• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami seeking new main staff members for development of new Metal Gear series

BriGuy

Standing...on the edge
of the crater
where Konami once stood...

And the talent
is all gone now
no Hideo...
and Silent Hills good as dead...

Whispers in the air
tell the tale...
of a franchise gone

Desolation, devastation...
what a mess they made
when it all went wrong

Alienous

I'm personally expecting tweets by Hayter saying "Now you know how it feels to get kicked out of something that was tied so closely with your being and career"...

It'll probably be something semi-classy like "I'd like to say good luck to Hideo Kojima. I can sympathize with what it feels like to lose you job you love doing".

Something like that.

Pandy

Kojima isn't someone who'd say: "I’m determined to make it the greatest game I’ve directed to date. Don’t miss it!"

FUCK OFF KONAMI
"Hey Kojima, what's wrong with Wolfie? I can hear him barking, is he okay?"

"I’m determined to make it the greatest game I’ve directed to date. Don’t miss it!"

iMax

CAjpANYWoAAYfr4.jpg

courtesy of molydeux

Alebrije

Do we know what causes this?

Kojima asked to be The Big Boss

Konami said you are just an snake eater

Kojima asked at least to be a militant sans frontiers

Konami replied -You are a Phantom pain

Kojima said this has reached ground zero

Konami said with irony , then go out of here "peace walker"

Kojima just said , I am leaving to create Outer Heaven.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Not really a good trade off if you're losing Kojima-san, is it?
True. But I feel like V was very unkojima like anyway. I went from excited to sort of interested after their initial marketing push started in 2012 which was over three years ago now. I think he lost the touch and the hayter move didn't help the game in my eyes.

Alienous

Speaking of Hayter, he put this as a license plate in his first movie.

B8A5sTkCMAAZyZl.jpg

Dude loves Metal Gear Solid. Seeing Kojima go is highlighting that to me. I'd prefer if he got the choice to be in MGSV.

Sad part is, I half expect the next MGS game by Konami to include Hayer to try and coax old timers into playing it... Especially if it's a MG1 anb MG2:SS Reboot/Remake.

hutna

I know this is most likely NOT how anyone wanted this to happen.

That said I find it strange that some folks won't accept ANY MG game that isn't directed by Kojima. Kojima has pretty clearly communicated that MGS2 was the last game in the series he really wanted to make, so if Kojima got his way we would have already HAD a few MG games that Kojima would not have directed. Of course his relative input would likely have been much more substantial than whatever input in the series he will have going forward now, but I still wonder how much of the fan base would have followed the franchise should Kojima got what he wanted all those years ago.

It's just kind of ironic that it seems like Kojima has wanted to pass to torch for a long time. Now he finally does (not in the way he or really anyone but Konami apparently wants) and fans won't follow the series without him.

Isn't that likely the reason he probably kept being dragged in to make more MG games? If the games are going to be that expensive to make and Kojima's name on the game ensures certain sales of the product, doesn't it behove Konami to insist he continues making the games?

Is the fan backlash against Konami because of the way all of this is going down? Or is it just fans won't play a MG game without Kojima full stop?

Sorry I'm sure this has been mentioned, but do you think the reason why they axed Kojima is because he really wanted to end the MGS series on 5, but Konami told him to make more, Kojima refuses and they say take a hike?

I'm trying to think of what would've caused a 30(?) year collaboration to just go *poof*

Either way, Kojima is a legend and Konami is now a shell of what used to be a great company. Any MGS mainline game will more than likely not ever come close to the insane detail and quality Kojima MGS games had. What a sad story.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Hayter wasnt just a voice actor to MGS. He was also a big part of the marketing in non Japanese areas. Toany of us he was the international representation of MGS projects. He just loved MGS so much. Kojima easily throw him under the bus for a one night stand with kiefer that will never happen again.

Ridill

Well, it seems my run with metal gear will end with TPP. Was a great series! And lol @ people saying we might get hayter now. That is a pretty ridiculous trade out.

FLD

If they keep making them without Kojima, then I hope they at least end the "Solid" line. Start something new. Do a reboot, start a new story, anything. Because I seriously doubt anyone would be able to just pick up where Kojima left off and maintain that level of quality.

Kojima's been wanting to end his work on the series for years so I'm at least happy for him that he finally gets to do that. I'd be okay with his departure signaling the end of the Solid series, especially since Phantom Pain pretty much does exactly that with the story.

But I'd be sad if it was the end of Metal Gear overall. I want Rising 2, at the very least!

That said I find it strange that some folks won't accept ANY MG game that isn't directed by Kojima. Kojima has pretty clearly communicated that MGS2 was the last game in the series he really wanted to make, so if Kojima got his way we would have already HAD a few MG games that Kojima would not have directed. Of course his relative input would likely have been much more substantial than whatever input in the series he will have going forward now, but I still wonder how much of the fan base would have followed the franchise should Kojima got what he wanted all those years ago.

It's just kind of ironic that it seems like Kojima has wanted to pass to torch for a long time. Now he finally does (not in the way he or really anyone but Konami apparently wants) and fans won't follow the series without him.

Isn't that likely the reason he probably kept being dragged in to make more MG games? If the games are going to be that expensive to make and Kojima's name on the game ensures certain sales of the product, doesn't it behove Konami to insist he continues making the games?

Is the fan backlash against Konami because of the way all of this is going down? Or is it just fans won't play a MG game without Kojima full stop?

Well, I think it's mostly about being loyal "to the end", in a sense... People liked Kojima and his take on Metal Gear, and if he was indeed fired like it seems to be the case, people aren't necesarily willing to encourage such behaviour and give money to the guys that fired their favorite franchise's creator..

Personally, I was more than willing to accept MGSV was Kojima's last MGS game and I kinda hoped it would tie everything and be the last MGS game (although I do want a MG1 and MG2:SS Remake down the road)... But the way it's being done, kinda makes me want to boycott any future MGS title...

But really, the thing I really care about with all of this is not MGSV, or MGS sequels... IT'S P.T / Silent Hills... I wanted that game so bad, and now that it's on the chopping block with very small odds of ever being completed, I feel terrible.

I'm actually kinda happy for Kojima... He has enough notoriety to be able to crowdfund a studio, and in a couple of years, he'll be doing exactly the game he wanted to make all along without having to take orders from suits at Konami... If there's one person that I know is capable to build a game and game studio from the ground up ,it's Kojima... Heck, he built Kojima Production L.A recently, he built his own custom engine ... He can do this no problem.

aerts1js

Hayter wasnt just a voice actor to MGS. He was also a big part of the marketing in non Japanese areas. Toany of us he was the international representation of MGS projects. He just loved MGS so much. Kojima easily throw him under the bus for a one night stand with kiefer that will never happen again.

Let's be real; solid snake is going to be in MGSV with hayter as a voice actor.

Konami should really keep the "A Hideo Kojima Game" and the Kojima Productions logo on the box art and marketing for MGSV:TPP.

Reason 1: It is a Hideo Kojima game - his last one for Konami in fact.

Reason 2: "A Hideo Kojima Game" has been on all of the other games in the Metal Gear Saga starting with MGS2:SOL

Reason 3: Continuity and fairness. Hideo Kojima wrote, directed, produced, play-tested, edited and marketed MGSV:TPP. He and his team conceptualized, designed, built and utilized the FOX Engine to make MGSV a reality. Kojima deserves the credit and so does his team.

The Kojima Productions logo has been synonymous with Metal Gear since MGS3:SE and it deserves to banner MGSV:TPP just like it did with it's prologue - MGS:GZ.

End rant.

I feel the problem lays in Konami (a company who needs a golden goose egg right now) having compete control of the series. Even if Kojima did not want to make anymore Metal Gear games he has kept has passion or respect for what he created in line. He still wanted to top his previous works and come out with something better.

Ground zeros seems like a prime example of Konami cutting in and saying we have to release something right now. So its reasonable why fan will feel worried by him leaving the series and Konami not having someone to keep them in line when it comes to creative control. There is a small hope Konami will form a new team and let them do whatever to make something new and great.

hutna

Well, I think it's mostly about being loyal "to the end", in a sense... People liked Kojima and his take on Metal Gear, and if he was indeed fired like it seems to be the case, people aren't necesarily willing to encourage such behaviour and give money to the guys that fired their favorite franchise's creator..

Personally, I was more than willing to accept MGSV was Kojima's last MGS game and I kinda hoped it would tie everything and be the last MGS game (although I do want a MG1 and MG2:SS Remake down the road)... But the way it's being done, kinda makes me want to boycott any future MGS title...

But really, the thing I really care about with all of this is not MGSV, or MGS sequels... IT'S P.T / Silent Hills... I wanted that game so bad, and now that it's on the chopping block with very small odds of ever being completed, I feel terrible.

I'm actually kinda happy for Kojima... He has enough notoriety to be able to crowdfund a studio, and in a couple of years, he'll be doing exactly the game he wanted to make all along without having to take orders from suits at Konami... If there's one person that I know is capable to build a game and game studio from the ground up ,it's Kojima... Heck, he built Kojima Production L.A recently, he built his own custom engine ... He can do this no problem.

Word. Totally agree with everything you say, and I think you're probably right about fans loyalty being more with Kojima himself than his products. I, too, was really excited about what Silent Hills could be. But at the same time the idea of Kojima being free from Konami's IP catalog and not being told what to do by Konami management makes me excited about what NEW things he can create. I hope he still has it in him, and I even more so really hope Kojima can one day realize what I think is his ultimate goal: help create the next generation of creative game creators in Japan. Pass the torch.

Codeblue

Honestly I think all of this is for the better. Kojima gets to do something new and I can stop caring about anything happening at Konami.

MaddenNFL64

Mostly because KojiPro brought the tech, and vision to Konami, and the company is pretty worthless without them.

Kojima asked to be The Big Boss

Konami said you are just an snake eater

Kojima asked at least to be a militant sans frontiers

Konami replied -You are a Phantom pain

Kojima said this has reached ground zero

Konami said with irony , then go out of here "peace walker"

Kojima just said , I am leaving to create Outer Heaven.

giphy.gif

R0ckman

Maybe this should be an entirely new topic, but really with the socioeconomic system the way it is will we really see another Miyamoto, Kojima etc? It's not like it was in the past, small group of geeks making games and being freely creative. It's now a business, more than creativity and with publishers evolved in their current state, its all about squeezing devs, franchises and fans dry to get maximum prophets.

Another thing is that with the economy as unstable as it is, people working in the industry are more worried about finding a job and struggling to stay relevant in the job market, clingy to their job and not about actually being creative and innovative on a passionate level, but more so on a competitive level. The indie scene is probably the only place that is going to give any kind of sanctuary to really creative passionate devs.

Konami and Capcom have been like lepers over the years.

Like leprosy, we have seen them lose valuable parts and slowly wither away into nothingness.

Konami, at least, is more like your friend who stopped playing video games and then decided to get big into health culture because that's what he prefers to do and all the game-playing friends being super angry about it because he only plays like one series now.

Alienous

Konami, at least, is more like your friend who stopped playing video games and then decided to get big into health culture because that's what he prefers to do and all the game-playing friends being super angry about it because he only plays like one series now.

lol

I'm a huge fan of analogies and that's one of weakest ones I've ever read.

If your analogy was a sauce it would be water.

Top Bottom