• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego Horizon Adventures is on Switch because Playstation Studio’s Guerrilla Games wanted the game to reach more people

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
These people are stupid. No wonder Hermen The Surfer was their boss. Believing Horizon may become something like Assassins Creed is beyond retard.

These people are stupid. No wonder Hermen The Surfer was their boss. Believing Horizon may become something like Assassins Creed is beyond retard.
The first Horizon got to over 20M copies sold and was probably the most successful new IP of the PS4 gen.
The 2nd game sold over 10M copies and was on PS Plus one year after release.

I'd say if they released these games everywhere like Assassin's Creed the numbers could get close...

I wouldn't be surprised if Helldivers eventually came to Xbox. You're still looking at 25+ million people you could potentially sell to here.

Sony will know exactly how many Destiny 2 players are on Xbox for example. They have enough data to see if it is worth putting the game there. If there is an argument for it, they will, if not, they won't.

And it's interesting that Lego Horizon Adventure was built multiplatform in mind, but Astrobot was built for the Dual Sense. It'll be difficult to port to Switch without changes to the gameplay, but it potentially could have sold more on Switch than PS5.
What % of that 25 million doesn't own a PC or PS5? I bet it's less than 50%, honestly. Not to mention how many never buy games and just play on gamepass? It becomes a lot smaller than the 25mil

Doom85

I don’t know why this is surprising, it‘s a LEGO game first and foremost. I mean, despite the Sony deal, Spidey still was playable in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 on Switch, that didn’t mean the Insomnaic Spidey games were coming to Switch. So people being like, “so it begins!”, err yeah, keep sniffing that copium…..

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I wouldn't be surprised if Helldivers eventually came to Xbox. You're still looking at 25+ million people you could potentially sell to here.

Sony will know exactly how many Destiny 2 players are on Xbox for example. They have enough data to see if it is worth putting the game there. If there is an argument for it, they will, if not, they won't.

And it's interesting that Lego Horizon Adventure was built multiplatform in mind, but Astrobot was built for the Dual Sense. It'll be difficult to port to Switch without changes to the gameplay, but it potentially could have sold more on Switch than PS5.

The dumbest thing in the world would be to make astrobot for the Nintendo switch. I couldn't think of anything Dumber in my life.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Exactly as i said, get the family friendly audience into Horizon Lego and then release the third game and they'll want a ps5 to play it.
Do you really think someone's going to buy a PS5 and mainline Horizon game based on the strength of a Lego spinoff on Switch? I suppose it's possible but If they do they're probably going to be somewhat disappointed at how little comic relief there is in mainline Horizon games. Two completely different vibes.

Deerock71

So...Sony's on board with releasing a first party spinoff on NINTENDO'S system?
Explode War GIF by Bombay Softwares

What’s the point of skipping Xbox though? I don’t get that at all
When your "enemy" is slowly destroying themselves, why start throwing them lifelines? I mean, the Xbox brand is basically using PS5 as a lifeline themselves. Which Sony doesn't care about because they are making free money off of it, and it looks embarrassing on Xbox's part. But, they sure as hell aren't going to throw any personal lifelines over to them.

Sony is now in a partnership with Lego and both see this Lego game to be a perfect experiment releasing on the Switch, something they are obviously not directly competing with. We can see that by both the Switch and the PS4/5 both selling perfectly fine with the other on the market. Nintendo currently has the handheld market on lock, while Sony has the home console market.

onQ123

That's about the silliest thing said around here in a long time.
You might think so but we are moving towards the digital locker era and at some point it's not going to matter what device you're playing on as long as you own the license.

Right now you have to put too much effort into making a Xbox Port compared to the return so yes Xbox not selling software is keeping Sony from releasing games on Xbox. Helldivers 2 would must definitely be on Xbox right now if it was worth the effort & I wouldn't Rule it out even now.

If the next Xbox comes out & software is selling or Subscription numbers are going up enough to support game development Sony would send games that way.

When your "enemy" is slowly destroying themselves, why start throwing them lifelines? I mean, the Xbox brand is basically using PS5 as a lifeline themselves. Which Sony doesn't care about because they are making free money off of it, and it looks embarrassing on Xbox's part. But, they sure as hell aren't going to throw any personal lifelines over to them.

Sony is now in a partnership with Lego and both see this Lego game to be a perfect experiment releasing on the Switch, something they are obviously not directly competing with. We can see that by both the Switch and the PS4/5 both selling perfectly fine with the other on the market. Nintendo currently has the handheld market on lock, while Sony has the home console market.

Nintendo has always been a competitor. More indirect in recent years, but they could become a much more direct competitor if Sony goes the handheld/console approach for PS6.

I just don't see the harm in adding a side game to Xbox. They already have MLB on Xbox. It's not like a Horizon Lego game is some tentpole title of theirs.

Nydius

Gold Member
They already have MLB on Xbox.

The only reason they “have MLB on Xbox” is because Major League Baseball told them it HAD to become multiplatform or they’d take their license elsewhere.

That wasn’t a Sony decision at all. It was Major League Baseball dictating terms after MLB media’s RBI Baseball reboot attempts flopped miserably.

Last edited:
Nintendo has always been a competitor. More indirect in recent years, but they could become a much more direct competitor if Sony goes the handheld/console approach for PS6.

I just don't see the harm in adding a side game to Xbox. They already have MLB on Xbox. It's not like a Horizon Lego game is some tentpole title of theirs.
Why would Sony go with that approach? They have seen their biggest success in home consoles. This being their highest profitable gen ever. They will more than likely stick with home consoles, but have an upgraded PS Portal.

Switch will do well with or without their Lego Horizon game, just like PS5 will do fine with or without putting this game on the Switch. And Lego probably wants that extra money from Switch game sales.

In the end, Sony has no responsibility or reason to try and save a dying brand. A brand that's a more direct competitor. That's Xbox's job. Most of those Xbox gamers don't even buy games anymore because of GamePass. They also probably have a PC capable of running this game. Which is why Lego was perfectly fine with a partnership that excluded the XSX.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
You might think so but we are moving towards the digital locker era and at some point it's not going to matter what device you're playing on as long as you own the license.

Right now you have to put too much effort into making a Xbox Port compared to the return so yes Xbox not selling software is keeping Sony from releasing games on Xbox. Helldivers 2 would must definitely be on Xbox right now if it was worth the effort & I wouldn't Rule it out even now.

If the next Xbox comes out & software is selling or Subscription numbers are going up enough to support game development Sony would send games that way.

If PlayStation does that then that means something has went horribly wrong with them and their brand. Helldivers 2 should never be on an Xbox system.

onQ123

If PlayStation does that then that means something has went horribly wrong with them and their brand. Helldivers 2 should never be on an Xbox system.
Games like Helldivers 2 are meant to reach the players where they already play it's not really a game that's going to sell PS5 .

THE DUCK

Banned

If Xbox had better software and was selling more hardware, absolute zero chance Sony exclusive games would be on xbox. They would hold them to ps5 only to drive ps5 sales.

The only way Sony will ever put Sony exclusives on xbox is if they no longer them as a threat or they drop out of hardware.

Why would Sony go with that approach? They have seen their biggest success in home consoles.

Because technology is scalable these days, more then ever.

Release a handheld ps6 lower quality while a console version is there for much better fidelity

There’s a big market for it, and switch 2 could capture market share against ps5 due to third party titles being portable

onQ123

If Xbox had better software and was selling more hardware, absolute zero chance Sony exclusive games would be on xbox. They would hold them to ps5 only to drive ps5 sales.

The only way Sony will ever put Sony exclusives on xbox is if they no longer them as a threat or they drop out of hardware.

I'm not talking about games like God Of War I'm talking about games like this Lego game & stuff like Helldivers 2 & Concord

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Every developer wants their game to reach as many people as possible.

People joke about #SonyToo but they literally are going the same route as MS. They are just dragging their heals on it.

Some PC games day one by next gen and then we will really see the snowball gather size.

MrTired

They just want more eyes on the franchise. They probably want Horizon to be their kid/teen-friendly TLoU, and tie Horizon TV series and films into the mix.
Yep Switch allows them to hit a demographic that both Playstation and Xbox struggle in comparison. If they could have got to translate to mobile they would.

Games like Helldivers 2 are meant to reach the players where they already play it's not really a game that's going to sell PS5 .

Whilst true in the case of PC, I think after the game blew up they definitely wanted those who were making the decision to buy a console and not a PC to pick there's and not there direct competitor in Xbox. So it's a mixture of both.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Exactly as i said, get the family friendly audience into Horizon Lego and then release the third game and they'll want a ps5 to play it.

Or they think why would I need a ps if I get their games elsewhere. Timed exclusives are useless.

FewRope

The reality is, even if Sony release games on PC day 1 I dont think it would affect the console market. People who wants to play on console are going to play on console regardless of "lack of exclusives", only SM2 and God of War type games sell like crazy being exclusive. Just do it Sony, you really dont lose anything at all

Sure Jan GIF

Playstation is 100% in competition with Nintendo as Nintendo is with Playstation. Both were in direct competition with Xbox as well, before MS ran away with its tail between its legs after failing for a decade.
sure jan
PS is competing with Nintendo in the general entertainment space and for limite dconsumers' time, naturally, same as with books, cinema netflix, yt, getting drunk, but their only true competition with a hw characteristic similar to to their own is Xbox. Do you seriously think Timmy, Bob, Susan and Chad equally are deciding between Switch and PS than they are chosing betweeen PS and Xbox, when they only have money for one?

xHunter

They said the same thing about MLB:
Obviously, you're releasing on Xbox this year. Can you elaborate a little more on the decision to do that?

We just wanted to bring baseball to more people. Major League Baseball, the Player's Association, and Xbox have been great partners, and we're really happy to be bringing baseball to Xbox fans this year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom