideo Kojima Game: Metal Gear Solid HD Collection. That one includes MGS2, 3 and Peace Walker as well as the first two 8-bit games at least, just not MGS1 and 4.

MGSV is a prequel, MGS3 and Peace Walker take place even before that. All the other games take place after that in order, starting with the two 8-bit games. (It's not really necessary to start with them, if you're trying to get into the whole series, but they're still pretty fun today. You might wanna do them as a bonus somewhere inbetween.)

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Look how much Kojima Productions care about their fans.

I'm a lurker on twitter with zero posts yet Ken followed me back.

Reading tweets like this just break my heart.

2015-03-2020_08_33-kep7jlg.png

2015-03-2020_08_44-kephk52.png

Alienous

"Hideo always mentions that we made a promise with fans, so we have to make a great quality game"

That's sorely missing in this industry. And it would seem even more so now.

As long as Kojima is actually...really...100% working on it till it goes gold - I'll be happy. Lets just hope its not a move by Konami to make it seem like that.
Surely Kojima signed a contract that makes him work on V till its complete...right guise?

DrZeus

Twist:Ueda takes over metal gear franchise and puts out the next entry before the last guardian ships.

:*( @ that even being possible

Alienous

As long as Kojima is actually...really...100% working on it till it goes gold - I'll be happy. Lets just hope its not a move by Konami to make it seem like that.
Surely Kojima signed a contract that makes him work on V till its complete...right guise?

You only have to watch the 'Making Of' videos for previous Metal Gear Solid games to see how draining this time in development is for Kojima and his team. It's incessant bug-fixing, and last minute dialogue re-records and polishing the game.

The notion that Kojima Productions has to go through all of that already draining work, in perhaps the most tiring stage of development, all while knowing that Kojima is going to leave after that (along with who knows how many staff) is depressing. I don't feel like this is going to be a champagne and partying end of development on Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

As much as they might try not to let that affect the quality of the product I don't see how it couldn't.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
You only have to watch the 'Making Of' videos for previous Metal Gear Solid games to see how draining this time in development is for Kojima and his team. It's incessant bug-fixing, and last minute dialogue re-records and polishing the game.

The notion that Kojima Productions has to go through all of that already draining work, in perhaps the most tiring stage of development, all while knowing that Kojima is going to leave after that (along with who knows how many staff) is depressing. I don't feel like this is going to be a champagne and partying end of development on Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

As much as they might try not to let that affect the quality of the product I don't see how it couldn't.

Yep.....

ship it

2015-03-2020_08_33-kep7jlg.png

2015-03-2020_08_44-kephk52.png

ken is a super cool guy and is very interactive on twitter in a positive way. hes even cooler in person too.

Chabbles

At the same time you'd think if this is really Kojima's last involvement in the MGS series(and if he went in from the beginning knowing this), he's gonna wanna create something truly spectacular, really leave his mark and that. create something that would be really hard to surpass when the series continues on without him.. Plus with all this noise going on, it might help the team to focus on the final stages of development as a distraction.

Broritos

I know how it couldn't. It's their last Metal Gear game and their most ambitious game they've ever created. After all these years of development, I veteran like Kojima wouldn't dare to let this situation get the better of him.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Whimsically, I'd like to think they'll put their all in because they want to honour the legacy of the series and its fans.

More realistically, they're 20+ year professionals who've spent a long time trying crafting the most ambitious entry in a long standing series.

Hahs

Konami's really putting this to bed it seems - quick on the draw with the turnover... (expected), but they're in loser denial if they have high hopes of continuing the success of MG - sans KojiPro.

Savitar

Kojima always complained that no one else was willing to take over the reins for the franchise which meant he had to keep doing it. Bet he never imagined it would end up like this in the end.

I think Kojima will open another independent studio and call it Kojima Productions, hence Konami removing the KP logo from the current line-up of Metal Gear products.

Kojima was really on a contractor basis anyway with his KojiPro team - Konami was just the current publisher funding their work. I think he created Kojima Productions just for this reason - in the inevitable event that he parted ways with Konami, he would have a studio and a team to leave with to keep on creating new games.

I can't wait to see what Kojima Productions does next and with what publishers!!!

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Cant believe i bought silent hill two days ago on psn wish i would of went with a different psx game
Well technically speaking Silent Hills can still happen but Kojima would have to find someone to fund the project and the final game would simply not be called "Silent Hills" or have any association with the Silent Hill series.But other than that I don't see nothing else that would stop Hideo Kojiman and Guillermo del Toro from teaming up to make a horror game.

Foffy

Banned

Because of lolmoney.

This is the same company that wanted Castlevania to lose its "effeminate" music tone with the Lords of Shadow reboot. That's a rather shady comment to consider when they were specifically referring to the works of Michiru Yamane, who is a woman. They've been a shitpit for years, it's just Kojima and his team was, quite literally, the last pillar of worth in the company.

Now they're gone, too.

MGS is my favourite series since 1999 when MGS was released in Europe.

I hope he goes on now to make whatever the hell he wants.

Playing TPP will be bittersweet.

IzzyF3

MGS is my favourite series since 1999 when MGS was released in Europe.

I hope he goes on now to make whatever the hell he wants.

Playing TPP will be bittersweet.

I'm most sad that Kojima won't have the same budget like he did at Konami. His games has always pushed hardware to the limits with proprietary engines, but now he's probably going to have to use something like Unreal, and while I loved Evil Within, the game ran like crap.

I feel Hideki Kamiya hasn't made a game better than any from Clover. Hironobu Sakaguchi makes mobile games now, although The Last Story was incredible. I don't know what Yu Suzuki does. Keiji Inafune's Soul Sacrifice is great, but still not as memorable than his work at Capcom. I do love Shinji Mikami's work on Vanquish and The Evil Within though.

There's a mixed bag there, but I feel like corporate money does give a lot of creative freedom to these designers.

Top Bottom