• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Next Assassin's Creed codenamed "Empires"; set in Egypt, coming 2017

CrazyDude

I get why people want this, but on the other hand I thought it was fairly obvious they've specifically been going for relatively underused locations/settings for Assassin's Creed games, and that's a big part of this franchise's identity. Feudal Japan is pretty generic as a game setting.

Than why not china or korea?

ACU was really an outlier in that regard. The series usually goes with thematically appropriate accents and dialect. I'm sure they don't wanna run into that sort of controversy again especially considering the track record of the series.

God I hope so.

I look froward to having to learn to read hieroglyphics and English-subtitled ancient Egyptian speech.

I'd rather have that than English as fuck accents in an ancient Egypt setting.

Joco

As I've said in the other thread, I don't understand why Ubisoft refuses to do China or Japan for a main entry in the series. Tons of people have been asking for one for years. Use the same female protagonist and setting from ACC: China and turn it into a full blown game. Would sell well, I don't doubt that.

CrazyDude

As I've said in the other thread, I don't understand why Ubisoft refuses to do China or Japan for a main entry in the series. Tons of people have been asking for one for years. Use the same female protagonist and setting from ACC: China and turn it into a full blown game. Would sell well, I don't doubt that.

Mentioned in the 4chan leak. Apparently they can't reuse assets and it's to expensive.

You already answered your own question. They'd have to create too many assets from scratch.
Which is why I have a hard time getting excited for any of these games because they refuse to do new things for it.

Speaking as someone who loved AC2 and AC:Brotherhood but hasn't played one since. I'm really interested in this game and the Trilogy idea. Really curious how it will all play out. Also glad they will give Assassin's Creed more breathing space so they're not rushing out broken games.

Related? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=708121

HP5tg.jpg

13 FPS? It has to be legit.

AU Tiger

Still holding my breath that I'll eventually get a (full blown AAA budget) feudal Japan samurai assassin's creed one day...

tumblr_m8x2ma5cWm1qc8e6lo1_500.gif

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Mentioned in the 4chan leak. Apparently they can't reuse assets and it's to expensive.

Which is why I have a hard time getting excited for any of these games because they refuse to do new things for it.
That excuse actually makes little sense considering that Unity and AC3 were complete overhauls with entirely new assets and very reworked versions of the engines so I wouldn't take his wording on that as set in stone fact. To say they refuse to do new things with it is a bit much don't you think, this is the same series that went from

The American Revolution

to the Caribbean

French Revolution Paris

In a very short amount of time. All which required several gameplay and engine overhauls to support.

Luke_Wal

As I was thinking about this earlier today and the speculation this morning about "what Ubisoft's big Holiday 2016 game would be," I realized that I didn't see anybody bring up Ghost Recon Wildlands at all. Remember the big game from the Ubisoft press conference with the 7 minute trailer and the Imagine Dragons song in the trailer, that they clearly want to be a big deal? Nobody gave it ANY thought. That doesn't bode well for that game, I think, and it probably shows how little cachet the Tom Clancy's brand holds these days. It looks like they've really screwed that up with Future Soldier, Siege, and delaying The Division into oblivion.

As a friend pointed out to me, inhabited Japan pre WW2 is 98% flat farm country, with next to nothing over 2 stories. If they wanted to do Japan and still be on the more accurate side of history, I don't think current AC systems lend itself to that environment.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
As I was thinking about this earlier today and the speculation this morning about "what Ubisoft's big Holiday 2016 game would be," I realized that I didn't see anybody bring up Ghost Recon Wildlands at all. Remember the big game from the Ubisoft press conference with the 7 minute trailer and the Imagine Dragons song in the trailer, that they clearly want to be a big deal? Nobody gave it ANY thought. That doesn't bode well for that game, I think, and it probably shows how little cachet the Tom Clancy's brand holds these days. It looks like they've really screwed that up with Future Soldier, Siege, and delaying The Division into oblivion.

But Siege is doing well.

And they also had For Honor, which in itself had a lot of impact, and South Park - my point is, yes they did the "but wait there's one more surprise!!" Again with Ghost, this year they had more "big reveals" which would dilute the impact of only one.

RPGamer92

Banned
But Siege is doing well.

And they also had For Honor, which in itself had a lot of impact, and South Park - my point is, yes they did the "but wait there's one more surprise!!" Again with Ghost, this year they had more "big reveals" which would dilute the impact of only one.
Oh yeah, For Honor will also probably be a big holiday game for them this year since it still doesn't have a release date.

Crossing Eden

Imagine it: ninjas would be the assassins and samurais could be the templars??? There needs to be an asian setting soon. Please Ubi.
It's funny because this artist behind this stuff was hired last year.

and there was a rumor a month ago that Ubi China is apparently heavily involved with the next entry.

BONDO

Yay for Egypt. Number one location ive wanted since day 1.
Japan, would be cool....but only after. Even still, its pretty much something ive feel ive seen plenty before anyway.

I get why people want this, but on the other hand I thought it was fairly obvious they've specifically been going for relatively underused locations/settings for Assassin's Creed games, and that's a big part of this franchise's identity. Feudal Japan is pretty generic as a game setting, even if running across rooftops and shanking people fit very well in that setting.

I imagine they also really can't go too modern or you just become Watch Dogs/GTA etc.
Yeah, pretty much no one uses a Victorian London aesthetic. Especially in 2015.

Eh. There was plenty of buzz for Wildlands at the time. To the point that several people were calling it one of the better conferences because of South park and Wildlands surprise.Of course the buzz stopped, they haven't released any further info since. They made the buzz stop, and it will restart again come E3 when we have a solid release date.

I just want them to do that 1960s United States Summer of Love scenario that they teased in Black Flag. I'd pay to play that even if it ended up a failure.

I look froward to having to learn to read hieroglyphics and English-subtitled ancient Egyptian speech.
I'm actually OK with ancient Egyptian speech.
I loved the small Latin bits in the older games.
Of course it won't happen, but local languages would be nice, even if they would sound modern and all

Stiler

They really need to just upgrade the actual whole gameplay formula.

Make combat more in-depth, less counter-counter-counter whack-a-mole focus and simple enemies that do the same thing over and over (IE All "large guys" can't be hit and have to be opened to attack).

Something where you have more choice on specific moves and things you can pull off, more focused on hitting where you want to and having stances, etc with different moves dependent on that.

Also the other main thing I'd like to see change is a move away from the "Collect-a-thon" where they make this beautiful open world and then fill it to the top with USELESS and super-repetitivei gameplay and collections, focusing you on a checklist like thing of doing the same things over and over and over.

I want to find side-quest and other varied things with acitual storylines, loot that is gotten by you know FINDING IT and not having to do something over and over to "unlock it "

Crossing Eden

They really need to just upgrade the actual whole gameplay formula.

Make combat more in-depth, less counter-counter-counter whack-a-mole focus and simple enemies that do the same thing over and over (IE All "large guys" can't be hit and have to be opened to attack).

Something where you have more choice on specific moves and things you can pull off, more focused on hitting where you want to and having stances, etc with different moves dependent on that.

Also the other main thing I'd like to see change is a move away from the "Collect-a-thon" where they make this beautiful open world and then fill it to the top with USELESS and super-repetitivei gameplay and collections, focusing you on a checklist like thing of doing the same things over and over and over.

I want to find side-quest and other varied things with acitual storylines, loot that is gotten by you know FINDING IT and not having to do something over and over to "unlock it "
Have you not played the last two games? And did you just ignore all of the side content in AC3, 4, Unity and Syndicate which have storylines and actual characters? That the game doesn't notify you about?

Haven't played AC since 3 but I guess I'm back on board.

- This is the setting I wanted since the first game.
- I hear that Syndicate was actually good/better again (?)
- They take more time + won't cram it into 2016

Sidenote: Now I'm 90% sure we will get an ancient Egypt GoW in 2017. Similar to movies with identical settings being released astoundingly close to each other. 2016 is caveman year with Far Cry and Horizon, 2017 it's Egyptians.

Ancient Egypt sound epic. I skipped the last 2 games. Unity didnt get off on the right foot and i wasnt feeling Syndicate. It will be good this game to take a year off.

Harlequin

2016 is caveman year with Far Cry and Horizon

And Wild, too :p. Or is that scheduled for 2017?

Also, I think there were rumours going around that the next Tomb Raider game is set in Egypt and I'd say that that has a good chance of coming out in 2017, as well (or maybe early 2018). Of course, it wouldn't be ancient Egypt but still.

And Wild, too :p. Or is that scheduled for 2017?

Also, I think there were rumours going around that the next Tomb Raider game is set in Egypt and I'd say that that has a good chance of coming out in 2017, as well (or maybe early 2018). Of course, it wouldn't be ancient Egypt but still.

Totally forgot about Wild, yeah I think that's 2016 as well :D

McNagah

I would be way more interested in an Assassin's Creed game taking place in Japan then Egypt. Egypt is going to be one big desert level.

Gxgear

Egypt? Meh. Not sure how that'll fit into the rooftop parkour that is the staple of the AC series.

The AC fatigue is real; haven't even made much headway in Unity/Liberation, Rogue/Chronicles still on the shelf, waiting for Syndicate to hit the bargain bin.

Joco

Seems like a strange excuse. How many assets have they reused in the past? Sure some things like Rogue and Black Flag because they were similar settings but AC3, Unity, and Syndicate were all quite different settings. Surely an eastern Asia game can't really be that more expensive (if at all). I just don't get it.

Stiler

Have you not played the last two games? And did you just ignore all of the side content in AC3, 4, Unity and Syndicate which have storylines and actual characters? That the game doesn't notify you about?

You must have played a different game then I did then because I have played every one of them since then, pray tell me where at in any of those games while out exploring the world did you come across in-depth side-quests and things that weren't part of the main quest?

Cause all I have ever found is thie copy + paste style "random events" with almost no story to them that repeat over and over and over, or the collect a thon style hunting/collections.

I have yet to come across an npc that is talkable to that actually starts an in depth questline with an interesting story, that is whiat I'm talking about.

A world less focused on quantity and copy+pasting repetitive thingsi and more on quality and variety, more like the Witcher 3 in terms of finding quest and side quest that are actually in-depth, even if they might appear to be a regular ole sidequest.

Spazznid

Still holding my breath that I'll eventually get a (full blown AAA budget) feudal Japan samurai assassin's creed one day...

tumblr_m8x2ma5cWm1qc8e6lo1_500.gif

I'd rather have a Feudal Japanese Samurai thrown into a dark Scifi grunge Futuristic world by an evil entity known as Aku Assassin's Creed...

Egypt? Meh. Not sure how that'll fit into the rooftop parkour that is the staple of the AC series.
Souks, and the City of the Dead will be a pretty good starting point. The bazaars in the first Assassin's Creed (and Revelations, since it was in Constantinople) were good, so why not Egyptian ones?

Plenty of places to hide, alleys to run, roofs to jump. And plenty of large temples as well. I loved the middle eastern setting of the first, be nice to revisit it.

theecakee

Huh kind of surprising honestly, but I think the right move is to give AC a break. So the 2nd best thing they could do.

Good job Ubi

Crossing Eden

You must have played a different game then I did then because I have played every one of them since then, pray tell me where at in any of those games while out exploring the world did you come across in-depth side-quests and things that weren't part of the main quest?

Cause all I have ever found is thie copy + paste style "random events" with almost no story to them that repeat over and over and over, or the collect a thon style hunting/collections.

I have yet to come across an npc that is talkable to that actually starts an in depth questline with an interesting story, that is whiat I'm talking about.

A world less focused on quantity and copy+pasting repetitive thingsi and more on quality and variety, more like the Witcher 3 in terms of finding quest and side quest that are actually in-depth, even if they might appear to be a regular ole sidequest.
AC3
-Homestead missions are essentially a second campaign which has a complete different tone.
-Naval Missions
-Collecting Peg Leg trinkets unlocked a bunch of linear set piece missions

AC4
-Templar Key hunts each had their own character with a plotline and ending
-Each fort was unique and so was each
-The game told you the location of each treasure map via talking to people who worked at bars, but you had to find them by looking at the pictures

But i'm sure you must have just missed those.

Zophar

Going backwards in time would bum me out, especially since the series is inching towards the 20th century
and the tastes of it in the last two entries have been major highlights for me.

Harlequin

If it's set in Alexandria (which seems very possible considering the references to Greek and Rome point to it being set during the Graeco-Roman era), there'll be plenty of big buildings and rooftops. It was the biggest city of its time with an estimated population of half a million people (which may not sound like much today but it was a LOT back then). Here are some pictures of film versions or other reconstructions of Alexandria (not all of which are completely historically accurate but I think they still give you a good idea of the scale and overall feeling of the city):

fm7EDKC.jpg
BZlq95u.jpg

JvbHpZw.jpg

Rk2TxCT.gif
ZEj49V4.jpg

fPzrMqM.jpg

EDIT: Just reread the 4chan posts and one of them says that the game is mostly just villages and desert stuff... so I guess it's not set in Alexandria? Seems a bit like a missed opportunity if it's set during the Graeco-Roman era (which, again, it would almost have to be for them to consider Greece and Rome as locations for the spin-off sequels) but oh well... wait and see.

AC3
-Homestead missions are essentially a second campaign which has a complete different tone.
-Naval Missions
-Collecting Peg Leg trinkets unlocked a bunch of linear set piece missions

AC4
-Templar Key hunts each had their own character with a plotline and ending
-Each fort was unique and so was each
-The game told you the location of each treasure map via talking to people who worked at bars, but you had to find them by looking at the pictures

But i'm sure you must have just missed those.

And Syndicate has several side quest storylines featuring Dickens, Darwin, Marx, etc. Pretty solid IMO.

Top Bottom