• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII launches in Japan with low sales of 277k

RPGCrazied

Fighting those bombs was awesome.

Kingbomb.jpg

Man. I hope we get a HD remaster of that game.

Diablos

FFXV will definitely suck. Suck in the way XIII did. That means: it's a masterpiece but people don't like the series and are very loud about this. If FF7 was released today it'll be considered a shit. Jump on the wagon!
FFXIII is not a masterpiece. It has an amazing battle system that was never utilized properly, and the first XIII had a brilliant OST that transcends game OST's. That's it. It is far from a masterpiece, it is deeply flawed.

To somehow assume that people will instantly hate FFXV is stupid. People gave XIII a chance too. People will be eager to play it just like they were eager to play XIII. How good or bad the final product will be is a huge question mark right now. I am not confident they will get it out on time, and may end up being a rushed job. But that doesn't necessarily mean it will be as flawed as XIII. The bar is low.

Elvick

Banned
FFXIII was a brilliant, underrated game. Yet the classic types of people who hold back RPG's were overly vocal and forced Square Enix to release a title that catered more to 'fans'. As a result FFXIII has lost everything, and nothing has been gained overall
I love JRPGs and I'm perfectly open to new ideas, I bought Resonance of Fate day 1. Bought Valkyria Chronicles 1 & 2 and other "new" ideas in JRPGs. But... unlike those, FFXIII was horrible. And I loved FFXII as well. XIII is just a bad game from a developer with such a pedigree.

There's no justice when Valkyria Chronicles 3 isn't localized, but we get a 3rd FFXIII game without question. Bleh.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I suppose to save my Waifu the west should in mass buy it. Let's make a 2/3ml sales here and call it a day. All of you: out to preorder for the preservation of the franchise, series, genre and all! Let's all make a proud achievement for something we care! Let's save what we love! Let's save our hobby!

Some of the damage control done by... well, you know who, really disturbs me.

Like, it's always "the home market in Japan is shrinking" rather than just admitting that perhaps the audience is just not interested in the XIII universe anymore. I mean, relying on the former so much ignores the elephant in the room that it was outsold by Grand Theft Auto V of all things.

The Wii-U argument :)

LuuKyK

Some of the damage control done by... well, you know who, really disturbs me.

Like, it's always "the home market in Japan is shrinking" rather than just admitting that perhaps the audience is just not interested in the XIII universe anymore. I mean, relying on the former so much ignores the elephant in the room that it was outsold by Grand Theft Auto V of all things.

Every game was outsold by GTA V, which is the most expensive game of all times btw. Not seeing how it is important, especially considering how rushed and low-budget LR was.

No. FFIX had the better System.

I'll give your char design, but it's stil a tight contest.

Vivi > All FFXIII. The rest of FFIX cast is not brilliant though. I like Freya.

I thought FF9 had excellent and compelling characters that you empathize with and care about.

Leaps and bounds above XIII. Even if you weren't a fan of the Art design FF9 had heart and soul

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Also those of you who said it was expected to have these numbers but touted that it would beat XIII-2, do not lie. We know who you are.

Dark_castle

One hidden great news about LR's bomb in sales for Japan hasn't been pointed out.

We might be free of Toriyama in future FF title!!
raptor-jesus-rave-camp.gif

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Guys, not even defending anything, but you really don't want to get into the sales equate quality argument.

VariantX

Even Japan has had enough of Toriyama's shit. No way in hell should this game been stretched out to two more full games.

survivor

Banned
Every game was outsold by GTA V, which is the most expensive game of all times btw. Not seeing how it is important, especially considering how rushed and low-budget LR was.

He is talking about Japanese sales only where GTA5 didn't outsell every game. I think it's a relevant point that a western game outsold a console FF title in Japan.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I dont hate IX, I like it but I prefer VIII (yes 8) more than 7 and 9, actually its my faviurite FF that i've played

My feelings exactly. Just proving once again what a divisive franchise it is.

Which is why it saddens me seeing all this triumphalism over LR's sales.

Jolkien

Pretty sure I recall reading in an interview that FFXV will have an ending on it's own but the world will be used for other game.

And from Wikipedia In an interview with Famitsu, Tetsuya Nomura said that the world of XV would be continued in future games, though XV would have a definitive ending. He also, in the same interview, assured that fans would not have to wait as long as they needed to for XV, saying that, to that end, Square Enix were considering using online content or future episodic releases to keep fans interested in the game's world

Not sure how I feel about the bold part.

MechaX

I think you may want to check what side of the planetary hemisphere I'm talking about and how GTA games, let alone western games usually sell over there period first. (PS: Low budget is not much of an excuse for dismal sales).

Isn't FF7 the all time best seller on PSN? Probably sold and made more money on PSN alone than this :)

The visuals haven't aged well but the gameplay, story and mechanics are still some of the best in the series

I would recommend trying some of the MODs for the PC version (both for gameplay/difficulty balancing as well as visuals) if you want to modernize the game a bit

You'd be amazed at how much care and love has been put into some of the best FF games

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
There used to be a graying tower alone on the sea.
You became the light on the dark side of me.
Love remained a drug that's the high and not the pill.

But did you know,
That when it snows,
My eyes become large and
The light that you shine can be seen.

Baby,
I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the gray.
Ooh,
The more I get of you,
The stranger it feels, yeah.
And now that your rose is in bloom.
A light hits the gloom on the gray.

ibrGEI8NrDywHv.gif

RIP Toriyama's waifu.

Can we please get FFXII:I:ZJS HD before you die, Square? Please?

Lain

I suppose to save my Waifu the west should in mass buy it. Let's make a 2/3ml sales here and call it a day. All of you: out to preorder for the preservation of the franchise, series, genre and all! Let's all make a proud achievement for something we care! Let's save what we love! Let's save our hobby!

My EU copy has been preorder for a while. My duty for my waifu has already been done.
I'm still waiting on the OST though. maybe SAL wasn't the best choice there.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
Expected

-the wider audience was too tired for a second sequel
-brand recognition was taken away by naming the game LR (which made sense in Square's head)
-all familiar faces with almost no new characters ( XIII-2 had Noel, Yeul and Caius)
-no classic FF boxart with Yoshitaka Amano logo on the cover
-with the new gen starting the graphics are a step backwards even compared to the original FF XIII
-the trailers in general were hastily done and not that exciting if you weren't into the game already

+people like me can't wait to see Benivelze return ! (but seriously it's really cool they bothered with a brand new game instead of trying to wrap up the story of XIII-2 with a DLC)

Who said? I guess I did recall them saying they might if X/X-2 HD did well enough.Which I'm sure it will. Time will tell I guess.

Sorry, I meant that's my guess.
It's not confirmed by anyone really.

I thought FF9 had excellent and compelling characters that you empathize with and care about.

Leaps and bounds above XIII. Even if you weren't a fan of the Art design FF9 had heart and soul

The bold part is absolutely true. But I think that's has more to do with the story than the char design itself.
I mean. Look at Kina, Steiner and Amarant. Half the cast has no development and are simply not interesting.
Vivi is god tier FF. Dagger & Zidane are Tier 2.
So it is a tight contest.

But let's not derail the thread any further.

seady

The way they market this game is just complete fail.

They keep on milking spin off to a game that got bad reps in the first place.

As a person that didn't play FFXIII because of all those bad reviews, I am not even familiar with the world and characters in it. Why would I even bother to play its sequels?

My wife and I both gave up on FFIX pretty quickly because of the slowness and unappealing characters. FFXIII has plenty of issues, but at least no one had a tail.

Thats a damn shame

I think you would have been pleasantly surprised by the game if you played through it all

Asd202

Its a committee, they can veto everything he says.

*Normura proposing an idea*
Nomura: So what do you guys think?
Toriyama: Well I thnik you should *gets interrupted*
Yoshida: No.
Toriyama:Huh why?
Yoshida: Your games sell like shit.

Something like this?
Don't get angry at me it's just a joke :p

LuuKyK

So you're not seeing red lights flashing when a flagship Japanese franchise is out sold by a western game in the Japanese market?

No. GTA V is a much bigger game than LR. A game people were expecting for years treated as one of the biggest and most expensive game ever. LR is the second sequel to a very divisive game, that was made in less than two years. Still, if you consider XIII-XIII-2 and LR together they sold a lot more than GTA V in Japan (even XIII alone actually) so I don't see how this is a valid comparison at all.

Do you like FF or did you only enjoy FF13? I don't see why you want FFXV to fail.

Also sales don't effect your enjoyment ^^ I've had so much fun with numerous games that have bombed, didn't make the games any less fun :)

I was joking, I am very much looking forward to XV as well. :)

Its just hard to enjoy and post your impressions about a game everyone is to busy make lame jokes about. But it will end eventually.

Do you like FF or did you only enjoy FF13? I don't see why you want FFXV to fail.

Also sales don't effect your enjoyment ^^ I've had so much fun with numerous games that have bombed, didn't make the games any less fun :)

Seriously though.
Just played through the LR demo...and I kinda can't wait to get the full thing :x

spekkeh

Banned
This has nothing to do with Lighting, and everything with the fact that the Japanese market is DEAD. That waifu game still outsold Mario 3D World 3:1. Wii U sales haven't been able to make a dent in the handheld games. People thinking it's due to Lightning and FFXV will again sell megaballs are deluding themselves.

In fact I'm starting to become more and more positive that Nintendo's consolidation into Japan is precisely why they're in this crap.

Edit: though sonicmj1 may have a point that the console market is simply turning western oriented because of years of dominating in terms of quality. The end result though is the same for Japanese style games.

Asd202

No. GTA V is a much bigger game than LR. A game people were expecting for years treated as one of the biggest and most expensive game ever. LR is the second sequel to a very divisive game, that was made in less than two years. Still, if you consider XIII-XIII-2 and LR together they sold a lot more than GTA V in Japan (even XIII alone actually) so I don't see how this is a valid comparison at all.

Well umm okay.

Sorry, I meant that's my guess.
It's not confirmed by anyone really.

The bold part is absolutely true. But I think that's has more to do with the story than the char design itself.
I mean. Look at Kina, Steiner and Amarant. Half the cast has no development and are simply not interesting.
Vivi is god tier FF. Dagger & Zidane are Tier 2.
So it is a tight contest.

But let's not derail the thread any further.

Amarant and Quina yes

But Steiner was one of the most dynamic characters ever and has the biggest transformation.

You start out hating him and then you see how his faith is tested and betrayed and he even finds a friend going through the same feelings in Beatrix when he thought he was alone (i really need to replay this game again as i might be fudging some details)

He goes from mindless loyal soldier to becoming his own man. Loved his character

MechaX

LuuK, let me ask you a very simple question before I respond to your post in earnest.

These "people..." Did they happen to be English speaking "people"?

Top Bottom