• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego Horizon Adventures is on Switch because Playstation Studio’s Guerrilla Games wanted the game to reach more people

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Microsoft released their kid friendly stuff on other platforms, so it makes sense Sony’s allowing this on Switch. Bigger audience means bigger sales, and you’re introducing your ip to a new audience.

Makes sense when they’ve got a Horizon GaaS game coming up - which could maybe appear on Switch 2. It wouldn’t surprise me.

Anyways it’ll be interesting to see if the Switch version outsells the PS5 version.

There are 2 reasons it’s on switch:
Get a new audience to buy the main games on PC or PS5. And considering it’s Lego it’s also targeting a younger audience, and this audience often only have a switch.

What % of that 25 million doesn't own a PC or PS5? I bet it's less than 50%, honestly. Not to mention how many never buy games and just play on gamepass? It becomes a lot smaller than the 25mil

Given sales of specific games like Elden Ring on Xbox, that's clearly not accurate. Games CAN sell on Xbox they're just few and far between.

Like I said, Sony knows exactly how many Xbox players are playing Destiny 2. They have all the information they need to make an informed decision on Helldivers 2.

I'm not convinced that they would. I mean, I see the wisdom in what you're saying, but I think Sony is still very much entrenched in the idea of winning the console war.

They see an opportunity to be THE traditional console. Intentionally tossing their games on Xbox would only be giving them a lifeline. Regardless of how big or small.

I think the fact that none of their live service games have been announced for Xbox, outside of the ones they have no choice on, is fairly telling. They achieved 12 million sales without Xbox for Helldivers 2 and tens to hundreds of thousands of concurrent players.

Even more telling to me is that something like LEGO Horizon is not going to Xbox. This would have had minimal impact to also be there. Yet it's not.

This tells me that Sony is definitely trying to continue to box the competition into a corner it can't escape. And with its small market share and their owners being less likely to buy games, I just don't think Sony sees positives at this point.

Astrobot not being on Switch doesn't surprise me. It's basically a love letter to PlayStation. Astrobot's whole identity is basically a PlayStation nostalgia trip.

I don't think porting Helldivers 2 to Xbox changes the dynamic of the "console war." Though it probably changes the dynamics of Helldivers 2 as a property.

I think the only argument is that they don't want to give more reasons to existing users to hold on to their current console, but putting Helldivers 2 on xbox isn't going to actively sell xboxes.

They absolutely have a choice with Bungie and they're choosing to publish there. They could cancel Marathon on Xbox anytime they want.

It is somewhat telling that Lego Horizon isn't going to xbox, but also who thinks it would sell there?

Astrobot is a love letter to PlayStation and the audience who gets those references are the least likely to actually buy the game as it targets kids primarily. It would have a much better chance at selling on the switch and ps5.

I'd even put it on Steam, but mandate that it can only be played with dual sense... i.e. certain sections aren't playable without it.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Switch players will quickly realize "Wow, this series is boring as fuck!"

giphy.gif

Given sales of specific games like Elden Ring on Xbox, that's clearly not accurate. Games CAN sell on Xbox they're just few and far between.

Like I said, Sony knows exactly how many Xbox players are playing Destiny 2. They have all the information they need to make an informed decision on Helldivers 2.
They absolutely have a choice with Bungie and they're choosing to publish there. They could cancel Marathon on Xbox anytime they want.

It is somewhat telling that Lego Horizon isn't going to xbox, but also who thinks it would sell there?

Astrobot is a love letter to PlayStation and the audience who gets those references are the least likely to actually buy the game as it targets kids primarily. It would have a much better chance at selling on the switch and ps5.

I'd even put it on Steam, but mandate that it can only be played with dual sense... i.e. certain sections aren't playable without it.
Yeah, if Xbox was not PlayStation's direct competition, it would completely make sense to port it over. From a hardware perspective, Xbox may be nothing more than a niche console in a couple years. I don't know why Playstation would port over HD2, their biggest exclusive this generation, for short term profits. It seems quite clear with the new Lego game, Playstation doesn't want to give up an inch to Xbox

Playstation has no choice with Bungie. Bungie operates and publishes separately from Playstation. That was agreed upon Sony purchasing them

Last edited:
Because technology is scalable these days, more then ever.

Release a handheld ps6 lower quality while a console version is there for much better fidelity

There’s a big market for it, and switch 2 could capture market share against ps5 due to third party titles being portable
How's Switch 2 going to capture marketshare against PS6, when Switch 1 didn't against PS4/5? They're completely different products. One's a handheld hybrid that's about 2 gens behind in terms of power, while the other is a high end home console.

The same will happen next gen. Switch 2 will be, at best, capable of pulling off PS4 level graphics, while the PS6 is probably going to be a 50+Tflops machine, with 24GB of RAM, much more advanced raytracing, and AI. No one is moving from a PS5 to solely a (basically) portable PS4. It would be a downgrade and would mean leaving behind two gens worth of their digital library. They may buy the Switch 2 in addition to a PS6, though.

Sony will focus on their home console business first, and any handheld aspirations second. Which will most likely be just an upgraded PS Portal.

Ozriel

M$FT
Who cares? Playstation really isn't really competing with Nintendo. Very different consumer bases

Not much competition with the Switch given the age of the Switch hardware and technical limits.

Watch what happens to the sales charts for PS and Xbox when Switch 2 shows up.

Mistake to take it dogmatically that there’s no competition from Nintendo.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Microsoft is putting games on more platforms to save their division.
Sony is putting games on PC to maximize profit.

Major difference.

Microsoft is putting their games everywhere to make BANK. It's the same thing.

When Sony wants even more profit, we will see games day one on pc. It's coming, we all know it is.

Last edited:
Microsoft is putting games on more platforms to save their division.
Sony is putting games on PC to maximize profit.

Major difference.
MS strategy ensures they wont have to overspend on hardware and platform.

Their metascores are also low which means they don’t fund journalists/ youtubers either.

Gamepass means they don’t need them, people can just play the game and see for themselves.

I think they are setting up themselves to do well financially.

On top, gamepass is going to have a massive library. Very appealing to anyone newly jumping into it.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
MS strategy ensures they wont have to overspend on hardware and platform.

Their metascores are also low which means they don’t fund journalists/ youtubers either.

Gamepass means they don’t need them, people can just play the game and see for themselves.

I think they are setting up themselves to do well financially.

On top, gamepass is going to have a massive library. Very appealing to anyone newly jumping into it.

- Console sales are below their projections.
- Game Pass subscribers are below their projections.

The fact that gamers love Game Pass doesn't change the fact that it's not performing well according to leaked documents by Microsoft.

Microsoft stopped Redfall, Hi-Fi Rush, Starfield, and Indiana Jones from appearing on PlayStation shortly after the Zenimax acquisition.

Now they're trying to port more games to competing platforms.

Xbox fans refuse to acknowledge the failures within their division. This new "strategy" from Microsoft after all the leaked documents should be a wake up call as to what's going on within their division, but no, you want to pretend everything has been great all along.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Anyone that believes this fluff is naive.

Its Sony' choice. Sony told them to say this. Point blank. Developers don't want to waste time porting to a shitty weak console to lessen their game.

Last edited:
- Console sales are below their projections.
- Game Pass subscribers are below their projections.

The fact that gamers love Game Pass doesn't change the fact that it's not performing well according to leaked documents by Microsoft.

Microsoft stopped Redfall, Hi-Fi Rush, Starfield, and Indiana Jones from appearing on PlayStation shortly after the Zenimax acquisition.

Now they're trying to port more games to competing platforms.

Xbox fans refuse to acknowledge the failures within their division. This new "strategy" from Microsoft after all the leaked documents should be a wake up call as to what's going on within their division, but no, you want to pretend everything has been great all along.
Well, Redfall didn’t launch is finished state.

Starfield was polished at launch, but only now it’s coming together properly.

Both these examples doesn’t look like someone trying hard to sell their consoles.

They always had this plan that they are following now. Also the reason why they could purchase Acti-Blizz.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Well, Redfall didn’t launch is finished state.

Starfield was polished at launch, but only now it’s coming together properly.

Both these examples doesn’t look like someone trying hard to sell their consoles.

They always had this plan that they are following now. Also the reason why they could purchase Acti-Blizz.

They stopped the development of the PS5 version of Starfield.
Microsoft renegotiated the contract for Indiana Jones to make it exclusive.

They wouldn't do this unless they were trying to grow their ecosystem.

They're not trying hard to sell their console? lol.

They had an extended steep discount for their hardware and revealed it sold below expectations.

Its time to face the facts.

They stopped the development of the PS5 version of Starfield.
Microsoft renegotiated the contract for Indiana Jones to make it exclusive.

They wouldn't do this unless they were trying to grow their ecosystem.

They're not trying hard to sell their console? lol.

They had an extended steep discount for their hardware and revealed it sold below expectations.

Its time to face the facts.
So they have the exclusives, discounts, quality console.

Why is it not selling as well? Enlighten me.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
So they have the exclusives, discounts, quality console.

Why is it not selling as well? Enlighten me.

Microsoft has struggled to release big exclusives consistently for nearly 10 years now. They have been far behind the competition. One or two years of great exclusives aren't going to change overnight, they have to change years of damage that has been done to the brand.

You have to admit they struggled with big exclusives after the 360 generation while the competition was releasing hit after hit that was selling millions of copies.

Varteras

Gold Member
I don't think porting Helldivers 2 to Xbox changes the dynamic of the "console war." Though it probably changes the dynamics of Helldivers 2 as a property.

I think the only argument is that they don't want to give more reasons to existing users to hold on to their current console, but putting Helldivers 2 on xbox isn't going to actively sell xboxes.

Like I said, I'm not convinced that they aren't fully into the idea of denying Xbox every chance they get.

And I'm pretty sure you're wrong about Bungie. Bungie wanted control over what they make and where they put it. They have a level of autonomy. They actually publish their own games. As long as they reach financial goals that satisfy the clause, they get to keep operating at a level of independence.

I don't think Astrobot is about selling tons of copies. It probably didn't cost that much to make as it is. It's not a tentpole franchise. It very much falls into that "Experimental" category as LEGO Horizon does. Yet here we are. No Switch version. No PC version.

Could they do that later? Possibly. But I also think Sony is fine to just have games on their platform that don't go anywhere else. Also have to consider the possibility that Nintendo wouldn't want it on their platform, seeing as how it is so obviously a PlayStation nostalgia game. I doubt they'd want a game that is basically screaming "PLAY PLAYSTATION"!

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

2 year old research.

But to the relevant part of the discussion, Sony's pivot in strategy is pretty well documented over the last 3, 4 months. So they're getting in the same boat now.

Killjoy-NL

2 year old research.
Those 2 years make no difference. Probably even increased Sony marketshare, if anything.
But to the relevant part of the discussion, Sony's pivot in strategy is pretty well documented over the last 3, 4 months. So they're getting in the same boat now.

Well yeah, they've been saying so since 2019.

Lego Horizon just happens to be a curveball nobody had foreseen.

FeralEcho

Can't wait to get a PC next gen and be done with all this shit.

They've completely lost the plot and resemble Microsoft with their mixed messaging.

"We care about exclusives.... that's why we'll release games on Switch and PC now."

"We care about single player games.... that's why we'll now focus on our gaas initiative"

"We believe in generations.... that's why we'll release games on PS4/PS5 for 4 years into the new gen"

At this point they are either gaslighting or just plain retarded and completely forgot what got them to where they are now or just so full of themselves they feel they won't fail. Microsoft also had that same feeling at one point.Now no one buys their hardware lol

XMOwi8y.jpeg

Topher

Gold Member
The Lego contract states

We at Lego at anytime we like can invade the Sony HQ and take any IP owned by Sony and use it as we see fit and Sony can not do anything about it

At least that's what like a dozen people here want us to believe

"We at Sony at anytime we like can invade the Lego HQ and take any IP owned by Lego and use it as we see fit and Lego can not do anything about it"

That works too bro

midnightAI

Anyone that believes this fluff is naive.

Its Sony' choice. Sony told them to say this. Point blank. Developers don't want to waste time porting to a shitty weak console to lessen their game.
Guerrilla aren't developing it though

As far as Guerrilla are concerned though, they do want it in as many hands as possible, the more people playing your IP the better.

But you are correct in that it won't have been Guerrillas choice as to what platforms it goes on, out of the four parties involved Guerrilla will have about as much say as Studio Gobo

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
You can't be serious. :-/

I think you underestimate what a good Live Service game can do for a console.

Yeah, I don't understand that mentality either. It sold over 12 million copies in a matter of a few months. Even if only, say, 5 million of those were PS5, that's still a ton of copies in that time for a game that came out of left field for how popular it got. It was all the rage on TikTok, Youtube Shorts, and social media in general. Dudes made cover songs of its main theme. I find it incredibly ignorant to believe it didn't end up selling people on a PS5. Shit, I worked with a dude who was excited because his wife bought him a PS5 for his birthday and he had been wanting to play Helldivers.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Because technology is scalable these days, more then ever.

Release a handheld ps6 lower quality while a console version is there for much better fidelity

There’s a big market for it, and switch 2 could capture market share against ps5 due to third party titles being portable

This physically isn't possible! Not unless the PS6 is the smallest leap of all time. Again the bolded just isn't possible.

I dunno….I’d even say the same thing about helldivers 2. Live service games should be on everything if these guys are talking about making as much money from as many customers as possible.

But Sony isn't trying to make as much money as possible with their Live Service games either. Them locking their future GAAS games to linking to a PSN account shows you that they aren't trying to 100% maximize revenue AT ALL COST. It's extremely obvious.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
The Lego contract states

We at Lego at anytime we like can invade the Sony HQ and take any IP owned by Sony and use it as we see fit and Sony can not do anything about it

At least that's what like a dozen people here want us to believe
A few people were still questioning this contract after the Horizon reveal. So Lego called up Herman and put 3 Lego games on PS+ just as a show of force.

Exactly as i said, get the family friendly audience into Horizon Lego and then release the third game and they'll want a ps5 to play it.

Yea this is what I thought as well. Apparently there is an MMO coming as well. Now is the time to get as many people interested in this franchise as possible. If they can line up the TV show with the MMO release (or maybe give the MMO a few months to breath first) it could do very well for them if the show is good.

Top Bottom