• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Life' the follow-up to Planet Earth, narrated by David Attenborough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Is this pre-order for a US release of the BBC version? If so, I'm in.

Planet Earth was the primary reason I bought my PS3. I didn't even hear about Life until I saw a commercial for it on Discovery. Fuck Oprah, though.

ymmv

Banned
For Dutch Gaf: De Volkskrant online store now sells the 4 disc Blu-Ray edition for only 30 euro. The disc menus are in Dutch but they're easy to understand. Dutch subs can be turned off. The discs are region free.

Life to premiere on 7 networks
Discovery Communications has announced that Discovery Channel’s next landmark natural history series, LIFE, from the makers of PLANET EARTH, will have its two-hour premiere across seven Discovery U.S. networks. In addition to Discovery Channel, LIFE will debut simultaneously on TLC, Animal Planet, Science Channel, Investigation Discovery, Planet Green and Discovery Health Channel from 8-10PM ET on Sunday, March 21, 2010. The remainder of the series will air on consecutive Sundays from 8-10PM ET through April 18 only on Discovery Channel.

“PLANET EARTH captivated the world unlike any other natural history series before or since…until now,” said Clark Bunting, president and general manager, Discovery Channel and president, Science Channel. “LIFE embodies Discovery’s 25-year mission to satisfy viewers’ curiosity about the world and its inhabitants. We want to give as many viewers as possible the opportunity to experience LIFE in its premiere telecast; we are confident they will be astounded.”

Discovery launched six HD simulcasts for its networks over the past three years, which will allow HD subscribers to watch the premiere of LIFE in high definition on the following channels: Discovery Channel HD; TLC HD; Animal Planet HD; Science Channel HD; Investigation Discovery HD; and Planet Green HD.

“Our investment in HD allows us to drive extraordinary value for our distributors and give millions more viewers access to this groundbreaking television event as it was meant to be experienced, in true high-definition,” added David Zaslav, president and CEO, Discovery Communications.

Narrated by global media leader and philanthropist Oprah Winfrey and more than four years in the making, the 11-part series LIFE is the definitive exploration of the adaptability and diversity of life on earth, revealing the most spectacular, bizarre and fascinating behaviors that living things have devised to thrive. The premiere episode of LIFE, Challenges of Life, provides an overview and sets the stage for the ambitious series. A special Making Of episode caps the series and tells the incredible stories of the dozens of men and women who spent days, weeks and months patiently waiting for a perfect shot. Other episodes showcase Birds, deep sea marine invertebrates (Creatures of the Deep), Fish, hunting mammals (Hunters and Hunted), Insects, Mammals, Plants, Primates, and Reptiles & Amphibians.

Following its premiere across the seven Discovery U.S. networks, LIFE will air in two-episode installments each Sunday on Discovery Channel and Discovery Channel HD from 8-10PM ET/PT, culminating with The Making of LIFE at 10PM on April 18.

Discovery Channel’s epic series PLANET EARTH rewrote TV history in 2007 when it became cable’s highest-rated natural history program of all time, with more than 65 million viewers. (cume, all dayparts, 1-min. qualifier, including the two-hour “Filmmakers’ Story” special). For its achievements, PLANET EARTH earned four Emmys, a George Foster Peabody, and a Television Academy Honors Award.

LIFE is a BBC and Discovery Channel co-production. Mike Gunton is the executive producer for the BBC. Susan Winslow is the executive producer for Discovery Channel. Discovery Channel and the BBC also created the award-winning natural history series PLANET EARTH and BLUE PLANET.
Source

In terms of the Blu-ray releases, expect the BBC Warner version with Sir David's narration to be released at same time as the Discovery version narrated by Oprah.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
I never got around to purchasing Planet Earth, should I skip it and get Life instead?

I really don't need 2 fully loaded nature docs nor do I have the time to watch them both.

So which series will give the best HD experience?

Jesus Carbomb said:
I never got around to purchasing Planet Earth, should I skip it and get Life instead?

I really don't need 2 fully loaded nature docs nor do I have the time to watch them both.

I'd go with Planet Earth personally. Life is great, astonishing at times, but it is slightly repetitive.

Jesus Carbomb said:

Get Planet Earth.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Before I buy this, can I get the definitive decision on which version of the Planet Earth blu-ray is the best? (I heard there are multiple versions) and if I can buy that in the US?

Been wanting it for ages, but the announcement of this just urged me to hurry up and get it as soon as I can.

Want to see this SO BADLY! I grew up as a kid watching Animal Planet instead of Nickelodeon lol.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Dogenzaka said:
Before I buy this, can I get the definitive decision on which version of the Planet Earth blu-ray is the best? (I heard there are multiple versions) and if I can buy that in the US?

Been wanting it for ages, but the announcement of this just urged me to hurry up and get it as soon as I can.

Want to see this SO BADLY! I grew up as a kid watching Animal Planet instead of Nickelodeon lol.
Best version of Planet Earth is the one narrated by David Attenborough.

Edit: AMAZON

Life article

LifeUS.png

There are moments in “Life,” the Discovery Channel’s follow-up to the widely acclaimed nature series “Planet Earth,” when a viewer can’t help wonder: How in the world did they capture that on camera?

To find and unobtrusively film animals, “you’ve got to get down into their world,” said Kevin Flay, a veteran cameraman who devoted more than 15 months to “Life.”

For an astonishing sequence in the first episode, which has its premiere on Sunday, that meant finding a way to be on eye level with a frog the width of a human fingernail.

Wildlife series are defined by the impossible-to-get shot the same way that summer blockbusters are defined by a nail-biting car chase or an over-the-top explosion. “The bar is set so high now,” said Mike Gunton, the executive producer of “Life.” Still, the sequences in the series could fill more than a few movie trailers.

In that first episode viewers see a strawberry dart frog’s tadpoles come to life, then watch the mother carry each baby up a rainforest tree to a safe perch inside a bromeliad plant. Then they see the mother lay eggs to feed the newborns until they can move on their own, weeks later. Without any dialogue the shots tell a gripping story about a mother’s commitment to her offspring.

For Mr. Flay, who camped out for weeks in the Costa Rican jungle to get the shots, a miniature camera was critical, and having patience was probably almost as important.

He planned for the trip carefully, mapping out what types of cameras he would need. He settled on something called an Iconix, a camera “a bit bigger than a lady’s lipstick,” he said, that can be placed close to the animals.

Local experts helped Mr. Flay and his production partner, an assistant producer named Tom Clarke, find spots in the rainforest where male frogs were guarding groups of eggs. “From there we knew we had a story, and we had a starting point,” Mr. Flay said. Soon the mother would be there to feed her tadpoles.

Mr. Flay mounted the Iconix camera on a tripod and a track to capture the mother making her way across the canopy floor. Then he had to find a way to show the frog making the arduous climb up a tree to find a new home for her tadpoles.

“For that, we decided we needed to take some sort of crane device,” he said, “just to help give the sense of the epic journey the frog was taking.”

After the cameras were set, “it’s just patience — waiting for the frog to do the right thing for you,” he said.

Mr. Flay, 51, first entered the natural history field in the mid-1980s, and has contributed to many of the landmark nature programs by David Attenborough, including “Trials of Life” and “Life in Cold Blood.”

While on location the cameramen work the same hours as the animals they are tracking. To film the frogs, that meant entering the rainforest by 6 a.m. and staying until dusk. Merely keeping the frogs in camera focus was difficult because of their small size.

More often than not, Mr. Flay said, he finds himself living in the vicinity of the animals. Costa Rica was an exception, he said, because there was a hotel “just down the road.” But in the jungle in Madagascar recently, he said, he stayed in a wooden shack that was infested with snakes and rats.

For “Life” he filmed Komodo dragons, star-nosed moles and other animals.

Like “Planet Earth,” which wowed viewers with stunning high-definition sequences three years ago, “Life” was commissioned by the BBC in partnership with Discovery, which owns the rights in the United States. The BBC generally shows the series first, and Discovery follows months later. After “Life” comes “Human Planet,” a look at indigenous peoples and their relationship to their environment, and “Frozen Planet,” about the north and south poles. Discovery has not specified when it will show either series, but premieres in 2011 and 2012 are likely.

In the United States the 11 hours of “Life” will be screened two hours at a time on Discovery on Sunday nights. For Discovery “it’s a great brand-definitional show,” said David M. Zaslav, the chief executive of Discovery Communications, the channel’s parent company.

The first two episodes will be shown simultaneously on seven of the company’s channels, in an effort to promote the other installments of the series. After “Life” completes its run on Discovery, the episodes will be shown again in order on the Animal Planet channel.

The company hopes that “Life” — which is narrated in the United States version by Oprah Winfrey — has the same impact as “Planet Earth,” called the most expensive nature documentary ever produced.

Mr. Gunton is now starting work on a series about Africa. He said each of the series take “between three and five years to make.”

The pressure placed on the cameramen to capture never-before-seen animal and plant behaviors makes them “very strange people, actually,” Mr. Gunton said.

“They have the ability to chill and cope with long periods of boredom, yet when the moment comes, they have the ability to switch on instantly,” he said. “They’re like gunfighters.”
Source

Not seeing much discussion about the show but I've seen the first 4 episodes.

Gotta say, I was expecting this to be a step below Planet Earth... but I think I'm enjoying it more.

The camerawork is amazing. Some of the shots they pulled off are just unbelieveable.

And the animals they highlight are incredibly diverse and unique. Makes you love our planet even more.

Some notable moments:

-lions pushing hyena away. Then the hyena returns with her "crew" and returns the favor.
-seeing the flying fish fly and seeing how they fertilize their young
-mountain goat outrunning fox on a near vertical cliff face
-mudskipper excavating and breathing ear into cave for young

One annoyance is the fucking Target logo. It's like, wow great introduction and then it fades into the Target icon. What the fuck seriously.

Tenks

I didn't like Life nearly as much as planet earth. Some episodes were fuck-all boring. Creatures of the deep, insects and plants were all a snooze fest for me, personally. Hunters/hunted was great and primates was fuck-all awesome.

Tenks said:
I didn't like Life nearly as much as planet earth. Some episodes were fuck-all boring. Creatures of the deep, insects and plants were all a snooze fest for me, personally. Hunters/hunted was great and primates was fuck-all awesome.

Funny, I loved insects and plants episodes, didn't like primates much.

No the update does not fix the problem with the import version of BBC Life on US PS3’s (with or without a 50Hz capable TV). I do not understand why this was said on a few difference blogs now. Gonna have to keep waiting for that June 1 North America release.

At least one person so far as said that firmware 3.30 does NOT fix the issue with the UK version of BBC Life :(

Finished watching the UK Blu-ray version (WTF, I did not know about this series before seeing this thread and Planet Earth was one of my first Blu-rays).

Really good stuff, though I would say Planet Earth in total is still better and shows more interesting scenes.
You really NEED to buy/watch both, so it doesn't matter :p

Picture quality is well above Planet Earth or a better wording is to say it's consistent at a very high level ALL the time (not the case for PE at all, also my PE Blu-ray version has this strange flickering in some dark/black parts, not very fortunate for some of the episodes).
They also have some sick camera usage/angles, plus some of the chase scenes etc. are way more intense than the ones in PE. With sound (effects) and camera position they can even turn the flight of a little mouse (?) from a lizard into a movie styled action scene :lol

The 10 minutes "on location" making-ofs after each episodes - while interesting - should have been extra materials for the disc release IMO.
Because now the episodes are basically ten minutes shorter than the PE ones (though some episodes&stuff feels like they are out of interesting material anyway, if they don't want to show the same animals etc. from the last few epic BBC documentaries).
Showing the tricks for the long timelaps shots like in the plant episodes also kinda destroys the magic :lol

MrPliskin

Banned
xBerserker said:
At least one person so far as said that firmware 3.30 does NOT fix the issue with the UK version of BBC Life :(

Huh, I ordered off Amazon.com and it works perfectly fine for me. David Attenborough version here (F U OPRAH). I can vouch that it's up and running on my FW 3.30 Slim.

Edit: Just to clarify, it's running 1080p@ 24hz. Dunno if that's important or not.

DJ_Lae

They've only aired Mammals and Fish up here in Canada (that I know of), although at least it's the Attenborough version.

Mammals was interesting (loved the falling asleep meerkats) but Fish was boring as hell. I guess it hurts that I also have the Blue Planet series and got bored of that too - you can only watch so many fish being herded into balls and eaten before it drives you insane. It's like, oh hey, here's the neat, unique species, and watch how it feeds just like dozens of other species we've already mined to death in this series.

I swear they used some of the same footage for Life (and Planet Earth) too, which becomes a little more obvious when you get SD clips in your HD.

methos75

Banned
I am thinking I am going to get angry come Tuesday, only version Best Buy is hyping is the terrible Oprah version and I talked to some in in the store, and he doubts they get the real version.

DisneyNature has a new movie coming out next year called African Cats. Is the footage from that exclusively new or just re-edited stuff from Planet Earth/Life?

Haven't seen Life yet but I'll cop the Blu-Ray once I get a bigger TV :D

is this coming to any digital distribution stores at the same time? (Zune/Amazon/iTunes/etc.)

On a somewhat related note, is there a site that does release dates for digitally distributed videos?

methos75 said:
The Oprah version is 1080i for some damn reason, but the real BBC version is 1080p/24
And the BBC version is also 100 minutes longer for some reason. The special features on the Oprah edition are only standard def, where they are HD on the BBC version. All for the same price. I am confused as to why they didnt just give us both audio tracks on one release to avoid confusion.

PhoncipleBone said:
And the BBC version is also 100 minutes longer for some reason. The special features on the Oprah edition are only standard def, where they are HD on the BBC version. All for the same price. I am confused as to why they didnt just give us both audio tracks on one release to avoid confusion.
You try fitting oprah onto a blu Ray without making any sacrifices. Go ahead, give it a shot.

methos75

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:

The BBC one has the Plants episode, its not on the Oprah edition.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
My BBC set is scheduled to arrive on Tuesday from Amazon. Very excited!!!!

Zzoram

Amazon.ca has preorders for the BBC Life formated for NA region players dated for June 1 but that sounds suspiciously like a placeholder. I don't think it has the BBC Life + Planet Earth boxset but if that is on Amazon.ca, I'll probably buy it instead.

I'm concerned about the recycled footage. I think it would've been better to use different footage of the same animals than to use the exact same footage. As for Planet Earth vs Life, which is more fun to watch? Which is better to rewatch? Is it better to watch Ep1 of Life last or first? How much time did you leave between watching episodes for the reused footage to annoy you? How is the picture quality of Life compared to Planet Earth? Did the 50hz to 60hz conversion mess anything up?

Zzoram

So Amazon.ca has a horrible bundle. Apparently instead of getting to awesome UK Life + Planet Earth bundle, Canada has the Oprah Life with the Sir DA Planet Earth. Why would they mix Oprah in? UGHUGHUGH

I guess I'll have to buy them seperately to get the BBC versions of both from Amazon.ca

Walshicus

DJ_Lae said:
They've only aired Mammals and Fish up here in Canada (that I know of), although at least it's the Attenborough version.

Mammals was interesting (loved the falling asleep meerkats) but Fish was boring as hell. I guess it hurts that I also have the Blue Planet series and got bored of that too - you can only watch so many fish being herded into balls and eaten before it drives you insane. It's like, oh hey, here's the neat, unique species, and watch how it feeds just like dozens of other species we've already mined to death in this series.

I swear they used some of the same footage for Life (and Planet Earth) too, which becomes a little more obvious when you get SD clips in your HD.
The deep sea episode of Planet Earth was best... yeah I can sympathise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom