• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego Horizon Adventures is on Switch because Playstation Studio’s Guerrilla Games wanted the game to reach more people

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

In order to find out the reasons why, we ran the question by Guerrilla Games' narrative director James Windeler at Summer Game Fest Play Days. The answer we received shouldn't come as much of a surprise; it turns out the development teams simply wanted the game to reach more people.
"When we approached this game, we wanted to make sure that it was for everyone," Windeler says. "[That philosophy] has informed every creative decision, and bringing [LEGO Horizon Adventures] to Nintendo Switch is part of that."

He continues: "We're trying to bring as broad an audience as possible to this game and to the franchise. And the Switch has a family-friendly audience, and it's a really good fit in order to expand."

bender

What time is it?
Releasing God of War and Ratchet on Xbox would reach more people too......
cole-phelps-la-noire.gif

onQ123

LOL, reach more people, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is the only reason, why wrap it up in disnegenuous statments?
Releasing God of War and Ratchet on Xbox would reach more people too......
If games would have sold on Xbox this generation PlayStation would already be selling games on Xbox

bender

What time is it?
Sure Jan GIF

Playstation is 100% in competition with Nintendo as Nintendo is with Playstation. Both were in direct competition with Xbox as well, before MS ran away with its tail between its legs after failing for a decade.
When Nintendo players start playing teen or mature games, that aren't hentai, then come back to me. Nintendo is huge because it is extremely kid friendly. Games that aren't kid friendly don't sell. Playstation userbase are primarily teens and adults. And pretty much all PlayStation titles cater to a teen-Adult audience

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
They're skipping Xbox because it is considered a direct competitor to PlayStation. Switch and PC are not. It's the same reason why Helldivers 2 and Concord are not on Xbox. If Bungie didn't have an autonomy deal in place, I can assure you that Marathon wouldn't be either. Had MLB not twisted Sony's arm, that game wouldn't be on Xbox, as well. LEGO Horizon is actually a pretty good indication of PlayStation's current stance towards Xbox. It is a direct competitor, it has a small market share, and the owners it has are less likely to outright buy games.

Draugoth

Gold Member
If this was true they would have released this game on Xbox.

Microsoft gave the mSea of Thieves and Hi-Fi Rush and they have nothing back lmao

They're skipping Xbox because it is considered a direct competitor to PlayStation. Switch and PC are not. It's the same reason why Helldivers 2 and Concord are not on Xbox. If Bungie didn't have an autonomy deal in place, I can assure you that Marathon wouldn't be either. Had MLB not twisted Sony's arm, that game wouldn't be on Xbox, as well. LEGO Horizon is actually a pretty good indication of PlayStation's current stance towards Xbox. It is a direct competitor, it has a small market share, and the owners it has are less likely to outright buy games.

I wouldn't be surprised if Helldivers eventually came to Xbox. You're still looking at 25+ million people you could potentially sell to here.

Sony will know exactly how many Destiny 2 players are on Xbox for example. They have enough data to see if it is worth putting the game there. If there is an argument for it, they will, if not, they won't.

And it's interesting that Lego Horizon Adventure was built multiplatform in mind, but Astrobot was built for the Dual Sense. It'll be difficult to port to Switch without changes to the gameplay, but it potentially could have sold more on Switch than PS5.

Varteras

Gold Member
I wouldn't be surprised if Helldivers eventually came to Xbox. You're still looking at 25+ million people you could potentially sell to here.

Sony will know exactly how many Destiny 2 players are on Xbox for example. They have enough data to see if it is worth putting the game there. If there is an argument for it, they will, if not, they won't.

And it's interesting that Lego Horizon Adventure was built multiplatform in mind, but Astrobot was built for the Dual Sense. It'll be difficult to port to Switch without changes to the gameplay, but it potentially could have sold more on Switch than PS5.

I'm not convinced that they would. I mean, I see the wisdom in what you're saying, but I think Sony is still very much entrenched in the idea of winning the console war.

They see an opportunity to be THE traditional console. Intentionally tossing their games on Xbox would only be giving them a lifeline. Regardless of how big or small.

I think the fact that none of their live service games have been announced for Xbox, outside of the ones they have no choice on, is fairly telling. They achieved 12 million sales without Xbox for Helldivers 2 and tens to hundreds of thousands of concurrent players.

Even more telling to me is that something like LEGO Horizon is not going to Xbox. This would have had minimal impact to also be there. Yet it's not.

This tells me that Sony is definitely trying to continue to box the competition into a corner it can't escape. And with its small market share and their owners being less likely to buy games, I just don't think Sony sees positives at this point.

Astrobot not being on Switch doesn't surprise me. It's basically a love letter to PlayStation. Astrobot's whole identity is basically a PlayStation nostalgia trip.

fudgybrownie

Neo Member

Astro Bot will never be on the Switch.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

[Sigma]

So basically, you're a 3rd Party Publisher. And we got Hulst out here saying that he's using tentpole titles to convince PC gamers to buy a PS5, that's basically gaslighting at this point.

What’s the point of skipping Xbox though? I don’t get that at all
Probably one reason is because XBOX is in more direct competition with PlayStation. Second, Games typically don’t well on XBox and imo something like this really wouldn’t sell on XBox due to its kid/family friendly appearance. For example, I know Hellblade 2 is on Gamepass, but only selling 25,000 copies for a reasonably anticipated and hyped game is absolutely absurd. Tekken 8 and SF6 aren’t on Gamepass and I heard even those high profile had very underwhelming sales as well.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Slow down all of a sudden these guys don’t care about EXCLUSIVES? Exclusives are extremely valuable to consoles. Microsoft is trying to create an exit out of hardware like sega, and it’s just been magnificent seeing these corporate thugs change the narrative and move the goal post to their bidding.

Top Bottom