• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII launches in Japan with low sales of 277k

First step is to stop recycling environment like mad. I'm looking at you, Tales of Xillia.
That was honestly one of the worst things about Tales of Xillia for me.

The towns are absolutely beautiful. But the outside terrain definitely did become repetitive.
It's still a great game, but I hope their future titles don't make that mistake. Especially since they should have the funding from the success of Tales of Xillia and Tales of Xillia 2.

I also felt like the overused crawling holes. Particular as most of them didn't lead anywhere and were identical to others.

Pretty much expected low sales for this game. Hopefully it will give SE the message that we don't want trilogies for our main series FF games.
Who are we kidding, they probably still made a profit on this game considering the low budget it likely had.

In any case, I still plan on picking this up in Feb next year.

sonicmj1

No. GTA V is a much bigger game than LR. A game people were expecting for years treated as one of the biggest and most expensive game ever.

In Japan, GTAV sold more in one week than its incredibly-expensive predecessor sold in its entire lifetime. It wasn't being purchased just by fans of the original eagerly anticipating a sequel.

The market is changing.

dramatis

-the wider audience was too tired for a second sequel
-brand recognition was taken away by naming the game LR (which made sense in Square's head)
-all familiar faces with almost no new characters ( XIII-2 had Noel, Yeul and Caius)
-no classic FF boxart with Yoshitaka Amano logo on the cover

-with the new gen starting the graphics are a step backwards even compared to the original FF XIII
-the trailers in general were hastily done and not that exciting if you weren't into the game already
What do those have to do with LR's low first week sales?

LuuKyK

LuuK, let me ask you a very simple question before I respond to your post in earnest.

These "people..." Did they happen to be English speaking "people"?

GTA is a worldwide famous franchise. It sells better in the west, but that doesn't make it any smaller everywhere else.

DJwest

Fighting those bombs was awesome.

Kingbomb.jpg
Hnnnnnngggghh. The world needs an HD re-release of this game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Super Mario 3D in Japan!

Galaxy 2 did just as well as Galaxy 1 in Japan. In fact, its week-one sales were better!

If you're talking about 3D World, that is a whole different generation, and it's the only 3D Mario on its platform, so it makes a poor comparison with the FFXIII trilogy. You could just as well include the 3DS and note that 3D Land ultimately sold more than either of the previous two 3D Mario games.

With Mario you're talking about a one-game dive for 3D World that is almost entirely attributable to its platform's tiny user base. With FF you're talking about a three-game sequence of radically diminishing sales for games on the same platform.

Goli

Expected

-the wider audience was too tired for a second sequel
-brand recognition was taken away by naming the game LR (which made sense in Square's head)
-all familiar faces with almost no new characters ( XIII-2 had Noel, Yeul and Caius)
-no classic FF boxart with Yoshitaka Amano logo on the cover
-with the new gen starting the graphics are a step backwards even compared to the original FF XIII
-the trailers in general were hastily done and not that exciting if you weren't into the game already

+people like me can't wait to see Benivelze return ! (but seriously it's really cool they bothered with a brand new game instead of trying to wrap up the story of XIII-2 with a DLC)
Didn't they do this because they said it was a big departure from previous FF games? That's why I don't think even SE put much credit in LR, and also why I think the sales' decline isn't that bad. If this had been called FFXIII-3 it probably would have received a lot more attention, a bigger budget and better marketing. But it didn't and it didn't sell well because everyone knew it wouldn't, but they probably went ahead with it since it allowed them to re-use a lot of assets from XIII and XIII-2 and thus spend less on developing while still turning out a profit despite lowered sales.

LordJim

Very elaborated response buddy. Might want to improve that rhetoric maybe? ;)

3 releases of an extremely popular brand in Japan selling all together better than a western game (when bigger successes than ANY FF title worldwide have barely sold 1 mil in Japan overall) is not something worth mentioning.
As far as Final Fantasy games go, LR is a failure no matter how you spin it.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
What do those have to do with LR's low first week sales?

I'd say those are the most critical when you go and buy a game on its first week.

.........But it didn't and it didn't sell well because everyone knew it wouldn't, but they probably went ahead with it since it allowed them to re-use a lot of assets from XIII and XIII-2 and thus spend less on developing while still turning out a profit despite lowered sales.

actually Square's rationalization for the name and marketing was completely different (but equally wrong)

Toth

Please, I am not crying, only forced to resolve that the title was in expectations and did not exceed them like I hoped. I would love to hear SE's take on it before calling it anything though.

Though there was one thing: If Xilia 3 was released, do you not think it would have the same decline 2 did from 1? Honest question.

jmcoo7

Banned
As a long time fan of Final Fantasy, I'm glad this tanked its about time SE took a long hard look at themselves, and stopped turning each game in the series into a lot of spin offs. Hopefully XV will be one game and have a start,middle and end to the story.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Didn't they do this because they said it was a big departure from previous FF games?

Which is bullshit smoke blowing. This is Final Fantasy XIII-3 as far as the story is concerned, yeah?

Valnen

Some of the damage control done by... well, you know who, really disturbs me.

Like, it's always "the home market in Japan is shrinking" rather than just admitting that perhaps the audience is just not interested in the XIII universe anymore. I mean, relying on the former so much ignores the elephant in the room that it was outsold by Grand Theft Auto V of all things.
I imagine anyone that was interested in and liked the first two games will be buying LR because of the cliffhanger.

LuuKyK

As a long time fan of Final Fantasy, I'm glad this tanked its about time SE took a long hard look at themselves, and stopped turning each game in the series into a lot of spin offs. Hopefully XV will be one game and have a start,middle and end to the story.

Too bad for you then, that they are already implying it will have sequels just like XIII.

Yes please

Although I am not a big fan of them butchering their classic games in the Mobile space....

Well FF5 anyways. The FFTactics Visual upgrade for IOS looked nice. Is that even out yet?

I don't understand the meanness toward Toriyama and Lightning that comes out of these threads. Lighting could be a more interesting character, and she is certainly given more spotlight than many would enjoy for someone of her characterization. And Toriyama may be a poor influence in Square Enix more than a help. And I know it's mostly a joke but it seems like there's probably a bit too much earnest negativity toward Toriyama that goes around.

I think that people's dissatisfaction can be expressed better than this. There always seems to be so much malice in topics like this.

Skilletor

Yes please

Although I am not a big fan of them butchering their classic games in the Mobile space....

Well FF5 anyways. The FFTactics Visual upgrade for IOS looked nice. Is that even out yet?

Came out months ago. It was on sale recently.

I don't understand the meanness toward Toriyama and Lightning that comes out of these threads. Lighting could be a more interesting character, and she is certainly given more spotlight than many would enjoy for someone of her characterization. And Toriyama may be a poor influence in Square Enix more than a help. And I know it's mostly a joke but it seems like there's probably a bit too much earnest negativity toward Toriyama that goes around.

I think that people's dissatisfaction can be expressed better than this. There always seems to be so much malice in topics like this.

I think she's a cool looking character, so no hate from me, but if a character I hated was featured in the only FF games on a console in a generation, I might be a bit frustrated.

Goli

I'd say those are the most critical when you go and buy a game on its first week.

actually Square's rationalization for the name and marketing was completely different (but equally wrong)
What was the reason? I'm trying to remember but I can't and am to lazy to search. I still think this isn't as much as a big deal as people are making it out to be, but I'm curious.

Which is bullshit smoke blowing. This is Final Fantasy XIII-3 as far as the story is concerned, yeah?
It is.

I wish they would make that available on Vita or something

They ever fix the slowdown?

iOS version has no slowdown unless you play on old hardware.

Valnen

This won't cause them to take a hard look at themselves, this will only push them more toward mobile development. The only thing that will make them look at themselves as a company is if FF15 sells VERY well.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

People seem to believe FF13 trilogy took SE's time from developing other, better games.
When really it was FF14 that did that.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Good to hear. Such a waste of resources on this series. Fuck Square for never giving me a proper Final Fantasy Tactics sequel.

No. :/

iOS is the best version, imo.

Ewww

Guess Ill play WOTL 1.3 mod then if I ever want to replay it

Can't believe a modder fixed that bug so fast and SE themselves releases the game several times with all of these other updates and yet cannot fix THAT.

Its VERY annoying

TheSeks

Should it not be? He was talking gameplay.

He may be talking gameplay, but that's missing the point: As far as fans are concerned, it's "Final Fantasy XIII-3" naming it something else because of the different gameplay elements is bullshit.

Lightning is a shit character in a shit series and I am manifesting actual physical signs of pleasure at the news that she continues to ride the bomba into the ground.

Go away and never return, Lightning, you were never wanted.

The more this bombs, the more incentive Square has to go mobile. Angers me that people are celebrating.
The hostage mindset that we need to buy shitty games in the hope of getting good ones angers me. If this is the best Square Enix can do then fuck 'em, they should go mobile.

TheSeks

People seem to believe FF13 trilogy took SE's time from developing other, better games.
When really it was FF14 that did that.

It's both.

FF14 shouldn't have ever been an MMO. But Square did it because 11 is the only thing making them regular cash.

13 bombing should've sent alarm bells ringing at Square to get vs13 out and then get to work on KH3 and FF14/15 ASAP.

Goli

Ewww

Guess Ill play WOTL 1.3 mod then if I ever want to replay it

Can't believe a modder fixed that bug so fast and SE themselves releases the game several times with all of these other updates and yet cannot fix THAT.

Its VERY annoying

Like I said they did fix the slowdown!

Lightning is a shit character in a shit series and I am manifesting actual physical signs of pleasure at the news that she continues to ride the bomba into the ground.

Go away and never return, Lightning, you were never wanted.

I think you're taking this too seriously.

Mr. RHC

It's almost a shame really.. watching the stream yesterday, they showed they can make things right.
The towns actually have living and breathing NPC's, plenty of small (music) easter eggs even, and a gameplay that looks somewhat engaging.
I really don't know what went wrong with XIII. If someone els had written it, and if it had not been a permanent corridor, then maybe this game might have sold more.

Vashetti

Banned
It's both.

FF14 shouldn't have ever been an MMO. But Square did it because 11 is the only thing making them regular cash.

13 bombing should've sent alarm bells ringing at Square to get vs13 out and then get to work on KH3 and FF14/15 ASAP.

Hold up, let's not let our dislikes overwrite facts here.

13 sold very well. It didn't fare well critically but it sold comparably to other mainline titles.

Top Bottom