• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Kong: Skull Island' Trailer (#2) Kaiju v King

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Topo

Looks okay. Feels a bit...disjointed?

I must be the only person on GAF that likes Godzilla 2014. Also Thor 2 isn't anywhere near as bad as you all make out and Andrew Garfield is WAY better than Tobey 47-year-old-playing-a-teenager Maguire.

I kind of have to agree. Godzilla was good, Thor 2 was okay and Garfield *was* way better than Tobey.

PJ's King Kong was one of the best 1 hour 40 minutes movies I've seen. Pity, that its 2 and half hours long.
I still quite enjoy PJ's. Especially the extended cut because there are even more monsters and dinosaurs.

Is it bloated? Oh yes. But damn if i don't ever get tired of watching it.

Monocle

I must be the only person on GAF that likes Godzilla 2014. Also Thor 2 isn't anywhere near as bad as you all make out and Andrew Garfield is WAY better than Tobey 47-year-old-playing-a-teenager Maguire.

Are these comments a semi or perma ban offense?
I agree with all of this. Especially the bit about Tobey "punch me, I bleeeeed" Dweebface. Ugh.

But about Godzilla 2014:

- Bryan Cranston
was killed off way too soon

- Making Fistbeef McWhitebread the main character was a big mistake. I like ATJ but he was terribly generic and uncharismatic in that role.

- Needs moar Godzilla

PJ Kong was also a blockbuster, but more ambitious one at that.
Yes, I suppose. But I think my point applies when you look at blockbusters in general. You shouldn't expect much creativity and innovation from a class of film that's meant to be as broadly appealing as possible.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
*stoically stares at trailer*

Hmmmm. Probably in the minority on this, I liked that more than the first reveal trailer. The whole idea is goofy so I like to see that they're leaning into that a little.

UrbanRats

I like the look of this movie a lot.
The only lame looking thing is the design of those skull crawlers (though i'd like to see them in context).

zoukka

Yes, I suppose. But I think my point applies when you look at blockbusters in general. You shouldn't expect much creativity and innovation from a class of film that's meant to be as broadly appealing as possible.

I guess my standards are higher. I see no value in a production that is not ambitious.

In the case of this particular blockbuster, part of the problem lies in history and in PJ Kong. If there has been a blockbuster about a specific character, the next movies about it should somehow find their place in the timeline, somehow innovate or change the tone or the story that it makes sense for the movie to exist. This just seems to deliver everything at a sub-par level compared to the previous Kong blockbuster.

Pusherman

Looks amazing. Not at all what I expected based on the first trailer but I think this made be even better. Looks like the type of old-fashioned fun goofy adventure movie that doesn't get made enough these days.

ODDI

dude

nmPgNsm.png

JV1FN8Z.jpg
I bet this was John's idea

Apt101

Some striking imagery, makes Kong seem a lot more sinister and a force of nature than the previous.

And wow Brie Larson is in everything now. New "it girl" of Hollywood I guess.

OldRoutes

Looks really good!

Visually it's often very impressive, but I also liked the humor and the tone of the trailer.

Excited for this!

Stormy

Trailer looks great! Was kinda shocked to see John C. Reilly in it, but thought all the humor worked, at least for me it did. Kong himself, and the whole island, looks amazing. Can't wait for this.

Got about half way through before I realized they were going to give away the entire movie so I stopped it. From what I did see, I liked the first teaser a lot better.

JdFoX187

Banned
Cut out John C. Reilly's forced "comedy" and this was a great trailer. I can only hope he's featured only about as much as Charlie Day in Pacific Rim, or even less. I hate studios forcing comedic elements in films like this. First trailer was much, much better. But this is still my most anticipated film of early next year.

JSevere

really love the colors

trailer was good but it was a bit over reliant on John C. Reilly. I'm sure the humor will mix together better in the movie but the tonal whiplash is felt in this trailer

Sephzilla

John C Reilly seemed a bit out of place, but other than that the movie looks really good. The Peter Jackson movie is a movie I really wanted to like, but man, the movie was just too damn long.

DrArchon

Looks good, but then again Godzilla looked really good in the trailers too. All it takes is one or two dumb decisions (killing one of the only decent performances in the film perhaps) to cut the quality of the movie in half.

Kong himself is great of course. I like that it's a huge departure from the PJ King Kong movie in almost every conceivable way, because that story can really only be retold so many times and the big lumbering Sasquatch-like Kong is cooler to me than just a giant normal gorilla.

Far from it.

Getting donged on by giant blood-sucking penises was both horrifying on my first viewing and oddly fascinating. I still go back and watch that scene ever so often because of the sheer horror it embodies. We all have various levels of dislike for insects, ranging from mild contempt to absolute abhorrence. Seeing them blown up to man-size and bigger and actually eating humans? Man alive!

Anyways, the cinematography is gorgeous, there looks like there is a lot of diverse megafauna present, Kong is going to be ALL up in the space the entire time, and JCR's role is a dude who's been trapped on a dog-eat-dog island for a long time and whose sanity is probably slipping so humor is his only relief.

IN.

Godzilla 2014 was fantastic, Thor 2 did not blind me, and Garfield WAS a better Spiderman than McGuire, but not a better Peter Parker.

"Good group of boys you got here. were all going to die. Ha. HAAA . you shouldn't have come here"

LOL

YOO, GOSU WHAT DID YOU DO?! I almost didn't recognize you without your old avatar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom