• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: 98% of PC Copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider Were Bought on Steam

Nyoro SF

I don't see it as good. MS has been at the forefront of gaming for a long time, always find odd how much gamers want to distance themselves from a company they use daily (well most PC gamers).

Steam wasn't always this holy grail for gamers, and MS' store could be great competition. As a developer that frequents into MS owned software I think they can provide great things (and watching them make bigger strides into open source) makes me that much more of a believer.

Gamers so quick to bite a hand they've depended on for so long.

This might be the most elegantly crafted troll post I've seen in weeks.

Either way, ignoring MS's years of broken promises and awful software is a pretty impressive feat.

Freeman

Banned
First thing to do after installing windows is to uninstall the windows store and any stupid app that uses the metro interface, please get rid of that stuff and focus on what always worked.

RPGam3r

MS has not been at the forefront of PC gaming forever. The store COULD be great competition., but it simply isn't currently because of MS incompetence. Your a believer because they can provide great things? lol can;t you say that about anyone? What have they shown to PC gamers that they can provide "Great things"? MS abandoned PC for xbox and now are crawling back way too late, stop blaming the gamers here, this is all MS doing.

How many years have gamers been using the OS that makes most games run in the PC side of gaming? I'm not just talking about a store front.

MS has been around long enough to show a catalog of software proving that are value add and have great potential. No you literally can't say all companies are like MS, few are actually.

I still blame gamers. So quick to hate, so quick to raise the pitch forks. It's old, and I'm going to speak against it. I would rather they have a chance than just let valve run the show.

LewieP

If the numbers are wrong and the Windows App Store is actually doing well, MS need only release some sales data for it.

The arrogance of asking developers to bet their future on UWP without releasing any sales data for any UWP games is astonishing to me.

How many years have gamers been using the OS that makes most games run in the PC side of gaming? I'm not just talking about a store front.

MS has been around long enough to show a catalog of software proving that are value add and have great potential. No you literally can't say all companies are like MS, few are actually.

I still blame gamers. So quick to hate, so quick to raise the pitch forks. It's old, and I'm going to speak against it. I would rather they have a chance than just let valve run the show.

They have a monopoly in the OS space.......Those PC's would have windows regardless. Blaming the consumer is silly, MS has botched this over and over starting with ignoring PC for the "Livingroom", GFWL and now this. Your right so few companies are like MS, how many companies are as wealthy and big yet fail so often outside of their windows monopoly? Other smaller companies totally outsmarted them in the PC and console space.

Gamers are to blame for the pile of turd GFWL and Win 10 store is? It's their fault for going to far superior products? I have heard it all.

Feel bad for the devs, but happy so see MS store fail. It's not just under performing but experiencing a total market rejection. How long before MS pulls the plug? I expect them to double down with this as their last stand for PC success, it's their Waterloo.

jelly

The problem with Microsoft is they just want to be a store that makes billions and nothing else. With all their software and tools, creativity seems like the last thing on their mind when it comes to the store/games. Look at Steam with mods, user content and the marketplace. Couldn't Microsoft think up some collaborative tools and community hubs, foster mods, multiplayer, anything. Push gaming somewhere to make it appealing to get into the Windows Store/Xbox.

Rolodzeo

Windows Store is a disaster. I mean, I have no love for Steam since I don't like DRM, but Windows Store is a really bad joke compared to Steam.

jelly

Feel bad for the devs, but happy so see MS store fail. It's not just under performing but experiencing a total market rejection. How long before MS pulls the plug? I expect them to double down with this as their last stand for PC success, it's their Waterloo.

It would be a disaster if they fail and would put Mobile in the ground permanently as the apps wouldn't trickle down if they actually could get that many. They'll continue with the store forever, no turning back, no other options.

You are missing context and I don't know if you really have no idea about how MS has affected PC gaming in the past or you are just ignoring the history regardless.
PC gaming is all about being open platform and MS has a VERY different view from that. It will never go well if they continue on that track, we can say that much and be certain about that.

From a console gamer perspective MS could be a great company with a great view, I'm not even arguing about that. You have to understand that we are talking about two very different markets here and what MS wants is very far from what PC gamers want. Hope this clears your confusion about why people celebrate negative results here. They just care about PC gaming more than they care about a big corporation.

RoKKeR

This really makes you think how viable MS's Xbox/Win 10 strategy is going forward. Simple Steam integration/allowing the games to be on Steam plus better ports would seemingly go a long way.

Maybe they will use this data as a wake up call.

Cant all be cheery news pre E3 week I suppose.

ps3ud0

With people mentioning DR4 and the inevitable Win10Store version, is there any potential pushback that Capcom could employ in their contract (assuming its a XO exclusive) that meant the PC version either features on both Win10Store and another service or foregoes the store completely?

They own the IP and Im sure theyd want to keep it as healthy as possible when DR5 becomes an idea, I cant see how Win10Store exclusivity does anything to aid that.

Hmm now Im wondering if this is what SE did with RotTR

ps3ud0 8)

mike6467

Does anyone remember the early days of Steam?

I hung out at a LAN center (WOO EARLY 2000'S) a ton back then, and then worked at the same place doing tech/register work. In reality they just paid me to watch the place since I was there most of the time anyways, but I digress....I recall the general consensus for quite some time was that Steam was a half baked system riddled with bugs and downtime. Had CS not required it, it's debatable if it would've taken off at all. I can't remember when the bitching turned to "Won't buy without Steam," but it definitely wasn't overnight.

Origin was similar, maybe worse, or maybe only perceived to be worse because it was in Steam's shadow. It's now graduated to second best and generally acceptable (followed by UPlay? Maybe only by default? I haven't used that one in awhile but I remember it being terrible).

I'm not saying fuck Microsoft, or that their store is going to turn around and be the best thing ever. I'm just reminding people that all these services have taken non-trivial amounts time to get to a good place. Plus the whole competition generally being pro-consumer thing.

tskeeve

You realize that Windows is the gaming default because it held a virtual monopoly in the PC OS space, right? It's not like MS had to incentivize game developers to support the Windows platform. I almost can't help but think you're trolling, given that the implication of your post is that PC gamers should be thankful/forgiving towards MS because Windows enjoyed an OS monopoly for decades.

Parsnip

With people mentioning DR4 and the inevitable Win10Store version, is there any potential pushback that Capcom could employ in their contract (assuming its a XO exclusive) that meant the PC version either features on both Win10Store and another service or foregoes the store completely?
If the DR4 rumors are indeed true and if a PC version is happening, I don't see Capcom being too receptive to the idea of it being exclusive to the winstore, considering their history with Microsoft's previous PC gaming push.

I'd probably put my money on it releasing on both Steam and Win10Store, assuming MS has held their course by the time the game even comes out.

I don't see it as good. MS has been at the forefront of gaming for a long time, always find odd how much gamers want to distance themselves from a company they use daily (well most PC gamers).

Steam wasn't always this holy grail for gamers, and MS' store could be great competition. As a developer that frequents into MS owned software I think they can provide great things (and watching them make bigger strides into open source) makes me that much more of a believer.

Gamers so quick to bite a hand they've depended on for so long.

Looks like someone isn't living in reality.

Have you even looked at all the so-called "promises" that Microsoft made towards PC gaming & PC gamers?

Link.

That should be proof enough. It's been going on since 2005.

Deadbeat

Banned
And even after this they will probably send Dead Rising 4 to its death by making it Windows 10 App Store exclusive
If MS writes a big enough cheque I could see Capcom doing it. I mean why not? Its not like Dead Rising lights up the sales charts anymore on any platform.

Armaros

You realize that Windows is the gaming default because it held a virtual monopoly in the PC OS space, right? It's not like MS had to incentivize game developers to support the Windows platform. I almost can't help but think you're trolling, given that the implication of your post is that PC gamers should be thankful/forgiving towards MS because Windows enjoyed an OS monopoly for decades.

Or the Irony that many of the MS store supporters use Steam's 'monopoly' as a reason to support MS paltry efforts.

And then you get such drivel as PC gamers should be thankful that MS has had an OS monopoly for so long.

Cognitive dissonance is a hell of a thing.

LewieP

I'm not saying fuck Microsoft, or that their store is going to turn around and be the best thing ever. I'm just reminding people that all these services have taken non-trivial amounts time to get to a good place. Plus the whole competition generally being pro-consumer thing.
Microsoft have been selling PC games digitally since 2009 and have always done a bad job of it.

It's quite impressive that it's managed to get worse though.

RPGam3r

I'm not trolling and I laugh at this group think that someone being positive must be trolling. I look at MS as more than just their PC gaming efforts. I like their OS the most, and they have competition but apparently that doesn't count. I spend a lot of time in their dev stack and have watched them make great strides with their software.

I think their efforts outside of some gaming blunders shows their potential. I'm not going to shit on them when they're down bc I think they have a lot to offer.

MUnited83

For you.
Does anyone remember the early days of Steam?

I hung out at a LAN center (WOO EARLY 2000'S) a ton back then, and then worked at the same place doing tech/register work. In reality they just paid me to watch the place since I was there most of the time anyways, but I digress....I recall the general consensus for quite some time was that Steam was a half baked system riddled with bugs and downtime. Had CS not required it, it's debatable if it would've taken off at all. I can't remember when the bitching turned to "Won't buy without Steam," but it definitely wasn't overnight.

Origin was similar, maybe worse, or maybe only perceived to be worse because it was in Steam's shadow. It's now graduated to second best and generally acceptable (followed by UPlay? Maybe only by default? I haven't used that one in awhile but I remember it being terrible).

Once again: MS had 10 years to improve GFWl and they did nothing.

And a Store that basically only deals in exclusives (with the rare exception) isn't actual competition at all. The closest Steam has to true competition is GOG.

As it stands Windows store being so far behind the other stores make Windows store look so much worse. Only thing MS can do is improve the store as fast as possible and hope it works properly one day . Will likely never be the main go to store but at least dont give people obvious reasons why not to go to the store .

tskeeve

I think their efforts outside of some gaming blunders shows their potential. I'm not going to shit on them when they're down bc I think they have a lot to offer.

I respect a positive attitude, but I'm just lost here. What has MS done for PC gaming that justifies your optimism?

RPGam3r and mike6467 turning this thread into a dumpster fire. Good job homies, your posts are so ridiculous that people mistake them for trolling.

What MS is doing is not what Steam, Origin, or GOG are doing. Ms is attempting to tie up games to a poison pill called UWP that is not fit for the purpose of gaming. Trying to compare the two is absurd and you're being rightfully shit on for it.

Red

I wonder if Microsoft is going to run the same sad path with the Windows store as they did with GFWL.

Durante

No reason it couldn't be uwp on steam
People actually like Steam because it provides a huge number of useful features. It provides many of these features (including Steam controller compatibility, remote play, streaming, screenshots, in-game messaging and more) by means of injecting the Steam overlay into the processes it starts.

clamj00ce

Banned
I'm not trolling and I laugh at this group think that someone being positive must be trolling. I look at MS as more than just their PC gaming efforts. I like their OS the most, and they have competition but apparently that doesn't count. I spend a lot of time in their dev stack and have watched them make great strides with their software.

Based on their previous efforts, They don't. UWP needs to die a very fast death.

Lazaro

If MS writes a big enough cheque I could see Capcom doing it. I mean why not? Its not like Dead Rising lights up the sales charts anymore on any platform.

Id expect a similar situation to Tomb Raider. Although Microsoft may make the Xbox/W10 game Cross-Buy compatible this time in order to promote the upgraded Xbox and W10 store.

It's not about the store people. It's about UWP. I would buy from the WinStore if they gave me win32 apps no matter how shitty the store is as long as the game is good. A lot of people do that already with GOG, Origin and Uplay.

Moonstone

Of course, and I use the store as much as possible. I think the only thing I haven't used it for is Chrome and Office 365. I'm a fan of uwp.

So what is the benefit for a (Desktop/Laptop) PC user? Probably cool for touch interfaces and for surface. But I don't even see the need to create a store account ... ?
What's better if you download skype from the store than from download.net?

IMO - there is no need for a unified store as windows/pc was working for decades without it and people are used to that. If I set up a new PC I use ninite and install the rest manually. Store wouldn't be much help. Would just be another site. But maybe I'm just not their target audience ...

Sure - there are some benefits regarding security and the likes - but average Joe ignores this anyways (which is the root of the problem). I do get the idea - but I don't understand the USP of the store.
On Android/iOS you are pretty much forced to use the stores. It's cool that MS allows other options, but that also renders their whole store idea useless. Nobody needs that, IMO.

Don't think that the majority of gamers cares that much about mods like I or other gaffers do.

But there isn't even a selling point for the average guy to even go to the store.
Everything is available on other sites (besides the "exclusive" games). And exclusive UWP apps are in most cases even worse than the alternatives (Minecraft for instance).

RPGam3r and mike6467 turning this thread into a dumpster fire. Good job homies, your posts are so ridiculous that people mistake them for trolling.

What MS is doing is not what Steam, Origin, or GOG are doing. Ms is attempting to tie up games to a poison pill called UWP that is not fit for the purpose of gaming. Trying to compare the two is absurd and you're being rightfully shit on for it.

Well it's quite easy to be enthusiastic about UWP when you barely play on pc:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=205701023&highlight=#post205701023

clamj00ce

Banned
It's not about the store people. It's about UWP. I would buy from the WinStore if they gave me win32 apps no matter how shitty the store is as long as the game is good. A lot of people do that already with GOG, Origin and Uplay.

Same for me, It's just UWP I can't stand it's vile.

Hari Seldon

What is funny is, giving away win10 for free, uwp, the store... it is all to sell phones that they have no market share at all in. MS is just a disaster.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
What is funny is, giving away win10 for free, uwp, the store... it is all to sell phones that they have no market share at all in. MS is just a disaster.

Well depends what you mean by disaster. Its only third largest company on the planet.

Nerrel

Damn right. After the original Xbox One and now all of the anti consumer bullshit of Windows 10, I want Microsoft as far removed from PC gaming as possible. 98% sold on Steam is even better than I could have hoped for.

Top Bottom