• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII launches in Japan with low sales of 277k

Asd202

I wonder what this means for already alluded to XV sequels? Looking at the sales trends for FF sequels they should just can them. While it may generate them some profit I don't think it's good for the franchise.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Why can't SE have a team start working on full HD remakes of 6, 7, 8 and 9? Those games are infinitely better than 13 - from a story, combat, exploration perspective. Please, they'd sell millions.

LOL. FF9's slow-paced combat doesn't hold a candle to that found in in the XIII series.

As a franchise, its got its faults for sure, but to say that the combat part lets it down... no way.

I'd also point out that the failure of this game is only going to harden attitudes within SE against listening to fan feedback. After specifically addressing all the complaints of linearity and lack of towns/exploration the sequels have still been rejected. The ultra linear, stripped-down version is the one that actually sold.

WHAT!

no way this is a thing. is this a thing? NO WAY!

... can we please stop making FFXIII games?!

It's over man.

Lightning returned and no one gave a shit.

Please look forward to no one giving a shit in the west and for reviews to pan it.

Please be excited.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
:lol you guys are too much. Its good to see people happy in a XIII thread for a change though.

I really hope XV sucks and bombs so people can feel how hard it is to be a fan of something that everyone else hates in here.

It will be like a personal vendetta.

sobbing.gif
sobbing.gif
sobbing.gif

It won't happen though :(

FFXV will definitely suck. Suck in the way XIII did. That means: it's a masterpiece but people don't like the series and are very loud about this. If FF7 was released today it'll be considered a shit. Jump on the wagon!

Ulumsk

Not a fan of the XIII games so far either, but holy shit this thread is DmC-esque in its schadenfreude. I guess the positive is that Squeenix will learn from their mistakes, right?

Toth

It's funny to think that it can it still be called a 'bomba' when it will probably end up in the top 6 sales in the PS3 life lol

I am FAR more worried about the horrific sales of a great nintendo game....

MechaX

It has finally happened.

We are in a world where the sequel of a mainline Tales game (Xillia 2's debut of 360k) can outsell a sequel of a mainline Final Fantasy game.

Western markets especially will largely have to re-learn to enjoy and understand what a Japanese RPG
I would rather Western markets move on from Final Fantasy. And discover other Japanese RPG franchises. I don't like the Western cultural phenomenon of thinking that Final Fantasy is particularly special or important.

Chake

Banned
The whole series is a mess. Should of just stuck with the mainline but noooooo we have to make sequels/Crystal chronicles/MMOs. It's gonna be hard to respect the series, even if FFXV turns to be godlike.

Just wait till it has it's own mini spinoffs

sonicmj1

I still do not see what 'victory' people have earned. Pettiness has reached critical mass.

Why would I be happy that Square has sullied one of its flagship franchises with a succession of mediocre outings, hurting the series' reputation both at home and abroad?

It sucks. I wish they made better Final Fantasy games this generation.

It has finally happened.

We are in a world where the sequel of a mainline Tales game (Xillia 2's debut of 360k) can outsell a sequel of a mainline Final Fantasy game.

Now that Namco and Tales surpassed FF in popularity next step is Compile Heart level of popularity.

LOL. FF9's slow-paced combat doesn't hold a candle to that found in in the XIII series.

As a franchise, its got its faults for sure, but to say that the combat part lets it down... no way.

I'd also point out that the failure of this game is only going to harden attitudes within SE against listening to fan feedback. After specifically addressing all the complaints of linearity and lack of towns/exploration the sequels have still been rejected. The ultra linear, stripped-down version is the one that actually sold.

Uhhhh disagree entirely

yeah FF9 had slower combat but it was 10 times more interesting that XIII could ever hope to be

Not to mention all the layers added on by actual functioning and varied abilities, equipment combos, etc...

As far as FFXIII selling better than its sequels... its because we didn't know it sucked at first. We all bought into it the first time. The sequels.. though mechanically better had the stink on them by sticking with the same broken characters and uninteresting story/world

they would have been better off to scrap everything and move on

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
FFXV will definitely suck. Suck in the way XIII did. That means: it's a masterpiece but people don't like the series and are very loud about this. If FF7 was released today it'll be considered a shit. Jump on the wagon!

no. wrong.

synce

This happens with virtually every direct sequel ever, unless it's on a new console

Like why would someone play Lightning Returns if they didn't play the first two? It would spoil everything

Asd202

For you people celebrating the failure of Lightning Returns, this will probably mean the SE will start making more mobile games.

Yeah I'm sure with around 1000 people working in SE japan will make only mobile games. They'll go under before that if it were to happen.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Now I'm really curious to see if FFX HD collection (PS3+Vita) can beat LR:FFXIII's first week.

DJwest

It's funny to think that it can it still be called a 'bomba' when it will probably end up in the top 6 sales in the PS3 life lol

I am FAR more worried about the horrific sales of a great nintendo game....
Top 6 ? You're joking right ? Plus why are people surprised about the 3D World sales when the system itself is a bomba ?

Conor 419

Banned
FFXIII was a brilliant, underrated game. Yet the classic types of people who hold back RPG's were overly vocal and forced Square Enix to release a title that catered more to 'fans'. As a result FFXIII has lost everything, and nothing has been gained overall

elyetis

To be fair I'm sure everyone here also called a bomba when Dark Souls did almost the same first week, and saw that as a proof that no one wanted that game and no other game of that kind should ever be made.

Skilletor

To be fair I'm sure everyone here also called a bomba when Dark Souls did almost the same first week, and saw that as a proof that no one wanted that game and no other game of that kind should ever be made.

To be fair, Dark Souls isn't Final Fantasy.

FF9's slow-paced combat
Slow paces is not necessarily a bad thing. The combat in Final Fantasy IX was also strategic. There was also preparation and strategy outside of battle. Certain items worked very well against certain enemies, up unto extremely like the Ipsen Castle.

Final Fantasy IX may not have been fast-paces, but it benefited from the fact there was no absolutely good or bad weapons and armors and so forth. Leaving variety and strategy. Good turn-based combat should allow to have multiple, varied ways of tackling a problem. And seek to challenge its users to try different strategies.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
And that's that. An abysmal gen for the series.

So the decline of Mario 3d World is also connected to it sucking and people not being interested in Mario anymore.

Or maybe... it's also a combination of a declining home market in Japan? Twist plotto?

FFXIII was a brilliant, underrated game. Yet the classic types of people who hold back RPG's were overly vocal and forced Square Enix to release a title that catered more to 'fans'. As a result FFXIII has lost everything, and nothing has been gained overall

Aside from the fast paced (but ultimately shallow) combat and pretty graphics I fail to see anything else of merit about the original game.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
So the decline of Mario 3d World is also connected to it sucking and people not interested in Mario anymore.

Or maybe... it's also a combination of a declining home market in Japan? Twist plotto?

Doesn't Japan hate 3D Mario? I thought they were all about 2D Mario everything.

And then there is the Wii U. Where Japan is all about handheld devices.

Dark_castle

I honestly don't think XV looks any more promising than XIII looked before it came out, and for all we know it's going to have the same god awful writing and voice acting and such and such that was wrong with XIII. All I've seen from XV is a weird looking all male cast and bullshit gameplay footage. Don't get me wrong, I'm hopeful, but so far there's nothing really to suggest that it's about to get any better. I'm hoping to eat crow.

XV's script is handled by a different team.

Kazushige Nojima (Scenario Writer) worked on FFVII, FFVIII, FFX, KH1.

Jun Akiyama (Event Director) worked on

FF VII
FF Tactics
FF Tactics:WoTL
FF Tactics Advance
FFXII
FFXIV:ARR
Vagrant Story
KH1

That right there is already a lot more promising than what FFXIII had, in Toriyama and Watanabe.

Now I'm really curious to see if FFX HD collection (PS3+Vita) can beat LR:FFXIII's first week.

That would certainly send a message loud and clear.

Oh my god, according to what I'm seeing on google Dirge of Cerberus outsold this game's first week sales.

THIS GAME SOLD WORSE THAN DIRGE OF CERBERUS

Skilletor

So the decline of Mario 3d World is also connected to it sucking and people not being interested in Mario anymore.

Or it's connected to nobody owning Wii Us.

Trying way hard here. lol

Top Bottom