• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds NYCC Trailer

Tunic

That title screen is so awesome! But what the heck is up with Lorule? I laughed so hard when I saw "Lorule" come up on the screen.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Got DAMN at all of the audio and visual cues.
Nostalgia overload.

Especially at the return of the classic overworld theme, the triforce unite jingle, and the LTTP title theme.

The whole Hyrule/Lorule Zelda/Hilda and Twinrova-like female Gerudo big bad (presumably Lorule's version of Ganon) had me... smiling.

:)

D-e-f-

Banned
It looks very gerudo like.

The laugh sounded feminine, and not in the flamboyant way of Girahim, and there's the clothes, the hair...

I'm not sure I like Zelda getting these new bend-gender enemies though :/

You're right. That laugh sounds incredibly odd. Like an old witch :D

vlcsnap-2013-10-11-22mduyc.png

Let's call it: Unspecified New Zelda Antagonist = UNZA! :D

vlcsnap-2013-10-11-22hwum9.png

UNZA during its first face-off with Link who has no clue what is waiting for him.

vlcsnap-2013-10-11-229jusp.png

UNZA turns into a painting as a defense mechanism.

vlcsnap-2013-10-11-22wiu8e.png

Link runs into the wall as if we're in a Road Runner cartoon.

vlcsnap-2013-10-11-22b8um2.png

UNZA: (laughs)

vlcsnap-2013-10-11-224guzi.png

Now what is this? Part of Hyrule castle? The land below looks like the cemetery area or potentially a bigger inner court? We've also seen the Lorule version of that skybridge.

vlcsnap-2013-10-11-22xmu43.png

Is this accessible from the start or is it maybe actually a separate sky-dungeon/castle?

vlcsnap-2013-10-11-22d4u14.png

Maybe that skybridge is how you get into this tower peak and access what is probably the first rift?

vlcsnap-2013-10-11-22bnux2.png

... to cross over into Lorule?

JoeFu

Banned
Wonder if it's going to delve more into the last boss of Skyward Sword. The upside down triforce was part of his sword after all.

A lot of upside down Triforces in Lorule.

RagnarokX

Wonder if it's going to delve more into the last boss of Skyward Sword. The upside down triforce was part of his sword after all.

A lot of upside down Triforces in Lorule.
Outset Island in Wind Waker and Demise in SS liked upside down triforces, too.

Mory Dunz

3 female characters and only one male? And the male is Quiet?

Kidding aside, is there any other franchise that changes it art style as much as Zelda? I guess final fantasy makes changes in each iteration, but it's usually leaned towards realism...

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Lorule is alternate version of Hyrule that went to hell because the Hero of Time lost against Ganon during OOT and wasn't around to travel to travel to Termina and stop the moon from landing on it confirmed??!??!?!

Kidding aside, is there any other franchise that changes it art style as much as Zelda? I guess final fantasy makes changes in each iteration, but it's usually leaned towards realism...

it would take them too long to do it on 3DS I guess

it is not as if we do not have great looking 3DS games I am not sure what the excuse is here but I would like to know who really worked on the assets

blamite

Since this is in a different timeline from Majora's Mask, what if Lorule is an alternate version of Termina that was destroyed by the moon since OoT Link an't there to stop it? :eek:

D-e-f-

Banned

I'd go as far as to argue Zelda is the only franchise that consistently changes art styles with almost every iteration.

Lorule is alternate version of Hyrule that went to hell because the Hero of Time lost against Ganon during OOT and wasn't around to travel to travel to Termina and stop the moon from landing on it confirmed??!??!?!

oh god the fanfic will write itself until the next LoHyrule Historia

Wasn't going to get it right away, but man, looks pretttty good. Having never played a 2D Zelda beyond 4 Swords, I want to give it a go.

As someone who isn't that into Zelda, particularly post MM, I'm surprised how much it excites me.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
We have need of a hero- and Your Link is superb.

Dark Link confirmed.

Mory Dunz

it would take them too long to do it on 3DS I guess

it is not as if we do not have great looking 3DS games I am not sure what the excuse is here but I would like to know who really worked on the assets
To long to do what? I was saying that albw was another new art style. I personally wasn't calling it ugly...I'm not calling it pretty either.

Amikami

Banned
Man, I'm officially excited. Think this is the first trailer I've seen since the announcement trailer. Gotta admit, one of the first things I wonder is how this fits in the timeline if it will at all. I want to say that lorule becomes the twilight realm or based on that art of hyrule/lorule artwork that it is somehow the strange alternate universe in which majora mask takes place.

Title screen music give me the chills. I am so ready to play this.

To long to do what? I was saying that albw was another new art style. I personally wasn't calling it ugly...I'm not calling it pretty either.

Ok I guess what I am saying is I don't really think they intensionally went about designing a new art style I think they tried to copy ALTTP and rushed it.

just because we have some nice drawings in a new style does not mean these polygons matched up

Mory Dunz

I'd go as far as to argue Zelda is the only franchise that consistently changes art styles with almost every iteration.
That's that I'm thinking. It seems like such a risky strategy, but it works out for them...eventually.

Imagine if the first FF of a new generation went with cel shaded or Chibi graphics. People would flip out even more than for WW. That initial trailer for even Crystal Bearers had people enraged.

Bagu

Since this is in a different timeline from Majora's Mask, what if Lorule is an alternate version of Termina that was destroyed by the moon since OoT Link an't there to stop it? :eek:
Isn't Termina supposed to be a parallel world. Technically it shouldn't be affected by the timey wimey nonsense of Hyrule?

Pagusas

Elden Member

I think this right here is what I'm having a problem with, parts of the game look great, but things like this look like what a shitty flash game maker would do back when he first learned to keyframe. I dont get how the game can look so inconsistent and cheap, yet other parts look super polished. Parts of it seem like they are trying to go for a "rough around the edges, no production quality" look.

zhorkat

Lorule is presented as the twisted mirror image of Hyrule, while Termina had stuff like Clocktown that had no equivalent in Hyrule. Anything's possible, especially after you've had a moon crash into the planet, but it would be weird if the world of Termina, after experiencing a cataclysmic event, went on to create a land that coincidentally looks extremely similar to Hyrule.

Mory Dunz

Ok I guess what I am saying is I don't really think they intensionally went about designing a new art style I think they tried to copy ALTTP and rushed it.

just because we have some nice drawings in a new style does not mean these polygons matched up
Oh I see. Ben though its from alttp, I guess i still consider it a new arts tyke because it hasn't been seen before. Even if its jut a 3d version of a style.

I think this right here is what I'm having a problem with, parts of the game look great, but things like this look like what a shitty flash game maker would do back when he first learned to keyframe.

Pretty sure that's not the title screen, just the logo for the video.

I mean, maybe it is the title screen, but I think it's just the visual tag for the end of the trailer.

cdkee

Banned
Wait...it's actually called Lorule?

I thought you guys were joking.

Still going to get it though. Hopefully we get an origin story for MM...followed by MM3DS.

Top Bottom