• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Next Assassin's Creed codenamed "Empires"; set in Egypt, coming 2017

Oooh the Egypt setting should be interesting. I hope they can cheat and somehow include Iltani, the Babylonian assassin who killed Alexander the Great.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I would kill for an Assassins Creed that stars Haytham for the entire experience.
There's a book for that. He assassinated templar traitors so it would've worked.
HkEKm1u.jpg

BKG

Banned
Ohh man this is great news. Just started playing Syndicate and I am really enjoying it. I am glad we are going backwards in time, it seems like Ubisoft was speeding ahead towards the 20th century. I have been saying I wanted to have an AC game in ancient Rome for years! Start as a gladiator and earn your freedom etc..The potential of a new trilogy in ancient Egypt, Rome & Greece would be INSANE. Hype levels definitely rising again, just make sure you nail the present day Ubi

Neoxon

While this rumor does seem interesting, this part kinda worries me (from the original 4chan rumor).
PC, PS4 and Xbone. Not sure if they'll ever port it to whatever Nintendo makes next.
Doesn't speak well for the outlook of western third parties concerning the NX Platform. Not unexpected, sure, but still disappointing.

NoKisum

ACC India in 7 days on PS4 XONE PC ;)

ACC_SCR_INDIA_Viewpoint_wm.jpg

Holy shit, now this looks interesting. This is what I meant by interesting locations, not some stoic Western European city like the last few we got.

And it comes out very soon? Why is no one talking about this?!

Crossing Eden

I'm confused about the series. Is there ever a time the protagonist is a templar?
tumblr_nl7wz5tbDI1qcxzu2o1_500.gif

AC:Rogue=templar protagonist.

Holy shit, now this looks interesting. This is what I meant by interesting locations, not some stoic Western European city like the last few we got.

These games seem to have no marketing budget. ._.

While this rumor does seem interesting, this part kinda worries me (from the original 4chan rumor).

Doesn't speak well for the outlook of western third parties concerning the NX Platform. Not unexpected, sure, but still disappointing.

I don't think we could have expected anything else, really. Not without Nintendo digging into the old war chest and paying for development and marketing partnerships right out the gate.

After the Wii and WiiU, Nintendo have a lot to prove when it comes to making a viable platform for third parties.

It's a bit chicken and egg of course, since they can't get an audience without the games, and they can't get the games because they lack an audience for them, but we'll see soon enough if Nintendo are willing to try and do anything to fix the problem, or just move away from the Western side of the industry entirely.

I don't think one extra year is enough time to completely overhaul the franchise and make it any where near TW3 or Fallout 4 quality in terms of world building. Color me skeptical.

Neoxon

I don't think we could have expected anything else, really. Not without Nintendo digging into the old war chest and paying for development and marketing partnerships right out the gate.

After the Wii and WiiU, Nintendo have a lot to prove when it comes to making a viable platform for third parties.

It's a bit chicken and egg of course, since they can't get an audience with the games, and the can't get the games because they lack an audience from them, but we'll see soon enough if Nintendo are willing to try and do anything to fix the problem, or just move away from the Western side of the industry entirely.
That's what I've been saying these last few months. Granted, I'm a bit disappointed that it's actually panning out, but I guess that's the situation Nintendo's in.

Harlequin

If it (or its sequels) is also set in Greece and Rome then I think it's quite likely to take place in Hellenistic Egypt (meaning 305-30 BC when Egypt was ruled by the Macedonian Ptolemies) or perhaps even later when Egypt was under Roman rule. I mean, if they go much earlier than that, then Rome really won't be a very impressive sight. Perhaps it's set during the downfall of Ptolemaic Egypt under Cleopatra VII?

Either way, sounds really interesting. I just hope they still keep things somewhat historically accurate/authentic. I'm a little fed up of recent portrayals of ancient Egypt in popular culture and how ridiculous they've been.

QaaQer

It says more to me that they don't have dev kits for nx-home-console yet, not that they won't support it once they know what it is. So 2016 is portable, 2017 home.

If it (or its sequels) is also set in Greece and Rome then I think it's quite likely to take place in Hellenistic Egypt (meaning 305-30 BC when Egypt was ruled by the Macedonian Ptolemies) or perhaps even later when Egypt was under Roman rule. I mean, if they go much earlier than that, then Rome really won't be a very impressive sight. Perhaps its set during the downfall of Ptolemaic Egypt under Cleopatra VII?

Either way, sounds really interesting. I just hope they still keep things somewhat historically accurate/authentic. I'm a little fed up of recent portrayals of ancient Egypt in popular culture and how ridiculous they've been.
The pyramids will be landing pads for alien/god spaceships.

One would think that Ubisoft would port Assassin's Creed to the new platform just to test the waters, but I suppose Nintendo really burned that bridge with the Wii U.

And the Nintendo audience.

They didn't buy those games. People can say "Oh they didn't have DLC" or whatever, but that wasn't known when they launched. Nintendo fans simply had no interest in those titles. Even if the NX sells the entire Wii U's install base in a day, that fact wouldn't change.

Why? Syndicate is great

I've been wanting to play it because I've heard it's pretty good. Still the franchise seems tired at this point and a break with some fresh ideas and being far removed from the timeline is a good thing and will probably make a better game in the end.

Neoxon

And the Nintendo audience.

They didn't buy those games. People can say "Oh they didn't have DLC" or whatever, but that wasn't known when they launched. Nintendo fans simply had no interest in those titles. Even if the NX sells the entire Wii U's install base in a day, that fact wouldn't change.
True, & the fact of the Nintendo audience not caring is something that I've been arguing for months. I just held out a sliver of hope that Ubisoft would give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt since Assassin's Creed is usually the franchise that gets ported to everything. Mark it as me being sad that I ended up being right....if the rumor pans out.

I think Revelations was my last AC game. I wonder if Desmond (?) is still alive, lol.

Egypt sounds cool but not if I can't enjoy the story.

Ralemont

not me
Bi-annual AC would be great news. I've already started that (didn't play Unity) and they could still make a ton of money while keeping the series a bit more fresh.

Not that the rope launcher isn't keeping Syndicate fresh for me right now. Christ this game is fun.

Harlequin

EDIT: The more I look at this history, I'm convinced that the games might take place around 31BC, which was the death of Cleopatra and ancient Egypt, in the middle of the reign of Caesar, and the time that Greece was occupied by Rome. If the "trilogy" is really going to cross over between these three empires, this would probably be the time to do it. If not then, you would have to go back until at least 146BC, when Greece became a Roman protectorate.

Yeah, although 31 BC was not "in the middle of the reign of Caesar". Caesar died in 44BC, way before Cleopatra. At the time of her death, Octavian (who'd later become Emperor Augustus) was de-facto ruler of the Roman Republic.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Glad to hear this. Here's to hoping we get a Brown/Black/Woman protagonist and not some ridiculous whitewashed nonsense.

Crossing Eden

No kidding, I can't even find a trailer for this game. Hope they're not trying to pull a Unity and push the game out before it's ready.

Is there a trailer? I want to see how vast this world is.
Actually it's quite the opposite, both games have likely been feature complete for quite some time.
Here's the trailer. This one will likely get a launch trailer in a week or so. Vast isn't the word i'd use. >_>

NoKisum

Actually it's quite the opposite, both games have likely been feature complete for quite some time.
Here's the trailer. This one will likely get a launch trailer in a week or so. Vast isn't the word i'd use. >_>
Oh, it's a simplistic side scroller. Of course they'd push the really cool looking locales to the 2D world. In that case, the Egypt game might be part of this series actually. I'll pass.

kyser73

Soooo....

How're Ubi going to explain the use of the word 'assassin' in a setting where the word won't exist for at least 1000 years?

I know the series technically days that the Templars & Assassins predate their real-life counterparts, but still...the bloody word wasn't even invented...

Anyway, this could make for an exciting trilogy of classical civilisation parkour & wrist blade air killing so I consider myself hyped.

kyser73

Can a city be stoic? It's a philosophy of life.

Crossing Eden

Oh, it's a simplistic side scroller. Of course they'd push the really cool looking locales to the 2D world. In that case, the Egypt game might be part of this series actually. I'll pass.
If the rumors are true, the Egypt game is another overhauled mainline entry, which is why it'll take longer to make.

Wait, is everyone going to have British accents again? They could technically get away with it in the Roman setting, but good lord let's not turn this rumored game into Gods of Egypt.

Crossing Eden

Wait, is everyone going to have British accents again? They could technically get away with it in the Roman setting, but good lord let's not turn this rumored game into Gods of Egypt.
ACU was really an outlier in that regard. The series usually goes with thematically appropriate accents and dialect. I'm sure they don't wanna run into that sort of controversy again especially considering the track record of the series.

ArjanN

Why are they avoiding Japan and fucking NINJAS!? This game is perfect for it. I look forward to playing in ancient Egypt. Sounds pretty cool.

I get why people want this, but on the other hand I thought it was fairly obvious they've specifically been going for relatively underused locations/settings for Assassin's Creed games, and that's a big part of this franchise's identity. Feudal Japan is pretty generic as a game setting, even if running across rooftops and shanking people fit very well in that setting.

I imagine they also really can't go too modern or you just become Watch Dogs/GTA etc.

kyser73

I look froward to having to learn to read hieroglyphics and English-subtitled ancient Egyptian speech.

Top Bottom