• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lily Bergamo was turned into Let It Die

I'm not a fan of Japanese RPG's (or RPG's in general), not everyone grew up with SNES and shitty jrpg's. In my youth when it came to Japanese games it was Beat'em ups, Sidescrolling action that sorta stuff. Plus Xenoblade Chronicle X like all the anime tripe of the last few years. EPIC, MECHAS, DRAMA... When I read or watch Japanese manga or animation, it'll be something be old school 60s to 70s stuff like Eightman/Tabor or Space Adventure Cobra or 80s/90s stuff that made japanese animation boom in the first place in the west, like the ones directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri.

Between Devi's Third looking like tripe and Lily Bergamo being canned in favor of Let It Die, E3 2014 turned from great to poop.
Well you've got good tastes in anime, I'll give you that much.

C'mon Nintendo, you've already done the same for two other games.
Save it!

Bat-signal_1989_film.jpg
Totally different situation.

Jarmel

Banned
So they turned a title that I was somewhat interested in, to a title that I have negative interest in.

Ok. Well see you GHM when you come out with your next title.

Kssio_Aug

So they turned a title that I was somewhat interested in, to a title that I have negative interest in.

Ok. Well see you GHM when you come out with your next title.

Yeah, that announcement was the opposite of my 1st impression at E3. I thought "Oh, one more exclusive! Great!" now what I have in mind is "Shit, no more Lily Bergamo, and no interest on Let it Die! One game less... or maybe two!"

Does it really matter if it's going to be the same gameplay?

...I´d agree with you If we were talking about...say...a Nintendo game.

But Suda´s titles have mediocre, in some cases even downright awful gameplay and you enjoy them for...like everything else (visuals, story etc.)

facelike

Does it really matter if it's going to be the same gameplay?

I'm with you. What if all they did was change it from a female protagonist to a 'build your own character' but the gameplay, which they didn't show of Lily, is the same. Maybe Lily really looked like this the whole time or maybe the colors and the gameplay didn't work together.

Trust these folks to make the game they want to make and one they enjoy playing and it should be good at a minimum. Rather this than getting a game with great art style that isn't good. Also, word is it's FTP which means if we played as Lily, then customization would have been limited. What could they sell us if character customization is limited? Less than if they allow players to create their own avatar.

Let them finish the game.

So outside of a game title, a vague description of the game and concept art did Suda51 ever reveal anything else about Lily Bergano?

Because if that's the case than I don't see what everyone is so upset about outside not liking Let it Die since at that point Lily Bergano might as well not have existed.

A bunch of comments follow this line of thinking and honestly, you're probably right to some extent. We didn't really know how Lily Bergamo would play, though it turns out Suda and GungHo did talk about the game in more detail. I guess it's just that the initial trailer set a tone that was at least unique and stylish, whereas the initial trailer for Let It Die seems tailored specifically to alienate everyone who thought Lily Bergamo looked neat. In the end, Suda51/GungHo may not have changed very much about the gameplay (though now we'll never know), but even the few things we know we lost like a set protagonist and the art style/sensibility are sorely missed.

I feel like I can point you to dozens of games that let you GRR RAR STOMP ON HEAD GET XP METALLLLLLLLLLL ANGRY. I can't think of a lot of games that Lily Bergamo resembled, even if it was just a trailer. We could've been disappointed down the road when Lily Bergamo got fleshed out, but we KNOW we're disappointed now that it's turned into Let It Die.

Razzorn34

Lily was one of the first game concepts I saw that would push me to pick up a PS4. Fresh art style? Suda 51? Sold. This crap definitely doesn't have the same effect.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Crap, now I hate Let it Die more.

Bring Lily back, Suda! You bastards!

atomico

Bummer.

As much as I like Suda titles, I've learned to expect his games to have interesting/fun characters and/or stories but somewhat clunky mechanics.

With that in mind, I was looking forward to Lily Bergamo, as it seemed to fit the bill and (hopefully) have an at least an acceptable combat system. I was expecting another Remember Me.

Now, they killed the concept and visual style and turned it into an arena 3rd person shooter with generic zombie avatars? I'm outta here.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Is there a hashtag campaign already underway for this?

For what exactly? The ship has completely sailed. That game didn't even show any gameplay, we have a gameplay trailer for this. You can't expect them to cancel this game and unless your planning to fund Lily you can't expect them to restart that game as well.

Starting a campaign would be more than a little ridiculous.

zeopower6

Ah that would explain why i never heard about it then, dont like F2P anything (damn you Real Racing 3).

Well, if the concept for this game was essentially the same as what Lily Bergamo was going to end up like... the suspicions that Lily was going to be F2P were correct. No idea if it was mentioned officially anywhere.

I wonder if they had any gameplay for Lily at all or if the switch to Let It Die happened before that was even made.

First off, the game is free to play, a first for Grasshopper Manufacture. There’s no single player story campaign, instead you make your own custom character to fight other players – but not live. Instead, the game builds on other player’s character data. In fact, it’s this feature that is the reason it’s a Sony exclusive, and they are working closely to build on the infrastructure to make it happen.

Great, so it's F2P and its literally a moba, and there's no more lily bergamo.

Thank
you
Gungo
you
pieces
of
fucking
shit.

This is what happens when a FUCKING mobile company buys you out.

Sony is fortunate they have Bloodbourne, otherwise I wouldn't give 2 shits about buying PS4.

Socky

I'm mad as hell. Nor do I see how what little of what was shown of Let It Die compares in any way to what little was shown of Bergamo. At least Lilly had some friggin' character. /flips table

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
How is it possible to pass from what seemed to be a cel shaded single player action game with a female protagonist to a dark f2p shooter with custom characters?
Sorry but it's really hard for me to believe that this is Lily Bergamo, imo they just canned it and said that Let It Die is its new form.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
This makes me sad. Lily Bergamo looked really interesting but Let It Die looks beyond garbage.

tafer

Welp, count me as another gamer absolutely disappointed with this change.

I was almost repulsed with their thriller or whatever they showed up, and to think that the interesting concept we watched last year turned into this crap... ugh.

This dang thread.

There wasn't enough information on Lily Bergamo for anyone to draw any conclusions from. All we saw was Generic Animu Trailer and a chick in cosplay.

Keep it in your pants, thread. Jeez.

This dang thread.

There wasn't enough information on Lily Bergamo for anyone to draw any conclusions from. All we saw was Generic Animu Trailer and a chick in cosplay.

The charm in Suda's games come mostly from the characterization. It's not because it was "generic animu", it's because we went from named character to generic avatar.

So excuse me if I'm not as excited for it as I was.

Paracelsus

This dang thread.

This is not NieR Gestalt/Replicant, this is like one guy anticipating the new cc2 Naruto game and it turns out to be Gears of War.

Well, if the concept for this game was essentially the same as what Lily Bergamo was going to end up like... the suspicions that Lily was going to be F2P were correct. No idea if it was mentioned officially anywhere.

I wonder if they had any gameplay for Lily at all or if the switch to Let It Die happened before that was even made.

Oh ok, thanks for the clarification.

The art for LB looked nice, but the change to Let it Die is very strange one. Anime style to dirty basement serial killer? I'd like it if Suda 51 would do an interview about all this.

Stark

Banned
Oh ok, thanks for the clarification.

The art for LB looked nice, but the change to Let it Die is very strange one. Anime style to dirty basement serial killer? I'd like it if Suda 51 would do an interview about all this.

I doubt he'd talk. It's likely business decisions and they never go into that.

Dark_castle

Great, so it's F2P and its literally a moba, and there's no more lily bergamo.

Thank
you
Gungo
you
pieces
of
fucking
shit.

This is what happens when a FUCKING mobile company buys you out.

Sony is fortunate they have Bloodbourne, otherwise I wouldn't give 2 shits about buying PS4.
You do know Tales are going to come to PS4 eventually right?

You do know Tales are going to come to PS4 eventually right?

Just read about that after reading your post. I was really only talking about what games were shown at E3 that would influence my PS4 purchase sooner than later. There wasn't really anything I cared about except for Bloodbourne and Let it Die (which made me think there were 2 suda exclusives).

11c3ae18e545532ab2a27a1d9b0bc5fe.jpg

Top Bottom