• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII launches in Japan with low sales of 277k

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Square needs to stop taking so much damned time producing games for the FF series not to mention blowing the budget on all the stupid CG bullshit.

You would have think they would have learned their lesson from that shitty movie they did way back when but apparently not.

Midou

I have almost never in my entire ~20 years of gaming wanted a game to fail, but for once I am glad. Get this shit out of here.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Square needs to stop taking so much damned time producing games for the FF series not to mention blowing the budget on all the stupid CG bullshit.

You would have think they would have learned their lesson from that shitty movie they did way back when but apparently not.

Are you in the right topic? FFXIII-2 and LR have been developed in less than 2 yrs and they're good games too.

Doesn't Famitsu include stores that Media Create doesn't track? If so the truer number is from Famitsu. But I guess I understand why he used the lower number.

The number vary. Media Create has more vita sales but less 3DS sales. GTA 5 has 594 K sales with Media Create and 540 K sales with Famitsu. To me, it's more based on preference.

Yeah 301k slightly changes things. Should be updated asap!

It's 22,000.

socialQ

Banned
It has finally happened. The epic conclusion to Lightning's saga launched in Japan last week and the first week sales are in. The results are disastrous, showing another 50% drop from the already low launch sales of previous entry.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20131127061/

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) - 277,082

Comparison of launch week sales for the FFXIII series:

2009: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) - 1,501,964
2011: Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3) - 524,217
2013: Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) - 277,082

DAT DECLINE.

Yes!

good.

maybe they can go back to making games that are good. Look at Pre-FFXII games.

Midou

Firing Toryiama may not actually accomplish much since I think the decay in Square Enix is deeper than that, it would sure make me feel better.

Ito gotta eat too.

I think it makes sense to edit the thread title in case this thread gets cited about sales in the future - I suspect that this discussion is far from over (i.e. we'll have it all over again when LR launches in NA/EU). It probably makes sense to include both numbers, though, if there's room for enough characters (so people don't compare LR:FFXIII's Famitsu numbers to another game's Media Create numbers or vice versa).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
No one needs to be fired. Maybe make some switching around in the top.
Then put someone in a corner office.

There is immense talent at SE. The reason why they keep making the wrong thing is because their corporate culture is fundamentally flawed.

They need different producers entirely. They need to restructure and turn this thing into an Asian Disney. The potential in the IP deserves better, and money talks....

KoopaTheCasual

Do you want to know the definition of insanity?

Doing the same has just got them deeper into this whole. Heads need to roll if SE Japan wants to relevant over the coming gen.
I don't think anyone needs to be fired. I think shuffling people around is more than fine, or just overseeing Toriyama stories with much more care! I mean, alongside a game as divisive as LR, we got ARR, which by all accounts is a fantastic game. The talent is most certainly still there. Square's problem has just perpetually been management.

I think it makes sense to edit the thread title in case this thread gets cited about sales in the future - I suspect that this discussion is far from over (i.e. we'll have it all over again when LR launches in NA/EU). It probably makes sense to include both numbers, though, if there's room for enough characters (so people don't compare LR:FFXIII's Famitsu numbers to another game's Media Create numbers or vice versa).

Again, they are both official sources. And it's too late for that anyway, the media has 100+ articles citing the number. I honestly don't care, but again... it's ~22,000, with both numbers being from trusted sources.

Perfo

It's 22,000.

Breaking the barrier of 300k is quite important :p - this topic wouldn't even had the same impact with that written there, maybe not even existing. Because 300k are actually a decent amount of copies sold, and should reach 400-500k in its cycle.

Of course it should've sold 2ml copies for me because it deserves it, but we live in a world in which people prefer to wait 7 yrs and then complain instead of being able to complain within shorter time!

Idk why anyone is happy. I get it, the 13 games left something to be desired compared to its predecessors.

They took a chance with the new engine and it failed. With decreased sales, don't plan on them ever taking risks again. Plan on them being even more conservative. In any case, this is the worst thing that could happen since all their acquired IPs from Eidos have been selling well.

I wouldn't expect them to release more than three AAA JRPGs this generation. (I'm lowering my expectations greatly so that I can be happy in the end)

Esura

Banned
Do you want to know the definition of insanity?

Doing the same has just got them deeper into this whole. Heads need to roll if SE Japan wants to relevant over the coming gen.

People wanted Wada removed and we got a seemingly worse top dog from a gamer's perspective so I'm not jumping for joy at other higher ups getting fired, force retired, or put into irrelevant positions to only get replaced with worse people.

Then put someone in a corner office.

There is immense talent at SE. The reason why they keep making the wrong thing is because their corporate culture is fundamentally flawed.

They need different producers entirely. They need to restructure and turn this thing into an Asian Disney. The potential in the IP deserves better, and money talks....

That's why they need to restructure. Switch some people here, put some people there and the like.

Toth

300k is a more rounded and probably more accurate number. 22k is a lot nowadays in that market. That's like a fifth of Mario 3D Land sales o_O

Perfo

300k is a more rounded and probably more accurate number. 22k is a lot nowadays in that market. That's like a fifth of Mario 3D Land sales o_O

Also 22k more fans loving Waifu, that's also important. In the end I think we can shrink the core-base of FF into the people that will buy LR:FFXIII. They (we) passed the final test, the only true enduring fans the series has. The others are casual gamers that randomly buy one iteration or another one because they find something attractive in it.

But we are the true ones!!! HAIL!

Also 22k more fans loving Waifu, that's also important. In the end I think we can shrink the core-base of FF into the people that will buy LR:FFXIII. They (we) passed the final test, the only true enduring fans the series has. The others are casual gamers that randomly buy one iteration or another one because they find something attractive in it.

hFlDOLh.png

LuuKyK

hi5.gif

Toth

Well, I am a fan of every single FF ever despite their flaws (yes, even FF2). So aside from the Waifu thing, which is creepy enough as is, I sure am an enduring fan!

But Perfo, I thought you didn't like earlier FFs?

Perfo

But Perfo, I thought you didn't like earlier FFs?

? I like every single FF, all spinoffs included - crappy ones too. I have my preferences though and certanly I vastly prefer the FF following VII than the ones that came before it. It's also because I got to live and grow up with post-VII titles while discovering the pre-VII only at a later age/stage.

The most important FFs in my life have been 7, 12, 13.

Top 3 characters: Cloud, Lightning, Sephiroth

Top 3 fans: Me, Toth, Lyuukkk

Top 3 Nemesis: duckroll, kagari, haters

I can make a list for everything you desire.

You can't even write my name properly. Wtf. Son, I am disappointed.
l

image.php

? I like every single FF, all spinoffs included - crappy ones too. I have my preferences though and certanly I vastly prefer the FF following VII than the ones that came before it. It's also because I got to live and grow up with post-VII titles while discovering the pre-VII only at a later age/stage.

The most important FFs in my life have been 7, 12, 13.

Top 3 characters: Cloud, Lightning, Sephiroth

Top 3 fans: Me, Toth, Lyuukkk

Top 3 Nemesis: duckroll, kagari, haters

I can make a list for everything you desire.

image.php

do you like dirge of cerberus
This is just week 1. Sales might pick up.
Unfortunately for a great many games, it doesn't work that way in Japan. The used game market is extremely aggressive there these days, which means that sales don't "improve" - they either drop off drastically (fairly common) or they end up having serious legs, but I'm pretty sure I can't remember sales of a title *improving* from one week to the next.

Perfo

Squenix you'll fool no one anymore .

They certanly fooled me into buying:

- Lightning Ultimate Box
- LR: FFXIII OST
- LR: FFXIII Play Arts Kai Lightning
- reservation for LR: FFXIII limited bonus PAL PS3
- reservation for LR: FFXIII limited bonus PAL 360
- reservation for LR: FFXIII collector's game guide

and if announced in future: reservation for Ultimania Omega

more will come.

do you like dirge of cerberus

No but I have to say yes, so yes.

This is just week 1. Sales might pick up.

Actually just 3 days sir.

tauroxd

They certanly fooled me into buying:

- Lightning Ultimate Box
- LR: FFXIII OST
- LR: FFXIII Play Arts Kai Lightning
- reservation for LR: FFXIII limited bonus PAL PS3
- reservation for LR: FFXIII limited bonus PAL 360
- reservation for LR: FFXIII collector's game guide

and if announced in future: reservation for Ultimania Omega

more will come.

No but I have to say yes, so yes.

Actually just 3 days sir.

I like you even if I'm not an FF Fanboy... But I enjoyed FFXIII A lot and played some of XIII-2 and thought it as done something good... Stopped playing for some reason, but I will finish it in time to play LR.

Perfo

I like you even if I'm not an FF Fanboy... But I enjoyed FFXIII A lot and played some of XIII-2 and thought it as done something good... Stopped playing for some reason, but I will finish it in time to play LR.

You abandoned it because it suffers of pacing problems. First half is tedious as hell, later becomes more interesting.

Like the games or not, you have to agree that Lightning has to be one of the prettiest characters ever. Those eyes.

I think she's the best character design in the series. And I'm not even kidding. Of course I speak of Light XIII. LR's one is still kinda nice but not even close to be the best one.

Do Final Fantasy characters fall into the anime type?

I don't think so. And doesn't even mean anything saying a generic anime when anime themselves are made of different styles. For one thing I'm sure: FF (Nomura's FF) got a strong identity of its own with time. It's highly recognizable.

MCD

Do we know if Square will offer DLCs for costumes? Because I can see them getting more money that way.

Worked for Tecmo so far.

Idk why anyone is happy. I get it, the 13 games left something to be desired compared to its predecessors.

I don't think many are really "happy" so much as they are "glad" its over; not to mention just exhausted from the FF13 franchise in general. Having played 13 and not enjoying much at all I'm one of those that's glad its finally over, and they can finally move on to something else.

They took a chance with the new engine and it failed. With decreased sales, don't plan on them ever taking risks again. Plan on them being even more conservative. In any case, this is the worst thing that could happen since all their acquired IPs from Eidos have been selling well.

Defeat can be more instructive then victory....etc. Maybe they'll actually learn something from this, and everything learned will be incorporated into FF15-or maybe they wont learn anything and Toriyama will be in charge again. Either way businesses deserve to fail for putting out sub par products.

Perfo

Do we know if Square will offer DLCs for costumes? Because I can see them getting more money that way.

Worked for Tecmo so far.

They're already selling DLCs outfits. Probably also monsters will be coming to the colosseum (my guess). No story episodes though.

tauroxd

You abandoned it because it suffers of pacing problems. First half is tedious as hell, later becomes more interesting.

Well that makes me want to finish it even more. And I really love the art style of the XIII series, that alone won't make me hate it and want to finish it.

Perfo

Well that makes me want to finish it even more. And I really love the art style of the XIII series, that alone won't make me hate it and want to finish it.

The ending will hype you for LR: FFXIII :p so hurry up!

Don't really care how much this sells in Japan. You'd think it's going to be the last Lightning game regardless, and I was pretty much always going to buy it.

Top Bottom