• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Life' the follow-up to Planet Earth, narrated by David Attenborough

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys realize there is no visible difference between 1080i and 1080p if the source material was shot in 24fps (like bascially all movies etc.)?
1080i vs. 1080p basically only matters for gaming.

Though I'm not sure if this is also true if your HDTV can do 1080p24 (but only accepting it doesn't count here)

That said, at least some of the UK Blu-ray episodes are in 1080i. I did notice the "popup" of my HDTV in the "later" episodes but I didn't go back to check if the others were 1080i as well.
The back says only some of the content "e.g. credit rollers" is in 1080i.

Zzoram

The BBC David Attenborough Life for NA region is officially out today. How are people enjoying it? Mine doesn't ship for a few days.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Did that deal just completely evaporate before my eyes?

I put in a cancellation for my $44 DN order because I thought I could get it cheaper and now it seems I have become totally fucked.

Edit: Yeah ow, I am fucked

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Screw it, I just got Amazon prime, I'll take $50.99 for delicious BBC Attenborough 1080p goodness by the end of the week. Just got a glossy new monitor to watch it on too.

By the by, has anyone else here watched almost all of Planet Earth
stoned
?

Decado

On a side-note, Planet Earth is 18 pounds at amazon.co.uk.

I'm sure it plays on NA PS3's...but does *everything* work (special features, etc.)?

nilbog21

Banned
Hawkian said:
Screw it, I just got Amazon prime, I'll take $50.99 for delicious BBC Attenborough 1080p goodness by the end of the week. Just got a glossy new monitor to watch it on too.

stoned
?

ya man, so humbling and depressing D:

Get'sMad

Hawkian said:
stoned
?

Yeah I have and now I'm mad I saw this thread because I didn't realize this was out and I ran out of pot this weekend.

Fuck.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Got my Amazon pre-order yesterday. The kids and I watched about 90mins. Awesome as usual, loved the Reptiles and Amphibians part. That little lizzard who could not break the surface tension of water was cool.

Zzoram

At Futureshop, they are sold out of the Blu-ray David Attenborough version but every single copy of the Blu-ray Oprah version is still there :lol

I can't wait until I get my Amazon.ca delivery, hopefully tomorrow.

KnightM7

Banned
What are the chances the makers of these documentaries are evil as hell? some of these sequences just seem too perfect for the cameramen to not have forced it.
ie. a seal just 'happens' to be separated from its herd into a family of killer whales.. a turtle just 'happens' to be crossing a highway the same time a cameraman is there..

Zzoram

KnightM7 said:
What are the chances the makers of these documentaries are evil as hell? some of these sequences just seem too perfect for the cameramen to not have forced it.
ie. a seal just 'happens' to be separated from its herd into a family of killer whales.. a turtle just 'happens' to be crossing a highway the same time a cameraman is there..

In 1958, White Wilderness (Disney Nature) producers imported lemmings and tossed them off a cliff because at the time the myth of lemming mass suicide hadn't been debunked yet. There was a CBC (Canadian version of BBC) documentary about it and other instances of animal abuse behind the scenes of TV/movies/documentaries :lol

I'm pretty sure that's been reduced since the criticism received from that, but I can't say with certainty that no production companies ever intervene to make things more interesting.

KnightM7 said:

If you let 71 cameramen/women film stuff around the world for over 2000 days (stats of Planet Earth), with the specific knowledge (and attendance) of local scientists, chances are you get some outstanding&random footage to fill 10 hours worth of episodes, w/o the need to throw seals in front of orcas.

Burger

KnightM7 said:

Did they not air the making of that bit directly after the episode ? If you got to see it, you would realise just how lucky they were in getting those shots.

No_Style

We finished watching the first episode including the "behind the scenes" bit yesterday and I was simply amazed by it. Excellent audio/visual presentation! The close up of the chameleon was jaw dropping. Wow!

Geoff9920

Burger said:
Did they not air the making of that bit directly after the episode ? If you got to see it, you would realise just how lucky they were in getting those shots.
I've only seen the first episode so far, but that 15 minute making of bit at the end gave me a huge appreciation for how much work/luck go into getting some of these incredible moments on film. Loved the first episode, definitely need to watch more.

mrkgoo

SolidusDave said:
If you let 71 cameramen/women film stuff around the world for over 2000 days (stats of Planet Earth), with the specific knowledge (and attendance) of local scientists, chances are you get some outstanding&random footage to fill 10 hours worth of episodes, w/o the need to throw seals in front of orcas.
Seriously. That's what, 5 years of 71 teams filming, probably close to fullrime? Not necessarily recording, but just like photography, you create your art by patience and knowledge and a bit of luck. There Doyle be thousands of hours of work behind that 3 minute clip. Thats the wonder of it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
jorma said:
Yes, it's awesome that way :p

It makes the time lapse stuff even more mindblowing at the cost of "omg run go get away!!!!!!!" @ innocent creatures getting hunted

The Barnes and Noble deal keeps coming and going. Most of the codes I see are for first-time online buyers. This code (H9D8P4R) was honored and brought it down to $44. In the end, I canceled and will stick with my Amazon pre-order. It's a few bucks more, but Amazon might lower their price in the meantime and I won't have to wait 1-2 weeks.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Just ordered the Blu-ray on Amazon.

Is this as good, better, or worse than Planet Earth?

Zzoram

Also, I just realized that even though they used Oprah for the US release, they know she is inferior because the Oprah version has a "Music Only" audio track option so you don't have to hear her voice :lol

btw, what is this?
|
|
v

rAzvn.jpg

a magnified reflection of the captured seal on the wave?

it's in the episode "Hunters And Hunted"
Chapter 5, the orcas leave with their prey @ 47min 30sec (PAL time), just before Chapter 6 (the making-of part)

freaks me out :lol

Zzoram

Reptiles and Amphibians is such a good episode. That strawberry poison dart frog and hydrophobic gecko were the highlights for me.

nbcjr

Can anyone confirm if as of now a US slim ps3 can play the UK blu-ray of life? My only option is to buy a UK one.

Thanks

mj1108

For anyone who hasn't bought this yet, right now Barnes & Noble (online only) has the Blu Ray and DVD versions for $19.99 each. The links below are for the Attenborough version (although the Oprah version is also $19.99):

Blu Ray version
DVD version

Use the coupon code Y8N8X4M for an extra 10% off.

I ordered the Blu Ray version.....after shipping and tax it came to $22 and change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom