• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lily Bergamo was turned into Let It Die

Meh the trailer from last year actually had me so intrigued, and the cell shaded graphics were top notch. But Suda is a visionary guy, whatever this game is, I bet is going to be as wacky as ever. The trailer certainly made it look like so.

ranmafan

Yeah just from the little bit we saw from the art and first video, Lily Bergamo seemed so much more interesting to me than this Let It Die. I would rather have seen something come out of those original designs than what we saw in this new Let It Die trailer. Oh well.

Road

Killer Is Dead bombed terribly, and albeit being by another publisher (Kadokawa), I can see how GungHo decided they didn't want to gamble the same way, cancelled Lily Bergamo, telling Suda he should do some cheap F2P thing instead if he wants to keep his job because that's how GungHo makes money these days -- with F2P.

I don't really see how anything of Lilly Bergamo can even be used on Let It Die. Maybe she'll be a costume/character you can buy.

Shadownet

Banned
I'm not a fan of Japanese RPG's (or RPG's in general), not everyone grew up with SNES and shitty jrpg's. In my youth when it came to Japanese games it was Beat'em ups, Sidescrolling action that sorta stuff. Plus Xenoblade Chronicle X like all the anime tripe of the last few years. EPIC, MECHAS, DRAMA... When I read or watch Japanese manga or animation, it'll be something be old school 60s to 70s stuff like Eightman/Tabor or Space Adventure Cobra or 80s/90s stuff that made japanese animation boom in the first place in the west, like the ones directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri.

Between Devi's Third looking like tripe and Lily Bergamo being canned in favor of Let It Die, E3 2014 turned from great to poop.

Way to go, dissing an entire gaming genre just because you dont like it. *look up*... Junior...

There are many great JRPGs out there you know?

Dascu

Outside of a brief trailer, we knew nothing about how that game would have played.

Other than that it would be an online action game with RPG elements and mobile integration. Published by the biggest (?) Asian F2P company.

AAK

Do we have any gameplay footage of Let it Die or Lily Bergamo? How do so many people know one game sucks compared to the other?

SykoTech

That's really terrible news. Worst of E3 so far, in fact.

Don't worry, I'll bring it back as a Wii U exclusive

I would be more than okay with this. But then I think about Devil's Third and how it looks twenty times worse than it did before (and it never looked good to begin with honestly), so uh...

Maybe it's best to just...let it die.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
My first time hearing about Lily Bergamo. After viewing the trailer I can't muster up the same disappointment everyone else is displaying. I thought Let it die looked interesting.

Road

Outside of a brief trailer, we knew nothing about how that game would have played.

What I wrote:

"I don't really see how anything of Lilly Bergamo can even be used on Let It Die. Maybe she'll be a costume/character you can buy."

means: "Nothing from Let It Die not even remotely resembles anything from the Lilly Bergamo brief trailer".

Saying it's the same game because they're both gonna have extreme action is like Kamiya saying Scalebound was Bayonetta 2 because both are gonna have extreme action.

Nyoro SF

Stylish cel shaded action game turned into a military battle arena...?

3KT72cF.png

I don't think I've seen such an inspired art direction turn into such generic shlock. The game looked like some weird Japanese Manhunt wannabe.

What I wrote:

"I don't really see how anything of Lilly Bergamo can even be used on Let It Die. Maybe she'll be a costume/character you can buy."

means: "Nothing from Let It Die not even remotely resembles anything from the Lilly Bergamo brief trailer".

Saying it's the same game because they're both gonna have extreme action is like Kamiya saying Scalebound was Bayonetta 2 because both are gonna have extreme action.

But you don't know anything about the gameplay of either game, so you don't have any idea why they are being called the same game. All you are talking about is art direction...

Pooya

But you don't know anything about the gameplay of either game, so you don't have any idea why they are being called the same game. All you are talking about is art direction...

It's not very hard to understand, they look like they belong to whole different worlds entirely. How that game turned into this isn't just the matter of art direction, the concept obviously looks entirely different. You don't simply go from that to this, but 'we didn't see gameplay' doesn't have anything to do with it. It's like I'm showing you a CG teaser for a Halo game but the end results is Call of Duty Modern Warfare. Yeah it's still a shooter like was claimed originally but to claim it's the same project that turned into this is hard to believe...

Lily Bergamo was supposed to have a world based on Kozaki's unique art direction, not just characters too. Now he's not even involved.

Gameboy415

Very disappointing news.

I loved Killer is Dead (and most of Grasshopper/Suda's other games) and was really looking forward to Lily Bergamo. :(

NateDog

This makes sense. The second I saw Lily Bergamo wasn't what we were being shown after Suda was mentioned at E3 I instantly questioned how Grasshopper would be working on 2 exclusive titles for Sony at once and thought something odd was up. It's a shame although we didn't see much of Lily, but the new title isn't up to my liking personally.

Very strange. I mean, we knew basically nothing about Lily and we know basically nothing about this, but from what we have seen/heard they seem miles apart conceptually and tonally. The worst part about it is that Lily was supposed to come out this year :(.

The titles looked completely different from what little we've seen of each. How the fuck does that happen?

I can believe a scenario where they were two separate game pitches and LiD won, but I just don't see Lily being retooled to be LiD.

Suda, I am disappoint. Get this F2P bs outta here and give me another Lollipop Chainsaw at least.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
So outside of a game title, a vague description of the game and concept art did Suda51 ever reveal anything else about Lily Bergano?

Because if that's the case than I don't see what everyone is so upset about outside not liking Let it Die since at that point Lily Bergano might as well not have existed.

see5harp

Seems weird to judge either of these games based on what amounts to concept art. Whatever Let it Die ends up being does not seem appealing at all though.

NotLiquid

Based on a 30 second cinema of an anime girl throwing a punch?

I like a lot of Suda's female characters, particularly those in No More Heroes, such as Alice Twilight and Holly Summers.

The promise of playing a highly stylized game with a female lead similar to those that has an interesting ability is infinitely more interesting to me than Suda doing what looks like his own spin of Manhunt. Doesn't matter if she's an anime girl or not.

I would be more than okay with this. But then I think about Devil's Third and how it looks twenty times worse than it did before (and it never looked good to begin with honestly), so uh...

Maybe it's best to just...let it die.

To be fair I don't think Devil's Third went the way it did on account of Wii U exclusivity. The original game under THQ used the engine that Darksiders 2 did and since the publisher is now different they probably had to rework it entirely. If anything Itagaki's team probably isn't that good.

Dascu

Crazy talk:

- The online RPG aspect of Lily Bergamo is being turned into Let It Die.
- The character design and whatever assets they have (and that goddamn Shinobu concept art) is being turned into No More Heroes 3.

Either way, it's a bit unlikely the hundred-man studio GHM is only working on Let It Die and that they wouldn't do anything with the original story/art designs for Lily Bergamo.

antibolo

Banned
It's like the worst possible outcome. Colorful game with female protagonist turns into free to play grimdark murder simulator.

Fuck everything.

SoldnerKei

GAF takes its anime female characters seriously you see.

well, she was waifu material, I can understand that

well, it's a shame, I was really looking forward to see more Yusuke Kozaki's designs, hopefully the'll pick it up sometime later

lupinko

C'mon Nintendo, you've already done the same for two other games.
Save it!

Bat-signal_1989_film.jpg

What's there to save? The game still exists, just as Let it Die.

Now if Nintendo should be saving anything it should be a Vanquish 2 with a remastered 60fps Vanquish 1 bundled in for Wii U.

Top Bottom